1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,851 Posts
    Welcome to the first (Hopefully not the last) edition of the Facepunch Covers album. Basically the idea is to see whether or not people would be interested in doing an album of covers from their favourite musicians. If so, we'll put it up in GD and bandcamp like any other release, and maybe explore some other options depending on the quality of the material.

Song covers can be many things - but mostly they're the opportunity to explore another person's work and learn from the experience of performing and/or producing it. Whether you adapt it to fit under your own style, or keep it faithful to the original as a tribute is up to you! The main objective of this album is to learn from it, have a bit of fun and hopefully release an album in a similar vein to the Christmas album, with a nice concept that gets done quickly and cooperatively.

The guidelines are similar to that of the collaborative albums as Pepin has a great system going:

Important Information:

Anyone can enter!
    Anyone at all - if there are problems with the encoding or quality, it may not be accepted, but that will be up to discussion in the thread, when you submit.

Keep the song at least recognisable!
    Noone wants to hear a dubstep remix using one line of the song as a basis for a whole other song - if that's the case you might as well release it as your own. Mashups and remixes will probably have to be discussed.

Don't submit music that you aren't proud of!
    Self-explanatory. Pepin's got it right = if you don't like it, chances are we won't either.

Only one entry per person!
    If you have time to enter two tracks, you'd have time to improve on your first one. Furthermore, having a large amount of tracks on the album comparable to other artists is unfair to the other artist's submitting to the work.

No genre restrictions!
    Same as the collab album, but as an additional note - this includes the genre of the original track and the genre of your cover. I think the most interesting covers are those where the cover is a different genre to that of the original, and that's something that you may want to consider giving a try when submitting - it's more interesting and more fun.

Submissions:

Submit in .WAV
    If it's not WAV I'm not taking it, sorry. And as an important note, export it to WAV - don't convert it from another format to WAV. Don't give me a FLAC just because it's lossless. Give me a WAV so I can compress them all the same way so at least they sound similar.

Labelling:
    Filename must have your name and song title in it.

Submitting:
    So long as the link works I don't mind where you upload it - be it Soundcloud (which is probably a better option for you, because it means you can get easier feedback during the process. Seriously, if you don't have soundcloud, you should consider getting it). Other options include sendspace.com or my personal favourite, filepak.com.

Once you've uploaded it, test the link to make sure it works. Then, send it to me in a Facepunch PM with the following template:

Song title:
    Your artist name:
    The original artist's name:
    Description:
    Why you chose to cover the song:
    Music Page:
    Song Link:
    Example:
    Song Title: On Melancholy Hill
    Your artist name: killerteacup
    The original artist's name: Gorillaz
    Description: Acoustic cover of Gorillaz single 'On Melancholy Hill' released on Plastic Beach, featuring myself on acoustic guitar and harmonica or whatever, someone else on vocals, etc.
    Why you chose to cover the song: Sounds good or maybe I've had a deep emotional connection to it, or its significant to my musical style or makes me feel good.
    Music Page: www.soundcloud.com/example
    Song Link: www.sendspace.com/example
    Once done, I'll pm you if there's any problems, and pm you if there's not any problems saying it's all good. Then you can sit back and wait for release while helping other people finish their own covers.

Need any help?

If you need anyone to play for you or assist you in any way, you need only ask.

Currently available:

Killerteacup: Acoustic and Electric Guitar, Production (mixing and mastering)
    Vedicardi: Backing Vocals

Currently in need:

Noobcake - Drums and vocals
    Silverhawk79 - Has recorded bass part to Breed - Nirvana, needs other instruments

Additional Information:

Feel free (in fact, feel obliged) to post this elsewhere once it's done. I have no doubt that there will be some quality material if this gets off the ground. It would be nice to get this to reach a larger audience than Facepunch, so refer and refer! If you can, get it on a blog. If not, post it all over the net.

If you've already recorded a cover, you can throw it over to me, though it might be of more benefit to you personally to record a new one. Remember, this album isn't only a bit of fun, it's also a learning experience, in a very similar way to how illustrators and painters do photo studies.

To Discuss
    - Need album art
    - Do we want to allow mashups or remixes?

Song Submissions
    The Beat Goes On - Sonny and Cher (Vedicardi)
    Storm The Embassy - Stray Cats (Vedicardi)
    The Grand Medley - Various (Hakita)
    The Gaming Medley - Various (Hakita)
    War - System of a Down (Project Laser Storm/Guitarmonkey)
    One Must Fall 2097 - Kenny Chou (HulluV3)
    Green is the Colour - Pink Floyd (Hooky)
    Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (Pepin)
    Always & Never - Coheed & Cambria (Mr. N)
    Friday I'm in Love - The Cure (Falloutguy)
    Hit Me Baby One More Time - Britney Spears (kitteh-nator)
    Your Hand in Mine - Explosions in the Sky (K2cougar)
    Nocturne - Debussy (Thisispain)
    And that's about it! Now let's get cracking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

2. Post #2
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    I'm going to be doing a cover of "The Beat Goes On" by Sonny & Cher

Edited:

just sayin

Edited:

also I will do backing vocals for anyone that wants them

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,851 Posts
    Make it better than the Britney Spears version

Thinking of doing an acoustic cover of something, but not sure what yet. I'm going to have to scout around

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    it's going to be punk durrhhh
    whoops misread your post but still it will be so LEAVIN THIS HERE

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,409 Posts
    Are medleys allowed?

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    cover this

Edited:

Are medleys allowed?
    oooh shit

7. Post #7
    I am a pasty white nerd who gets offended for black people because I have nothing better to do
    July 2006
    5,941 Posts
    i might be up for this. i kind of want to cover planet caravan

8. Post #8
    May 2010
    174 Posts
    I have kind of been waiting for something like this. I'll have to pick a song from my acoustic set to cover.

9. Post #9
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I want to do something with Floyd, but I'm also afraid to.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,409 Posts
    I want to do something with Floyd, but I'm also afraid to.
    Why

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,851 Posts
    Because Floyd is one of the most unsuccessfully covered bands in existence

Also Hakita, medley's are fine by me. I'm more worried about mashups because while they're cool and all none of it is very original

12. Post #12
    September 2009
    1,347 Posts
    Would be neat if someone could do vocals or help me out with drums for a song.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,409 Posts
    Because Floyd is one of the most unsuccessfully covered bands in existence

Also Hakita, medley's are fine by me. I'm more worried about mashups because while they're cool and all none of it is very original
    Since I'm musically retarded, could you pretty please explain the difference between a medley and a mashup?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,851 Posts
    Since I'm musically retarded, could you pretty please explain the difference between a medley and a mashup?
    Fair sure medleys are sequenced in a specific order while mashups are two songs thrown together at once that fit and make a new song out of it

Medley:

Mashup:

That said, its all up for discussion if other people are cool with mashups too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,409 Posts
    Alrighty then.

Edited:

Oh and also, are multi-band medleys allowed or just medleys with songs by a single band?

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,851 Posts
    multi-band is cool too

17. Post #17
    April 2010
    7,683 Posts
    I either want to do an industrial/IDM cover of Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones or Depeche Mode. If not, I will gladly make some album art.

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    what is IDM

19. Post #19
    April 2010
    7,683 Posts
    what is IDM
    It stands for Intelligent Dance Music. It's stuff like Aphex Twin, Autechre or Download.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,851 Posts
    This will be the first time I might finish a product.

I'm going to either record Think You Can Wait by the National, or Codex by Radiohead

might need help with vocals for them though. Any takers?

21. Post #21
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    wow just ignore my awesome suggestion then

22. Post #22
    May 2010
    174 Posts
    Im willing to do vocals for some songs if you like my voice.
    http://soundcloud.com/chaoswithak/
    You can check my songs there, and I have gotten better since I recorded those.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,909 Posts
    This will be the first time I might finish a product.

I'm going to either record Think You Can Wait by the National, or Codex by Radiohead

might need help with vocals for them though. Any takers?
    I can help you with either, you already know my voice.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,409 Posts
    Just here to waste my 13,000th post before I start writing a song.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,851 Posts
    I can help you with either, you already know my voice.
    I do enjoy your voice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,909 Posts
    Let me know when you're done with the backing track and I'll sing over it.

27. Post #27
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    7,528 Posts
    I'll have a go at Artwork

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,079 Posts
    I can do lead or backing vocals if need be. I'll upload a bit of one of my performances a while ago. I'm probably going to submit a melody.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,409 Posts
    Well I just whipped up some cover real quick, because I am bored.
    I know that it's horrible and uncreative, but I'll post it anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    September 2009
    1,347 Posts
    It's horrible and uncreative, just like most cover songs are, thus it's perfect.

I just realized the song I want to cover is in Norwegian, so I'll have to figure out another way to get vocals, unless someone still wants to give it a shot. As for drums, they're supposed to go dodo-ka-dodo-doo-do-ka-dodo-ka-do-do-ka-dodo-kadodo-za-dum-pa-dum-pa-dum, with a bit of ksh-ksh-ksh-ksh. Anyone want to make that, or help me get a good drum soundbank and program to make it with?

31. Post #31
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    7,528 Posts
    Two terrible cover ideas

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2011
    771 Posts
    Are parodies allowed?

A cover with different lyrics, basically

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,409 Posts
    Two terrible cover ideas

I like the first one a lot, but you need to fix the capitalization on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    7,528 Posts
    I like the first one a lot, but you need to fix the capitalization on it.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,851 Posts
    Are parodies allowed?

A cover with different lyrics, basically
    Yeah, why not

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,409 Posts
    Oh and also, the Facepunch logo looks really out of place.
    Its not the correct angle and its the only thing with shadows in the picture.
    Oh and 'doing covers' is a bit low when compared to the other 2 lines of text.
    Sorry for nitpicking, but this kind of stuff REALLY bothers me.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,746 Posts
    The FP logo on the table should be a plain red without shadows and you should make it fit better. Other than that, perfect.

Edited:

Wow hakita thats mean as fuck

Oh and what about remixes?

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,409 Posts
    I also made these 2 while just messing around with Paint.NET, in case someone gets ideas from them.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    7,528 Posts
    Got an Idea but It'll require everyones help
    Essentially what I'll do its whatever songs we're coving I'll find the album its off and make a FP version of it and then sort them into a collage of sorts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,409 Posts
    I took the liberty of making a few changes to Zenpod's design.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)