1. Post #1481
    Self-Boosting Retard
    February 2010
    1,241 Posts
    isn't there a css3 filter for blur?
    Just checked syntax and tried it, no support in Chrome with or without vendor prefixing so practically speaking there isn't. I actually didn't think about filters though, thanks for the thought.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1482
    Dragon Member
    January 2006
    1,312 Posts
    The blur filter is apparently only supported in Chrome's alpha version at the moment: http://css-plus.com/2012/03/gaussian-blur/ (scroll down to "I think you could use it now actually").
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #1483
    June 2010
    488 Posts
    Working on a browser game where you program an AI for a bot and you fight with your bot against other player's bots.

Not gonna post screenshots or anything until I have it at playable state.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

4. Post #1484
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    I wrote this essay about the methodologies that GitHub use for Uni: http://www.haslehurst.net/post/20336...-methodologies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

5. Post #1485
    Upload Images
    April 2011
    737 Posts

A lot of things are still subject to change, please ignore the diversity in products.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

6. Post #1486
    September 2011
    256 Posts
    I'm not really very good with websites (I prefer desktop/mobile programming!) but I've been playing with javascript canvas for a bit and threw this together (open it for the animation)

http://baz.horsewell.co.uk/project

It feels like my computer is running in slow motion. When I looked at the picture I was expecting the BAZ logo to rotate around or something, I don't think the moving background image works at all well in its current state.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #1487
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    564 Posts
    Been working on a new Facebook app similar to "Draw Something" but with all your friends at once. Done it all in HTML5 so it should work accross all devices. Destructive testing and all feedback is welcome, but please let me know if you find anything serious.

http://apps.facebook.com/guesswhatgame/

I know the layout is shocking at the moment, i'm going to hire a proper web designer once I get the functionality properly implemented.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #1488
    October 2011
    2,166 Posts
    Been working on a new Facebook app similar to "Draw Something" but with all your friends at once. Done it all in HTML5 so it should work accross all devices. Destructive testing and all feedback is welcome, but please let me know if you find anything serious.

http://apps.facebook.com/guesswhatgame/

I know the layout is shocking at the moment, i'm going to hire a proper web designer once I get the functionality properly implemented.

error?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1489
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    564 Posts
    Urgh, that's weird :s. I'm using a free SSL certificate at the moment so that could be the problem. Is anyone else getting a similar error, or is it working?

10. Post #1490
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    get a cert from gandi for $12
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

11. Post #1491
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    978 Posts

A lot of things are still subject to change, please ignore the diversity in products.
    Needs more antialiasing on those prices - they look way too aliased.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #1492
    September 2011
    256 Posts
    Just checked syntax and tried it, no support in Chrome with or without vendor prefixing so practically speaking there isn't. I actually didn't think about filters though, thanks for the thought.
    How about using canvas?

http://www.quasimondo.com/StackBlurF...kBlurDemo.html

13. Post #1493
    October 2010
    116 Posts
    I'm not really any good at design but I wanted a website for a simple blog/place to host shit so I tried to design one, trying to make it as simple as possible. I feel like something is off but I don't know what, I was hoping someone here who has an eye for design might give me some feedback.

I think the background is too colourful or something, but I replaced it with something from subtlepatterns.com and it looked too black and white.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #1494
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    949 Posts
    I'm not really any good at design but I wanted a website for a simple blog/place to host shit so I tried to design one, trying to make it as simple as possible. I feel like something is off but I don't know what, I was hoping someone here who has an eye for design might give me some feedback.

I think the background is too colourful or something, but I replaced it with something from subtlepatterns.com and it looked too black and white.
    if you need quick nice looking backgrounds for personal work then colourlovers.com is your friend.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #1495
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts

The blog posts are definitely what doesn't look right, a border of some sort and possibly a different font would make everything look better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Europe Show Events

16. Post #1496
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #1497
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    I reckon the V should be moved to the right so that it's top right corner mirrors the top left of the Z, sorta like this (sorry for the crooked stroke):

Edited:

(other than that it looks awesome)

Edited:

(despite not knowing what it's for)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #1498
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #1499
    DPRKFC
    March 2012
    800 Posts
    This is beautiful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #1500
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts
    the hosting stuff is just a placeholder, probably going to make a blog or something out of the design so I can learn how to use wordpress

how's it coming along, waywo?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Europe Show Events

21. Post #1501
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts

Any advice?

Edited:

the hosting stuff is just a placeholder, probably going to make a blog or something out of the design so I can learn how to use wordpress

That orange/yellow aint great bro
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #1502
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    mm, I love this one

23. Post #1503
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I reckon the V should be moved to the right so that it's top right corner mirrors the top left of the Z, sorta like this (sorry for the crooked stroke):

Edited:

(other than that it looks awesome)

Edited:

(despite not knowing what it's for)
    he's got a point, your kerning looks off
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #1504
    October 2010
    116 Posts
    The blog posts are definitely what doesn't look right, a border of some sort and possibly a different font would make everything look better
    http://i.imgur.com/jpPew.png
    Does that look better to you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #1505
    Self-Boosting Retard
    February 2010
    1,241 Posts

So I decided to dump the blur (too big a hack - resizing from top-left corner created some rather interesting jerking motions that I can only think would be caused by the resize event being called BEFORE it actually resizes, so I fucked it off) and make it into a window style. I just finished the tab selector style for it too, at least for left-mounted tabs (I'll have support for left, top and bottom, but left is easily the hardest)

Once I've converted the tab selector into a functioning widget, I'll start on a custom scrollbar too. I haven't had this much fun in ages :D

Also, I just installed all the browsers again (FF11, IE9, Opera 11.62) and tested - had to change some code to use JQuery instead of native to get it to work in IE9, and added a background fallback for browsers that don't support multiple background images or linear gradients too (since IE9 doesn't - IE10 apparently does), but it works in all four now and looks fine. Testing in Firefox also fixed a bug with the tabs being the wrong height in non-Chrome browsers, as I wasn't manually specifying the height. Chrome just happened to have it right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #1506
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    A friend of mine has this facebook page where he posts a fact every day (Ronan's Interesting Fact of the Day) and I think it could be a good idea for a site, given that all the other 'daily facts' sites have shit design and aren't nice to use. What do you guys think of something simple like this:

http://i.imgur.com/PhHHb.png (bigger)

I think it would be quite easy to make it nice and responsive because it's so simple, and I think I'll make it so that the orange can be changed to other nice pastelly colours
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

27. Post #1507
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,760 Posts
    Does this work for everyone?

http://dynamicshadows.net
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1508
    Self-Boosting Retard
    February 2010
    1,241 Posts
    http://clockler.com/ui/

The code (as in the JS) is untidy as fuck right now but it's nice and usable (I always worry about people thinking my code is bad holy shit) and I didn't link the PT fonts from Google Fonts but w/e you get the point, right?

Also, anyone got any ideas or inspiration for nice scrollbars? I'm pretty sure I know how I'll do it code-wise but I just can't think of a good and fitting style for it. I was actually thinking that when I put content into it I could just avoid scrollbars entirely and instead use carousels where there's a selection of items to pick that I don't want to display all at once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #1509
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    http://clockler.com/ui/

The code (as in the JS) is untidy as fuck right now but it's nice and usable (I always worry about people thinking my code is bad holy shit) and I didn't link the PT fonts from Google Fonts but w/e you get the point, right?

Also, anyone got any ideas or inspiration for nice scrollbars? I'm pretty sure I know how I'll do it code-wise but I just can't think of a good and fitting style for it. I was actually thinking that when I put content into it I could just avoid scrollbars entirely and instead use carousels where there's a selection of items to pick that I don't want to display all at once.
    I had a go at something like this a few years ago, yours is looking a hell of a lot better than mine, good luck.

30. Post #1510
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    Code:
    [NOTE]
    You may have encountered a bug in the Ruby interpreter or extension libraries.
    Bug reports are welcome.
    For details: http://www.ruby-lang.org/bugreport.html
    Well, this kills my productivity.
    At least my front page is no longer requiring 36(!) queries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

31. Post #1511
    Code:
    [NOTE]
    You may have encountered a bug in the Ruby interpreter or extension libraries.
    Bug reports are welcome.
    For details: http://www.ruby-lang.org/bugreport.html
    Well, this kills my productivity.
    At least my front page is no longer requiring 36(!) queries.
    Stack trace? Info on what you were doing?

I've only seen this once before and it was because I was doing something wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #1512
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    Stack trace? Info on what you were doing?

I've only seen this once before and it was because I was doing something wrong.
    Fixed it by doing, err, something. Not sure exactly what. Stack trace was huge, and it resolved itself before I got around to redirect it to a file. With some luck, it won't happen again. If it does, I'll make sure to get the stack trace.

In other news, I'm working on a DCPU emulator in coffeescript. Not much to show yet, but it's already partially working.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

33. Post #1513
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Had a week of Wordpress at work which was kind of cool given that I'm a little bit of a masochist.

But seriously wordpress is shit and I hate everything about it.

Also bbpress is fucking terrible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1514
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    487 Posts
    Had a week of Wordpress at work which was kind of cool given that I'm a little bit of a masochist.

But seriously wordpress is shit and I hate everything about it.

Also bbpress is fucking terrible
    What are your thoughts of Obtvse?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #1515
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    What are your thoughts of Obtvse?
    had a look at the code

wasn't impressed

Edited:

mind you, this was way back when it first came out. It looks like it's improved somewhat since

Edited:

also work uses wordpress as a cms, rather than strictly a blog so something as simple as obtvse wouldn't cut it anyway

36. Post #1516
    Absolutely positioned elements inside relatively positioned elements are just about as under-rated as negative margins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

37. Post #1517
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    429 Posts
    Speaking of Wordpress. Time to hack in a poll-function in. Good lord what have I gotten myself in to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events

38. Post #1518
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    A few friends of mine made this: http://www.buddymeme.com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

39. Post #1519
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,137 Posts
    A few friends of mine made this: http://www.buddymeme.com
    Not a huge fan of the homepage with all the random people in the Twilk default sample background. Interesting idea though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #1520
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,134 Posts

Sorry for sounding like an idiot but how do you make websites have this simple look to them? Like do you make a lot of that stuff using code or do you go into photoshop and make the designs yourself or what? I really want to make a nice website :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)