1. Post #4881
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    480 Posts
    According to this the my CPU temperature should not exceed 62C, however when stress testing (using OCCT) my temps go up to 86 degrees (I configured OCCT to stop the test if 85 degrees was exceeded). I'm using a stock cooler on default clocks.

Should I worry? I didn't notice any system instability at all during the test.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

2. Post #4882
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,704 Posts
    Does anyone here know how I would go about playing an MP3 through my Mic in-game using Virtual Audio Cable?

Just downloaded VAC and quite frankly I'm stumped as to how to use it.

Edited:

Worth mentioning that I will also need to talk on Skype simultaneously
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Denmark Show Events

3. Post #4883
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,172 Posts
    You are killing your hardware really fast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4884
    Dedicated to the facepunch title flaming brigade
    October 2011
    740 Posts
    Use Lagarith as the codec.
    Did that, but after I render the video, it's still there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events

5. Post #4885
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    2,870 Posts
    Having an error with my new laptop. To put it in short, I can't hold any button on the keyboard and click at the same time, which is making it impossible to play virtually any game. I tried looking it up, but I couldn't find any results.

For example, in Garry's Mod, I can't spawn anything. I open the spawn menu, and clicking on any icon does nothing, because I'm holding down the Q key. When I edited the console to make the spawn menu toggleable, I was able to spawn props, because I wasn't doing anything but clicking. Does anyone know if there's some kind of driver option that allows me to hold buttons and click at the same time?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #4886
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,440 Posts
    I'm out shopping for electronics. I want to have a small Netbook that I can use for school. Word processing, internet browsing, and at most a couple of emulators for games. My price range is $200-$250. Is it worth getting a Netbook or should I just get a Nexus 7 tablet and use that with a Bluetooth keyboard?

7. Post #4887
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    2,870 Posts
    I also might need a quick answer. I'm in a mapping contest, and as I said, I literally can't play any games without being able to hold buttons and click at the same time.

fuck, broken automerge. Thanks, sgtnapalm.

8. Post #4888
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,972 Posts
    On my Dad's netbook (Windows XP) Avast blocks all connections to any websites because of URL:MAL but a scan shows nothing
    What can it be?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

9. Post #4889
    I'm out shopping for electronics. I want to have a small Netbook that I can use for school. Word processing, internet browsing, and at most a couple of emulators for games. My price range is $200-$250. Is it worth getting a Netbook or should I just get a Nexus 7 tablet and use that with a Bluetooth keyboard?
    Nexus 7

10. Post #4890
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,902 Posts
    I would say a netbook is better for word processing. But it depends. If you already own a copy of Microsoft Office for PC and you like it, then definitely get a netbook.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #4891
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,440 Posts
    I would say a netbook is better for word processing. But it depends. If you already own a copy of Microsoft Office for PC and you like it, then definitely get a netbook.
    With a netbook I would be totally fine with LibreOffice, but I'm not sure if there are any good netbooks in the $200-$300 range. At the same time, I don't know of any good word processors for Android that are free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #4892
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,902 Posts
    Well, it depends what you mean by "good". The Acer Aspire One is decent, and most models are less than $300 (but you only get 1 GB RAM).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

13. Post #4893
    Dancing Member
    July 2009
    2,758 Posts
    Can anyone reccomend me a nice 27" screen (1920x1080) with a thin border?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

14. Post #4894
    Put them in my first post.
    Your render settings, not the project settings.

Also why 720x480, that's like DVD quality. Set it to the resolution of the video. Also don't use a pixel aspect. Set it to 1.

The lines are interlacing and it's being added in the render stage.

Edited:

Why does v-sync force mouse acceleration anyway? I remember BRT explaining a while back but I can't remember, it completely ruins it for me.
    It's not acceleration, it's that generally double buffered Vsync allows for like 2-3 frames of delay before the image is shown. Triple Buffering generally helps this along with keeping the FPS from cutting in half like 60 to 30 to 15, etc.

There are ways around it, but generally, Vsync will give mouse lag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

15. Post #4895
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,610 Posts
    Is there a way to completely disable temperature sensors?

Without breaking them with something?

Edited:

Betterquestion

What's an easy and cost free way to stop my CPU from idling at near 90 celsius
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

16. Post #4896
    June 2008
    3,556 Posts
    Are there any significant differences in performance using a different number of RAM modules? E.g. if I were to buy 8 GB of memory, I could do so with a single 8 GB stick, two 4 GB sticks, or four 2 GB sticks. Would any of those options be better than the others?

17. Post #4897
    I deny that I'm a Weebo Warrior
    September 2011
    5,542 Posts
    Are there any significant differences in performance using a different number of RAM modules? E.g. if I were to buy 8 GB of memory, I could do so with a single 8 GB stick, two 4 GB sticks, or four 2 GB sticks. Would any of those options be better than the others?
    2x4GB you won't see any difference at all that's noticeable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

18. Post #4898
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,767 Posts
    I noticed someone said lagarith for DXTory, are you on about as a codec to record with or a post-prod codec
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #4899
    Generally both. Since it's lossless, it's good for recording and intermediate editing work. Though I find it slightly unstable in vegas. UT is more stable for me. So I stick to UT422 for most stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #4900
    If you have a multi-channel memory controller (you almost definitely do), you may get a *slight* performance increase from doing more sticks. However, that's often so small as to be undetectable even by testing.

I would recommend getting 1x8gb if it's the same price as 2x4gb, simply because you'll be able to upgrade more cleanly. But if 2x4gb is cheapest (and it likely is), go with that, because honestly, the performance differences are that small.

21. Post #4901
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,910 Posts

This is idle, any ideas what would cause it.

22. Post #4902
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    More sticks can also hinder CPU overclock headroom but in normal user scenarios (people who aren't watercooling or going further) you won't notice.

23. Post #4903
    June 2008
    3,556 Posts
    If you have a multi-channel memory controller (you almost definitely do), you may get a *slight* performance increase from doing more sticks. However, that's often so small as to be undetectable even by testing.

I would recommend getting 1x8gb if it's the same price as 2x4gb, simply because you'll be able to upgrade more cleanly. But if 2x4gb is cheapest (and it likely is), go with that, because honestly, the performance differences are that small.
    Looks like it's gonna be 2x4GB then.

Bit of a post-question question: I'm looking at two 8GB sets of Mushkin memory on Newegg. One has their wavy-style heat spreader, and the other has the ridge-style heatspreader. Identical specs, identical price. Is there going to be any sort of difference there, or is it just a styling choice?

24. Post #4904
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,440 Posts
    Well, it depends what you mean by "good". The Acer Aspire One is decent, and most models are less than $300 (but you only get 1 GB RAM).
    This might be an ideal solution. When I meant "good," I mostly meant "good build quality," or more to the point, "won't explode." 1 GB RAM should probably be enough to hold me over. In all likelihood, I would wipe it and stick some Linux distro on it. Again, I only plan on using it for word processing, web browsing, and emulation of simple things like Game Boy games, so I don't need a super duper gaming netbook.

Edited:

Looks like it's gonna be 2x4GB then.

Bit of a post-question question: I'm looking at two 8GB sets of Mushkin memory on Newegg. One has their wavy-style heat spreader, and the other has the ridge-style heatspreader. Identical specs, identical price. Is there going to be any sort of difference there, or is it just a styling choice?
    It's largely aesthetic. In practice it really shouldn't make a difference.

25. Post #4905
    June 2012
    41 Posts
    is sli supported well in most games? i'm considering getting another one of the same graphics card i have now (gtx 550 ti) and putting them in sli, either that or getting a gtx 570/580 instead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #4906
    May 2011
    2,016 Posts
    I have at the moment 2x2GB Ram sticks in my Computer. Would there be a problem if I install a further 2 sticks of 4gb each?
    My motherboard is the Asus M4A78T-E btw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

27. Post #4907
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,312 Posts
    Can anyone reccomend me a nice 27" screen (1920x1080) with a thin border?
    Buy any monitor and take the bezel off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

28. Post #4908
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,795 Posts
    I'm trying to make my own private svn repository on my host.

I've created it via putty on my server. I'm trying to connect to it via Tortoise and svn+ssh, it continuously asks for my password to login, and never accepts it.

What do?

29. Post #4909
    Dedicated to the facepunch title flaming brigade
    October 2011
    740 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events

30. Post #4910
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    May 2010
    8,010 Posts
    Got given a Dell 6400, but for some reason it isn't posting and theres no display either.

Backlight works every now and then, but the hard drive does work. Does this mean the motherboard just shat itself?

31. Post #4911
    is sli supported well in most games? i'm considering getting another one of the same graphics card i have now (gtx 550 ti) and putting them in sli, either that or getting a gtx 570/580 instead
    Nowadays few games don't support SLI. Only a few I currently play don't support it. Such as RAGE, Minecraft, and a few other games. But you can pretty much buy a game and assume it will support SLI pretty well now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

32. Post #4912
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    Is there a way to completely disable temperature sensors?

Without breaking them with something?

Edited:

Betterquestion

What's an easy and cost free way to stop my CPU from idling at near 90 celsius
    Can you not afford thermal compound? You could use Petroleum Jelly if you need to. Mix it with some toothpaste. I could send you some if you'd like.
    (Thermal Compound, not Vasoline. Who knows what you'd be doing with that.)

33. Post #4913
    October 2011
    2,585 Posts
    When the hell are they bringing out the GTX660?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

34. Post #4914
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,795 Posts
    I'm trying to make my own private svn repository on my host.

I've created it via putty on my server. I'm trying to connect to it via Tortoise and svn+ssh, it continuously asks for my password to login, and never accepts it.

What do?
    plz halp

35. Post #4915
    January 2012
    263 Posts
    Kingston 128GB V200 SSD vs Samsung 830 128GB

Kingston 128GB V200 = 50
    Samsung 830 128GB = 77

is the 830 worth 27 more than the Kingston v200?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...d=372431221998

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-128G...4296702&sr=8-1

36. Post #4916
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,963 Posts
    I want to update my graphics card due to the proposed release of several new games (Most namely Rome II: Total War) and I was wondering where it is best to go from my current card.

Right now I am using an AMD Radeon HD 6870 card, which is apparently pretty good. But I fear by next year it will be obsolete. What is a card that isn't too expensive that I can upgrade too?

37. Post #4917
    January 2012
    263 Posts
    I want to update my graphics card due to the proposed release of several new games (Most namely Rome II: Total War) and I was wondering where it is best to go from my current card.

Right now I am using an AMD Radeon HD 6870 card, which is apparently pretty good. But I fear by next year it will be obsolete. What is a card that isn't too expensive that I can upgrade too?

7850/7870

38. Post #4918
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts

If it's just for Rome, then don't upgrade. Do it closer to its release, your card might (probably) will be able to run it at max at 1080p.
    Also, nearer its release date there will be lower costs for the same performance.

39. Post #4919
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,214 Posts
    Kingston 128GB V200 SSD vs Samsung 830 128GB

Kingston 128GB V200 = 50
    Samsung 830 128GB = 77

is the 830 worth 27 more than the Kingston v200?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...d=372431221998

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-128G...4296702&sr=8-1
    Yes

40. Post #4920
    April 2010
    1,768 Posts
    So I doing a little bit of an upgrade / replacement in my PC.

I am going to be doing crossfire 6870's and possibly an i7 in the future.

I am changing my PSU to this. (Is this a good PSU and suitable for crossfire 6870's?)

I am also changing my ram to this. (Is this good quality / value?)

Also, I was just wondering. Is there any difference between SATA connections on different PSU's? Or is there just a standard and SATA means SATA? Because I saw some specify "5 pin SATA" or something. Do I need to worry about getting the right SATA power connectors? Or do I not need to worry?