1. Post #2801
    My Blog
    July 2009
    1,944 Posts
    I am still working out the actual page ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2802
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,128 Posts
    "webGWEN"
    http://apush.comoj.com/webGWEN/

I was hoping for the final outcome to be something like an online GWEN designer.
    Probably never going to get there, since all my fun was had working on this frame.

It uses the GWEN skin template: http://apush.comoj.com/img/DefaultSkin.png

Edited:
    You can move window around by dragging the titlebar.
    Dragging the borrom right corner lets you change the window size.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Useful Useful x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #2803
    My Blog
    July 2009
    1,944 Posts
    Finish that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #2804
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    207 Posts
    I was feeling bored so I spent the evening making random logos

Hey, can I be so cheeky to ask what fonts you are using, for Brttle, and Elipsior?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

5. Post #2805
    July 2012
    28 Posts
    I posted it to Programming, but here's another link.

www.tldrlegal.com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Useful Useful x 13Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

6. Post #2806
    DPRKFC
    March 2012
    793 Posts
    beautiful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

7. Post #2807

www.tldrlegal.com
    Looks good, and that is a brilliant idea. I will definitely be using that as a resource.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #2808
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,128 Posts
    Hey, can I be so cheeky to ask what fonts you are using, for Brttle, and Elipsior?
    Experience the futuristic technology that is FONT IDENTIFICATION!
    http://www.whatfontis.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

9. Post #2809
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,256 Posts

www.tldrlegal.com
    Fucking yes, thank you so much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #2810
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,317 Posts

www.tldrlegal.com
    This would've been so useful 6 months ago when I had to research licenses for work, good idea.

Mind if I offer a bit of feedback though?
    - The title on hover gets in the way of the actual text when I go to expand and read it. I think the main problem is the title is on the li element instead of just for the span.
    - The way the text judders when it toggles is not very pleasing to the eye. I'd suggest using a different animation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #2811
    Pass along
    May 2008
    4,065 Posts
    For those familiar with ruby/rails do you think that splitting up a controller into modules is a good idea even if it is not meant to be re-used in other controllers?

Let's say we have an action that maps to X trough GET, and on there is a form that does a POST action to XY.

Only I have a few actions that work in a similar way and the controller file is getting quite big, and I want to clean it up. So I ask before doing something that might be a bad habit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

12. Post #2812
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    90% of your controllers should only have 'new', 'create', 'show', 'edit', 'update', 'delete' and/or 'index'

Edited:

post some code and i will critique it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #2813
    a2h
    Gold Member

September 2008
    2,460 Posts
    90% of your controllers should only have 'new', 'create', 'show', 'edit', 'update', 'delete' and/or 'index'
    You'll love what I'm working on in FuelPHP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

14. Post #2814
    Pass along
    May 2008
    4,065 Posts

Edited:

post some code and i will critique it
    Hm.. I just realized why it was getting so long. I have been using the parent as an alias for creating other resources. Like an application for a position.

I guess the correct way is to have the resource's own controller and use the parent's id to identify it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

15. Post #2815
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    every resource should have its own controller
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #2816
    I guess the correct way is to have the resource's own controller and use the parent's id to identify it?
    Check out nested resources

17. Post #2817
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,128 Posts
    For anyone interested in webGWEN, I made a github a while back.
    https://github.com/qwook/webGWEN

I'm not going to have time to work on it a lot between work, but if anyone wants to expand on the project, you can just git clone it and make a branch.

I honestly don't know where to continue off with webGWEN. I tried making buttons but I don't know if I want it to have a defined X and Y or to have it positioned by HTML.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #2818
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    The PayPal redesign actually looks half decent.
    It looks nice but it seems a bit too similar to Square's design (https://squareup.com)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #2819
    October 2009
    242 Posts

Learning jquery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #2820
    January 2011
    285 Posts
    Got a wiki site that's still in the early days that's hitting 300 uniques and 3.7k pageviews p/d. Looking to migrate from shared host to a VPS, anyone have recommendations?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Bulgaria Show Events

21. Post #2821
    November 2009
    1,585 Posts
    Got a wiki site that's still in the early days that's hitting 300 uniques and 3.7k pageviews p/d. Looking to migrate from shared host to a VPS, anyone have recommendations?
    http://vps.hexxeh.net/ or http://fanaticalvps.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #2822
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,426 Posts
    Got this done today.

little bit of CSS:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #2823
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    Fredoka One for Elipsior, Doppio One for Brottle. They're all taken from Google Web Fonts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #2824
    Got this done today.

little bit of CSS:
    horizontal padding is your friend. I'd also lighten the alternating rows and get rid of the vertical lines through the darkened rows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #2825
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,091 Posts
    I'm trying to make forum avatars that update but I'm stuck. You guys know how a character's page on the wow armory has a picture generated from a 3d model? I've been trying to figure out if I can query blizard's server to give me back one of those pictures with a set of item id's I give it. I tried dissecting the source of the page but couldn't find anything useful. Anyone perhaps have any insight?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

26. Post #2826
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,426 Posts
    horizontal padding is your friend. I'd also lighten the alternating rows and get rid of the vertical lines through the darkened rows.
    Yes, haven't applied padding to elements yet. As of now concentrating on the code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

27. Post #2827
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    I think it is about time we did a equipment and software audit.

My setup is as follows:

A PC:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/KRKV5K8KJ8E
    A Mac mini
    An Acer aspire ethos
    An iPad (yep I do work on an iPad)

Software:
    Windows 8 (which is surprisingly stable)
    Sublime text
    Github for windows
    Zune
    WebMatrix (only used for running local WordPress installations, not development) - I can setup a new WordPress install in seconds using WebMatrix which is great for development.
    Simpless
    Coffee Script compiler (Command line version - someone really ought to make an automated GUI similiar to Simpless)
    Chrome (obviously I have every browser but chrome is browser of choice)
    Google drive (used for pictures, and documents but not code - that is all on github)
    Google App Engine Launcher
    Photoshop CS5

I only really use OSX for app development using xcode (which i don't really do very often), however I have a pretty reasonable collection of osx apps like coda etc.

My PC is a little overkill and you could get a much better value machine easily but one thing which I do think is really useful is 3 monitors - it is one of those things that once you have got used to it you hate using any less. Also my keyboard is lovely (mechanical). I'm not a really big fan of the Logitech G9Xs but until I find something much better (especially software wise) I will stick with it. I hate the scroll wheel clicking on the g9x but love the free scroll wheel. I also love the ability to be able to independently set the x and y sensitivity (useful in jets in BF3).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11 (list)

28. Post #2828
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    My setup is as follows:

Software:
    Github for windows
    Zune
    Simpless
    Coffee Script compiler (Command line version - someone really ought to make an automated GUI similiar to Simpless)
    Google drive (used for pictures, and documents but not code - that is all on github)
    ~i do my webdev on win8 becasue im edgy~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #2829
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts

My setup is as follows:

A PC:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/KRKV5K8KJ8E
    A Mac mini
    An Acer aspire ethos

Software:
    Sublime text
    Github for windows
    Zune
    WebMatrix (only used for running local WordPress installations, not development) - I can setup a new WordPress install in seconds using WebMatrix which is great for development.
    Simpless
    Chrome (obviously I have every browser but chrome is browser of choice)
    Photoshop CS5

I only really use OSX for app development using xcode (which i don't really do very often), however I have a pretty reasonable collection of osx apps like coda etc.

My PC is a little overkill and you could get a much better value machine easily but one thing which I do think is really useful is 3 monitors - it is one of those things that once you have got used to it you hate using any less. Also my keyboard is lovely (mechanical). I'm not a really big fan of the Logitech G9Xs but until I find something much better (especially software wise) I will stick with it. I hate the scroll wheel clicking on the g9x but love the free scroll wheel. I also love the ability to be able to independently set the x and y sensitivity (useful in jets in BF3).
    ok
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 12Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #2830
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,581 Posts
    I think I'm finally able to put out my super secret secret out there on the web, seeing as my website will go online soon for a testing phase.

Based on Magento Layover

Please feel free to critique anything.

Left click on the picture if they are blurry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

31. Post #2831
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,137 Posts
    do you feel super leet when you steal other people's wordpress themes while using that COD mouse?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #2832
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    I think I'm finally able to put out my super secret secret out there on the web, seeing as my website will go online soon for a testing phase.

Based on Magento Layover

Please feel free to critique anything.
    was about to say how beautiful it was until i realized all you did was change the colors and add a logo

no offense but it's not much "your work" at this point?

Edited:

do you feel super leet when you steal other people's wordpress themes while using that COD mouse?
    360 noscope copyright violation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #2833
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,581 Posts
    was about to say how beautiful it was until i realized all you did was change the colors and add a logo

no offense but it's not much "your work" at this point?
    You're right it isn't, but I was hoping there some people might be able to tell me if they see some major design flaws.

The reason I linked the original template was to make clear that it was never completely made by me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

34. Post #2834
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    816 Posts

even the figments of my imagination hate me
    I need that chrome skin :O
    Is there a similiar one for windows?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

35. Post #2835
    Magento makes me value convention over configuration more and more every day I work with it. I shouldn't need to make a fucking xml file for the express purpose of telling an application that another file exists.

36. Post #2836
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    I need that chrome skin :O
    Is there a similiar one for windows?!
    I set chrome to take its colors from the GTK+ theme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #2837
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts

Thank you google!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

38. Post #2838
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts

Thank you google!
    If only Google ranked the MDN and W3C higher...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #2839
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,581 Posts
    Magento makes me value convention over configuration more and more every day I work with it. I shouldn't need to make a fucking xml file for the express purpose of telling an application that another file exists.
    So Magento does that incorrectly?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

40. Post #2840
    Magento is configuration over convention and it's pretty annoying.

Edited:

If I want to make a new module with one helper that I use to, for exmaple, generate image urls in a view. I need to make at the very least, three folders, two xml files (which do nothing but tell magento that the helper exists), and a php file.