1. Post #3481
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,567 Posts
    @smlance
    date format too machine friendly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #3482

February 2012
    133 Posts
    Had "advanced Web-apps" today in class, and my classmates did a quick repeat on the basics of html, headings and paragraphs for like 10-15min, so i decided to quickly code a inspirational blog/portfolio layout
    Here is the link to the page:http://users.turkuai.fi/users/jlehti...applikationer/

Any suggestions I should fix next time I'm waiting for them to learn the basics :D?

oh forgot to add, just leave the form it's for testing purpose only
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

3. Post #3483
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,725 Posts
    Had "advanced Web-apps" today in class, and my classmates did a quick repeat on the basics of html, headings and paragraphs for like 10-15min, so i decided to quickly code a inspirational blog/portfolio layout
    Here is the link to the page:http://users.turkuai.fi/users/jlehti...applikationer/

Any suggestions I should fix next time I'm waiting for them to learn the basics :D?

Why does the header take up half the page?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

4. Post #3484

February 2012
    133 Posts
    Why does the header take up half the page?
    Large headings :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

5. Post #3485
    October 2011
    2,096 Posts

the top corners of the buttons are round. you can see it when you hover.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #3486
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    SVG: CONS
    - No pixel precision due to anti-aliasing
    - Unsuitable for complex graphics due to large file sizes
    Id rather not have down-scaled images on regular displays, (most displays), and WHY would I want 4x the pixel density on a SVG vector based image? Vector images by their very nature have less detail than a quality raster image. Getting 4x the res is pointless.
    Somebody please bring me a knife.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 2Programming King Programming King x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #3487

February 2012
    133 Posts
    the top corners of the buttons are round. you can see it when you hover.
    Oh right, forgot to add top to straight one's, thanks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

8. Post #3488
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,567 Posts

Add a footer please. For a moment I thought the page stopped loading midway.

Email validation is not implemented well.

Doesn't look professional because of those wiggly fonts.

Form is not aligned to center.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

9. Post #3489
    October 2008
    447 Posts

Why is everything so large? I think it would look better if everything wasn't so large.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #3490
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

11. Post #3491
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts
    Did you design that zoomed out? Like someone else has already said it feels way too big, you need to consider smaller resolutions when designing a site.

You use too many patterns and it makes it just look like a mess rather than a design. Remove the diamond pattern from the main containers and that should improve it a bit. Also I'd suggest that you soften your box shadow and make it lighter too.

Finally, consider a re-think on your menu. Make it smaller, don't use a font that is just the outline and remove the text shadow from your h2. For your navigation if you like having colour (looking at your on hover colours) then why not make them little post it notes instead? You have the "desk" with the wooden background after all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #3492
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    Here we go:
    have a look at these buttons and please tell me what you think about these buttons and their behavior.

http://www.gabrielecirulli.com/stuff/buttontest/

Do they feel right? Do they do what you expect them to do? Is it easy to tell which one is pressed and in which state it is currently?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

13. Post #3493
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    Not much of a voice around here but I think they're perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #3494

June 2012
    137 Posts
    font is ugly and far too big, colours aren't very appealing, navigation is too big and the font spoils that too, and finally your search bar isn't vertically aligned properly
    my protege

Edited:

Here we go:
    have a look at these buttons and please tell me what you think about these buttons and their behavior.

Do they feel right? Do they do what you expect them to do? Is it easy to tell which one is pressed and in which state it is currently?
    they are black
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #3495
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    780 Posts
    Here we go:

I would remove the hover. You can't see what state the buttons are when you hover over them, and its annoying to move your mouse every time to check if you pressed it.
    And at the if you plan on using prechecked buttons at the multi-selection swichbuttons it won't be obvious if it is on or off unless you have multiple other buttons to use as reference.

16. Post #3496
    October 2011
    2,096 Posts
    Here we go:

they look better than ur screen shot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #3497
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    they look better than ur screen shot
    Honestly I'm not sure what to do about how firefox deals with them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

18. Post #3498
    Use JS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #3499
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    I would remove the hover. You can't see what state the buttons are when you hover over them, and its annoying to move your mouse every time to check if you pressed it.
    And at the if you plan on using prechecked buttons at the multi-selection swichbuttons it won't be obvious if it is on or off unless you have multiple other buttons to use as reference.
    I had that problem you're talking about yesterday, but I thought I'd managed to fix it today by setting a different brightness on the hover state when the button is in active state. Does it still look misleading? I thought it would be fine that way, it would just take a bit of getting used to. Also these buttons are going to be present in abundance throughout the site and they'll all have the same behavior (either mutually exclusive or multi selection), so hopefully users should learn fast.

Edited:

my protege

Edited:

they are black
    What?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #3500
    I had that problem you're talking about yesterday, but I thought I'd managed to fix it today by setting a different brightness on the hover state when the button is in active state. Does it still look misleading? I thought it would be fine that way, it would just take a bit of getting used to. Also these buttons are going to be present in abundance throughout the site and they'll all have the same behavior (either mutually exclusive or multi selection), so hopefully users should learn fast.
    The little fade out and back in that they do on click makes the fact that they are a little bit lighter a lot harder to notice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

21. Post #3501
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    The little fade out and back in that they do on click makes the fact that they are a little bit lighter a lot harder to notice.
    I think that's a consequence of the active state, I'm not sure if anything can be done about that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

22. Post #3502
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    780 Posts
    I don't see a problem in completely removing the hover. Or perhaps an inner shadow so they actually look pressed?

23. Post #3503

June 2012
    137 Posts
    they are black
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #3504
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    780 Posts
    Oh and another thing, the radio buttons and checkboxes look the same. If someone is first presented with the radio buttons he might not know you can select multiple ones the next time. You will need to tell them every time that its possible. It might be better to make them look a bit different.

4 hours of sleep in 2 days isnt helping my spelling, sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #3505

November 2011
    45 Posts
    Here we go:

[IMG]

I think they should "pop" or in some way respond more when they are pressed. As they are, they don't feel responsive enough / as if I've clicked them. Partly, this is because there is a delay -- I need to hold the click for a second or two before it becomes apparent that I've pushed the button. Besides that, they're pretty sweet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

26. Post #3506
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,567 Posts
    I don't see the problem here

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

27. Post #3507

November 2011
    45 Posts

How can I spice it up (which I was trying to do before with the logo) a bit while keeping it simple, clean, and minimalist? And how can I prevent it from looking too old-fashioned/out-of-style/low-tech?

EDIT: Bye-bye, compressed jpg quality!

28. Post #3508
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    257 Posts

How can I spice it up (which I was trying to do before with the logo) a bit while keeping it simple, clean, and minimalist? And how can I prevent it from looking too old-fashioned/out-of-style/low-tech?
    Not sure if you have some seriously bad compression/i'm really tired or there is actually a texture on the whole page, if there is a texture I don't think it adds to the page very much, and the colours remind me of a dentists waiting room, that's just my opinion though. the layout is quite clean you could perhaps add some small social icons and a footer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #3509
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    640 Posts
    I'm not sure if this helps or not, but doesn't google chrome frame meta tag help with this sort of thing?
    Link

I could be completely off base here but figured i'd throw in a idea.

Side note:

Anyone looking to learn RoR, as i am; I found this book today Link and i just ordered it, shipping seems a bit slow 4-14 business days,and i don't know if the book is actually any good, but honestly you can't beat paying 1 cent for a full book..total cost was $4.30, 1 cent for book, 30 cents for tax, $3.99 shipping from NV to Ohio, and i found a old giftcard for B&N for $10 in my wallet so a free book :D

30. Post #3510

November 2011
    45 Posts
    Not sure if you have some seriously bad compression/i'm really tired or there is actually a texture on the whole page, if there is a texture I don't think it adds to the page very much, and the colours remind me of a dentists waiting room, that's just my opinion though. the layout is quite clean you could perhaps add some small social icons and a footer
    Sorry about the quality. I don't know what free, quick image sharing site allows larger pngs to be uploaded. The only "texture" is a 1.2% background noise. I will keep the comment about the colors in mind. Thanks!

EDIT: Just fixed the upload quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #3511
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,688 Posts
    Whoa webdev is fun; I'm taking some baby steps, but I'm surprised how quickly and easily you can make nice looking functional websites.

Made this with a bit of help from kopini and amcfaggot:

Any opinions or tips?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

32. Post #3512
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    640 Posts
    Look's good man!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #3513
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Here we go:

the animation is too slow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #3514
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    I don't see a problem in completely removing the hover. Or perhaps an inner shadow so they actually look pressed?
    I think removing the hover would make them far more unresponsive. It's a thing I generally dislike. I'd prefer to find an alternative that keeps them looking responsive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

35. Post #3515
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts

EDIT: Bye-bye, compressed jpg quality!
    You need more padding on the top and bottom of your content to me it looks really weird. I tend to make the padding top, left and right the same and sometimes make the bottom just slightly bigger. Or I just make the padding the same for each side depending on what I'm doing and how I want it to look.

Your colour palette needs changing, it looks really washed out and looks a bit like the colours I'd see on an old man's sweater. Take a look at http://www.colourlovers.com/ and see if you can spot a pre-created palette that appeals to you.

You're definitely improving compared to the earlier versions so nice work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #3516
    Upload Images
    April 2011
    731 Posts
    My sister asked me to make a quick website, an days notice. I had no clue where I was going with this:

Any suggestions?

- sorry for the poorly blurred areas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #3517
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    The blurring didn't do much since you can still make out the letters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10Zing Zing x 1 (list)

38. Post #3518
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    i'd bang her
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny x 13Useful x 2Disagree x 2Informative x 1Zing x 1 (list)

39. Post #3519
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    You'd bang a fox too though so your opinion is invalid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 15Winner Winner x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3520
    Upload Images
    April 2011
    731 Posts
    Not the kind of feedback I was expecting.. but okay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful x 2Disagree x 2Funny x 1Late x 1Friendly x 1 (list)