1. Post #2241
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,137 Posts

Torrent music file parser. Uses the new HTML5 FileReader API, reads the torrent file, bencode decodes it, parses the filenames, checks common music patterns, uses the Last.fm API to retrieve missing info and album art. Works on about 90% of music torrents, the other 10% are people using really dumb and inconsistent formatting patterns.
    I made one of these a while ago but swap out the filereader api with ruby, I gave up at magnet URIs though. which seems to be where the torrent community is heading to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2242
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,003 Posts
    I made one of these a while ago but swap out the filereader api with ruby, I gave up at magnet URIs though. which seems to be where the torrent community is heading to.
    Magnet links would be a bitch to implement, you'd have to contact the swarm and request a file list. I hadn't even thought about magnet links, not even going to try.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

3. Post #2243
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,264 Posts
    Porbably a silly question but what do you guys use to make graphics?
    Like the buttons and headers for your sites.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

4. Post #2244
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,111 Posts
    Photoshop or GIMP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2245
    December 2009
    2,031 Posts
    Hey guys, not posted on this thread before. I'm hoping you could help me.
    I've set myself a little project for the summer to create a website, it'll probably contain game reviews, gameplay videos, articles on my thoughts on various things happening in games or the industry, etc.

I've never really done any programming before but I want to start learning a few languages so I want to try and create the whole website myself as a learning process, With html or javascript I'm not sure which though.

Could I get a few basic tips on getting myself started? Any programs I need, possibly tutorials/guides/books, how to best choose a webhost and things like that.

I'm pretty decent with computers, graphics and design but I've never made a website apart from through those WYSIWYG editors. I know it's probably a massive task to set myself but I'm willing to push myself and think it will be a fun project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #2246
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts
    CSS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #2247
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,111 Posts
    Hey guys, not posted on this thread before. I'm hoping you could help me.
    I've set myself a little project for the summer to create a website, it'll probably contain game reviews, gameplay videos, articles on my thoughts on various things happening in games or the industry, etc.

I've never really done any programming before but I want to start learning a few languages so I want to try and create the whole website myself as a learning process, With html or javascript I'm not sure which though.

Could I get a few basic tips on getting myself started? Any programs I need, possibly tutorials/guides/books, how to best choose a webhost and things like that.

I'm pretty decent with computers, graphics and design but I've never made a website apart from through those WYSIWYG editors. I know it's probably a massive task to set myself but I'm willing to push myself and think it will be a fun project.
    -Sublime Text Editor, or Notepad++ (Notepad++ is free, but Sublime is better imo)

-Also, in order to have a good mantainable blog, you will need a Content Management System (eg: Wordpress).

-Also, I'd stay away from WYSIWYG editors just because I've had problems with them accurately showing the end product.

-HTML and JS are two different things, JS is mainly used by web developers to add interactivity, while HTML is more the layout, and CSS being the design.

For a webhost I would go with http://lithiumhosting.com/ they have really affordable hosting, and for the domain I'd go with http://www.name.com/ or http://www.namecheap.com/

Also, check out some of the threads in Web Dev. because there are some good resources in them (Like this: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1040942)

Just if you haven't been overloaded yet, I want you to know that this would be pretty hard for a total beginner, so maybe you should look into Wordpress and make yourself a template.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

8. Post #2248
    December 2009
    2,031 Posts
    -Sublime Text Editor, or Notepad++ (Notepad++ is free, but Sublime is better imo)

-Also, in order to have a good mantainable blog, you will need a Content Management System (eg: Wordpress).

-Also, I'd stay away from WYSIWYG editors just because I've had problems with them accurately showing the end product.

-HTML and JS are two different things, JS is mainly used by web developers to add interactivity, while HTML is more the layout, and CSS being the design.

For a webhost I would go with http://lithiumhosting.com/ they have really affordable hosting, and for the domain I'd go with http://www.name.com/ or http://www.namecheap.com/

Also, check out some of the threads in Web Dev. because there are some good resources in them (Like this: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1040942)

Just if you haven't been overloaded yet, I want you to know that this would be pretty hard for a total beginner, so maybe you should look into Wordpress and make yourself a template.
    Thank you!

Edited:
    How exactly do I install Wordpress, do I need a webhost first?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

9. Post #2249
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,264 Posts
    CSS?
    Wow, just how do you actually just set up a simple but good looking graphical button.
    I've tried it but gave up, and did some buttons with other programs and imported it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

10. Post #2250
    CoderHire
    November 2007
    1,466 Posts
    CSS?
    Wow, just how do you actually just set up a simple but good looking graphical button.
    I've tried it but gave up, and did some buttons with other programs and imported it.
    Have a look here: http://nicolasgallagher.com/lab/css3-github-buttons/

11. Post #2251
    May 2010
    1,330 Posts
    Buttons are fun too make in CSS :)
    A lot of experimenting :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #2252
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts
    CSS?
    Once you've learnt how to make them once it becomes a lot easier to style them, and because they're made purely in CSS you can manipulate them a lot easier and not have to worry about creating a number of different images of different sizes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Europe Show Events

13. Post #2253
    December 2009
    2,031 Posts
    Web hosting and domain purchased. Just playing round with WordPress now to try get stuff up and running.

14. Post #2254
    italian
    June 2011
    2,642 Posts
    A revision to the album page

(it's actually the thirtieth)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #2255
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,111 Posts
    Web hosting and domain purchased. Just playing round with WordPress now to try get stuff up and running.
    I forgot a link: http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/sandbox
    That's like a base, IIRC, for making a theme since you need to know some PHP to make a wordpress theme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #2256
    December 2009
    2,031 Posts
    Okay in my site I want various sub-sections which are different buttons.
    So like;

[Home] [Reviews] [Videos] [Articles]

How do I make the reviews go in the reviews section, videos in the videos section, etc. And display everything on the Homepage in a blog format.

In wordpress btw.

17. Post #2257
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,264 Posts
    This is perfect!
    Can someone link more information pages like this?
    Just learned a lot more CSS just from this!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

18. Post #2258
    April 2007
    1,226 Posts
    Once you've learnt how to make them once it becomes a lot easier to style them, and because they're made purely in CSS you can manipulate them a lot easier and not have to worry about creating a number of different images of different sizes.
    Your always going to be limited if you stick to pure CSS for designing websites however, granted it can do some awesome stuff now (CSS3 buttons for example are awesome when done right), CSS is definetly the way to go if whatever your trying to create is possible with it, but your always going to need some sort of graphics manipulation package to do the stuff that just isnt possible or feasible in CSS.

19. Post #2259
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    This is perfect!
    Extreme CSS (not for the faint hearted): http://www.splashnology.com/article/...pure-css/3548/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #2260
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,003 Posts
    This is perfect!
    Most of us use CSS preprocessors such as Stylus, LESS or SASS/SCSS. You usually compile these server side but you can use the following to compile your LESS stylesheets every time you save: WinLess (Windows), SimpLESS (Windows, Linux, Mac) and Less.app (Mac). With CSS preprocessors you can do cool stuff like (following is stylus, it has a weird minimalist syntax, if you don't like it you should like one of the alternatives):

Code:
    gradient(start, stop)
        background-color start
        background-image -webkit-linear-gradient(start, stop)
        background-image linear-gradient(top, start 0%, stop 100%)
        background-image -ms-linear-gradient(top, start 0%, stop 100%)
        background-image -moz-gradient(center top, start 0%, stop 100%)
        background-image -moz-linear-gradient(center top, start 0%, stop 100%)
        background-image -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, from(start), to(stop))
        filter unquote('progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr=' + start + ', endColorstr=' + stop + ', GradientType=0)')

button(s=0%, d=0%)
        from = darken(spin(#4689db, s), d)
        to = darken(spin(#205885, s), d)
        gradient lighten(from, 8%), lighten(to, 8%)
        &:hover
            gradient darken(from, 5%), darken(to, 5%)
        &:active
            gradient darken(from, 10%), darken(to, 10%)

.button
        button()
        &.purple
            button 50%
        &.pink
            button 100%
        &.red
            button 150%
        &.yellow
            button 200%
    After you've used a preprocessor you never go back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #2261
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Their Twitter buzz feed sells it:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

22. Post #2262
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    923 Posts
    A revision to the album page

(it's actually the thirtieth)
    I think there is a little too much blue in it, what if you put all of the artists from the about paragraph and put them into a tag box or something.

like that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #2263
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,003 Posts
    I think there is a little too much blue in it, what if you put all of the artists from the about paragraph and put them into a tag box or something.

like that?
    Except that doesn't solve anything because there's the same amount of blue...

24. Post #2264
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    923 Posts
    Except that doesn't solve anything because there's the same amount of blue...
    But it breaks it up, meaning your not distracted by the blue so much if you are simply intending to read the about notes on the album. So it does solve the problem (what I considered the problem at least).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #2265
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,003 Posts
    But it breaks it up, meaning your not distracted by the blue so much if you are simply intending to read the about notes on the album. So it does solve the problem (what I considered the problem at least).
    You've just shifted the concentration of blue slightly, it's not really any more readable. It'll distract you just as much being separated from the main body, it looks weird just having it floating out there.

26. Post #2266
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,969 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

27. Post #2267
    April 2007
    1,226 Posts
    You could give each artist its own little box/button/background like other tag 'clouds', then when you click them it takes you to there wiki page / some page related to them on Voze.

28. Post #2268
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    I like this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #2269
    italian
    June 2011
    2,642 Posts
    I like this:
    I was experimenting with this new style earlier:

Edited:

looks very clean and polished
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 17Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #2270
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,137 Posts
    That is a very great design, loving the effects, very web 3.0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #2271
    December 2009
    2,031 Posts
    http://www.mjolnir-gaming.com/

My first initial design. Literally started the website yesterday so be nice.
    I don't know what to use for the background. Any ideas?

32. Post #2272
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    white > black

designs. not races.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #2273
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,480 Posts
    white > black

designs. not races.
    races too, who are we kidding?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Funny Funny x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

34. Post #2274
    December 2009
    2,031 Posts
    white > black

designs. not races.
    I know, I want it white, but it's hard getting it to fit right.

35. Post #2275
    April 2011
    257 Posts

For a decent background image (if you want an image at all) try out: http://subtlepatterns.com/
    And if you're considering making a lighter design - get rid of the drop-shadow, and make the things on the side a slightly darker shade (e.g. #F2F2F2 - with the background being #FFFFFF). That would make them stand-out slightly.

Add some colour (aka remove the black navigation bar - and change the colours on it).
    The font in the paragraphing is hard to read - either increase the font-size slightly, or change it to a slightly more readable font. (**Could just be my eyes; it's getting late...).

But the overall design of the site is good - Hope this helps you, and wasn't too harsh!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

36. Post #2276
    italian
    June 2011
    2,642 Posts
    Today I spent the afternoon and evening trying to recover my Ubuntu Virtual Machine (which contained the updated sources of my personal website along with some other stuff) after ~inadvertently~ deleting the partition table of the Virtual Drive that had Ubuntu installed on it. It was fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #2277
    C:\
    March 2011
    1,749 Posts

1920x1080 chrome
    also what blog software is that?

Edited:

I know, I want it white, but it's hard getting it to fit right.
    Well, if it ain't white it ain't right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #2278
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    5,965 Posts
    i ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nginx
    and got
    Code:
    Fetched 404 kB in 1s (354 kB/s)
    wtf nginx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #2279
    December 2009
    2,031 Posts
    Okay I had another play round. If anyone has any ideas for background/header styling I'm happy to totally change the header, or any colouring of the background or content. These are just initial designs.

Tick for this one:

Cross for this one:

Zing for this one:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

40. Post #2280
    italian
    June 2011
    2,642 Posts
    Okay I had another play round. If anyone has any ideas for background/header styling I'm happy to totally change the header, or any colouring of the background or content. These are just initial designs.

Tick for this one:

Cross for this one:

Zing for this one:
    The middle one but try removing some of the space at the top
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)