1. Post #5201
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,661 Posts
    I'm having an issue with what appears to be the multiplayer games of source. (tf2, gmod, css, hl2:dm)
    I don't quite remember when it happened but it wasn't too long ago. When I launch one of these games, the screen is invisible until I click or another action is done. The memory usage is less than 150MB.

If I put hl2.exe into compatibility mode of winxsp3, then it launches, but aero gets disabled.
    I tried launching these games on a new windows profile and all the games launched fine.

I really don't want to spend the time to migrate my profile to a new one since that would fuck with a lot of things.
    Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how I could solve it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #5202
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Thet crossover you linked is 100x100mm VESA, catleaps are 75x75mm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #5203
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    GTX 580 at 89 Celcius under rapist load, such as Witcher 2. I'm sitting with a fractal design core 3000 case and summer ambient is like 27 degrees. What's wrong here? I got one side-fan blowing in on it so it has ample intake. Should i move it to the bottom or?

For comparison, the Q9550 CPU runs frosty at 45-50 degrees under Prime 95 and my trusty ol' gtx 260 never went past 69 Degrees.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

4. Post #5204

April 2011
    4,553 Posts
    89 is fine

5. Post #5205
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    My problem isn't really the temps as much as the goddamn fan noise.

6. Post #5206
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,193 Posts
    Crappy GPU cooling maybe?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #5207
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,173 Posts
    Doesnt sound really bad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events

8. Post #5208
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,617 Posts
    Quick question for the experts in here.

I've been using WMP for all of my media playback and, up until now have had no problems with the program whatsoever. Recently, playing back larger AVI files has become quite a task for the program for some reason, as it takes a good few minutes to load the file and begin playback, and, after attempting to exit the program, it will freeze for upwards of 5 minutes.

My computer isn't the best computer in the world, but I've no idea why a 3.2 ghz Phenom II quadcore, GTX460, and 16gb of DDR3 1600 ram wouldn't be able to play back a 720p AVI file recorded and encoded in the machine itself. To test this, I installed VLC and the file plays back perfectly.

Here's my question. Can anyone recommend a good free media player that can serve as a worthy replacement for WMP in all aspects? I'd use VLC but I'm kind of OCD about aesthetics and I'm unable to find a skin that doesn't make me want to barf, so I'm still looking for alternatives.

tl:dr Can anyone recommend a worthwhile media player that isn't ugly as sin?

9. Post #5209
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,173 Posts
    Vlc with wmpc design
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

10. Post #5210
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,661 Posts

I've been using WMP for all of my media playback and, up until now have had no problems with the program whatsoever. Recently, playing back larger AVI files has become quite a task for the program for some reason, as it takes a good few minutes to load the file and begin playback, and, after attempting to exit the program, it will freeze for upwards of 5 minutes.

My computer isn't the best computer in the world, but I've no idea why a 3.2 ghz Phenom II quadcore, GTX460, and 16gb of DDR3 1600 ram wouldn't be able to play back a 720p AVI file recorded and encoded in the machine itself. To test this, I installed VLC and the file plays back perfectly.

Here's my question. Can anyone recommend a good free media player that can serve as a worthy replacement for WMP in all aspects? I'd use VLC but I'm kind of OCD about aesthetics and I'm unable to find a skin that doesn't make me want to barf, so I'm still looking for alternatives.

Media Player Classic.
    You can completely remove the border with key 1.

11. Post #5211
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,624 Posts

MPC-HC.

Also, for animation, I suggest you use SmoothVideo-Player(may require some extra setup)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #5212
    March 2010
    1,809 Posts
    I have no experience in buying motherboards, I currently have an ASRock H61M-HVS. I'm not sure what to replace it with if need be.

13. Post #5213
    I deny that I'm a Weebo Warrior
    September 2011
    5,599 Posts
    I have no experience in buying motherboards, I currently have an ASRock H61M-HVS. I'm not sure what to replace it with if need be.
    Keep it for now since it has ivy support. But if you really need to.
    Upgrade to this. (I'm assuming you have an ATX case)
    ASUS P8 Z68-M PRO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

14. Post #5214
    March 2010
    1,809 Posts
    Also doesn't switching out motherboard make windows think it's a different computer, so you need a different key?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

15. Post #5215
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    39,114 Posts
    My computer has used an ECS motherboard, a MSI motherboard, and a Gigabyte motherboard.

Not once did it ask for a new/different key.

16. Post #5216
    May 2011
    3,068 Posts
    My computer has used an ECS motherboard, a MSI motherboard, and a Gigabyte motherboard.

Not once did it ask for a new/different key.
    Some brand-name computers will do this, however. I'm not sure what part I changed, but I remember an HP computer of mine doing this.

17. Post #5217

May 2012
    180 Posts
    Im looking for a music player I use mainly FLAC files at home and would like to bring them around with me.

I found these online after a quick search

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...rlrefer=search

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...rlrefer=search

Any other opinions/ suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #5218
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,766 Posts
    does anybody know where the sound effect changer is in windows 7

I remember there being different environments you can change it to like auditorium and mountains and stuff

19. Post #5219
    does anybody know where the sound effect changer is in windows 7

I remember there being different environments you can change it to like auditorium and mountains and stuff
    I don't think that's a default Windows thing; I think that's only done through certain audio drivers (my VIA drivers do it).

20. Post #5220
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Do hazro use b-unit panels in their monitors?
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=1120&subcat=

10-bit, 1600p, 30", seems great for the price but unsure if their panels are reliable.

21. Post #5221
    I heard the Hazro monitors use the same ones as the Catleaps. Just with better quality control.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

22. Post #5222
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    I heard the Hazro monitors use the same ones as the Catleaps. Just with better quality control.
    BRT, just the man I wanted to speak with, I basically have upto 700 to spend on a monitor, what are your suggestions having (I assume) done your research on this?

23. Post #5223
    Do you really wanna go with 30" the 27's are slightly smaller pixel pitch. You could get maybe two of them for that price.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

24. Post #5224
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Do you really wanna go with 30" the 27's are slightly smaller pixel pitch. You could get maybe two of them for that price.
    Doesn't really bother me, the hazro just seemed to be great value for money, I only want one monitor though, leaning towards Dell U2711 because it's Dell, there's honestly not a lot of choice up here, there's Dell and HP then there's the 'others'.
    Hazro is really tempting though, as good as a monitor can be honestly but b-grade worries me.

25. Post #5225
    November 2011
    439 Posts
    I just bought BF3 a few days ago (Late I know, but I still play BC2), and my i7 920 has been hitting temps of 90 degrees. I don't think it should be that hot. Should I be worried, and what can I do?
    Specs
    + 500w CoolerMaster PSU
    Update for anyone who cares. Went out and bought myself some arctic silver, applied, also discovered that one of the clips was not in at all on my heatsink, and that my cheap thermal paste had clumped up, making it run even hotter. Now playing 64 player BF3 at 65c.

26. Post #5226
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,703 Posts
    Nearly ready to pull the trigger with this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Memory Express)
    Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX)
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($117.34 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $1125.06
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-19 21:29 EDT-0400)

I'll be picking up whatever Memory Express has, plus they've got a price match thing going on, so disregard most of the merchants listed. Any objections?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #5227
    PLUNGER BUTT
    November 2010
    2,756 Posts
    Whats a good laptop that can play games? My friend doesn't want to build a desktop and wants something he can take anywhere can play games.

Edited:

He has a budget of around 1000 usd.

28. Post #5228
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,559 Posts
    Whats a good laptop that can play games? My friend doesn't want to build a desktop and wants something he can take anywhere can play games.

Edited:

He has a budget of around 1000 usd.
    If he really needs a gaming laptop he'll have to accept the limited battery and mobility. Check out Sager/Clevo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

29. Post #5229
    April 2011
    16 Posts
    I've got the exact same problem as described here: http://discuss.extremetech.com/forum...004437004.aspx

Except that it isn't only happening with one folder, it does it with my downloads folder, one of my memory sticks and a couple of other random folders. I also notice that if I navigate to my downloads folder via "computer -> C:\Users\User\downloads" I don't have that problem, however when I navigate to that folder any another way I do have that problem.

I've tried messing around with folder templates, resetting folder views and ticking "Remember each folder's view settings".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #5230
    March 2010
    1,809 Posts
    The two little knubs that hold my case off the ground came off in the back, so now the bottom vent is blocked by the floor. Does this matter or is it trivial?

31. Post #5231
    September 2011
    5,599 Posts
    The two little knubs that hold my case off the ground came off in the back, so now the bottom vent is blocked by the floor. Does this matter or is it trivial?
    Unless you got a fan going. Nope nothing to worry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events

32. Post #5232
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Nearly ready to pull the trigger with this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Memory Express)
    Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX)
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($117.34 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $1125.06
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-19 21:29 EDT-0400)

I'll be picking up whatever Memory Express has, plus they've got a price match thing going on, so disregard most of the merchants listed. Any objections?
    Minor gripe is last gen gpu. Otherwise, not really. If i could buy at NCIX, i wouldn't be too bothered. They seem to know what they're doing. Otherwise, self-built's my thing.

33. Post #5233
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    best gaming mouse for 20?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #5234
    February 2010
    389 Posts
    I'm thinking of installing another of my cards later down the line, I'm just unsure about if ill be able to still run it off my current PSU it's a Corsair GS600
    here's my specs, the card in question is a MSI Twin Frozor 560TI.

Is it possible? or will I need a new power supply?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

35. Post #5235
    September 2011
    5,599 Posts
    I'm thinking of installing another of my cards later down the line, I'm just unsure about if ill be able to still run it off my current PSU it's a Corsair GS600
    here's my specs, the card in question is a MSI Twin Frozor 560TI.

Is it possible? or will I need a new power supply?
    Sadly the GTX 560 requires 2 PCI-E connectors (which are already being used by your current GPU)
    I would say you can run it via molex adapters but you would need a new PSU if isn't possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

36. Post #5236
    February 2010
    389 Posts
    Sadly the GTX 560 requires 2 PCI-E connectors (which are already being used by your current GPU)
    I would say you can run it via molex adapters but you would need a new PSU if isn't possible.
    yeah, i have the molex connections available, a set came with the GPU, and I have the available plugs on my PSU aswell. I'm just not sure wether it'll have enough power to supply to both the cards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

37. Post #5237
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,703 Posts
    Minor gripe is last gen gpu. Otherwise, not really. If i could buy at NCIX, i wouldn't be too bothered. They seem to know what they're doing. Otherwise, self-built's my thing.
    That's unfortunately all I can get right now without going over budget. Down the line I may SLI some 670s.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #5238
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    best gaming mouse for 20?
    Get another 5 and get a G400, arguably the best sensor in any mouse to date, up there with intellimice.

39. Post #5239
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    6,569 Posts
    I got a second hand laptop 2 days ago, a toshiba m70 and anytime I close the lid it goes into hibernation mode. How do I stop it from doing it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #5240
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,606 Posts
    I got a second hand laptop 2 days ago, a toshiba m70 and anytime I close the lid it goes into hibernation mode. How do I stop it from doing it?

Open Power Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Power Options.

On the Select a power plan page, click Choose what closing the lid does.

On the Define power buttons and turn on password protection page, next to When I close the lid, choose what you want your mobile PC to do, both for when it is running on battery and when it is plugged in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)