1. Post #2761
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    So I'm trying to figure out CSS and HTML...

How did I do for a first try?
    text on the right side is confusing because there's no divider between it and the post content, i would take it off the lined paper and put it to the side of it. the date text on the left side of the page should be smaller and a bit further from the red line (more padding), the top navigation bar text is a bit too big and the bottom bar needs more padding. the design itself though looks really cool. you should mess with line-height or w/e and try to get the text to line up with the lined paper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2762
    HTF
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    525 Posts
    I was feeling bored so I spent the evening making random logos

Those are really nice bro, I wish I could do shit like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #2763
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    need a bit of freelancing advice

long story short, i wrote an ecommerce system for a local business 2 years ago and said "i'm not going anywhere, i'll be able to help whenever you need it". 2 years later they're still hiring me and giving me more and more work that i just don't have any interest in doing (i don't need the money that much and honestly i could probably be making more if i had time for other jobs), but i've felt obliged to work for them because of how long we've been working together and because i claimed i would be there for support. now they're asking me to rip out a huge part of the backend and replace it with services from fedex and their bank's merchant services, and i simply don't have the time (or desire) to do it. i called them today and tried telling them i simply can't get all this done in the timeframe they need it done in, and they guilt tripped me saying that i claimed i would "always be there", and saying they wouldn't have hired me in the first place if they had known they would have to deal with this headache of finding someone else to pick up where i left off. i told them i would help their new developer and give him all the info he needs to log in and edit the site, as well as explain how the system itself works, but they've managed to twist it into "ill have my fedex guy call you tomorrow so you can get some help" and hang up. they're absolutely convinced integrating it is a 1-2-3 setup, and i'm assuming it's because fedex thinks we're using an existing ecommerce framework which they already have a plugin ready for (we aren't). now i feel like i'm stuck with a todo list i never agreed to, but i'm afraid to be too blunt about saying "i'm done" because the client has given me so much work in the past (and theyre very wealthy and i'm afraid they'll muck up my reputation).

any advice?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #2764
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    932 Posts
    I was feeling bored so I spent the evening making random logos

Everything that you do is so clean, refined and a pleasure to look at but I really think you should try using colour more... and not blue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2765
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    Everything that you do is so clean, refined and a pleasure to look at
    Logos should be able to carry a feeling even in black and white so I think it's a better idea to design them like that.

I really think you should try using colour more... and not blue.
    What are you referring to?

Edited:

long story short, i wrote an ecommerce system for a local business 2 years ago and said "i'm not going anywhere, i'll be able to help whenever you need it". 2 years later they're still hiring me and giving me more and more work that i just don't have any interest in doing (i don't need the money that much and honestly i could probably be making more if i had time for other jobs), but i've felt obliged to work for them because of how long we've been working together and because i claimed i would be there for support. now they're asking me to rip out a huge part of the backend and replace it with services from fedex and their bank's merchant services, and i simply don't have the time (or desire) to do it. i called them today and tried telling them i simply can't get all this done in the timeframe they need it done in, and they guilt tripped me saying that i claimed i would "always be there", and saying they wouldn't have hired me in the first place if they had known they would have to deal with this headache of finding someone else to pick up where i left off. i told them i would help their new developer and give him all the info he needs to log in and edit the site, as well as explain how the system itself works, but they've managed to twist it into "ill have my fedex guy call you tomorrow so you can get some help" and hang up. they're absolutely convinced integrating it is a 1-2-3 setup, and i'm assuming it's because fedex thinks we're using an existing ecommerce framework which they already have a plugin ready for (we aren't). now i feel like i'm stuck with a todo list i never agreed to, but i'm afraid to be too blunt about saying "i'm done" because the client has given me so much work in the past (and theyre very wealthy and i'm afraid they'll muck up my reputation).

any advice?
    Just start squeezing money out of them until they cannot bear you anymore and they'll let you go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

6. Post #2766
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts

any advice?
    Why did you write a custom ecommerce solution for in the first place?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #2767
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    low budget and lack of experience, definitely learned my lesson and will never do it again

8. Post #2768
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,260 Posts

any advice?
    You could always outsource it.

9. Post #2769
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    NIH syndrome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2770
    July 2012
    1 Posts
    www.twipsum.org

It's pretty much finished, I'll just be making improvements and changes as I see fit - any ideas?
    it worked perfect for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #2771
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    476 Posts
    The red titles are a personal strain to my eyes; "Latest Threads" specifically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #2772
    DPRKFC
    March 2012
    796 Posts
    The red titles are a personal strain to my eyes; "Latest Threads" specifically.
    thought you meant facepunch titles.

13. Post #2773
    August 2009
    987 Posts
    I've been playing around in a virtual machine for a little bit, because I plan to move to a vps, and I have been trying to setup Nginx as it's much faster than Apache. I've followed this HowToForge tutorial as well as a few other miscellaneous articles, and everything has gone okay so far. Except,
    I can't figure out Nginx's equivalent of Apache's VirtualHosts, and I'd like to host multiple domains on a single vps. Right now I still have the "default" and a "costeira.local" sym-linked in sites-available and sites-enabled like they should be, and I've edited default to point to a different location, and it does work, but costeira.local isn't going to where I've set the root.
    Code:
    server {
    	listen 80;
    	server_name costeira.local;

access_log /var/log/nginx/costeira_local.access.log;
    	root /var/www/costeira.local/htdocs;
    		index index.php index.html;
    	location / {
    		try_files $uri $uri/ /index.html;
    	}
    }
    I do have it setup in my computer's hosts file.

Hur, Chrome apparently didn't pick up on that whole hosts file part, even after restarting the entire computer, apparently. Works now.√
    Wordpress cannot connect to MySQL. I've connected to it within the vm, but for some reason WP can't login or connect. Maybe I'm missing something?
    Any other tips I should know are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

14. Post #2774
    May 2010
    5,382 Posts
    Asked in the questions thread but no one seemed to answer, whats a good domain registrar(with cheap .co.uk) to go with?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #2775
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Asked in the questions thread but no one seemed to answer, whats a good domain registrar(with cheap .co.uk) to go with?
    gandi are good, but not cheap
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

16. Post #2776
    Give me cute names for a todo list app.

Edited:

I think domain names are pretty cheap no matter where you get them and I think it's definitely worth it to spring for someone with superior service/product like gandi.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #2777
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Give me cute names for a todo list app.
    todo.lyifr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

18. Post #2778
    DPRKFC
    March 2012
    796 Posts

Server addon/gamemode installer.
    Surprisingly simple.

EDIT:
    Here, enjoy a public demo:

http://coronia.info:5555
    Username is Creo
    Password is YepYepYep

Enjoy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #2779
    May 2010
    5,382 Posts
    I think domain names are pretty cheap no matter where you get them and I think it's definitely worth it to spring for someone with superior service/product like gandi.
    Ahh thanks, what about hosting? Is it stil lithiumhosting that you reccoment?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #2780
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    i never recommended lithium hosting.

shared hosting is for schmucks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #2781
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    i never recommended lithium hosting.

shared hosting is for schmucks
    who's a good practical host

22. Post #2782
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,228 Posts
    who's a good practical host
    Depends if you want shared hosting or not. Some people here buy VPSs since they want the full core and stuff. But it just depends on the site, somethings you shouldn't put on shared hosting in order to be a good neighbor.

23. Post #2783
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    [4:12:37 AM] stykky: race = (winner, runners...) ->
    print winner, runners

how can it do this?

race = function() {
    var runners, winner;
    winner = arguments[0], runners = 2 <= arguments.length ? __slice.call(arguments, 1) : [];
    return print(winner, runners);
    };
    [4:12:55 AM] stykky: it is impossible logically
    [4:14:38 AM] stykky: but logically it is impossible that the different istructions can do it the same, a part of istruction aren't written
    [4:16:48 AM] stykky: this has a logical for me
    number = -42 if opposite
    means
    if (opposite) {
    number = -42;
    }
    [4:17:01 AM] stykky: but the previous example doesn t
    [4:19:12 AM] stykky: but without logical, i think that...also to fix it, i think there is a logical in what you write...my mum makes me so lol
    [4:22:39 AM] stykky: coffeescript is easier than javascript but, i think, must have more logical...infact to fix a program written in cs, i think you must have it in what you write
    [4:26:12 AM] stykky: i have dinner...i leave the pc switchs on (spero si scriva cosi pd)
    Trying to explain CoffeeScript to one of TerabyteS_ Italian friends. It's... a challenge.

Edited:

To keep this post relevant, I'm working on a nodejs connect asset compiler since as of the most recent connect and future releases of express the asset compiler it's been removed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

24. Post #2784
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts

even the figments of my imagination hate me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #2785
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    the only solution is to get them where they live, gab destroy your brain
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #2786
    My Blog
    July 2009
    1,949 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #2787
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    Did I just see a website intro on a website in 2012.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

28. Post #2788
    My Blog
    July 2009
    1,949 Posts
    it's meant to be promotional/graphical :)
    no real use for it besides looks.

29. Post #2789
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    Except there's no context so it's the most pointless thing ever. I only managed to tell what the first logo was anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #2790
    I think it's nice. There's also a very clear skip button.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #2791
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts
    For smaller monitors the comment box cannot be correctly viewed because of how you've set the overflow.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #2792
    ASCII Art can be useful!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #2793
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    The PayPal redesign actually looks half decent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

34. Post #2794
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    ASCII Art can be useful!

what is it with php coders and giant banner comments
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

35. Post #2795
    ezio audtioriet
    May 2007
    1,343 Posts
    it looks cool!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #2796
    Pass along
    May 2008
    4,065 Posts
    -snip- wrong waywo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

37. Post #2797
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    That's pretty cool but I think you got the wrong WAYWO.

It's easy done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #2798
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    Thank you commander204! But Our Princess Is In Another Castle!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #2799
    Pass along
    May 2008
    4,065 Posts
    ... it had to happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

40. Post #2800
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,196 Posts
    what is it with php coders and giant banner comments
    You are a little bit jealous, swift, I know you are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)