1. Post #81
    October 2010
    11,778 Posts
    did some realism and destroyed people with my RO1 bolt-action hipfire skills

also naded my best teammate

but let's ignore that shall we?
    Did some realism also, I mostly just fucked around though

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts
    Does DoDS have realistic gameplay?
    No.
    What's "unrealistic" about Day of Defeat Source?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

3. Post #83
    August 2010
    1,382 Posts
    What's "unrealistic" about Day of Defeat Source?

Really?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    Dennab
    September 2011
    3,417 Posts
    Cut him some slack, he's a german and probably doesn't know better knowing the facist censoring laws regarding videogames his country has.
    You bloody burners of Lapland
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    I WOTCH ANIEM
    October 2008
    8,040 Posts
    You guys going to add the Bergmann MP-18?

6. Post #86
    July 2010
    3,731 Posts
    Cut him some slack, he's a german and probably doesn't know better knowing the facist censoring laws regarding videogames his country has.
    You bloody burners of Lapland
    just for your information, warsims like arma 2 and operation flashpoint are rated 16.

7. Post #87
    October 2010
    11,778 Posts
    just for your information, warsims like arma 2 and operation flashpoint are rated 16.
    And they are sometimes censored so that they can get those ratings also

8. Post #88
    July 2010
    3,731 Posts
    And they are sometimes censored so that they can get those ratings also
    Yes, sometimes, but sim games like ArmA and Operation Flashpoint are uncensored and rated 16. Also even if they get indexed we can still buy the games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    September 2011
    684 Posts
    You guys going to add the Bergmann MP-18?
    Now why would they do that

10. Post #90
    January 2006
    121 Posts
    Content!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    I WOTCH ANIEM
    October 2008
    8,040 Posts
    Now why would they do that
    The first SMG in the world, used by the Germans?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    September 2009
    2,276 Posts
    Are they're bayonets / other melee weapons ?

13. Post #93
    October 2010
    11,778 Posts
    Are they're bayonets / other melee weapons ?
    Yes, there are bayonets on all rifles and the MG gets a melee weapon (a trench club)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    June 2011
    26 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #95
    Ask me about my Guardians of the Galaxy fetish.
    September 2010
    8,751 Posts
    Needs more of these:

16. Post #96
    September 2011
    684 Posts
    The first SMG in the world, used by the Germans?
    How would they balance it? I don't believe the British had an equivalent.

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,772 Posts
    British Lee-Enflied has 10 rounds compared to Gewehr 98 5 rounds. So, this could be German privilage?
    Of course, it has to be limited to 1-2 guys like light mgs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    October 2010
    11,778 Posts
    You could add in shotguns, the Americans used them for trench warfare and the other team are the Allies, not just the British

Wikipedia posted:
    The decline in military use of shotguns reversed in World War I. American forces under General Pershing employed 12-gauge pump action shotguns when they were deployed to the Western front in 1917. These shotguns were fitted with bayonets and a heat shield so the barrel could be gripped while the bayonet was deployed. Shotguns fitted in this fashion became known as trench guns by the United States Army. Those without such modifications were known as riot guns. After World War I, the United States military began referring to all shotguns as riot guns.

Due to the cramped conditions of trench warfare, the American shotguns were extremely effective. Germany even filed an official diplomatic protest against their use, alleging they violated the laws of warfare. The Judge Advocate General reviewed the protest, and it was rejected because the Germans protested use of lead shot (which would have been illegal) but military shot was plated. This is the only occasion the legality of the shotgun's use in warfare has been questioned.
    Could be a nice equalizer against the German SMG in close quarters but be very ineffective at longer ranges

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,696 Posts
    Do you reckon we'll see some late war crazy time like customized weapons from soldiers or the famous german body armour?

Edited:

Edited:

Could be a nice equalizer against the German SMG in close quarters but be very ineffective at longer ranges
    Thats a interesting idea, could make a nice class system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,109 Posts
    MP18 would be balanced by having an uncontrollable cone of fire, and the Shotgun balanced by the fact that it's a Shotgun.

21. Post #101

January 2012
    22 Posts
    Is hip-fire handled realistically in this game or does it spray 45 degrees away from where you're aiming
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    October 2010
    11,778 Posts
    MP18 would be balanced by having an uncontrollable cone of fire, and the Shotgun balanced by the fact that it's a Shotgun.
    Yes, it can also have a decent amount ofrecoil so that you can't just spray

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,696 Posts
    Maybe FP should make a group and organize some games, it could be fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,696 Posts
    Update:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/ww1-source...ry-2012-update

Summery

Classes:

The Marksman: Not quite a sniper, but a sharpshooter. Armed with a standard rifle, this class is tasked with picking off enemy at long range. Using his rifle with a small scope, the marksman must choose to take out individual infantry or tactical targets, such as officers and machine gunners. If cornered, don't worry too much, you will have a pistol - but you'll have very little ammo to support yourself with so make sure a friend is always handy to back you up!This class will be relied upon heavily for supporting regular troops as they advance across the battlefield.

The Bomber:The bomber does exactly what you think a bomber might do.He must advance across no mans land with very little ammunition for his pistol, but a whole load of explosive to make up for it. The bomber will sacrifice his main weapon for a good number of deadly grenades. Having reached an enemy trench, with the support of regular infantry, the bomber can easily clear the way with explosives.

The Machinegun Crewman:The machinegun crewman, a standard rifleman who must follow the machine gunner to protect and aid him. Not only can the crewmember defend the machine gunnner, but he can also resupply him. Carrying a further 200 rounds of ammunition he is absolutely invaluable to the machine gunner.These should all be in place for 2.0 along side the usual Rifleman, MG and Officer classes.

Webley MKVI

Stielhandgranate M16

Jam Tin grenade

Here's an early WIP shot of the battlefield at Ancre by our mapper Irish. Ancre saw a great deal of fighting in 1916.

Sneak peek at the new German model
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

25. Post #105
    January 2010
    829 Posts
    Hot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,246 Posts
    Em... Jam Tin Grenades are gonna be fun to use. Is their any differences from the average Mill?

27. Post #107
    October 2010
    11,778 Posts
    Em... Jam Tin Grenades are gonna be fun to use. Is their any differences from the average Mill?
    I'm hoping they're more random and unreliable but more powerful

think of how fun the risk would be

and is it just me or are these two new riflemen (sharpshooter and MG crew) both just straight upgrades from rifleman?

28. Post #108
    September 2011
    684 Posts
    Yeah, that was what I was thinking. It would be much better if they could cut down on the classes and increase specialization within the class. For example would be options on what to carry, like ammo for MG or a scope for the rifle.

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,382 Posts
    Yeah, that was what I was thinking. It would be much better if they could cut down on the classes and increase specialization within the class. For example would be options on what to carry, like ammo for MG or a scope for the rifle.
    Um you do realize that the Sharpshooter class will absolutely destroy MG positions right? Giving that option to everyone isn't a good idea, and, iirc, it wouldn't be very historically accurate. As for carrying ammo for the MG, any class can resupply an MG at the moment, so I'm assuming that the MG support class has even more ammo to resupply the MG with. Chances are that the MG ammo option wouldn't be chosen very much unless it was part of its own class.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #110
    October 2010
    11,778 Posts
    Um you do realize that the Sharpshooter class will absolutely destroy MG positions right? Giving that option to everyone isn't a good idea, and, iirc, it wouldn't be very historically accurate. As for carrying ammo for the MG, any class can resupply an MG at the moment, so I'm assuming that the MG support class has even more ammo to resupply the MG with. Chances are that the MG ammo option wouldn't be chosen very much unless it was part of its own class.
    I agree, but they still feel like completely straight upgrades

Even the MG and officer classes we have right now have very limited balancing so that they aren't straight upgrades from rifleman (MG can only fight with MG effectively and officer only has revolver) while these new classes are literally either rifleman with benefits (MG crew since they're the same but with MG ammo) or complete upgrades (scoped rifle with a secondary weapon)

I'm not saying we should do what Cardboard said but still, they should have some downside

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,382 Posts
    Imo the only new class that doesn't really have any downside is the MG Support class, and even then, it doesn't really have that much of an advantage over the other classes either.

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,246 Posts
    So.... When am I and other beta testers gonna be able to do the beta...?

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,504 Posts
    that bomber class sounds like epic fun

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,696 Posts
    Imo the only new class that doesn't really have any downside is the MG Support class, and even then, it doesn't really have that much of an advantage over the other classes either.
    They should consider unlocks for ranking, nothing like COD but say a pistol or maybe a extra grenade or some more ammunition for your gun as you become more experienced. But I think it should take you a while to earn those unlocks.

Edited:

artillery in the game needs to be more effective too, I've been in a lot of artillery bombardments and not been hit once. The shock wave alone kills people and the shrapnel coming off the shells.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

35. Post #115
    October 2010
    11,778 Posts
    artillery in the game needs to be more effective too, I've been in a lot of artillery bombardments and not been hit once. The shock wave alone kills people and the shrapnel coming off the shells.
    You kidding?

If you're good at accurately bringing down artillery you can murder half a team, I think it's at reasonable levels at the moment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

36. Post #116
    August 2010
    1,382 Posts
    Jam tin nades and the discnade for the Germans are going to explode on impact, but will most likely have a smaller detonation radius.

As for the balancing of the marksman class, we're thinking of giving him just the rifle so he can shoot/meele with the buttstock. The scope will be mounted on the middle of the weapon and not in the boltarea, thus making the scope very small, and it will most likely only magnify x2 or someting like that.

Hope that cleared it up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,504 Posts
    Jam tin nades and the discnade for the Germans are going to explode on impact, but will most likely have a smaller detonation radius.

As for the balancing of the marksman class, we're thinking of giving him just the rifle so he can shoot/meele with the buttstock. The scope will be mounted on the middle of the weapon and not in the boltarea, thus making the scope very small, and it will most likely only magnify x2 or someting like that.

Hope that cleared it up
    still is better than a regular rifle.

maybe buttstock requires 3 hits to kill.

Also should give regular soldiers a shovel for melee combat imo. So they have 2 melee weapons.

A full-on PVKII style melee system would be overkill but EPIC. Just imagine bayonet to bayonet fighting with blocking and everything, and slashing with knives and shit.

obligatory post

38. Post #118
    September 2011
    304 Posts
    Do you need HL2 to play this or just any source game?

39. Post #119
    October 2010
    11,778 Posts
    Do you need HL2 to play this or just any source game?
    I'm pretty sure just HL2, and only HL2

40. Post #120
    June 2011
    26 Posts
    All you need is Source SDK Base 2007, and since TF2 is now F2P, it's free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)