1. Post #3801
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,213 Posts
    It'd be a big fat upgrade for you, and probably better to do that now and the GPU when the 660 comes out, as your Q6600 will start fading fast in game performance in the near future, as games use more and more threads more effectively. I don't know exactly what performance increase you would get, but it would definitely be not insignificant. What resolution are you at?
    I'm playing at 1920x1080, although I sometimes play (BF3 and other games) in windowed mode, and while BF3's window is resizeable, I usually have the resolution at 1600x900.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

2. Post #3802
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,624 Posts
    would my GPU make putting this sound card

in this PCI slot a problem?

the card kind of bends down a little at the end and I'm wondering if the two cards making contact would be bad for them.
    Kinda late, but I have a setup just like this.
    No, it doesn't mess with the airflow much at all, just get some rubber spacers to put in between the cards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3803
    April 2012
    359 Posts
    I'd just get an android phone, lugging two devices around would probably get a little tiresome.
    What sort of phone would I be going for that are good for web browsing, Steam, Skype and as cheap monthly as possible? (I don't think upfront cost will be much of an issue)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #3804
    June 2012
    549 Posts
    Does something like Textmate exist for Windows?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

5. Post #3805
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,624 Posts
    Does something like Textmate exist for Windows?
    Sublime Text 2 is pretty nice, check that out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #3806
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,213 Posts
    Alright, I'm going to get the 3570k and other things I mentioned earlier.
    I have a problem deciding which motherboard I should buy. ASRock Extreme4 looks good but it's quite pricey for my budget.
    Should I go for it?

Edited:

Though I'm not sure if I'll be needing SLI so something like Pro4 or Pro3 would be great.

Edited:

Then there are also some boards by Asus. Are they good?

Edited:

I just found Extreme4-M which would be perfect, but I need two PCI ports because I have a Wi-Fi adapter and a soundcard, both using PCI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

7. Post #3807
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,359 Posts
    Alright, I'm going to get the 3570k and other things I mentioned earlier.
    I have a problem deciding which motherboard I should buy. ASRock Extreme4 looks good but it's quite pricey for my budget.
    Should I go for it?

Edited:

Though I'm not sure if I'll be needing SLI so something like Pro4 or Pro3 would be great.

Edited:

Then there are also some boards by Asus. Are they good?

Edited:

I just found Extreme4-M which would be perfect, but I need two PCI ports because I have a Wi-Fi adapter and a soundcard, both using PCI.
    Then get this for sli:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157297
    Or this for not:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157293
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130646

All are decent boards, the first one is for sli, the others aren't. You probably won't find a better motherboard cheaper than $100.

Also, I have the extreme4m + 3570k and it works great. Oc'd to 4.6 at about 28c idle.

8. Post #3808
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,080 Posts
    This is driving me crazy. I found the drivers for my Gateway FHX2300 monitor from this site:
    http://support.gateway.com/support/d...&uid=346346355
    and it doesn't come with some sort of an installation application or whatever you call it.

The zip file has these contents:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

9. Post #3809
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,423 Posts
    I bought an XBOX 360 Controller for my PC and received it today. I installed the Drivers and plugged it in and got a Blue Screen immediately. I've tried un-installing the drivers and installing ones from the Microsoft website and it still won't work giving me the Blue Screen each time. I've got the software off the disk installed now and when it does not give me a blue screen the software fails to receive connection from the controller. What could I do? Google doesn't help one bit.

I suspect it could be other software causing the problem? When I plug in the controller it installs something called "motionjoy virtual xinput device". I just have no idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #3810
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,359 Posts
    This is driving me crazy. I found the drivers for my Gateway FHX2300 monitor from this site:
    http://support.gateway.com/support/d...&uid=346346355
    and it doesn't come with some sort of an installation application or whatever you call it.

The zip file has these contents:
    Go to device manager, find the monitor, right click, update driver and navigate to that folder. It will install it for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #3811
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,080 Posts
    Which files should I have in that folder?

12. Post #3812
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,359 Posts
    Which files should I have in that folder?
    Just choose the folder that those are in, it will find it and install it for you.

13. Post #3813
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    If your monitor is displaying fine don't install any drivers. They usually mess stuff up in my experience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

14. Post #3814
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,080 Posts
    I got it to install by having windows automatically search for drivers but before I did that, it said there was no better match for what I already had installed when I navigated to the desktop where I unzipped everything.

Edited:

If your monitor is displaying fine don't install any drivers. They usually mess stuff up in my experience.
    My resolution is 1280x1024 but my monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080. I might be wrong, but will installing the proper drivers help?

15. Post #3815
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,624 Posts
    DE:HR makes my card artifact and crash at random times, but i'm almost certain it's not the card, because any other DX11 game runs perfectly fine with no problems, anyone know a possible cause here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #3816

April 2011
    4,553 Posts
    DE:HR makes my card artifact and crash at random times, but i'm almost certain it's not the card, because any other DX11 game runs perfectly fine with no problems, anyone know a possible cause here?
    Bad drivers?

17. Post #3817
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,547 Posts
    I bought an XBOX 360 Controller for my PC and received it today. I installed the Drivers and plugged it in and got a Blue Screen immediately. I've tried un-installing the drivers and installing ones from the Microsoft website and it still won't work giving me the Blue Screen each time. I've got the software off the disk installed now and when it does not give me a blue screen the software fails to receive connection from the controller. What could I do? Google doesn't help one bit.

I suspect it could be other software causing the problem? When I plug in the controller it installs something called "motionjoy virtual xinput device". I just have no idea.
    You must have installed the motioninjoy program which allows you to use playstation controllers with windows, at some point. idk why it bluescreens though.

18. Post #3818
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,423 Posts
    You must have installed the motioninjoy program which allows you to use playstation controllers with windows, at some point. idk why it bluescreens though.
    I've tried uninstalling all motion joy software and it still won't work. Pretty disappointing. Oh well!

19. Post #3819
    May 2011
    1,271 Posts
    Kinda late, but I have a setup just like this.
    No, it doesn't mess with the airflow much at all, just get some rubber spacers to put in between the cards.
    I'd rather not risk it anyways. Just going to get this card instead and use the PCI express slot.

http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-DGX-PCI-...dp/B007TMZ1BK/

20. Post #3820

May 2012
    180 Posts
    Best email client?

To use, gmail and hotmail?

21. Post #3821
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #3822
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,624 Posts
    Best email client?

To use, gmail and hotmail?
    gmail in conjunction with thunderbird
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #3823
    May 2007
    296 Posts
    I have an old WD HDD that I managed to fry the PCB of and was wondering if there would be anyway to retrieve the data off said drive. I have a newer version of the same drive that I used to swap circuit boards with but after it had spun up, it just made some consistent clicking sounds...

24. Post #3824
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,423 Posts
    If anyone is interested I did manage to get my XBOX 360 controller working on my PC. I was right believing that it downloading Motion Joy software was incorrect. I went through the controllers properties and changed the drivers it was using from Motion Joy to another one (which was a guess).. The controller works like a charm now. It's a shame I couldn't find any answers online but I am pretty pleased I figured it out by myself even though it was fairy simple. Why it was giving my a blue screen I have no idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #3825
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,069 Posts
    i got new fans today, realized when you crank up the rpm from my case's (corsair 650d) fan controller, the leds get brighter.

i like the lights bright, but not at the expense of hearing a lot of noise. Any way around this? Plug fans into mother board? buy seperate fan controller? (i was planning on doing that anyway...i dunno now though

26. Post #3826
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,316 Posts
    My resolution is 1280x1024 but my monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080. I might be wrong, but will installing the proper drivers help?
    Update video card drivers, not monitor.

Post speccy or fetch yourself what GPU you have and get drivers for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

27. Post #3827
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    189 Posts
    I am thinking of getting a SSD, but I don't know how easy it is to manage installing everything to my hard disk instead of the SSD. I've read all about it and all I keep getting are 'use symlinks', is it really that complicated to use an SSD as a main boot drive?

Also, what is the best SSD at the moment? I was looking at the intel 520 series, but I don't know if these are top or what.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #3828
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,359 Posts
    I am thinking of getting a SSD, but I don't know how easy it is to manage installing everything to my hard disk instead of the SSD. I've read all about it and all I keep getting are 'use symlinks', is it really that complicated to use an SSD as a main boot drive?

Also, what is the best SSD at the moment? I was looking at the intel 520 series, but I don't know if these are top or what.
    It's really easy, you can change the links of the documents, music, etc folders so they are on your normal hdd. If it's a big program, just change the install directory to the hdd, because it will default to the boot drive.

The intel 530 series or corsair performance pro are two of the best.

29. Post #3829

I use something called dirlinker to move hard-coded stuff from C to a bigger drive.

64GB is the smallest I'd go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

30. Post #3830
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,414 Posts
    Does anyone remember that tool that scans websites before letting people on it? I'm slowly starting to lose my sanity here. My siblings seem to think that adware and spyware speed up the computer or something. I'm on Chrome and Windows 7 if that helps. And, yeah, little icons show that, but still.

31. Post #3831
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,080 Posts
    Update video card drivers, not monitor.

Post speccy or fetch yourself what GPU you have and get drivers for it.
    thought so. The drivers are absolute trash.

32. Post #3832

April 2011
    4,553 Posts
    Does anyone remember that tool that scans websites before letting people on it? I'm slowly starting to lose my sanity here. My siblings seem to think that adware and spyware speed up the computer or something. I'm on Chrome and Windows 7 if that helps. And, yeah, little icons show that, but still.
    Just ban them from using your computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #3833
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    WOT is the one you're looking for, is it not?

34. Post #3834
    I'm a bit like this.
    June 2012
    2,216 Posts
    So, I'm in a conundrum over two cases of the same company.

The Sharkoon T9 and the Tauron. Which one should I get?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #3835
    June 2010
    1,358 Posts
    So basically I recently made some changes to my computer and now im getting random BSODS. Each time the error codes are different, and I have tried googling all of them with no luck.

The recent changes to the computer are:
    replaced HD 4870 X2 with HD 7850
    upgraded from stock CPU cooler to Arctic Cooling freezer 7 pro for i5 750
    rearranged wires etc etc.

Anyone have anyone idea what could be causing the problem?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #3836
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,414 Posts
    Just ban them from using your computer.
    I totally would, but I'm using the family computer. Maybe I just shouldn't be using it at all if it upsets me so much, but I'd kind of like to play video games without worrying about keyloggers, you know?

37. Post #3837
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    It's really easy, you can change the links of the documents, music, etc folders so they are on your normal hdd. If it's a big program, just change the install directory to the hdd, because it will default to the boot drive.

The intel 530 series or corsair performance pro are two of the best.
    The Samsung 830 is one of the best right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #3838

April 2011
    4,553 Posts
    I totally would, but I'm using the family computer. Maybe I just shouldn't be using it at all if it upsets me so much, but I'd kind of like to play video games without worrying about keyloggers, you know?
    So don't use the computer then?

Edited:

Because you can't fix people who insist on sticking viruses on every machine that they touch.

39. Post #3839
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,462 Posts
    Anyone here using the Logitech Z906 5.1 setup? If so, how is it? I'm thinking about getting a surround setup.

40. Post #3840
    June 2010
    1,358 Posts
    Basically my internet randomly stopped working on my Desktop, while it still works on my laptop and my brother's computer. I don't think it's a software problem, as it has stopped functioning on both of my HDD partitions (both win 7) I don't think its the ethernet port as I have tried a USB network cable and get the same result. Also, when I plug in the USB cable instead of making the normal hardware detected noise (two different tones) it plays three of the same tones. Anyone have any advice?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events