1. Post #2681
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    BEWARE: Someone made it redirect to Meatspin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2682
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #2683
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    Bootstrap sites lack so much personality.
    They lack personality when you know what Bootstrap is. For someone who has never seen it before, it's quite beautiful, IMO. You can always use LESS and customize it though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #2684
    Pass along
    May 2008
    4,065 Posts
    I use bootstrap for quick prototyping and then I slowly change it so to make it more unique. I find it really useful to have a default toolset with which you can work with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #2685
    They lack personality when you know what Bootstrap is. For someone who has never seen it before, it's quite beautiful, IMO. You can always use LESS and customize it though.
    I thought it was ugly and completely uninspired before I knew what it was.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #2686
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    I thought it was ugly and completely uninspired before I knew what it was.
    And bland as fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree x 2Optimistic x 1Dumb x 1Winner x 1Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #2687
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    I've been working on my web desktop for a while now and I've developed some really powerful and flexible APIs. The following is the code for a text editor that uses Ace and supports full syntax hightlighting, and the opening and saving of files: https://gist.github.com/6ea229efa74437c43d00
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

8. Post #2688
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    where are your namespaces dawg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #2689
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #2690
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    I've made a script that downloads the entire map off of wordsquared.
    It downloads it that way because since the map has no strict bounds and can expand in any direction, you need to explore and find the tiles yourself based on what you see on.

I've got a downloader that gets the images and a script that stitches them into an html file.

Then you can look at the tiny details of the map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #2691
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,091 Posts
    People use bootstraps default styling? Isn't it just a framework?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #2692
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    So I just found the new Google Script thingy, not sure what they want us to do with it, but it really is still in beta:

I'm not sure which one to press...
    That isn't new
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #2693
    July 2011
    49 Posts
    http://i.imgur.com/J5unH.png

I really like how clean the sidebars look. Any thoughts? (Focus on those, ignore the filler text.)
    I dislike them. Hard to read due to them being written vertically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2694
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    640 Posts
    Working on a simple personal portfolio design, Wanting the minimal look. In saying that, i'm a very picky person and it's very hard for me to be satisfied with personal designs in the end, Curious, can anyone offer any advice as to what i should do with this navigation? I like keeping it simple, but it doesn't look quite right to me, the blue box, or whatever color comes out in the end would only be shown on the page you're currently viewing, i'm rambling on, here's a very basic navigation pic

Fixed over-sized image.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #2695
    ezio audtioriet
    May 2007
    1,336 Posts
    Could be nice with a picture that isn't zoomed in and pixelates it, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events

16. Post #2696
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    780 Posts
    Working on a simple personal portfolio design, Wanting the minimal look. In saying that, i'm a very picky person and it's very hard for me to be satisfied with personal designs in the end, Curious, can anyone offer any advice as to what i should do with this navigation? I like keeping it simple, but it doesn't look quite right to me, the blue box, or whatever color comes out in the end would only be shown on the page you're currently viewing, i'm rambling on, here's a very basic navigation pic

Fixed over-sized image.
    First of all, if it's a personal portfolio why would you use "About US" and "Contact US". Should be "About ME" and "Contact ME".
    And I think the padding left and right on the blue box should be slightly bigger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

17. Post #2697
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    "about me" sounds a bit off, would just scrap the ending and make it "about" and "contact"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #2698
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    Rate agree/disagree if you think that the following is fair wage for a web developer working for a company that has contracts in the 100s of thousands:

A month: 800 euros (982 AUD, 1,007 USD, 643 GBP)
    A week: 200 euros (245 AUD, 251 USD, 160 GBP)
    A day: 40 euros (49 AUD, 50 USD, 32 GBP)
    An hour: 5 euros (6 AUD, 6 USD, 4 GBP)

Edited:

Also the person is Italian.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 22Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #2699
    August 2009
    402 Posts
    Rate agree/disagree if you think that the following is fair wage for a web developer working for a company that has contracts in the 100s of thousands:

Minimum wage here is 7.25 USD per hour.

You would be getting paid less for a technical job than someone who works at McDonald's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

20. Post #2700
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    Minimum wage here is 7.25 USD per hour.

You would be getting paid less for a technical job than someone who works at McDonald's.
    Portugal minimum wage is 2,96875 euros (3,7 USD) per hour, 475 euros (598 USD) per month.
    It depends not only how much but how much do will spend in shitty stuff and that depends from country to country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events

21. Post #2701
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts

Edited:

Also the person is Italian.
    This is about me. Let me add some details to give a better picture of the situation.

I am 18 years old and this is my first job.
    I am working during my summer break. I'll be working there for two months until school resumes at the beginning of September.
    I still have one year left to finish High School (High School in Italy lasts more and it's some kind of a mix between High School and College, and it's followed by University)
    I went to work there on an internship with another three classmates of mine. We were chosen as the best of my class and offered to do the internship by our teachers.
    The internship lasts a month, from Jun 25 to Jul 25.
    I have been offered a contract on my second day of internship. The contract would last two months, until school resumes in September.
    I am the only one who has been offered a contract so far out of the three of us. Maybe they've seen something in me.
    They have offered me 800 net income. That means they pay all of my taxes (that's how it works here in Italy for most contracts) with their own money and give me 800 to keep. According to stats, about 20% of the gross salary goes into taxes.
    My parents (and some other Italian people that I've talked to) think this is a decent salary. Salaries in Italy are fucked up and low by definition: my mother told me that one of her colleagues has worked in insurance for more than 10 years and still gets little more than 1000 a month. I strongly believe that Italy's social and economical situation should be considered in the judgement.
    I am still learning: in the time I'll work there, I'll have to learn how to use their tools and take time from my coworkers for explanation. Right now I don't provide my maximum potential value.

This should give enough detail to get more spot on feedback. Feel free to ask any questions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #2702
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    If you lived in Greece, Portugal or something you wouldn't even asked if it's good or not. That's probably your first job and you will have something to put on your portfolio, so take it and stop asking stupid questions. Europe is going from bad to worse, i don't even imagine in Greece but in Portugal i'm actually working for a secondary local administrative unit and in 15 days we win 200 euros (251.98 USD) and we got to dig graves if needed, set up and disassemble stages, carry heavy stuff, working all day with 35C (95 degrees Fahrenheit) till you can't even see the sun.
    Fucking grow up and stop complaining or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

23. Post #2703
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    Portugal minimum wage is 2,96875 euros (3,7 USD) per hour, 475 euros (598 USD) per month.
    It depends not only how much but how much do will spend in shitty stuff and that depends from country to country.
    Wouldn't technical jobs have a much higher minimum/average wage?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

24. Post #2704
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    What? Minimum wage is for everyone. Of course you have higher wage if you choose a job like that, probably you wouldn't got any job for the area you were expecting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #2705
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    What? Minimum wage is for everyone. Of course you have higher wage if you choose a job like that, probably you wouldn't got any job for the area you were expecting.
    I know, but some sectors have different minimum wages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

26. Post #2706
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    I know, but some sectors have different minimum wages.
    Not here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #2707
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    640 Posts

getting the feeling this is too simple looking and not appealing whatsoever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

28. Post #2708
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts

getting the feeling this is too simple looking and not appealing whatsoever
    The fonts you've chosen look off, it's probably because the styling isn't consistent.

Not here.
    It is in Italy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #2709
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    If you lived in Greece, Portugal or something you wouldn't even asked if it's good or not. That's probably your first job and you will have something to put on your portfolio, so take it and stop asking stupid questions. Europe is going from bad to worse, i don't even imagine in Greece but in Portugal i'm actually working for a secondary local administrative unit and in 15 days we win 200 euros (251.98 USD) and we got to dig graves if needed, set up and disassemble stages, carry heavy stuff, working all day with 35C (95 degrees Fahrenheit) till you can't even see the sun.
    Just to clarify my position, I'm fine with it, I'm not complaining about it at all. Other people (not from Italy) have been repeatedly suggesting that it's very low, I'm on the border of being abused and I should definitely push for a much higher wage (~2000$ I've been told). I honestly am not convinced at all of this, nor why and how I should ask for more and I posted here to hear other people's opinions about this matter.

By the way, in Italy there's no minimum wage enforced by law.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

30. Post #2710
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    In the UK we have three levels of minimum wage depending on age:

6.08 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
    4.98 - the 18-20 rate
    3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #2711
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    Go fuck yourself then. Very low my ass.

(User was banned for this post ("Dumb rude reply" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

32. Post #2712
    Skilled technical work isn't really comparable to manual grunt labor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #2713
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,194 Posts

Dumb post with some valid points. Hi, I'm Portuguese too!

800, in Italy, at Gab's age isn't too shabby. Italy is very much in the financial shitter like Portugal, Greece, Spain and the likes, and he should take the opportunity. At his age his monthly expenses (AFAIK) are relatively low, and the experience and connections are an added value in this shithole of an economy. It may very well be a choice between 800/mo on a decent job that you can grow with (and eventually out of, to better places), or the possibility of multiple years of unemployment. You being Australian, Jelly, are out of touch with the current situation in this side of Europe - Spain is almost at 50% unemployment.

Edited:

Wouldn't technical jobs have a much higher minimum/average wage?
    Not by much, I only make as much as I do because I get paid from another country. Average entry wage in Portugal for skilled individuals in this area (at least a degree, and about 3 years of experience) can be as low as 1200 - that is assuming you can even find a job. One of the guys bagging my groceries in the local supermarket is a licensed biochem, I have a friend with three math and physics degrees working in a clothes store, and many more on the dole. Things are pretty bleak in Portugal, Spain and other countries affected by the crisis. We have a highly skilled generation living off, in average, 500 per month, either out of social security or unfulfilling jobs.

Edited:

Just to clarify my position, I'm fine with it, I'm not complaining about it at all. Other people (not from Italy) have been repeatedly suggesting that it's very low, I'm on the border of being abused and I should definitely push for a much higher wage (~2000$ I've been told). I honestly am not convinced at all of this, nor why and how I should ask for more and I posted here to hear other people's opinions about this matter.
    Are those other people Australian, by any chance, where the standard of living, average wage and job offers are much better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #2714
    This is about me. Let me add some details to give a better picture of the situation.

I am working during my summer break. I'll be working there for two months until school resumes at the beginning of September.
    I still have one year left to finish High School (High School in Italy lasts more and it's some kind of a mix between High School and College, and it's followed by University)
    I went to work there on an internship with another three classmates of mine. We were chosen as the best of my class and offered to do the internship by our teachers.
    I have been offered a contract on my second day of internship. The contract would last two months, until school resumes in September.
    I am the only one who has been offered a contract so far out of the three of us. Maybe they've seen something in me.
    They have offered me 800 net income. That means they pay all of my taxes (that's how it works here in Italy for most contracts) with their own money and give me 800 to keep. According to stats, about 20% of the gross salary goes into taxes.
    My parents (and some other Italian people that I've talked to) think this is a decent salary. Salaries in Italy are fucked up and low by definition: my mother told me that one of her colleagues has worked in insurance for more than 10 years and still gets little more than 1000 a month. I strongly believe that Italy's social and economical situation should be considered in the judgement.
    I am still learning: in the time I'll work there, I'll have to learn how to use their tools and take time from my coworkers for explanation. Right now I don't provide my maximum potential value.

This should give enough detail to get more spot on feedback. Feel free to ask any questions.
    To me it is a no-brainer. You're a kid, not even out of high school yet. You've definitely got talent, which nobody can deny, but it could also be said you have much to learn about the business world and the politics/situations that often arise in holding an actual job. Regardless of that though, the fact you were offered a contract so early definitely says they're interested. You have to get an in to be able to start going up.

It's a 2-month contract, which means if you hate it or think you can find a better opportunity, you aren't tied down for very long at all. And if you're loving it and doing a good job, I'll bet they offer you something better after that contract is up.

I guess what I'm saying is it's going to be EXCEPTIONAL experience that you can take with you to other jobs, it'll look better on a resume than McDonalds, and you're getting paid to do something you love while being able to look forward to a steady paycheck for a few months.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #2715
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    Are those other people Australian, by any chance, where the standard of living, average wage and job offers are much better?
    Yup.

Edited:

Go fuck yourself then. Very low my ass.
    I'm sorry that you are frustrated for whatever reason but I don't think I'm the person on which you should discharge your frustration.

Edited:

To me it is a no-brainer. You're a kid, not even out of high school yet. You've definitely got talent, which nobody can deny, but it could also be said you have much to learn about the business world and the politics/situations that often arise in holding an actual job. Regardless of that though, the fact you were offered a contract so early definitely says they're interested. You have to get an in to be able to start going up.

It's a 2-month contract, which means if you hate it or think you can find a better opportunity, you aren't tied down for very long at all. And if you're loving it and doing a good job, I'll bet they offer you something better after that contract is up.

I guess what I'm saying is it's going to be EXCEPTIONAL experience that you can take with you to other jobs, it'll look better on a resume than McDonalds, and you're getting paid to do something you love while being able to look forward to a steady paycheck for a few months.
    Thank you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #2716
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    780 Posts
    Here in The Netherlands it's around 4euro/h bruto minimum for and 18 year old. That is very high compared to most other European countries. I made that amount as a "kitchen help" (dish-washing mostly) as webdeveloper you would get at around 10 euros/h. That is if you show skill and actually get hired...

I would be happy if I had the chance to work as a webdev for 5e/h netto when I was 18.

Edited:

Just spoke to a friend of my who was in almost the exact same situation as you except he already finished highschool. He started with 5 euros/h bruto. Which became quickly 8 euros/h. He is 20 right now and still working there for a little more then 10 euro/h.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

37. Post #2717
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    Just decided to play about with getting information from a JSON API (In this case, Facebook Graph). Seems to work quite well!

FYI: I have no clue who that guy is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Programming King Programming King x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #2718
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts

Knowing this, then that is more than ok wage for your first job, Other people have to remember that even tho you have shown to know your stuff on here to the employer your just a gifted scholar.
    (Also if you add the tax cost your wage would probably be more towards the 1000 mark I assume which is more than reasonable for what essentially is an internship)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #2719
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,091 Posts

Guys help. Good? bad? what do?
    (Disregard text, it's just filler)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

40. Post #2720
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Give us some info and maybe we could be more helpful.

Personally, I think everything sans the white boxes is too dark. It almost looks like there's an overlay over it all.

It looks pretty good design wise though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)