1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,078 Posts
    With current standings today, only 9% of American's polled said they supported Congress, which is a sad thing to ever hear about a government institution if you live in said country. So, we have a government which obviously seems corrupt, we have an extremely widening income gap, and our economy is so volatile it could bring depression to the world. So my question in short is, through your own opinion and facts, do you think our country is doomed, or are we seriously stressing out over small things while we're in a slow point?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...roval-903.html
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/21/opinio...ure/index.html - source for the 9% reference. Herpes is more popular than Congress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    949 Posts
    As a nation America has to become used to less luxuries and amenities. The entire American ethos needs to change. You are no longer the top dog. I mean if the Australian dollar can stay above parity with the US dollar for over 8 months (something that has NEVER happened before) and we are a country of only 22 million people then some serious questions need to asked regarding spending and investment in your country. You are a wasteful people (as a general rule) and you strive for excess. You don't invest anywhere near as much (percentage) into your own economy as other countries do and you haven't developed a single competitive industry since the arms race. You can't even get things into space the cheapest any more.

I''m sorry but I think America is pretty fucked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

3. Post #3
    May 2011
    3,056 Posts
    No, we're not doomed at all. If politicians would stop being slaves to their party, money, and ideologies, they might be able to put us on the right track to solving our problems.

4. Post #4
    It's doomed, The corporations have too much of a grasp on the economy and government.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #5
    A cardboard cut-out of a man.
    March 2007
    13,603 Posts
    It's doomed, The corporations have too much of a grasp on the economy and government.
    And public.

6. Post #6
    December 2009
    8,017 Posts
    Once those in power start caring about the people instead of the money,the country can continue living.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

7. Post #7
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    america is not doomed. if you believe that, then you've been reading too much sensationalism and not enough real news
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

8. Post #8
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,191 Posts
    America will live on because it's impossible to kill or suppress ideals. We've been going through bumps all throughout our history. It's almost as if every decade there's something new that's going to tip us over. They thought we were doomed during the Revolution, the war of 1812, the Civil War, the Depression and many more occurrences. We may go through radical changes and maybe even revolution and civil wars, but America in essence will always exist because that's what America does. In 200 years school children will read about the days when our nation was being corrupted by corporate interests and bribery, just as we read today about all the troubles we've gone through in the past. It's our job as Americans to keep the government in check. They work for us. If we are doomed than what does that say about ourselves? "American's fight for freedom" is just a term thrown around these days, but 200 years ago it sure as hell meant a lot. If it comes to that again than so be it. That's what America is about.

9. Post #9
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    11,406 Posts
    It's hit a bump. But if enough people keep insisting that it is doomed they'll end up dooming it.

10. Post #10
    August 2011
    272 Posts
    As a nation America has to become used to less luxuries and amenities. The entire American ethos needs to change. You are no longer the top dog. I mean if the Australian dollar can stay above parity with the US dollar for over 8 months (something that has NEVER happened before) and we are a country of only 22 million people then some serious questions need to asked regarding spending and investment in your country. You are a wasteful people (as a general rule) and you strive for excess. You don't invest anywhere near as much (percentage) into your own economy as other countries do and you haven't developed a single competitive industry since the arms race. You can't even get things into space the cheapest any more.

Even if the dollar goes through hardships it doesn't change the fact that the dollar is still the world reserve currency. America is still the largest single economy. Still dominates many of the industries it always dominated. It has the largest tech hub in the world. Largest naval base in the world. Largest film, Music, & Video game industry by revenue. It has had more scientific output than the majority of present Europe (& Australia). America has not lost its place as top dog. Even though lots of people seem to be trying to rush its time, lol. One of the great things about America is its a cultural labratory. Part of the reason its enjoyed so much success and was constantly innovating was because of this. From the music that came out of to its inventions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

11. Post #11
    March 2007
    115 Posts
    The USA is hardly doomed. It will just have to face the fact that its roll as the top dog has run its course, and that other countries will take over. Maybe it will return as king of the hill in the future, who knows.

For now, I'm cheering for China. If you ignore the last twohundred years, China has "always" been the economic superpower of the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,260 Posts
    Once those in power start caring about the people instead of the money,the country can continue living.
    Aka never.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    We've suffered through worse economic times.

14. Post #14
    Well seeing as the entire world's economy seems based around crude oil at the moment, once that shit runs out it's not just going to be the USA that gets fucked.

Though I will say the relative lethargy of the US isn't helping things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,192 Posts
    Doomed unless some drastic overhaul on how the government functions occurs.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,290 Posts
    The whole political system of America and other countries creates a deficit that has to end up somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

17. Post #17
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    August 2011
    3,555 Posts

Unless, some drastic change of course.

18. Post #18
    December 2011
    14 Posts
    america is fucked, lol. rest in peace the american dream its become a nightmare - get out of the country all folk who can afford it. your gonna lose your jobs and homes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

19. Post #19
    Dennab
    October 2009
    2,552 Posts

fuck you

Edited:

america isnt a democracy

(User was banned for this post ("This isn't how you debate." - Swebonny))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    With an inept government and an unsettled people, I feel like America is either going to fall apart and rise up from the ashes, or descend into a police state. It's up to the common citizen to decide which way it goes.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,441 Posts
    I don't think America is fucked, I mean it's not like we can't do anything about it. We've just had a large number of politicians in the past decade that have really not been working for the majority of the people at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

22. Post #22
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    11,406 Posts
    With an inept government and an unsettled people, I feel like America is either going to fall apart and rise up from the ashes, or descend into a police state. It's up to the common citizen to decide which way it goes.
    And they're going to say it already has become a police state and make it all fall apart hoping in vain that they can make it rise from the ashes.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    485 Posts
    It's a bump. We've been through worse.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    949 Posts
    America cannot sustain its level of consumption expenditure, they either need to change their social attitudes towards wealth and spending or they need to develop new and competitive industries. Without this America could not possibly hope to remain an economic super-power and will only remain at the big kids table because of their military strength.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

25. Post #25
    October 2010
    13,349 Posts
    But it's we consumers who make these evil corporations rich, right?

Hell, most of us would starve to death if these big corporations didn't drill oil, transport it, use it to create products and sell those products. Not to mention the production and transport and selling of food.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

26. Post #26
    November 2010
    5,336 Posts
    I don't see how America is doomed. Things are finally seeming to get back on track.

Every decade something happens and it's "The American way of life is doomed and so is the entire country, everyone convert your dollars to pesos and move to Mexico."

27. Post #27
    Kiq
    Buddhism is cool.
    July 2009
    1,892 Posts
    I don't think that America's doomed (what a dramatic word!). I just think it's hit another bump. I seriously, seriously doubt that America is done for anytime soon. At this point, though, that bump's turned into quite the hill...

28. Post #28
    Because a countries economic, social and political situation can never change.

29. Post #29
    Cheesy and delicious.
    August 2010
    6,455 Posts
    I believe that America has just hit a bump. Mind you, a really large bump, but I think recovery is still possible.

30. Post #30
    July 2011
    145 Posts
    There is hardly an emphasis on intellect or enlightenment in America. Most people are born into families of stupid/simple people and grow up in that sort of environment. It's actually pretty sad because they can't help it.

Anyone that listens to Joe Rogan or George Carlin will know what I'm talking about.

31. Post #31
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    11,406 Posts
    It's only doomed if people keep acting like it's doomed.

32. Post #32
    September 2009
    12,269 Posts
    You people think this shit is bad?

We're one of the few nations that have had their capitol city razed and burned and come back as a world power less than a century later.

33. Post #33

May 2011
    209 Posts
    america's not doomed its just on the downfall, same as the Spanish, the British, and the soviets your loosing grip on your economy. And in 20-50 years time the worlds "superpowers" will be the likes of India and china.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

34. Post #34
    November 2010
    5,336 Posts
    america's not doomed its just on the downfall, same as the Spanish, the British, and the soviets your loosing grip on your economy. And in 20-50 years time the worlds "superpowers" will be the likes of India and china.
    China is a superpower.

35. Post #35
    August 2011
    1,047 Posts
    fuck you

Edited:

america isnt a democracy
    :frog:

(User was banned for this post ("This isn't how you debate" - Swebonny))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,374 Posts
    America, if it continues to go along the path it is on, is doomed. It is time for our government, and our people to change.

Our government is inept, and incapable of affecting any positive thing to happen for our country, and our people are bereft and distracted by materialism and sloth. Nobody wants to work hard, or put effort into anything, they just want to get rich quick with no work. That's why america is declining.

But I'll be damned if something happens to America. I won't let it turn into a police state or further degrade itself. It's time we buckle down and work hard for our nation.

37. Post #37
    January 2009
    1,079 Posts
    If America really was doomed for ultimate collapse every time people said it was, we'd be on our fortieth government at this point.

38. Post #38
    China is a superpower.
    Not at all. Its economy is preparing for a crash and it has been found they have been subtly changing the value of their dollar to match American currency, their military and civilian technology is in a dumpster and the whole place is a human rights massacre.

39. Post #39
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,241 Posts
    Not at all. Its economy is preparing for a crash and it has been found they have been subtly changing the value of their dollar to match American currency, their military and civilian technology is in a dumpster and the whole place is a human rights massacre.
    Wow, you sure are looking at news and facts with a critical eye. No, its economy is not preparing or going for a crash. Yes, it's not a super power, and yes it has severe human rights issues. No there has been no "massacre" going on. No their military and civilian technology is not in a dumpster. No they don't use dollar. No they are not trying to make their currency equal to the US dollar.They have been undervaluing their currency.

I don't know if I even want to continue my post after all your weird assumption.

Edited:

And to answer the OP.

No I don't believe USA is going to "fall" or anything similarly stupid. Let me ask a question in return. How many successful nations have failed due to their own incompetence in handling their economy/politician?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

40. Post #40
    July 2011
    145 Posts
    Let me ask a question in return. How many successful nations have failed due to their own incompetence in handling their economy/politician?
    Rome.