1. Post #3561
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,593 Posts

Threw this together last night, since I've not met my quota for redesigning my website this month.

I'm not too happy with the navigation and highlighting, any ideas for getting it to stand out without looking awful?
    Looks very...unformatted. To begin with, you should make the content box less wide, long lines of text are hard to read. text shouldn't have any shadow effects or the like, it just reduces legibility and it's annoying and the nav could use some polishing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #3562
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,488 Posts
    Alright, tried to format the text a little more, made it narrower.

Still not too fond of the navigation but I can't think of anything that would look any better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3563
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    640 Posts
    i would take that small drop shadow off all the text, make the logo text align with your content box, and as a background color try going with a much much lighter grey, almost white but still noticeably grey, also maybe add a seperater between each nav link, or something to distinguish that they are different links
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #3564

June 2012
    137 Posts
    Alright, tried to format the text a little more, made it narrower.

Still not too fond of the navigation but I can't think of anything that would look any better.
    for starters this is somehow a huge improvement from the one you posted like 5 posts ago but it's still plain as fuck try some cool subtle patterns~~~~ and change the nav it looks funky square nav buttons never look right

Edited:

put the text in some sort of container maybe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #3565
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,488 Posts
    Alright, put in a simple separator in place of the buttons, much better.

The content is more readable now too, thanks.

Is there anything else I could do to clean it up?

6. Post #3566
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,207 Posts

It all looks very cramped to me. Maybe put more space in between the different elements (I can't tell if it needs this, or if it's just because the placeholder content flows so badly) and add a slight bit more padding around the container, especially at the bottom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #3567

February 2012
    133 Posts

I would add some more padding inside the content and between paragraphs and headings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

8. Post #3568
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,488 Posts

More? I have quite a small screen so it's hard to gauge how it'll look at a higher resolution.

9. Post #3569

February 2012
    133 Posts

More? I have quite a small screen so it's hard to gauge how it'll look at a higher resolution.
    Looks better to me, but i don't really like the subtitle 2 and how it fits to the text but maybe its just me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

10. Post #3570
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,207 Posts

Make the padding at the bottom of the container the same as the rest of the sides. I'd recommend getting some actual content in there and it'll be much easier to recognize what needs fixed, because right now what is throwing me off is the content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #3571
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    A bit in your face but it'll do for now.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #3572
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,011 Posts

Any c&c before I make it functional?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #3573
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,665 Posts
    It's really dark.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #3574
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,011 Posts
    It's really dark.
    Any ideas how I can improve it, if I make the text any lighter it contrasts horribly with the dark background, so perhaps I should re-do the background or even the re-do color scheme?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #3575
    A bit in your face but it'll do for now.

Is the status of the listing (assuming that's what the icons are meant to represent) as important as the size/prominence of those icons makes it seem? To me that seems like it would be a one time and done sort of thing if it's just inserting the info for the property. I would think there's something more important that could live there instead.

Edited:

Any ideas how I can improve it, if I make the text any lighter it contrasts horribly with the dark background, so perhaps I should re-do the background or even the re-do color scheme?
    Make the text lighter but space everything out a little more. It will look 10x better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

16. Post #3576
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,665 Posts
    Well at the moment, everything is dark and there is a lack of contrast.
    Have a play around with the colours of the boxes you are putting your text in, also brighten the text on the navbar and perhaps consider adding a inner shadow to them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #3577
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts

Any c&c before I make it functional?
    The logo doesn't really match the rest of the page and as people have said the colours are way too dark. The ribbon the logo is contained in to me doesn't really suit the rest of the page but maybe it'd look better with a revised colour palette.

Try colour lovers (http://www.colourlovers.com/palettes/) maybe something like this: http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/623761/Walking_Away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #3578
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Is the status of the listing (assuming that's what the icons are meant to represent) as important as the size/prominence of those icons makes it seem? To me that seems like it would be a one time and done sort of thing if it's just inserting the info for the property. I would think there's something more important that could live there instead.

Edited:

Make the text lighter but space everything out a little more. It will look 10x better.
    I would make them smaller but they already took me ages to make in HTML/CSS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #3579
    Is that even really information that needs to show up there though? I think changing that published/not published indicator to just read "incomplete" would be a lot better use of space unless you're anticipating there being more incomplete listings in there than completed ones?

20. Post #3580
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    Is that even really information that needs to show up there though? I think changing that published/not published indicator to just read "incomplete" would be a lot better use of space unless you're anticipating there being more incomplete listings in there than completed ones?
    First thing I though too.

You're taking up a huge amount of space to convey a very small amount of data/info.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #3581
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Each one is a link to the respective category too. They look better as steps rather than just buttons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #3582
    Are all the editing pages separate pages, or are they held in tabs?

23. Post #3583
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,567 Posts
    Modifications/minor improvements in theme and then some bug fixes in code. Still a lot to do, don't get enough time after coming back from job:

Settled on this button graphics:
    Button idle:

Button hover:

Button pressed

Some WIP screenshots:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #3584
    February 2011
    920 Posts
    Holy screenshots batman!

Update/Reset button text isn't centred
    Add more padding to the tabs, they need to be bigger
    Still not a fan of the dark tile background
    A lot of elements need vertically aligning (form labels, inputs) especially in the cart rows
    Step 1/2/3 isn't laid out logically, either put step two in between one and three (so they are stacked vertically) or have each step on a separate page (more traditional).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #3585
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,567 Posts
    thanks for the input. Removed extra screenshots.

Holy screenshots batman!
    Update/Reset button text isn't centred
    Add more padding to the tabs, they need to be bigger
    A lot of elements need vertically aligning (form labels, inputs) especially in the cart rows
    quick update (before some peeps were saying that tabs were too big):

Still not a fan of the dark tile background
    Can easily be changed to another. Would you like to suggest any other background ?

Step 1/2/3 isn't laid out logically, either put step two in between one and three (so they are stacked vertically) or have each step on a separate page (more traditional).
    Seems good. Will see how it work out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

26. Post #3586

June 2012
    137 Posts
    those tabs are kinda ugly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #3587
    August 2009
    412 Posts
    They're almost the same color as the background.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

28. Post #3588
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Chrome bug?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #3589
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,567 Posts
    Yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

30. Post #3590
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    What's the span.tooltip::before?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #3591
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    What's the span.tooltip::before?
    That would be the arrow at the bottom of the tooltip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #3592
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts
    Can easily be changed to another. Would you like to suggest any other background ?
    I don't think it needs one. You already have the main background and then noise for the inner container. Just try making it plan dark grey? I also think you have too much box shadow and too many rounded corners perhaps remove it from the tabs and the main container. If you still want the rounded corners I'd make the radius smaller.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #3593
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    That would be the arrow at the bottom of the tooltip.
    Is it an image or do you render it all in CSS? I'm curious to see your source.

I'm a bit of an "old-timer" when it comes to cool stuff with CSS. I started doing commercial webdev back when you still had to support IE 5.5. I still use pngfix.js on most of the sites I do and quite often will do button sprite sheets instead of rendering 100% CSS buttons. Guess I'm kind of stuck in my ways and still don't trust CSS3 support :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #3594
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,079 Posts
    Never did ACTUAL web dev before (static HTML pages don't count) so this took me ages.
    http://elopakao.com/

What do you think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

35. Post #3595
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts

yay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Anonymous Proxy Show Events Programming King x 6Dumb x 4Winner x 2Optimistic x 2Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #3596
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,137 Posts
    That took way long, glad you finally got ahold of it though!

37. Post #3597
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    That took way long, glad you finally got ahold of it though!
    Yeah, 20 days to get it delivered was pretty long.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Anonymous Proxy Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #3598
    Upload Images
    April 2011
    731 Posts
    let us know if it's worth the price, your personal opinion that is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3599
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,665 Posts
    I have my website scaling up nicely for MDPI devices, but how would I test it for a HDPI device like a retina iPhone for example?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #3600
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    let us know if it's worth the price, your personal opinion that is.
    At the moment I'm still setting up, it'll be a while before I can start getting productive. By the way it's not retina, it's a 15" with high res screen. I excluded the retina because I was afraid the screen would not fit my web design needs (although the IPS panel is pretty good) because of the retina resolution and also because of the price tag was pretty high and the hardware cannot be tweaked after purchase (and paying 500 more for a 700GB of SSD rather than 500GB was not an option for me).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Anonymous Proxy Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)