1. Post #121
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    It'd be awesome if the image thumbnails on the homepage had links. Other than that, very nice.

Edited:

Updated my World of Warcraft Map. Trying out some new interface features and improved the map's quality.

Does anyone that worked with the Google Maps API this heavily before have some tips on how I could enhance certain things before I start adding more features?
    Now for street view!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #122

May 2011
    213 Posts
    I like it. Looks very clean/minimalist. I think the font you chose at first works better though. The font in this screenshot that you posted earlier:
    And the symbol before your name was a nice touch, too.
    TerabyteS_ posted:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

3. Post #123
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    April 2006
    5,505 Posts

I love chrome and it's none existent font smoothing sometimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    I like it. Looks very clean/minimalist. I think the font you chose at first works better though. The font in this screenshot that you posted earlier:
    And the symbol before your name was a nice touch, too.
    I do like that as well, but I feel that it makes the page look way more generic, while the cursive typeface in the current version adds a bit of a personal and human touch.

5. Post #125
    July 2010
    1,750 Posts
    What if it was more in the middle of the screen?

6. Post #126
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    It'd be awesome if the image thumbnails on the homepage had links. Other than that, very nice.
    They're coming once I figure out how to do them nicely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    December 2011
    135 Posts
    the best thing you've ever made, it's a damn shame the top two thumbnails throw it off. logo might look better if it were a tiny bit smaller. on the about me, "transformed into a job" is an orphan and it looks weird. besides that, good job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,691 Posts
    TerabyteS_ did you actually buy Helvetica Neue?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

9. Post #129
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    TerabyteS_ did you actually buy Helvetica Neue?
    That'll be our little secret..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Don't be silly, UI designers don't steal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Zing Zing x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    I'll change it once I find a decent enough alternative.

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    "I'm a thief and a web developer."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #133
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    Don't worry, I've found a pretty close alternative: http://www.fontspace.com/roger-white/swansea

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,516 Posts
    "I'm a thief and a web developer."
    alright that's enough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    Fuck you, Windows.

16. Post #136
    December 2011
    135 Posts
    i'd say otherwise

Edited:

and omg no don't touch it's alignment, left aligned websites are so fucking great looking

17. Post #137
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    Fuck you, Windows.

You have to stick to a pretty limited set of fonts in Chrome on Windows to get it to render the fonts correctly.

18. Post #138
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    Anyways, I've opted for Open Sans

19. Post #139
    Unmetered VPS
    June 2010
    1,247 Posts
    Open Sans is sexy :D

https://github.com/Fizzadar/Fanatical-Dev-Core pushed the largest updates since the beginning of development, full twitter/oauth support, lots of other bits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Show Events

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    I've realised Opens Sans is 99% identical to Droid Sans but doesn't look terrible on Windows!

Thanks Tera!

21. Post #141
    October 2007
    608 Posts
    Looking good, but:

Very ragged copy. There's no space between line breaks, which makes the copy look like a paragraph with very odd breaks.

22. Post #142
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    Looking good, but:

Very ragged copy. There's no space between line breaks, which makes the copy look like a paragraph with very odd breaks.
    Do you mean empty rows? Right now every section is a single paragraph.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

23. Post #143
    October 2007
    608 Posts
    Do you mean empty rows? Right now every section is a single paragraph.
    By section, you mean each paragraph and subheader? If those two elements are supposed to be paragraphs, why are you breaking the line at odd intervals? It looks awkward. Especially when some lines seem to wrap much earlier than other lines. I've never seen a paragraph formatted like that before.

24. Post #144
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    By section, you mean each paragraph and subheader? If those two elements are supposed to be paragraphs, why are you breaking the line at odd intervals? It looks awkward. Especially when some lines seem to wrap much earlier than other lines. I've never seen a paragraph formatted like that before.
    If you look at the code you'll see that right now they're composed of inly an h2 and a p tag. Should I change that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

25. Post #145
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    If you look at the code you'll see that right now they're composed of inly an h2 and a p tag. Should I change that?

yes

Edited:

rule of thumb: if you need to use <br />, you're better off with </p><p>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Show Events

26. Post #146
    October 2007
    608 Posts
    I'm not sure what exactly is so hard to grasp here, I'm talking about the way you're randomly breaking the paragraph using <br/> tags.

Doesn't it look
    weird to you if I wrote a paragraph
    like this with inconsistent
    line endings?

Paragraphs should flow naturally and if you're going to start a new line you really should be closing that <p> tag and starting a new paragraph. You say both sections are one paragraph, if that's the case, there shouldn't be any <br/> tags breaking up the paragraph, that's visually contradicting with you saying it's one paragraph.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #147
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    I'm not sure what exactly is so hard to grasp here, I'm talking about the way you're randomly breaking the paragraph using <br/> tags.

Doesn't it look
    weird to you if I wrote a paragraph
    like this with inconsistent
    line endings?

Paragraphs should flow naturally and if you're going to start a new line you really should be closing that <p> tag and starting a new paragraph. You say both sections are one paragraph, if that's the case, there shouldn't be any <br/> tags breaking up the paragraph, that's visually contradicting with you saying it's one paragraph.
    Thanks for clearing that up, I'll correct it later

Edited:

Better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    Just finished the first day of my internship at !
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 12 (list)

29. Post #149
    Thanks for clearing that up, I'll correct it later

Edited:

Better?
    I personally feel that it would look perfect if you added a 5-10px bottom margin to your paragraphs. The thoughts are together now, but since the paragraphs have no spacing above/below each one, it still looks like it all kind of runs together to me. I found it a bit hard to read.

30. Post #150
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,924 Posts
    Everyone there uses Chrome, right?

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Replaying to this post using Opera Mobile, it's perfect.

Though you must admit, Opera is like a fallen war hero. It did amazing things but nobody seems to care.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #152
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    I personally feel that it would look perfect if you added a 5-10px bottom margin to your paragraphs. The thoughts are together now, but since the paragraphs have no spacing above/below each one, it still looks like it all kind of runs together to me. I found it a bit hard to read.

How is it now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    February 2011
    920 Posts
    Too spaced out.
    Move them ~50% closer.

And add a bit more space between the <h2> and first <p> of each section.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #154
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    Too spaced out.
    Move them ~50% closer.

And add a bit more space between the <h2> and first <p> of each section.
    I don't have much more flexibility than what you see there in terms of spacing because everything has to be aligned to a baseline grid.

35. Post #155
    February 2011
    920 Posts
    I don't have much more flexibility than what you see there in terms of spacing because everything has to be aligned to a baseline grid.
    It doesn't have to. As long as you're consistent throughout, there shouldn't be an issue. The web design police aren't going to come and bust down your door because your website doesn't conform to the grid system completely.

To be honest, I thought grid systems were mainly to align elements horizontally, in uniform columns. Vertical positioning shouldn't matter.

36. Post #156
    It doesn't have to. As long as you're consistent throughout, there shouldn't be an issue. The web design police aren't going to come and bust down your door because your website doesn't conform to the grid system completely.

To be honest, I thought grid systems were mainly to align elements horizontally, in uniform columns. Vertical positioning shouldn't matter.

Yep, Vietnow's is exactly what I was imagining. Looks a thousand times better. Most clients aren't even going to know what a baseline grid is. What they will know however, is that they're having a hard time reading your copy. Best to just stick with what looks good, unless of course this is for a school project where you actually HAVE to use baseline grid.

If the latter is the case, perhaps refining your content so that each paragraph consists of at least 3 sentences would make it look better with the grid.

Like the paragraphs here: http://www.alistapart.com/d/settingt...b/example.html

It might look weird to us just because you have several paragraphs that are one or barely two lines, and with a space between each short paragraph, it feels like the white space is bigger than the content itself. Maybe I'm just ranting, but food for thought.

My attempt:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #157
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    I tried to apply your suggestions (I won't change the line-heights though, the baseline grid is too important to the design):

Better? (I really can't tell myself because I already know what the copy says)

38. Post #158
    July 2010
    1,750 Posts
    I tried to apply your suggestions (I won't change the line-heights though, the baseline grid is too important to the design):

Better? (I really can't tell myself because I already know what the copy says)
    lessen the space with paragraphs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

39. Post #159
    February 2011
    920 Posts
    Working on a portfolio site, still WIP.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

40. Post #160
    Started working on this an hour ago for a client..please ignore the ridiculous dummy content as well as the DeviantArt social media button.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)