1. Post #4201
    May 2011
    879 Posts
    Alright. Thank you for answering. Now I know that I can only buy a new mobo and CPU and don't have to worry about the GPU or RAM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #4202
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    In desperate need of a proper Monitor. Is this a good buy? It looks like a really good price and free shipping.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16824236176

Fuck it I'm clicking the checkout button. I need a monitor and this looks like a deal I can't miss out on. (regular 179.99? hells yea!)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

3. Post #4203
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    In desperate need of a proper Monitor. Is this a good buy? It looks like a really good price and free shipping.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16824236176

Fuck it I'm clicking the checkout button. I need a monitor and this looks like a deal I can't miss out on. (regular 179.99? hells yea!)
    ASUS makes good monitors and that is a good price. Buy it if you haven't already
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

4. Post #4204
    March 2010
    1,775 Posts
    I'm thinking of upgrading my radeon hd 6770 to This GTX 560 with a 2-year warranty. Would there be a better option in that price range? Also, is installing a graphics card really simple as slot and secure it?

5. Post #4205
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    I'm thinking of upgrading my radeon hd 6770 to This GTX 560 with a 2-year warranty. Would there be a better option in that price range? Also, is installing a graphics card really simple as slot and secure it?
    Yes the 560 fits in the market nicely, same speed as the 6870, it is a waste however to buy a superclocked card so get something cheaper such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127592.
    Although there will be a good boost in performance coming from a 6770, it might not be as significant as you're hoping, it might be wise to spend the extra for a 560 Ti/7850, and installing the GPU is as easy as you described.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #4206
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,796 Posts
    Graphics card questions.

Firstly, I currently have two GTX 460s in SLI, which is ok but I'm looking to upgrade to Fermi, likely the GTX 670 since it's damn near the power of the 680 for a lot less money.

I try to run a three monitor setup, but have had to revert back to two as I can't run SLI for gaming when my third monitor is active, and the power of a single 460 isn't getting me the framerates and detail I need.

So what I'm looking to do is upgrade to the 670 and use its multitude of display ports to run my three monitors without the need for SLI, so I can have gaming power but the use of all three of my monitors.

My first question is - I have two DVI-connected monitors and a VGA monitor. Is there a cheap adapter I can buy that will change the VGA to DisplayPort or HDMI for the 670's output?

Second, I've found the following Gigabyte GTX 670 on special offer for 319.99 (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=GX-095-GI) - it's about 10 more than the standard board, and I'm looking at it less for the slight overclock and more for the apparently very good three fans it has popped on top. Is this a good one to go for? Should I be buying it now or is there due to be a price drop soon? Should I even go for this version of the card?

7. Post #4207
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,377 Posts
    Graphics card questions.

Firstly, I currently have two GTX 460s in SLI, which is ok but I'm looking to upgrade to Fermi, likely the GTX 670 since it's damn near the power of the 680 for a lot less money.

I try to run a three monitor setup, but have had to revert back to two as I can't run SLI for gaming when my third monitor is active, and the power of a single 460 isn't getting me the framerates and detail I need.

So what I'm looking to do is upgrade to the 670 and use its multitude of display ports to run my three monitors without the need for SLI, so I can have gaming power but the use of all three of my monitors.

My first question is - I have two DVI-connected monitors and a VGA monitor. Is there a cheap adapter I can buy that will change the VGA to DisplayPort or HDMI for the 670's output?

Second, I've found the following Gigabyte GTX 670 on special offer for 319.99 (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=GX-095-GI) - it's about 10 more than the standard board, and I'm looking at it less for the slight overclock and more for the apparently very good three fans it has popped on top. Is this a good one to go for? Should I be buying it now or is there due to be a price drop soon? Should I even go for this version of the card?
    From what I looked up you will most likely see a performance drop going from SLI 460's to a single GTX 670. I wouldn't think I'd care to spend $400, possibly loose some performance simply to keep from having to disable SLI to utilize all your monitors.

8. Post #4208
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,153 Posts
    Graphics card questions.

Yes there are adapters but why the hell would you go DisplayPort -> VGA :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #4209
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,796 Posts
    From what I looked up you will most likely see a performance drop going from SLI 460's to a single GTX 670. I wouldn't think I'd care to spend $400, possibly loose some performance simply to keep from having to disable SLI to utilize all your monitors.
    Really? Are you sure? I couldn't find any benchmarks between the 670 and two 460's, but the 670 trounces the single 670 easily. Plus I'm looking to overclock a not-so-little amount, and the hassle of having to shut all my programs (like Firefox in which I always have a great number of tabs etc open) including my SDK stuff is for me probably worth the price. It's a choice between my workspace and gaming power, and since a single 460 doesn't cut it any more it's the sensible choice to me. If the 680 were a more reasonable price I'd probably go for that, but it's a substantial amount more than the 670 :/

Edited:

Yes there are adapters but why the hell would you go DisplayPort -> VGA :c
    Because my third monitor is VGA? Why would I spend hundreds of pounds on a new monitor when my current one works fine and just needs an adapter?

10. Post #4210
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,377 Posts
    Really? Are you sure? I couldn't find any benchmarks between the 670 and two 460's, but the 670 trounces the single 670 easily. Plus I'm looking to overclock a not-so-little amount, and the hassle of having to shut all my programs (like Firefox in which I always have a great number of tabs etc open) including my SDK stuff is for me probably worth the price. It's a choice between my workspace and gaming power, and since a single 460 doesn't cut it any more it's the sensible choice to me. If the 680 were a more reasonable price I'd probably go for that, but it's a substantial amount more than the 670 :/

Edited:

Because my third monitor is VGA? Why would I spend hundreds of pounds on a new monitor when my current one works fine and just needs an adapter?
    Well yeah a 670 is going to destroy a 460 in a one to one comparison, but your comparing SLI to non SLI. It would be, in my opinion, a waste. I know what it's like having SLI and multiple displays and I don't feel like it is enough of a hassle to warrant spending $400+ on a GPU that is going to give you relatively equal performance to what you already have. $400 is a lot to spend to save the thirty seconds a few times a day to turn off your programs and enable SLI. Anyways firefox can restore previous tabs.

11. Post #4211
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,796 Posts
    Well yeah a 670 is going to destroy a 460 in a one to one comparison, but your comparing SLI to non SLI. It would be, in my opinion, a waste. I know what it's like having SLI and multiple displays and I don't feel like it is enough of a hassle to warrant spending $400+ on a GPU that is going to give you relatively equal performance to what you already have. $400 is a lot to spend to save the thirty seconds a few times a day to turn off your programs and enable SLI. Anyways firefox can restore previous tabs.
    Alrighty thanks for your input. In case I do decide to go ahead with it anyway, do you know of a DisplayPort/HDMI - VGA adapter I could use for my monitor?

12. Post #4212
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,377 Posts
    I assume you're in the UK but look for something like this,
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #4213
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,796 Posts
    Thanks, I am. I found this by the way:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...5-tomshardware

Edited:

With that and the fact I'll get some money back eBaying my 460s I think I'm definitely going to go the route of the 670.

14. Post #4214
    ● Heavy. Like nearly 100lbs heavy when you load in your hardware.
    ● The Handles do not help as they shift the weight and make it hard to lift.
    ● Takes two people to move my computer.
    ● Doors don't "effortlessly" go back on, you might end up fumbling to put the door on for a few minutes.
    ● Onboard Fan controller has very little control and shorts out easily, only one channel works on mine now, out of like 5 I think.
    ● The control pad feels cheap and tricky to use in the dark.
    ● The CPU backplate area is too small. I had to put the heatsink on my mobo before inserting it.
    ● The Clearance from the top of the mobo to the top of the inside of the case is crazy small. You will kill your hands plugging anything in up there, and with fans you're Looking at like half an inch of clearance, versus like 5 inches in some other cases.
    ● No wheels, only rubber feet.
    ● The hotswap bays catch on drives that aren't a full 3.5" form factor.
    ● All the fan filters cause any fans not running at 3000rpm to move to no air. Nothing. I cut out all my filters and just deal with dusting my PC.
    ● Very little watecooling potential, unless you're on average hardware with low end GPU's.
    ● The top opening also has the fine mesh fan filters causing no air to be vented unless you're on like 2000rpm fans. I completely took it out.

The case is huge, but so much of that space is not seen inside, It's a wasteful design. I did a lot of cutting to make it work for me. Currently it's a great case, but took my months of tinkering to make it usable. With the default config, I'd have to run all my fans at max to move any air through the fan filters. Cutting them out lets me run my system at barely audible levels even when running BF3 with two aircooled GTX580's.

If watercooling, look elsewhere.
    If Aircooling, look elsewhere or prepare to get the dremel out.

Edited:

If you have the money, go with a caselabs M8 or M10. I think those are beautiful, and when I rebuild this system at the end of the year I plan on going with a TH10
    Ajacks, did you see my post about the Cosmo2

15. Post #4215
    March 2010
    2,233 Posts
    When I was playing Tribes, my laptop went to 90 degrees C. Which is probably not good. How can I improve this?
    My laptop's vents are 1 and a half inches away from the wall, and I can't really do anything to fix that.

16. Post #4216
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    ASUS makes good monitors and that is a good price. Buy it if you haven't already
    Yea I ordered it. I don't know how long this sale is going on for with this monitor and I didn't want to miss it. With my luck if I waited a few days I would be stuck getting some shitty monitor for the same price. Now I can't wait for it to come in! This HDTV really hurts the eyes after a while. And 1024x768 is tiny...

Edited:

When I was playing Tribes, my laptop went to 90 degrees C. Which is probably not good. How can I improve this?
    My laptop's vents are 1 and a half inches away from the wall, and I can't really do anything to fix that.
    Laptops have a huge tendency to over heat. If you don't already have a coolant pad, consider getting one. Just be sure to clean the laptop of dust as it accumulates very quickly when it's sitting on one. But if it's reaching 90C, it could be that it just does not like gaming at all.

17. Post #4217
    March 2010
    2,233 Posts
    Yea I ordered it. I don't know how long this sale is going on for with this monitor and I didn't want to miss it. With my luck if I waited a few days I would be stuck getting some shitty monitor for the same price. Now I can't wait for it to come in! This HDTV really hurts the eyes after a while. And 1024x768 is tiny...

Edited:

Laptops have a huge tendency to over heat. If you don't already have a coolant pad, consider getting one. Just be sure to clean the laptop of dust as it accumulates very quickly when it's sitting on one. But if it's reaching 90C, it could be that it just does not like gaming at all.
    It's designed specifically for gaming though. But how are coolant fans going to help when the fans and vents are on the back?

18. Post #4218
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,375 Posts
    Anyone knows a good video editor that is free?
    So far I've been using WLMM, and yes it's alright but things like adding multiple captions at the same point or adding a picture on video is simply not possible.
    Lightworks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #4219
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    It's designed specifically for gaming though. But how are coolant fans going to help when the fans and vents are on the back?
    It's the only option with a laptop. Gotta get air flowing on it. There are coolant stands that are for back vents.

20. Post #4220
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    8,389 Posts
    If I had to return a motherboard and was forced to get a completely different model, will my copy of windows be invalidated?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I've been told this might be an issue and i'm just completely clueless.

21. Post #4221
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,153 Posts
    Yes of course, all major hardware changes do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events

22. Post #4222
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    8,389 Posts
    Yes of course, all major hardware changes do that.
    As in, I'll have to buy a new key?

23. Post #4223
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    Pretty sure he's being sarcastic. Your key will be fine.

24. Post #4224
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,153 Posts
    As in you have to activate it again (Entering the key and then either through the internet or their offline means.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events

25. Post #4225
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,493 Posts
    Can you guys help me find a laptop for my dad?
    He needs one that is cheap (~450$), has a 15 inch screen, Windows 7, and a MacBook-ish keyboard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events

26. Post #4226
    March 2010
    1,775 Posts
    Yes the 560 fits in the market nicely, same speed as the 6870, it is a waste however to buy a superclocked card so get something cheaper such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127592.
    Although there will be a good boost in performance coming from a 6770, it might not be as significant as you're hoping, it might be wise to spend the extra for a 560 Ti/7850, and installing the GPU is as easy as you described.
    Would a warranty be worth it for a graphics card? That one that you linked doesn't seem to have an option for it.

27. Post #4227
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,153 Posts
    Why would you get extra warranty, they won't replace it for overheating or anything anyway probably.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events

28. Post #4228
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    You will most likely get a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer, in this case MSI.

29. Post #4229
    January 2011
    708 Posts
    building my first computer, upgrading from a lousy single core to a core i5 3570k (3.40ghz) and i was wondering if its a good idea to reuse the stock heatsink fan since im on a budget.
    if so, where do i go about to find a decent fan for this processor?

Edited:
    my old cpu was an AMD sempron 140 single core (2.7ghz) and was kept at average 45 Celcius

30. Post #4230
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    building my first computer, upgrading from a lousy single core to a core i5 3570k (3.40ghz) and i was wondering if its a good idea to reuse the stock heatsink fan since im on a budget.
    if so, where do i go about to find a decent fan for this processor?

Edited:
    my old cpu was an AMD sempron 140 single core (2.7ghz) and was kept at average 45 Celcius
    If you're buying the i5 3570k from a retailer or anything that isn't OEM, it'll come with a decent heatsink to use with it. I overclocked my i5 2500k to 4.2 ghz with the same heatsink at great temperatures, so you should have nothing to worry about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

31. Post #4231
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,301 Posts
    Can you guys help me find a laptop for my dad?
    He needs one that is cheap (~450$), has a 15 inch screen, Windows 7, and a MacBook-ish keyboard.
    I would look at the Asus A53 or K53 or something to that direction .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230401 for example is a nice one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

32. Post #4232
    I would look at the Asus A53 or K53 or something to that direction .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230401 for example is a nice one.
    I'm advising everyone to avoid Asus.

I ordered one, a G75. Three months ago. Took them two months to ship it to me, three hours for it to break, and another month to get it repaired. And the only "sorry" I got was 3-day shipping on the final "here's your $1500 laptop back".

So yeah. Avoid Asus at all costs, because they seem to be fucking everything up right now.

33. Post #4233
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    189 Posts
    How can I boost volume through my headphones? What do I need to buy?

34. Post #4234
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    - snip -

35. Post #4235
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,473 Posts
    You will most likely get a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer, in this case MSI.
    I have a 10 year waranty from EVGA for my GPU.

36. Post #4236
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    XFX double lifetime warranty. Unbeatable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

37. Post #4237

February 2012
    27 Posts
    150 pounds will make it kinda hard. But I always recommend the 3570k if you can afford it, a z77 motherboard, and a hyper 212 heatsink. But that total is about 300 pounds I think. If the 150 pounds is strict, you could maybe get a phenom x4, but it wouldn't be that big of a increase.
    Sorry, bit of a late reply, but will I need to buy a new heat sync because I change my mobo from AMD? or do you just recommend that heat sync for that set-up?

38. Post #4238
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    Sorry, bit of a late reply, but will I need to buy a new heat sync because I change my mobo from AMD? or do you just recommend that heat sync for that set-up?
    A decent heat sink will come with the cpu, you don't need to buy a new one unless you want to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #4239

February 2012
    27 Posts
    A decent heat sink will come with the cpu, you don't need to buy a new one unless you want to.
    Alright, thanks for the help

40. Post #4240
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,255 Posts
    I'm seriously considering underclocking my Nvidia GTX 560 Ti. My display drivers crash constantly on over half my games. With most of my games this causes the screen to go black and requires me to end the process to get rid of it. I've heard the 560 Ti is a very unstable card for what it is, but downclocking it to regular 560 standards significantly increases stability (prevents the drivers from crashing). Unfortunately I honestly don't know how to go about doing this.

So I guess my question is; how do I downclock my card to regular standards and what are the associated risks with doing this?