1. Post #3361
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    640 Posts
    I'm sure i'm like...overly proud of this but i started learning rails, following along the tutorial, quite honestly i'm just in shock that i had no problems at all, and it's all working correctly!

hoping to find some rock solid tutorials/books/videos to help me learn every single thing i can about rails

granted, i know this is very basic but..i'm starting to fall in love ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Zing Zing x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #3362
    Pass along
    May 2008
    4,065 Posts
    If you are looking for a good tutorial: http://ruby.railstutorial.org/chapters/beginning#top

I got linked to it by a User here, ( I suck at remembering names ) and it was all I needed to get started with Rails.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

3. Post #3363
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    640 Posts
    If you are looking for a good tutorial: http://ruby.railstutorial.org/chapters/beginning#top

I got linked to it by a User here, ( I suck at remembering names ) and it was all I needed to get started with Rails.
    i actually have all the videos :P i started it, but didn't get far yet, going to tomorrow! thanks for the link though i didn't know they had a online readable version
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

4. Post #3364
    February 2011
    920 Posts
    Start of a WordPress theme that will hopefully end up on Themeforest if I ever finish it.
    Please excuse the aliasing on some of the text.

[SUP]1260x1700[/SUP]

And here's a pretty little colour chart, showing potential colour schemes:

[SUP]Currently using the one on the far right[/SUP]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #3365
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic x 6Informative x 1Winner x 1Disagree x 1Programming King x 1 (list)

6. Post #3366
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,609 Posts
    Started my new job at Florida State University, here's what I started building today!

http://andrescanelones.me/FSU/seminoles.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

7. Post #3367
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    949 Posts
    Started my new job at Florida State University, here's what I started building today!

That's looking real nice but you need to remove the lines under the inputs and instead have the border-bottom of the inputs to be your line, then you need to remove the on focus outline on the inputs and instead have it make the border-bottom a much darker colour and slightly change the inputs background. Then you are sorted.

but yeah, the page looks great and all that ^ is just me being picky :3

Edited:

I just realised the border-bottom is already sorted, which just leaves removing the outline effect and having the focus do something else prominant, my bad :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

8. Post #3368
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,201 Posts
    I like simplicity, I also like web-access portfolios... So I just did this. Wouldn't mind some help styling it though if you've any suggestions. I only know HTML4, so don't hurt me.

Also, only the home and profile pages have been 'contented'... And the homepage needs something extra for a bit of zest.

http://secure5.mylha.com/~tazyagfk/index.html

I'm by no means a HTML Master like 8BitCallum, but I try.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #3369
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts

I would add cursor:pointer and an active state to that button if I were you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #3370
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,609 Posts

I would add cursor:pointer and an active state to that button if I were you.
    oooh, so that's how you do it.. I was trying to figure out how to get the pointer cursor. I'm not so proficient in css
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Panama Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #3371
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,609 Posts
    Right, so I did some subtle changes to the webpage at my boss' request.

-Added a subtle background gradient (didn't know you could stack up background elements like images and gradients, sadly, ie9 doesn't support it. ie10 does!)
    -made the text in the fields bigger
    -Followed your suggestions! thaaaanks..

btw, here's a little neat app for taking screenshots and uploading them directly to your server: http://sharpmindprojects.com/project/upscreen/

made by a fellow facepuncher
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events

12. Post #3372
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    The design is cool but..

Don't use BR tags to generate space. That's what css margin is for.

Use LABEL tags instead of P tags for the input labels

Use normalize.css instead of a hard reset
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #3373
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,201 Posts
    I've never been good at styling or programming. Maybe I'm flogging a dead horse :)

14. Post #3374
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    7,085 Posts
    I've never been good at styling or programming. Maybe I'm flogging a dead horse :)
    Nah, you'll get the hang of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

15. Post #3375
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    Yeah anyone can get pro at flogging. What you'll need is a good nine tails and a freshly deceased horse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

16. Post #3376
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,201 Posts
    On a more serious note, any inspiration on how I can style it nicely? That subtle background is a little too subtle.

17. Post #3377
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    On a more serious note, any inspiration on how I can style it nicely? That subtle background is a little too subtle.
    imo it looks fine as is, and it'd look better with a solid white background rather than the subtle paper background.

i'd replace the "Follow me on twitter" text with just the twitter logo (made a bit smaller) but tbh thats about it, your site looks really nice!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #3378
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,201 Posts
    imo it looks fine as is, and it'd look better with a solid white background rather than the subtle paper background.

i'd replace the "Follow me on twitter" text with just the twitter logo (made a bit smaller) but tbh thats about it, your site looks really nice!
    Thanks for your really kind opinion :)

19. Post #3379
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,700 Posts
    Ok guys, I need your help to give me brief idea about this.

I have a page where I want more than 1 pic of the product to be uploaded and then a display page where those pics should be displayed for that product.

What is the best way to upload and keep record of those images in databases for each product ?

Shall I store the multiple image names in a single database cell for a record, separated by commas for multiple image names ? That can be done.

But how do I upload any number of images for that product. Will I have to declare the upload input as an array (using javascript to add any number of input upload elements at runtime) and then send it through POST ? or any other efficient way ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

20. Post #3380
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts
    imo it looks fine as is, and it'd look better with a solid white background rather than the subtle paper background.i'd replace the "Follow me on twitter" text with just the twitter logo (made a bit smaller) but tbh thats about it, your site looks really nice!
    I agree with Kop, the design is nice and simple. The minimalistic look is a nice one.The paper background definitely needs to be just white if you change anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #3381
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,060 Posts
    I respectfully disagree. It adds a nice touch to it without being distracting.
    Might be me though but is your Twitter logo not transparent? If so, there's a suggestion.

Not style related but figured I might as well toss it in but instead of putting contact info on your page, perhaps a form? Of course, you'll need to learn some PHP for that but an email form is fairly easy to make.

Oh, and the nitpick in me noticed a spelling mistake in 'Curriciulum Vitae', should be 'Curriculum'.

Other than that, not much to say that hasn't been said already. It's simple, it works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

22. Post #3382
    December 2009
    1,122 Posts
    Currently working on a web-based GUI for a finite element solver developed by CSMLab @ Cambridge. Using ExtJS and WebGL:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King x 8Funny x 1Useful x 1Winner x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #3383
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,201 Posts
    I respectfully disagree. It adds a nice touch to it without being distracting.
    Might be me though but is your Twitter logo not transparent? If so, there's a suggestion.

Not style related but figured I might as well toss it in but instead of putting contact info on your page, perhaps a form? Of course, you'll need to learn some PHP for that but an email form is fairly easy to make.

Oh, and the nitpick in me noticed a spelling mistake in 'Curriciulum Vitae', should be 'Curriculum'.

Other than that, not much to say that hasn't been said already. It's simple, it works.
    Woopsie! I'll correct that typo. Thanks for the proof read. The Twitter logo isn't transparent no, I got lazy when I saved the image.

I've done a PHP email form before, and I was thinking about doing it again here, thanks for reminding me!

24. Post #3384
    August 2012
    185 Posts
    I don't consider myself an expert in fluent HTML/PHP, but my brother enlisted me to help create a website for his little business he's got going. Obviously to someone who has no experience making websites it looks absolutely amazing, but to me, I feel like I could improve some more.

http://iphone-factory-unlocking.com

I would love feedback on my design and how I could improve upon it. I haven't really designed a full-fledged website since I got out of my highschool webdesign class, but other than that, this is really just a collaboration of everything I know thus far. I had to look up on how to do certain things but meh.

BTW, is there an alternative to me having to make a "wrap" for everything? I have a wrap for the entire website, a wrap for the header/links/content/footer...I think I'm doing it wrong, lol. Can't even properly add a "box-shadow" CSS property because of the way I'm using "float:left".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #3385
    September 2011
    117 Posts
    I don't consider myself an expert in fluent HTML/PHP, but my brother enlisted me to help create a website for his little business he's got going. Obviously to someone who has no experience making websites it looks absolutely amazing, but to me, I feel like I could improve some more.

I would love feedback on my design and how I could improve upon it. I haven't really designed a full-fledged website since I got out of my highschool webdesign class, but other than that, this is really just a collaboration of everything I know thus far. I had to look up on how to do certain things but meh.

BTW, is there an alternative to me having to make a "wrap" for everything? I have a wrap for the entire website, a wrap for the header/links/content/footer...I think I'm doing it wrong, lol. Can't even properly add a "box-shadow" CSS property because of the way I'm using "float:left".
    In my opinion it looks abit to dark , and the text isent really the best.
    For the rest kudos+!

If you dont mind in my opinion you should use cleaner text like this what i made :
    (hope you dont mind i used your text)

Its more "clean" to give you an idea , without bevel and emboss!
    hope it helped goodluck!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #3386
    August 2012
    185 Posts
    I appreciate your feedback! However I don't like the look of that text. I do like the shiny effect though. Personally I tried to go for a color scheme that resembled an iPhone, but I didn't really spend much time working on it. The logo you see now was made previously as a concept to get an idea of how the website would look. I probably should've spent more time working on it than I did, but the website needed to go up as soon as possible. Maybe in the future I'll revamp the design, but for now, it's simple and effective, which is all that was required.

Even now I'm running into problems with this design. It's so hacked together it's not even funny...I can't figure out where to put Facebook/Twitter/Google+ buttons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

27. Post #3387
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 9Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

28. Post #3388
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,446 Posts

To be honest, I would recommend you get rid of that shit. You should start from scratch.
    You can make part of the sites and post small "teasers", and get suggestions on them. That way you get more detailed feedback than posting the complete site at once.

Something to remember:
    - You should not make text into images.
    - I see no reason to have a "webcounter" on your site, it looks unprofessional.
    - Make high quality pictures, while still making the files as small as possible.
    - The w3 validations "ribbons", doesn't fit in at all (And it never does ...).
    - HTML 5
    - Make the site easy for the eye, and easy to navigate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

29. Post #3389
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts

I don't know why I do these things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

30. Post #3390
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,749 Posts

That looks way more trustworthy, and while I don't use any Apple devices, it kind of fits the style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #3391
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    I actually wanted to share the PSD with the guy who's working on his site but I accidentally closed it without saving so yeah, sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 8Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

32. Post #3392
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts
    Never use the w3c ribbons they just look cheap.

In fact it all looks quite cheap I'm sorry but it looks like a store page on Ebay from 5 years ago. Look at the points made by marius.

Also the gradients really make it look dated. If you're going to use gradients make them quite subtle. The colour scheme also needs work it feels really washed out and bland.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #3393
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    7,085 Posts

People always overlook the obvious, minimalism.
    Lets chuck revolting colours and gradients everywhere!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #3394
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts

Edited:

Thread names shamelessly taken from facepunch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Programming King Programming King x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #3395
    August 2012
    185 Posts
    All of the cheesy ideas such as the web counter and other stuff like that is my brothers idea. I think web counters are stupid but he wanted one so I put one in. The ribbons? I agree they don't fit in, I will probably remove them. To that one example above me, that looks very clean and seems to be popular amongst the unlocker sites. I will definitely be taking everyones advice here and hopefully make a less cheesy website. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

36. Post #3396
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    All of the cheesy ideas such as the web counter and other stuff like that is my brothers idea. I think web counters are stupid but he wanted one so I put one in. The ribbons? I agree they don't fit in, I will probably remove them. To that one example above me, that looks very clean and seems to be popular amongst the unlocker sites. I will definitely be taking everyones advice here and hopefully make a less cheesy website. Thanks!
    If you want you can use/copy that thing I made earlier. And tell your brother to use Google Analytics if he really wants to masturbate over the visit count. Nobody outside of him really cares.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

37. Post #3397
    August 2012
    185 Posts
    If you want you can use/copy that thing I made earlier. And tell your brother to use Google Analytics if he really wants to masturbate over the visit count. Nobody outside of him really cares.
    Cool, thanks. I suggested analytics to him before but what do I know?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #3398
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts
    Cool, thanks. I suggested analytics to him before but what do I know?
    Clearly more than your brother anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #3399
    April 2012
    644 Posts
    Doing a group assignment for school, I have to make a login page for a market day bank system with a teacher part and a student part.

How it works is that I have a username and password text box, a radio option thing to go to the teacher section or the student section, I don't have any php yet but I'm working on the html. What I want to know is if I can have 2 buttons, 1 labelled teacher and the other student, and it takes them to that respective page if the username and password they typed in has the right privileges. I'd also like to encrypt the passwords so I googled it and everyone says "use bcrypt", when I google how i get nothing remotely helpful. Does anyone have a link/willing to type up how i implement it?
    Thought I would repost here because this thread seems more active and it fits. I realise it's "Hurr ask internet to do homework" but the button thing is just wanting to know if it's possible, and the bcrypt thing is just wanting to know if anyone knows where I could learn to do it myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

40. Post #3400
    August 2012
    185 Posts
    I've taken everybody's advice thus far and have decided to make a mockup in Photoshop before I start doing any HTML. Feedback on how I can improve it is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 28 (list)