1. Post #3761
    This kind of doubles as an off topic thread for the web dev section when no one posts anything interesting they're working on. I don't think it's a bad thing. I'll post a redesign I'm working on once I'm on my laptop again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #3762
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,848 Posts
    Jagex is working on making RuneScape in html5 apparently

java left, html5 right

actually im reading further into it and this post makes me feel like an idiot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Informative Informative x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3763
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    ITT: Mostly 18 year olds and younger who've never have a real job and don't understand how finances in the real world work. Housing, utilities, and food all cost money.

Those of us who are older than two decades are sitting here loling at your misunderstanding of the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #3764
    β–“β–“β–“ italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    So, my company said they've had a good experience with me and want me to sign a new contract to collaborate with them during school which starts in two weeks. I'd be working from home for something like 12-14 hours a week with a laptop they give me.

They currently pay me 4.16 € an hour which is pretty low but pretty much "standard wage" here in Italy. I was planning to ask for at least twice as that, or more, in order to sign with them.

What do you think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 10Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

5. Post #3765
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    640 Posts
    you're an amazing designer tera, don't settle for minimum wage!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #3766
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,848 Posts
    So, my company said they've had a good experience with me and want me to sign a new contract to collaborate with them during school which starts in two weeks. I'd be working from home for something like 12-14 hours a week with a laptop they give me.

They currently pay me 4.16 € an hour which is pretty low but pretty much "standard wage" here in Italy. I was planning to ask for at least twice as that, or more, in order to sign with them.

What do you think?
    Go for it. You've got some pretty kickin' designs so i dont see why not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

7. Post #3767
    β–“β–“β–“ italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    Well, I don't work as a designer there, I'm a developer. Their design offices are in the US.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Anonymous Proxy Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

8. Post #3768
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,403 Posts
    If you use this service it means you don't have the money to buy the product. It's better to save up 5 months and then buy it for 500 instead of paying weekly and ending up spending 700 over 7 months. You didn't had the money in the first place and you are just making things more expensive.
    What if you are staying far from your hometown and don't want to increase the weight of movable assets at your current temporary residence ? It makes sense to rent things then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

9. Post #3769
    February 2011
    920 Posts

What do you think?
    Sounds good, but isn't Italy poor as fuck at the moment? Might explain the minimum wage for a dev position...

Any chance of a set price per project? Might make things better for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #3770
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,192 Posts
    Speaking of jobs.. Tbh I've never really considered working for anyone else career wise since about the age of 12, and I don't think I ever will. Even if I was a debilitated tramp I'd still have some kind of venture going on.

It'd really make me cringe working for a web development firm and getting paid a set wage for completing full designs, only to see the company was pulling in tens of thousands per project.

If you guys have any cool ideas for stuff that need investment, I'd probably be interested in grabbing a small share and possibly contributing design/ development work.. I'm pretty new to VC so the amount I could offer would be fairly low and it'll be really select, but nevertheless feel free to PM me and we can work something out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #3771
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,690 Posts
    You see SCop, working in a web dev company assures that you DO get a wage. Working as a free lancer does not guarantees that you will be paid, sure, you can earn much more, however, what if you don't get lucky that month and find no work? You're pretty much fucked.

And this also applies for, let's called them start-ups, as in, first of all you must have some capital beforehand, because you will not earn money for at least some time. And another problem - if your idea fails, you're also pretty much fucked.

And that's why I think a set-wage job is important. Really, once you have such a job, I believe you should start thinking about your own ideas as side projects and when they're mature enough, leave your current work and dedicate yourself to the project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #3772
    β–“β–“β–“ italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    You see SCop, working in a web dev company assures that you DO get a wage. Working as a free lancer does not guarantees that you will be paid, sure, you can earn much more, however, what if you don't get lucky that month and find no work? You're pretty much fucked.

And this also applies for, let's called them start-ups, as in, first of all you must have some capital beforehand, because you will not earn money for at least some time. And another problem - if your idea fails, you're also pretty much fucked.

And that's why I think a set-wage job is important. Really, once you have such a job, I believe you should start thinking about your own ideas as side projects and when they're mature enough, leave your current work and dedicate yourself to the project.
    The thing about doing your own startups is that they're fun as hell and they'll also let you do what you want to do, which is important.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Anonymous Proxy Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #3773
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,192 Posts

I see too many people undersell and undermarket themselves as freelancers.

I know of a few freelance graphic designers, and their personal approaches by observing how they work.

One barely gets jobs and seems to spend all his time on Facebook going on about how he doesn't work for free.. even making beautiful images explaining how little he makes and how much he should be making. He uploads all his work onto Facebook and has no real way for people to contact him, aside from facebook.

His 'target market' seems to be small independent shops and bands, and people who want tattoos. All of these avenues have very little in the way of capital with which to pay him, so he shouldn't be expecting much more than 100 pounds per design, nor should he be pissed off when people ask him if he'll work for free.

Another spends time making a sharp, crisp, awesome corporate logo, and names his company after his own name (pretty simple right? Barely any creativity required for that but it works). He draws some select pieces of work that are of interest to his target market (cars designs) and puts them up on a nice portfolio website with a simple and clean theme.

He goes straight to every car and car design firm he can find, along with any companies tied to car design in some way, via email, to offer his services and price, and sends them a link to his portfolio. Within a day or two he lands a big contract and gets tens of thousands of pounds worth of work very quickly, which pays the bills for several months.

Another, who has been established for several years, offers his design services to companies like BMW and Audi to name a few.. He's somehow got away with charging them ridiculous amounts of money per concept he displays to them, and even if things aren't ever used, he still lands like the region of eight thousand pounds per iteration of design (half-weekly presentations or whatever) for some of his work. Of course he had to get to this stage first, which meant he did work for smaller companies and made less than he does now at some point in the past.

You have to remember that some huge companies probably hire ten different freelancers for the same job and just pick from the best one. When you've got millions coming in the door every day, having £100k to blow per week on some design projects is petty cash.

So yeah that's it. The 'trick' as a freelancer (can be applied to business as well, really) is to create work similar to what a customer already has, which will appeal to them. Stuff that matches their brand focus, if you will, and then contact them. Don't sit back waiting for jobs to come to you, or you'll end up behind a till at McDonald's, wondering why you aren't getting the recognition you deserve.

As for start-ups, it's a whole new ball game. If you can do stuff yourself the cost can be pretty minimal. Hosting for £5 a month and domains for £5 a pop (yearly). Where the ideas come from? Who knows. Experience as much as you can every day (even outside of the internet, although this is not essential) until inspiration strikes I suppose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #3774
    If you're running your business right (and yes, as a freelancer you are 100% an entrepreneur and business person, not just a developer or designer, which a lot of people seem to not realize) you don't rely on luck to find projects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #3775
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,690 Posts
    I never perceived working as a freelancer my business. I did it (and will do, probably) because I wanted to gain experience in the field and at the same time earn some money.

If you see yourself as a business then I do not think you can call yourself a freelancer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #3776
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,412 Posts
    free·lance/ˈfrēˌlans/
    Adjective:
    Working for different companies at different times rather than being permanently employed by one company.
    busi·ness/ˈbiznis/
    Noun:
    A person's regular occupation, profession, or trade.
    An activity that someone is engaged in.
    The two aren't mutually exclusive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #3777
    mkp

June 2012
    92 Posts

Finished the blog redesign :) (live@ http://blog.rndm.de/)
    If you got any problems feel free to tell me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

18. Post #3778
    usa
    anarchisticstudios
    December 2011
    2,209 Posts
    Windows 8 Buttons: http://jsfiddle.net/usa_/h5m8a/2/

I just had to have them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #3779
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,412 Posts
    Windows 8 Buttons: http://jsfiddle.net/usa_/h5m8a/2/

I just had to have them.
    Sexy, get some Segoe UI as the default font. Fall back to Open Sans if the user isn't on a windows machine.

20. Post #3780
    usa
    anarchisticstudios
    December 2011
    2,209 Posts
    Sexy, get some Segoe UI as the default font. Fall back to Open Sans if the user isn't on a windows machine.
    Im going to use them on my new site along with some even more sexy transforms similar to: http://lab.hakim.se/meny/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP New Zealand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

21. Post #3781
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    I'm building up my new personal site, probably it will be finished when... never, i guess.

Looks like shit though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #3782
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    I want to add a shoutbox to my site. Any recommendations which one to use?
    Also, are shoutboxes a good idea? Or is there something with similar functionality that works better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #3783
    β–“β–“β–“ italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    I want to add a shoutbox to my site. Any recommendations which one to use?
    Also, are shoutboxes a good idea? Or is there something with similar functionality that works better.
    A shoutbox sounds so 2003. What do you need it for, what kind of site do you want to put it on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 8Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

24. Post #3784
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    I know what you mean. Not to mention most of them would degrade my site to a teenage girl's blog.

I don't really NEED a shoutbox but here's my situation.
    It's a gaming website, we organize tournaments for League of Legends. I want a place where people can ask stuff, or generally talk and I can reply to them when ever I can. Something like comments on videos. I would use a forum but I think it pushes people away because they need to register.

Since it's a small website I don't see a problem with posting stuff as guests because I can remove it manually so a forum is an overkill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

25. Post #3785
    I know what you mean. Not to mention most of them would degrade my site to a teenage girl's blog.

I don't really NEED a shoutbox but here's my situation.
    It's a gaming website, we organize tournaments for League of Legends. I want a place where people can ask stuff, or generally talk and I can reply to them when ever I can. Something like comments on videos. I would use a forum but I think it pushes people away because they need to register.

Since it's a small website I don't see a problem with posting stuff as guests because I can remove it manually so a forum is an overkill.
    Doesn't sound hard to make IMO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

26. Post #3786
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    Well, I have never worked with databases and I have no idea how I'd make it auto refresh.
    Besides, I don't want to make it myself.

27. Post #3787
    β–“β–“β–“ italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    Well, I have never worked with databases and I have no idea how I'd make it auto refresh.
    Why not just make an IRC channel or a Skype group chat?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Anonymous Proxy Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

28. Post #3788
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    I don't need to communicate with the people I know. I want to be able to communicate with the visitors of my site.

29. Post #3789
    β–“β–“β–“ italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    Why not just make an IRC channel or a Skype group chat?

Edited:

oops

30. Post #3790
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,412 Posts
    I don't need to communicate with the people I know. I want to be able to communicate with the visitors of my site.
    IRC is public, and quite handy. Look into it.

31. Post #3791
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    IRC is public, and quite handy. Look into it.
    But it actually fulfills none of my demands.
    You need some kind of registration system, you can see only the messages that are sent after you log in and it's a bit too big for what I want.

32. Post #3792
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,436 Posts

Will add margins to the text, change the background color of the main block of text, and some other stuff.
    Thanks to USA for those buttons, I somehow made the buttons seamless.
    CC?

Edited:

Is there a way to make a div length relative to another div length?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

33. Post #3793
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    640 Posts
    But it actually fulfills none of my demands.
    You need some kind of registration system, you can see only the messages that are sent after you log in and it's a bit too big for what I want.
    False, chatlogs, and false.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #3794
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    You obviously wouldn't host your own IRC server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #3795
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,192 Posts
    Made this today.

http://gw2trading.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events

36. Post #3796
    February 2011
    920 Posts

Will add margins to the text, change the background color of the main block of text, and some other stuff.
    Thanks to USA for those buttons, I somehow made the buttons seamless.
    CC?

Edited:

Is there a way to make a div length relative to another div length?
    Paragraphs are far too wide, at that size it becomes a chore to read.
    Either narrow the text, or go for two columns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

37. Post #3797
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    932 Posts
    You need some validation on that email submission, apparently 'dicks' is a valid submission
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

38. Post #3798
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,192 Posts
    You need some validation on that email submission, apparently 'dicks' is a valid submission
    Haha, gonna prune it at a later date with a function that works out what's an email and what's not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #3799
    StealthPaw
    March 2008
    492 Posts
    Haha, gonna prune it at a later date with a function that works out what's an email and what's not.
    I'd recommend doing it sooner if you plan on spreading it around, SQL injection galore right there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #3800
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,426 Posts
    http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/Ep...eskin=monobook

I made a new skin for the wiki I am an administrator of. Comments?

The CSS code I edited may be found here if anyone wants to check that out. Note that I have only limited CSS skill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)