1. Post #3721
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,418 Posts
    Why does Windows randomly decide to break my icons?

I know how to fix it, but what causes it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #3722
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,525 Posts
    Is it still possible for me to get my original 1155 socket mobo replaced due to the sata problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3723
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    5,945 Posts
    I previously asked about what to do with this computer as it's framerates are dropping insanely if I play for too long in games such as Battlefield 3, even on medium settings, and I want to upgrade it in hopes that it'll fix that issue, I am assuming my graphics card heats up too much while playing Battlefield 3 for a bit, now, my specs are not that terrible and I have no idea what I should be upgrading in order to fix these framerate drops, I want to be sure that I am upgrading what is needed to be upgraded so I won't just throw money and then end up getting the same issue again, this is my current specs, I used a system profiler to get them:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    System RAM: 3327 MB
    CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
    CPU Speeds: 2333
    Physical CPUs: 1
    Virtual CPUs: 4
    Video Card Description: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    VRAM: 1024 MB
    Primary Display Resolution: 1920x1080
    Multi-Monitor Desktop Resolution: 1920x1080
    Free Hard Drive Space: 207494 MB
    Total Hard Drive Space: 249901 MB
    Windows Experience Index Rating: 5.9

Now, recently I had formatted the computer in hopes that it might fix things a bit, but now I am back to square one, what do I need to do to make this computer work smoothly in modern games, because while playing modern games after a few minutes when the framerates drop, I start hearing the video card virring like crazy.

I really want to fix this issue, I want to play my games without having to deal with such a problem, tell me what to do about this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #3724
    July 2008
    3,755 Posts
    Is there a program that lets me sync files purely on a lan? Kind of like Dropbox but without uploading files.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #3725
    That Dog
    March 2009
    13,775 Posts
    In a multimonitor setup, is it possible to have 2 60Hz monitors and 1 120Hz?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #3726
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,472 Posts
    Is there a program that lets me sync files purely on a lan? Kind of like Dropbox but without uploading files.
    Windows 7 have Sync Center. Can be a bit clunky to setup though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #3727
    The best headhumper of the galaxy.
    January 2012
    2,936 Posts
    FIXED!

8. Post #3728
    July 2008
    3,755 Posts
    Windows 7 have Sync Center. Can be a bit clunky to setup though
    I was thinking along the lines of Dropbox with a webpage. Only thing that I found so far is Lanshark.

9. Post #3729
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,142 Posts
    My monitor is a TEAC AMOI-LCD TV anyway, I found that the default setting was widescreen so I set it to 4:3 on HDMI, now it looks like a square but I want to expand it to the other corners if it is possible.

http://puu.sh/CMz8

My camera isn't the best, sorry but I want to fill up the huge black space

any ideas?

Edited:

also the resolution is like 1280x960, it won't go any higher without it having a seizure but I need to fill the space

10. Post #3730
    I'm a bit like this.
    June 2012
    2,212 Posts
    My monitor is a TEAC AMOI-LCD TV anyway, I found that the default setting was widescreen so I set it to 4:3 on HDMI, now it looks like a square but I want to expand it to the other corners if it is possible.

http://puu.sh/CMz8

My camera isn't the best, sorry but I want to fill up the huge black space

any ideas?

Edited:

also the resolution is like 1280x960, it won't go any higher without it having a seizure but I need to fill the space
    Is there some sort of auto adjust on the TV? If so, do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #3731
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,142 Posts
    I've checked everywhere but there doesn't appear to be any, there is an area where it says VGA settings but I'm using HDMI and it is blurred out because of that.

12. Post #3732
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    Thinking of making some changes to my PC.

I'm probably going to replace the cooler with this to lower noise. It'll look better than the Venom too.
    Case-wise I plan to buy either a Define R3 or Corsair 550D or Antec P183.
    That leads me to my actual question - what case would you guys recommend?
    Oh, and what color braided cables should I buy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #3733
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    Im building a new PC soon and I plan to use my current HDD as a storage HDD, if I reinstall windows on a small SSD does it have to be windows ultimate like my current HDD or can it be home premium?

14. Post #3734
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,610 Posts
    Im building a new PC soon and I plan to use my current HDD as a storage HDD, if I reinstall windows on a small SSD does it have to be windows ultimate like my current HDD or can it be home premium?
    why install home premium when you have ultimate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #3735
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,169 Posts
    What graphics card should I get to replace my dying 460 gtx? I would like it to play most modern games on medium/high at 1920x1080. Also my budget is $270.
    Current Specs:

COOLER MASTER 650watt PSU
    MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
    GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 768MB
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

16. Post #3736
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,069 Posts
    looking into buying a soundcard, narrowed it down to 3

which one of these is best?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829271007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102033

my main focus is music listening

Edited:

ok i just found the creative for 130 on tiger direct, so if its just as good as the others ill get that

17. Post #3737
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,437 Posts
    Is it normal for my PC to make different noises from inside the case depending on certain actions I do.

For example I'm playing Freedom Fighters the PC starts making this low buzzing/hissing/whirring or whatever noise and the noise changes depending on where I mouse my mouse. So moving my mouse would cause the noise to go a tad louder, change in pitch and so on.
    It happens on other applications as well, though never when I'm at the desktop browsing the net and such.

What makes this noise, I keep thinking it's the processor but I'm not sure. Can someone explain what it is and why it happens? Thanks.

18. Post #3738
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    Is it normal for my PC to make different noises from inside the case depending on certain actions I do.

For example I'm playing Freedom Fighters the PC starts making this low buzzing/hissing/whirring or whatever noise and the noise changes depending on where I mouse my mouse. So moving my mouse would cause the noise to go a tad louder, change in pitch and so on.
    It happens on other applications as well, though never when I'm at the desktop browsing the net and such.

What makes this noise, I keep thinking it's the processor but I'm not sure. Can someone explain what it is and why it happens? Thanks.
    It isn't the processor, I promise you that. May be the heat sink, but mouse position sounds VERY strange. Maybe open up your case and listen to where it's coming from? Could be a cable getting clipped by a fan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #3739
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    why install home premium when you have ultimate
    Ultimate came pre installed on my hard drive when my uncle gave it to me and he no longer has the CD or CD key but I have home premium and the key.

20. Post #3740
    October 2009
    1,865 Posts
    Okay, so I'm getting a new laptop this summer. My budget is approximately 1600 dollars, slightly more or less is fine. I live in Canada. Anybody have any general tips or specific suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #3741
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,437 Posts
    It isn't the processor, I promise you that. May be the heat sink, but mouse position sounds VERY strange. Maybe open up your case and listen to where it's coming from? Could be a cable getting clipped by a fan.
    It's defo not a cable hitting a fan. Doesn't make nearly a loud enough noise for that. It's hard to explain. It changes the noise depending on what I do. For example, clicking and holding would make it turn into a lower/slow sound. Then unclicking would resume it to a more faster sound.
    The noise sounds as though it depends on the application running. As I said before, doing something in the desktop does nothing. But say BF3 is running I start getting it, but added to that. Alt+tabbing out of BF3 would make the sound stop as well.

Could it be a application related thing?

22. Post #3742
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    It's defo not a cable hitting a fan. Doesn't make nearly a loud enough noise for that. It's hard to explain. It changes the noise depending on what I do. For example, clicking and holding would make it turn into a lower/slow sound. Then unclicking would resume it to a more faster sound.
    The noise sounds as though it depends on the application running. As I said before, doing something in the desktop does nothing. But say BF3 is running I start getting it, but added to that. Alt+tabbing out of BF3 would make the sound stop as well.

Could it be a application related thing?
    No. That sounds exactly like a fan issue as it speeds up under load.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #3743
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,563 Posts

How do I remap those weird keys on the top?
    Specifically, I'd like to make the "Word" and "Excel" buttons change the current iTunes track.

SharpKeys doesn't detect them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #3744
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,359 Posts
    I want a usb 3.0 header adapter that turns it 90 degrees. Is there such a thing?

25. Post #3745
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,558 Posts
    Ultimate came pre installed on my hard drive when my uncle gave it to me and he no longer has the CD or CD key but I have home premium and the key.
    I'm almost certain the CD key is displayed in Computer Properties
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #3746
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,069 Posts
    I want a usb 3.0 header adapter that turns it 90 degrees. Is there such a thing?
    i would like to know this as well

27. Post #3747
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,468 Posts
    What graphics card should I get to replace my dying 460 gtx? I would like it to play most modern games on medium/high at 1920x1080. Also my budget is $270.
    Current Specs:

COOLER MASTER 650watt PSU
    MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
    GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 768MB
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Radeon hd 7850 or gtx 560 ti 448/gtx 570 depending on prices
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #3748
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,359 Posts
    i would like to know this as well
    The connector is so obstructive, and doesn't bend. I wanna try to hide it some more.

29. Post #3749
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,142 Posts
    okay another question if nobody can help me with my other issue

my g110 keyboard has media controls, they won't work with windows 7 but they'll work with linux, I've tried unistalling drivers but I suspect something isn't bounded

any ideas?

30. Post #3750
    October 2007
    70 Posts
    I bought a couple OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD for 80 each but later I found out that their fail rates are very high.
    Is it worth keeping and/or selling, or just return it?

31. Post #3751
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    I'm almost certain the CD key is displayed in Computer Properties
    Says its an OEM key.

32. Post #3752
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,895 Posts
    Says its an OEM key.
    yeah computer properties doesn't tell you shit. use Jellybean Key Finder

edit: "Magical Jelly Bean" it's called, stupid name I know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #3753
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    I bought a couple OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD for 80 each but later I found out that their fail rates are very high.
    I haven't had any problems with mine, if that counts for anything. Had it since January and SSDLife says it's going to last until 2020.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #3754
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    Can someone just tell me if I can have windows 7 ultimate and premium?

35. Post #3755
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,895 Posts
    yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 1Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #3756
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,069 Posts
    i have one too, its fine

37. Post #3757
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,558 Posts
    Can someone just tell me if I can have windows 7 ultimate and premium?
    If it's acting as storage the OS installed on that drive makes no difference, yes it will be fine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #3758

May 2006
    9,040 Posts
    Trying to connect three monitors up to my CF 5850s. Two of them are 1680x1050 monitors via DVI-D, one of them is a 1080p HDTV via HDMI.

I can't extend desktop to all three monitors, at least one has to be disabled for some reason.

Ideas? (I'd post this in Technical Support but I haven't had one question successfully answered by that shitty sub-forum).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #3759
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,610 Posts
    Programs exist to pull your key out of your system.

As for the CD, I've got a master ISO you could use.

Edited:

also does anyone know how to force TeamViewer to not remove your wallpaper when someone else is connected?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #3760
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    I've had a 60GB Vertex 2 since September 2010. Works fine. Just remember to update the firmware in them!