1. Post #1561
    November 2008
    1,196 Posts
    Trying to make myself a portfolio. But I've never learned CSS or HTML(5) so it's hard for me but I enjoy doing it. I'm a terrible designer too, so that doesn't help. I've come up with decent ideas and mockups in photoshop, just having trouble coding them.

But right now, I'm about to scratch my idea and come up with something more effective.
    http://jakesullivan.me/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1562
    April 2007
    1,230 Posts
    There are very few cases were you cant convert your photoshop layout into a fully functional website that looks just like the mockup (not counting stuff like font smoothing). Just need a lot of patience with the coding side of things, it can get tedious and I can see why it would be difficult to get started, CSS markup is pretty patchy stuff with quite a lot of bodged ways of accomplishing relatively simple things that you wouldnt think to use right off the bat.

Dont be afraid to accompany your website with images, obviously stuff like titles / nav links should not be images without some form of text-based backup for users which do not have images enabled (few and far between I know, but its good to cover all grounds). But for containers, logos, sidebars e.t.c. Its fine to just take your images right outta photoshop and convert them to containers were necessary.

I guess one way to learn these days would be to just have a read through some relatively simple HTML5 / CSS markup, hopefully then you can get a feel of how websites are structured through the markup, might give you a starting point for creating your own websites.

I have loads of website templates that are pretty simple and well layed out in terms of HTML and CSS, should be quite easy for you to decipher how they work. I can upload them for you if you want, not sure of how much use it would be though!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #1563
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Trying to make myself a portfolio. But I've never learned CSS or HTML(5) so it's hard for me but I enjoy doing it. I'm a terrible designer too, so that doesn't help. I've come up with decent ideas and mockups in photoshop, just having trouble coding them.

But right now, I'm about to scratch my idea and come up with something more effective.
    http://jakesullivan.me/
    Just keep at and eventually you'll get better. Try making a blog like template using HTML and CSS, you will probably learn a lot from it.

Read up on all of the HTML5 tags as well. I saw in your source that you used <header> but not <nav> or <footer>!

Toptip: Don't use <center> tags, they are deprecated in HTML5. Use the CSS: margin: 0 auto; instead, that makes the side margins expand to the width of the parent container creating the same effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #1564
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    I don't get why people were complaining about the pricing on Google App Engine. Obviously if you were doing something that it wasn't designed for (like interacting loads with external APIs) then you are going to munch through instance hours but it wasn't designed for that.

It would cost me less than £20 a month to serve 4 million normal requests.

The only requests that cost more are the ones were I have to interact with another server. Since the only requests that do this are when someone is paying for something (need to interact with paypal server) and these cost approx $1 for 1000 it is obviously no issue at all.

I mean it is pretty darn good value: 100% uptime, really fast, can survive a dDOS (only limit is how much money you can spend as they aren't going to overload Google's infrastructure - and at £20 for 4 million requests it would have to be a pretty large attack before you cared that much).

Obviously it isn't perfect for everything, but for what it is designed for it is absolutely amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

5. Post #1565
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    It would cost me less than £20 a month to serve 4 million normal requests.
    that's 1.5 requests per second.

my $5 a month fanatical vps can do that without even breaking a sweat

Edited:

The only requests that cost more are the ones were I have to interact with another server. Since the only requests that do this are when someone is paying for something (need to interact with paypal server) and these cost approx $1 for 1000 it is obviously no issue at all.
    a dollar for the privilege of making a thousand external request?

...and you're ok with that?

wow you're getting done
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #1566
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    Could your VPS cope if all those requests came at once?

And like I said the only external requests that are made are payments and since the minimum payment is £10:

$1 = £10,000

It is all to do with proportion.

I don't expect to pay a penny within the near future as a will not exceed the free quota.

You are assessing this as if the two systems are the same. They are not - GAE has better uptime, response time, scalability etc. If it costs me a couple of pounds for this then so be it (It is a couple of pounds for fuck sake).

That is like comparing a Dell to a custom build, sure the custom build is likely to be more expensive but when you need to upgrade something it is a hell of a lot easier to upgrade the custom build then the Dell.

Whilst GAE is more expensive, it is better so it is money well spent and the difference is negligible. If for every 4 million requests a site serves it is not making well more than the £20 they cost then they are doing something wrong. The amount of money I pay in paypal/banking fees is far far greater than what I pay for infrastructure so £20 a month for a service tht is rock solid and scalable is value. Your VPS is NOT rock solid, and is NOT scalable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #1567
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    web~scale`

Edited:

i happen to know a thing or two about scaling

Edited:

while there may not be any difference between the ~cloud~ and DIY on the lower levels you're working at, as soon as you need to grow, you'll notice GAE is starting to cost way more than necessary

and at that point you're too locked in to their service to move away easily
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1568
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,079 Posts
    you're not gonna win this argument
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #1569
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    web~scale`

Edited:

i happen to know a thing or two about scaling

Edited:

while there may not be any difference between the ~cloud~ and DIY on the lower levels you're working at, as soon as you need to grow, you'll notice GAE is starting to cost way more than necessary

and at that point you're too locked in to their service to move away easily
    It will never cost more than £20 for 4 million requests and that is an amount that I am more than comfortable with. These costs are so insignificant for what I do compared with the revenue. Naturally a file sharing site would cater more about costs but my core revenue is not through the site itself and therefore any hosting related costs will never amount to more than about 3% of total costs so for me the reliability of the app engine is more than worth the tiny amount of money I will have to pay. If my site was serving more than 4 million requests a month then I would be very very very surprised as the sort of work I do is not mass market work, I do not advertise - they find me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #1570
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    your first post was talking about how you don't understand why people are complaining about GAE in general and now you've changed your argument to being specifically about your use case
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #1571
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    your first post was talking about how you don't understand why people are complaining about GAE in general and now you've changed your argument to being specifically about your use case
    I said for what it is designed for - my use case is a perfect example of what it was designed for. If someone has an issue with the pricing then they were using it for something that it was not designed for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #1572
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    If someone has an issue with the pricing then they were using it for something that it was not designed for.
    so GAE isn't designed for any real world, medium/high traffic app?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1573
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    Google App Engine changed pricing structure, significantly increasing the cost and changing how it was calculated (from CPU-time to instance time). That's why people are complaining.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

14. Post #1574
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    Radix tree of PHPs builtin functions (PHP 5.3.10 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Feb 6 2012 19:18:12))

Code: https://gist.github.com/82f8d9f58798e960b9e2

Edited:

Oops, double post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

15. Post #1575
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,101 Posts
    Man I'm trying to follow that tutorial somebody posted earlier but Photoshop is such a pain in the ass to learn and understand
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

16. Post #1576
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,415 Posts
    Man I'm trying to follow that tutorial somebody posted earlier but Photoshop is such a pain in the ass to learn and understand
    I find Paint.NET easy to use, as well as professional.

.. and it includes everything you need.

.. and it starts up in no time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #1577
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    Radix tree of PHPs builtin functions (PHP 5.3.10 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Feb 6 2012 19:18:12))
    Code: https://gist.github.com/82f8d9f58798e960b9e2

Edited:

Oops, double post.
    Hm, I feel like you could combine the fold and add functions if you wanted to. If I skimmed correctly, you pull everything apart for starters when it's added and then push it all back together in the fold function.

Why not start with everything "top level" and then pull it apart as stuff gets added...if you know what I mean.

Edited:

I lol'd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #1578
    ▓▓▓ italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts

.. and it includes everything you need
    It's quite horrible actually, gets in your way and makes your work even harder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #1579
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,415 Posts
    No joke.
    Paint.NET includes everything you need to do in web designing.
    +It's super easy.

Photoshop is more photo editing, why would you do that in web design?

It's quite horrible actually, gets in your way and makes your work even harder.
    Gets in your way?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #1580

April 2011
    211 Posts

Looking for feedback.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

21. Post #1581
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,196 Posts
    One-hour project I tacked together at work as a prototype for the QA guys:

It's called lumberjack, it's a context-aware logging server & interface for multiple services, it understands common patterns and weird malformed log syntaxes from retarded legacy applications, runs on NodeJS.

The interface streams log feeds live through a websocket, you can subscribe to feeds from the different sources, and it can also fire off events on different conditions, for example, a super-bad® error in the log stream can cause e-mails to be fired off and the whole system to halt.

A LOT of little things that still need fixing, but hey, so far I'm pretty happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Portugal Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

22. Post #1582
    ▓▓▓ italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    Er.. okay..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #1583
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    Hm, I feel like you could combine the fold and add functions if you wanted to. If I skimmed correctly, you pull everything apart for starters when it's added and then push it all back together in the fold function.

Why not start with everything "top level" and then pull it apart as stuff gets added...if you know what I mean.
    I'm aware of that, but it was just a quick script I made for fun, so simplicity > performance.

24. Post #1584
    November 2008
    1,196 Posts
    There are very few cases were you cant convert your photoshop layout into a fully functional website that looks just like the mockup (not counting stuff like font smoothing). Just need a lot of patience with the coding side of things, it can get tedious and I can see why it would be difficult to get started, CSS markup is pretty patchy stuff with quite a lot of bodged ways of accomplishing relatively simple things that you wouldnt think to use right off the bat.

Dont be afraid to accompany your website with images, obviously stuff like titles / nav links should not be images without some form of text-based backup for users which do not have images enabled (few and far between I know, but its good to cover all grounds). But for containers, logos, sidebars e.t.c. Its fine to just take your images right outta photoshop and convert them to containers were necessary.

I guess one way to learn these days would be to just have a read through some relatively simple HTML5 / CSS markup, hopefully then you can get a feel of how websites are structured through the markup, might give you a starting point for creating your own websites.

I have loads of website templates that are pretty simple and well layed out in terms of HTML and CSS, should be quite easy for you to decipher how they work. I can upload them for you if you want, not sure of how much use it would be though!
    Sure! Thatd be awesome. Is there a good source you can recommend that has some good info on the different tags and what things like containers are/do. Also, I'm using notepad++ right now and was wondering if there was a good program for windows like coda for Mac?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

25. Post #1585
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts
    I've tried several programs (Paint.NET, CS5, Gimp and Sumo) and Photoshop was definitely the nicest to use for me personally with design. Photographers tend to edit photos in programs such as Lightroom and not Photoshop due to you using a raw image format.

It almost seems like you're saying Photoshop is for photo editing because it has the word photo in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #1586
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    956 Posts

It's called lumberjack
    We called our servers' logging system lumberjack, because it logs things

And one of our boxes is called dawkins
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

27. Post #1587

February 2012
    133 Posts
    Yes, they've probably been made in Photoshop, at least the "ribbons". Shadows and borders, though, are pretty easy to do with CSS3 nowadays.

Edited:

css only? :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

28. Post #1588
    ▓▓▓ italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    css only? :)
    Yes, except for the logo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

29. Post #1589
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,415 Posts
    Okey,I got it. we all have different taste.
    At least, I find paint.net usefully. Only use photoshop to draw.

30. Post #1590
    Pass along
    May 2008
    4,065 Posts
    After reading several times that Ruby and Ruby On Rails is worth a try, I decided to install it and check it out.

Just started with it, so I'm currently going trough: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html

It kind of looks like what I always looked for in terms of a programming language and Framework.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #1591
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    let us know how you fare
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

32. Post #1592
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,944 Posts
    On the topic of doing web design mockups, I've read that Apple's Keynote is meant to be really good. It can do master templates, has really smart grid lines, etc, that make doing mockups super quick and easy.

Edited:

http://edenspiekermann.com/en/blog/e...wer-of-keynote
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

33. Post #1593
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    80 Posts
    After reading several times that Ruby and Ruby On Rails is worth a try, I decided to install it and check it out.

Just started with it, so I'm currently going trough: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html

It kind of looks like what I always looked for in terms of a programming language and Framework.
    Taking that dive myself at the moment, struggling to find time with UNI though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

34. Post #1594
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,944 Posts
    On the topic of doing web design mockups, I've read that Apple's Keynote is meant to be really good. It can do master templates, has really smart grid lines, etc, that make doing mockups super quick and easy.

Edited:

http://edenspiekermann.com/en/blog/e...wer-of-keynote

I take it you guys didn't actually read the blog post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

35. Post #1595
    August 2009
    1,005 Posts
    I'm not that great with design, however my site desperately needed redoing, so any pointers regarding this? http://jack-morris.co.uk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #1596

April 2011
    211 Posts
    I'm not that great with design, however my site desperately needed redoing, so any pointers regarding this? http://jack-morris.co.uk
    I don't like the font you're using as a logo and contact. Apart from that, it looks awesome. It feels as if you're using too many hues of blue, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #1597

Do this: http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-o...-tutorial-book

It'll teach you about TDD and other nice things as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #1598
    ▓▓▓ italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts

I take it you guys didn't actually read the blog post
    I didn't read what it says but I must admit that the last picture looks interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #1599
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    http://itschat.meteor.com/
    Just a quick test of Meteor.
    Quite neat, but nothing more than a toy until they implement proper authorization.
    (And please, don't look at the code. When I said quick, I meant it.)

Edit: Really mature, guys...
    Anyway, I love how it automatically reloads the app when I deploy a new version.

40. Post #1600
    August 2009
    1,005 Posts
    I don't like the font you're using as a logo and contact. Apart from that, it looks awesome. It feels as if you're using too many hues of blue, though.
    I changed some of the blues to make it a bit more consistent. I'm not sure about the logo though, I like the idea of some sort of curly font, have you got any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events