1. Post #2321
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    Code:
    module 'name', ($, _, MarkDown) ->
      $('#btn').click ->
        # ...
    Not entirely sure if this is a neat trick or a horrible abomination...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

2. Post #2322
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Code:
    module 'name', ($, _, MarkDown) ->
      $('#btn').click ->
        # ...
    Not entirely sure if this is a neat trick or a horrible abomination...
    what's the trick
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

3. Post #2323
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    what's the trick
    Specifying dependencies in the argument names.

4. Post #2324
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Specifying dependencies in the argument names.
    I like it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2325
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    Decided to finish it, and was naive enough to think that a rewrite would result in cleaner code (in my defense, I've been up all night and barely got any sleep last night).
    Here's a demo, and the code.

6. Post #2326
    December 2007
    236 Posts
    Wanted to create a simplistic web page that's different from the linear layouts of most websites.
    Uses Ajax to load each page during the fade, and if it can't load it in time it shows a loading screen, but you don't see that considering it's hosted locally.

It also resizes depending on the screen resolution, so it'll always look the same regardless of the screen. The black bar at the bottom is as a result of recording Chrome, don't mind it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative x 1Funny x 1Optimistic x 1Disagree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #2327
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    Why not have it start the loading in the background on hover?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #2328
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    648 Posts
    I don't think that would end well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

9. Post #2329
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    I don't think that would end well.
    How couldn't it? When you go to a website do you hover over every link? I take it that the pages that it fetches are pretty small so it's not as if the server is going to be under heavy load.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #2330
    C:\
    March 2011
    1,749 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #2331
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    648 Posts
    How couldn't it? When you go to a website do you hover over every link? I take it that the pages that it fetches are pretty small so it's not as if the server is going to be under heavy load.
    It'll make a lot of unneeded requests if somebody just sits there, twiddling their thumbs, hovering over every page link a million times.

It would also mean requesting and downloading pages that the end user doesn't need to download.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

12. Post #2332
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    It'll make a lot of unneeded requests if somebody just sits there, twiddling their thumbs, hovering over every page link a million times.

It would also mean requesting and downloading pages that the end user doesn't need to download.
    oh no not an extra couple of kb

Edited:

also rating someone dumb just because you disagree is poor etiquette
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #2333
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts

Are you nuts? You would only load it once on hover not every single time. You're aware that this is a strategy used by companies like Google who have even more stringent bandwidth, right? It's not as if it's a new or revolutionary idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

14. Post #2334
    C:\
    March 2011
    1,749 Posts
    If you're going to argue, take it to PM's, otherwise, give CC / post content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #2335
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Wanted to create a simplistic web page that's different from the linear layouts of most websites.
    Uses Ajax to load each page during the fade, and if it can't load it in time it shows a loading screen, but you don't see that considering it's hosted locally.

-vid-

It also resizes depending on the screen resolution, so it'll always look the same regardless of the screen. The black bar at the bottom is as a result of recording Chrome, don't mind it.
    Reminds me of something made in the age of Windows XP, where the element of spacial dissonance combined with bright color ranges was something fashionable. Nowadays, this approach to layouts isn't seen as something frequently used or very trendy. Just a heads up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #2336
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #2337
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    648 Posts
    Are you nuts? You would only load it once on hover not every single time. You're aware that this is a strategy used by companies like Google who have even more stringent bandwidth, right? It's not as if it's a new or revolutionary idea.
    You made it out to sound like you meant on every single hover, regardless of if they've loaded it or not already, not just once per hover. Not a bad idea if you only load it once

-snipdatvid-

Really neat. Although this isn't really an issue, there's no quick way to tell that you aren't on the home page (besides the 'back' text), perhaps small text above the central message saying where you are in relating to the base page?

Can't think of a really good-looking way of doing that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

18. Post #2338
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    I wasn't expecting to like windows 8 in the slightest but even after just a few days trying it out I am turned. Metro isn't my thing, simply because the only metro app I can see myself using is the messages app but there are so many non-metro improvements to the OS that easily outweigh the learning curve of using the start screen (because that is all it is - a learning curve, there is no regression in features and once you get used to it it feels just as natural as the start menu):

http://snippi.com/s/kb93b01
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

19. Post #2339
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    thingshappen:

I hate that shit. From the copy to the layout...sorry.

"We make websites. Thats about it"

Well that makes me feel great as a customer. You guys don't go above and beyond to provide me with a great experience?

Showed this to my focus group. Here's what they said:

"It looks looks like a fucking flash website" - Ghandi
    "Shit's harder than string theory to understand " - Albert Einstein
    "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK" - King George VI
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

20. Post #2340
    September 2001
    12,322 Posts
    I used AngularJS to make this http://api.facepunch.com/ . I really love how AngularJS works. I get the feeling I haven't scratched the surface of understanding though, so am going to try to learn more this week.

Also waiting to see if google actually indexes the pages it creates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

21. Post #2341
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    I used AngularJS to make this http://api.facepunch.com/ . I really love how AngularJS works. I get the feeling I haven't scratched the surface of understanding though, so am going to try to learn more this week.

I like the idea of data binding in HTML. It's so useful in other application development. I don't think it's really suitable for what's you've used it for though. It'd be good for garrysmod ui etc, where the data changes client side and you don't want to reload. But not where a new page load is simpler and just as effective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #2342

If you're hoping google will index it you should add canonical link tags to the header for each page that link back to the original thread/post/whatever so you don't get dinged for duplicate content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #2343
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    So i'm working on a blog for quite a while maistek.com.
    What do you it can be better or it's not so good? Also, one of my mates said that the blog isn't slow from the server but from the coding, what do you think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #2344
    September 2011
    251 Posts
    So i'm working on a blog for quite a while maistek.com.
    What do you it can be better or it's not so good? Also, one of my mates said that the blog isn't slow from the server but from the coding, what do you think?
    I think that you might scare people with that picture of the pope.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #2345
    December 2007
    236 Posts
    That's a neat idea, I'll look into that if I decide to go anywhere with this actual layout.

Really neat. Although this isn't really an issue, there's no quick way to tell that you aren't on the home page (besides the 'back' text), perhaps small text above the central message saying where you are in relating to the base page?

Can't think of a really good-looking way of doing that.
    Thanks, I'll consider this too.

thingshappen:

I hate that shit. From the copy to the layout...sorry.

"We make websites. Thats about it"

Well that makes me feel great as a customer. You guys don't go above and beyond to provide me with a great experience?

Showed this to my focus group. Here's what they said:

"It looks looks like a fucking flash website" - Ghandi
    "Shit's harder than string theory to understand " - Albert Einstein
    "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK" - King George VI
    I only made it to show what the layout looks like, not the actual content. The content was something I threw together in a few seconds to experiment with this layout idea (best idea I could think up was a web design company), but I didn't actually explain that, so it's not your fault. Also, if Albert Einstein has trouble navigating around a page consisting of 4 links and a title then there's something seriously wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #2346
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,582 Posts
    Experimenting for the first time with media queries :D

http://andrescanelones.me/andres/ladyweb/ladyweb.html

anyone mind posting screenshots from smartphones/tablets?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Panama Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #2347
    December 2007
    236 Posts
    I'm sure you don't need the names of the devices, but if you do just say.

[table]
    [tr]
    [td]Phone:[/td]
    [td] [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Tablet:[/td]
    [td] [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #2348
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,582 Posts
    Thank you! no. I don't need the name of the devices. I'm having some issues centering the thumbnails appropriately. I think I should adjust the size of them so that two can always fit in the same row.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events

29. Post #2349
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,367 Posts
    You can just add text-align:center; to #thumbs if you want to center them.
    .. eventually display:inline-block; to .thumb

30. Post #2350
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    That's a neat idea, I'll look into that if I decide to go anywhere with this actual layout.

Thanks, I'll consider this too.

I only made it to show what the layout looks like, not the actual content. The content was something I threw together in a few seconds to experiment with this layout idea (best idea I could think up was a web design company), but I didn't actually explain that, so it's not your fault. Also, if Albert Einstein has trouble navigating around a page consisting of 4 links and a title then there's something seriously wrong.
    Yeah, I didn't mean to come off as harsh. Was just saying that it wasn't a great layout for modern sites.

:P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

31. Post #2351
    http://www.novaember.com/

Working on a new design to actually support browsers other than Chrome this time!

-still works best in Chrome, tho.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

32. Post #2352

July 2007
    864 Posts

Working on a new design to actually support browsers other than Chrome this time!

I feel stupid for clicking you link, and going "Oh.. A friend request" and then clicking it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #2353
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts

Why don't you just... do things like everyone else does them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

34. Post #2354
    January 2009
    350 Posts
    Why don't you just... do things like everyone else does them?
    What do you mean?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #2355
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,582 Posts
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. This JS/CSS rape you always put on webpages is not good at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #2356
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. This JS/CSS rape you always put on webpages is not good at all.
    That's exactly what I meant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events

37. Post #2357
    What are you talking about?

38. Post #2358

September 2011
    142 Posts
    What are you talking about?
    They mean instead of having all of your CSS in a script tag, use a separate CSS file for it, and then link it to your HTML document.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

39. Post #2359
    They mean instead of having all of your CSS in a script tag, use a separate CSS file for it, and then link it to your HTML document.
    I only did that for the design to keep it all in one page. When I'm starting with the actual site I'm keeping everything in it's own file.

40. Post #2360

September 2011
    142 Posts
    I only did that for the design to keep it all in one page. When I'm starting with the actual site I'm keeping everything in it's own file.
    I'm not picking on you for it. I was just trying to help you understand what they meant. Although I rather have even my design nice and clean as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)