1. Post #1
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,832 Posts
    A few months ago I wanted to create something in Java. A game specifically. Since I have always been a huge fan of RollerCoaster Tycoon, I though I might as well try and make that.

I posted about it in the WAYWO thread and people seems to like it, but I always had one problem: It couldn't start from it's own .jar file.
    I fixed that error and now I might as well make a thread about it here.
    Download the .jar here
    And the source is avalible here

Controls are as followed:
    -Left click = Create/Raise
    -Right click = Remove/Lower
    -Buttons 1 through 5 selects the tool (Can also click on the icon)
    -Saved terrains will be saved in the same folder as the .jar file
    -Loaded terrains must be placed in the same folder as the .jar file and must be a .png
    -Loaded terrains must be 31*31 pixels

There are are few that either bugs or just aren't made yet:
    -You can make illegal terrain with no tile tied to it, but game wise it will still work. It will just be invisible.
    -Guests that start walking South East or South West will walk with double speed. It will be fixed if the tile they are created on are removed, or they pass over it again.
    -Cannot rotate items
    -Fountains don't animate

Feel free to report anything else and I might look into it some day

Progress is as followed:

Taken shortly after I figured out how to make the isometric grid and raise/lower tiles.
    Now you can raise a tile by 1 pixel per click, so not really RCT like.

Implemented a load/save feature of terrain.

It saves terrain into height maps like this. Each pixel is a corner of a tile.

A gif showing progress. It got a tree. Black parts are pavements connected to a nearby pavement. Gray tiles are connectionless pavement tiles.

I added guests that simply glides across the pavement

Then came the tree browser with 36 trees to chose from.

Someone asked for the elephant fountain, so I added that too. Together with benches, lamps and litter bins.

Terrain textures taken from ingame.

Together with pavement, also taken from ingame.

Then guests started walking and 4 different guest colors.

Download the .jar here
    And the source is avalible here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 85Programming King Programming King x 44Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    September 2001
    12,411 Posts
    I'm jealous. This is the one thing I always wanted to code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny x 96Agree x 22Dumb x 5Friendly x 1Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,611 Posts
    Wow, this is so amazing. Since it is in java already, you should eventually try to do an android port of it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4

November 2007
    355 Posts
    Mother of God ...

You should worry about copyright infringements though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    725 Posts
    Mother of God ...

You should worry about copyright infringements though.
    Follow OpenTTD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,971 Posts
    You could probably have someone make you ballin' custom sprites
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,756 Posts
    Follow OpenTTD.
    OpenRCT with multiplayer?

I could imagine that being fun in some way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 31 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,873 Posts
    Instead of making sprites couldn't you technically just add in a model / voxel renderer right in game , bypassing the massive sprite files used?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,042 Posts

Everybody gets the same map.
    Who have the best rating after X number of years? Who had most satisfied guests after X number of years?

Who can make the best rollercoaster?
    CO-OP - Can two or four brothers agree on how to build a rollercoaster let alone a theme park?

GOD the possibillities!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

10. Post #10
    Zyx
    February 2005
    2,832 Posts
    It's never too late!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2011
    255 Posts
    Awesome, one of my most favourite games of all time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

12. Post #12
    September 2010
    2,362 Posts
    Chris Sawyer approves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    July 2009
    7,351 Posts
    Nice! However its pretty sluggish on my computer and does this:

Best of luck, anyways!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Zyx
    February 2005
    2,832 Posts
    Nice! However its pretty sluggish on my computer and does this:

Best of luck, anyways!
    That's because I don't check for illegal terrain when raising/loweing. And since it cannot find a tile texture fitting it just doesn't draw any.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    If you need any help with coasters gimme a shout, I'm somewhat of a coaster enthusiast...
    Include all the B&M's / Vekoma's / Intamin's/ Mack's / Huss' you possibly can.

16. Post #16
    June 2010
    1,341 Posts
    Love it! I'm gonna poke around in the source and pick up all your bad coding habits :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

17. Post #17
    February 2008
    559 Posts
    RCT is such a damn good game. I'm not sure if you're continuing but I still think you should load graphics from the original files. They've been documented and cropping stuff out and arranging it in paint is a fast way to get nowhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    November 2007
    407 Posts
    Well you do run a game development company now. I know I'd buy it along with the million and one other people who loved these games ;)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,636 Posts
    Well you do run a game development company now. I know I'd buy it along with the million and one other people who loved these games ;)
    I don't think he'd be able to sell it though, copyright infringement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    July 2009
    7,351 Posts
    I don't think he'd be able to sell it though, copyright infringement.
    Doesn't have to be a rollercoaster tycoon

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,971 Posts
    Doesn't have to be a rollercoaster tycoon
    He can make a similar game, "Carnival Owner"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,538 Posts
    He can make a similar game, "Carnival Owner"
    I must say, "Carnival Owner" doesn't really have the same exciting ring as "Rollercoaster Tycoon".

Personally, I'd go for "Funfair Overlord".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic x 5Winner x 3Funny x 2Programming King x 2Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    I must say, "Carnival Owner" doesn't really have the same exciting ring as "Rollercoaster Tycoon".

Personally, I'd go for "Funfair Overlord".
    "Enjoyment Captivator"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2010
    1,568 Posts
    Rollercoaster "Accident" Simulator
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 33Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    In the style of the ever popular "Maurice" I present to you...

Not Rollercoaster Tycoon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 10Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    April 2011
    3,179 Posts
    Are you going to continue updating and adding things?

Edited:

If you were to add modding support, this could get big
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Zyx
    February 2005
    2,832 Posts
    Are you going to continue updating and adding things?

Edited:

If you were to add modding support, this could get big
    Unfortunately I don't see myself working on this project anymore. When I made it, I had only worked with Java for a grand total of 1 year, so I'm pretty sure I have made a lot of mistakes, that makes it too messy to work with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,569 Posts
    You should stick with it - rewrite anything that is unwieldy, but resist giving up on it, and resist starting over. You'll probably find that most of your code isn't as bad as you think.

There's a subtle reason that programmers always want to throw away the code and start over. The reason is that they think the old code is a mess. And here is the interesting observation: they are probably wrong. The reason that they think the old code is a mess is because of a cardinal, fundamental law of programming:

It’s harder to read code than to write it.
    http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articl...000000069.html

And as this thread is testament to, there are many here interested in an open-source RCT game!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    October 2009
    4,252 Posts

Please please please PLEASE let this happen!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    September 2006
    26 Posts
    Maybe we could get some kind of Facepunch community collaboration project going to make this game? Seems to be quite a lot of demand for a multiplayer RCT game!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 6Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,538 Posts
    Maybe we could get some kind of Facepunch community collaboration project going to make this game? Seems to be quite a lot of demand for a multiplayer RCT game!
    It'd probably end up in flames like most (every?) other community collab project, but good luck all the same
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    We should use git.

Edited:
    If we're not using git I'm quitting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,538 Posts
    We should use git.

Edited:
    If we're not using git I'm quitting.
    no we should use svn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    no we should use svn
    Fuck you you asshole you can't even program
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,538 Posts
    Fuck you you asshole you can't even program
    fuck off i know html and variables
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 39Programming King Programming King x 8Winner Winner x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    fuck off i know html and variables

(User was banned for this post ("Image macro" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Funny Funny x 17 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,017 Posts
    It'd probably end up in flames like most (every?) other community collab project, but good luck all the same
    Thank god I saved this gem.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 48Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    April 2011
    8,182 Posts
    http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55628

Except that one was like "hey guys, I'm doing this super awesome thing"

Everyone else: "hey dude that's super awesome"

Dude then puts on okay face and thread dies.

39. Post #39
    December 2007
    209 Posts
    Out of curiosity

If someone did make an open source RCT and used the graphics of the original RCT like he did, what are the chances he gets sued into oblivion?

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,017 Posts
    Out of curiosity

If someone did make an open source RCT and used the graphics of the original RCT like he did, what are the chances he gets sued into oblivion?
    I would look at OpenTTD. Chris Sawyer does know about its existence but doesn't really care (or something along those lines).