1. Post #2281
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,691 Posts
    I'd recommend CakePHP, it's very RoR-like and just nice to work with in general.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2282
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    788 Posts
    Except i want to use PHP.
    Doesn't matter, someone will suggest RoR anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #2283
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,196 Posts
    It's pretty silly to use any sort of live framework for a personal blog. Use jekyll. Don't try to force the same tools into every job, if you can't adapt and expand, you're as good as dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Portugal Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #2284
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    I think it's not exactly what i want. I want to create a fairly simple CMS to use not only in my personal site and in simple projects for me or my future non-existence clients, basically i want them to manage the content without any sort of help from me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2285
    December 2007
    653 Posts
    I have the worst time with SEO, its probably the most obscure and mysterious things related to web development.

Everyone will say "go social" "keyword meta tags don't do anything" "backlinks" "page rank is important" "don't waste your time, just spend money on advertising"

The problem with social networking sites is if you don't have constantly updating content, your users are going to be exposed to dead pointless facebook pages and twitter accounts.

and if your content is something obscure and uncommon it can get confused with other things. But its still something that needs to be found.

Is there anywhere on the internet a massive checklist of things you need to do to gain some relevancy on Google?
    Is this a question that does deserve its own thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #2286
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    A while back i would answer your question but now i don't know, Google is changing SEO "rules" every time you finish reading a good book about SEO.
    Now i just put my shit up, don't use to much ads and backlinks, and use internal links, social stuff, sitemap, keywords, don't buy traffic/links and hope for the best. One thing is for sure, too much of something is bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events

7. Post #2287
    October 2011
    51 Posts
    Yii?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

8. Post #2288
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    I hate the fact that every time I come up with a good idea, it's already taken and been done very well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #2289
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    Nope, people love cake, that's why cakephp is better. CAKE!

10. Post #2290

June 2011
    206 Posts
    Ok, difficult question: how can i create a div within the innerHTML() of another div, then later on change the innerHTML() of the new div i created dynamically?
    As in, something like this:

Code:
       <body><div id="test"></div>
       <script type="text/javascript">
        var x = document.getElementById("test");
        var html = "";
        html = "<div id='gm_div'></div> ";
        x.innerHTML = html;
        var y = document.getElementById("gm_div");
        y.innerHTML = "<center>NEW HTML</center";
       </script>
       </body>
    that, but imagine i was changing the innerHTML() in another js function. Thanks for the help, I really need to know this so i can finish up my web page.

11. Post #2291
    October 2011
    54 Posts
    This will probably sound really stupid, but how do you PERFECTLY align text exactly how you want it using CSS? I'm trying to align a header so it looks like my logo but I'm having trouble getting it exactly how i want it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #2292

June 2011
    206 Posts
    This will probably sound really stupid, but how do you PERFECTLY align text exactly how you want it using CSS? I'm trying to align a header so it looks like my logo but I'm having trouble getting it exactly how i want it.
    margin-left:, margin-top:, margin-bottom, margin-right. usage: (margin-left: 12px;)

13. Post #2293
    Upload Images
    April 2011
    732 Posts
    Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting this to work properly.

class masterlist {
    		var $host;
    		var $port;
    		var $command;
    		var $timeout;
    		var $socket;
    		var $data;
    		var $output = array();

private function reading() {
    			$meta = stream_get_meta_data($this->socket);
    			return ($meta['unread_bytes'] > 0);
    		}

public	function __construct($host,$port,$command = "",$timeout = 2,$socket = "",$output = "") {
    			$this->host = $host;
    			$this->port = $port;
    			$this->command = $command;
    			$this->socket = "";
    			$this->output = "";
    			$this->timeout = $timeout;
    		}

public function connect() {
    			if(empty($this->host) || empty($this->port) || empty($this->command)) die("Failed to alocate Host / Port / Command Query");
    			if(!$this->socket = @fsockopen("udp://".$this->host, $this->port, $errno, $errstr, $this->timeout)) {
    				die("Failed to connect to socket via: ".$this->host.":".$this->port);
    			} else {
    				stream_set_timeout($this->socket, $this->timeout);

if($this->socket == "false") die("Socket connection failed.");
    				if(false == fwrite($this->socket, $this->command)) die("Error writing to socket");

$retrieve = fread($this->socket, 4);

$response = '';
    				while($this->reading()) {
    					$response .= fread($this->socket, 1);
    				}

fclose($this->socket);

return $response;
    			}
    		}

}

$servers = new masterlist("hl2master.steampowered.com",27011,"\x31\x03\x30\x2e\x30\x2e\x30\x2e\x30\x3a\x30\x00\\type\\d\\secure\\1\\gamedir\\garrysmod\0");
    	$servers = $servers->connect();
    	var_dump($servers);

it returns
    Code:
    string 'f
    J[tiJ[t*iJ[tiJ[tiJ[tiEiByiF*Ji^VYiWbCi^VYi^VYi^VYiWbCi%;*Qi[yk[y*i[y*i[ylX$i[ykl[藒i%i窱iMoiFiյiMciMciMDYi^i^iY 4iV:iV:iY iiiimi\Ui\Ui\Uim{|i\Ui\ 1i^�iװ:eqWViVi&|iОiii ihiTiiiTi%; iii UmP_ӨP_Ө`Um`_Ө@MoiMo^iMoɘiMoiMoiMo-iMoiMo*iMo`iMoi^~iTiTiXƖi	fi?4iN/<e'... (length=884)
    I'm trying to transform it into standard steam server ip & port form, for e.g. 123.123.123.123:27015
    Sorry to bump it up, just can't find an answer. Does anyone know what's wrong with this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

14. Post #2294
    September 2011
    253 Posts
    -snip, can't read-

15. Post #2295
    Upload Images
    April 2011
    732 Posts
    I'm not sure if anything's wrong with it, It just returns the data in some kinda of hex format.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

16. Post #2296
    September 2011
    253 Posts
    You need to create getter methods for host and port or create a method which returns them in the format you want. For example:

//this would go in your class
    public function ipport() {
      return($this->host . ":" . $this->port);
    }

I don't think var_dump works on instances of classes.

17. Post #2297
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,211 Posts
    connect() returns a string, and he's doing a var_dump on that.

Try reading more than 1 byte at a time and echoing it out while it's still running, instead of at the end.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

18. Post #2298
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,253 Posts
    I have the worst time with SEO, its probably the most obscure and mysterious things related to web development.

Everyone will say "go social" "keyword meta tags don't do anything" "backlinks" "page rank is important" "don't waste your time, just spend money on advertising"

The problem with social networking sites is if you don't have constantly updating content, your users are going to be exposed to dead pointless facebook pages and twitter accounts.

and if your content is something obscure and uncommon it can get confused with other things. But its still something that needs to be found.

Is there anywhere on the internet a massive checklist of things you need to do to gain some relevancy on Google?
    Is this a question that does deserve its own thread?
    Good quality backlinks with quality content on your site will give you the best chance of getting anywhere. People also suggest using the keyword you're trying to rank for on the page a few times, but don't go keyword stuffing. There's tons of other factors that play a part but I believe backlinks are the largest.

19. Post #2299
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,426 Posts
    Need some help here :)

I have 4 boxes created with a div, they all have display: inline-block; and they are listed with a line break between them in the HTML document. The parent div have letter-spaceing: 5px;.
    The problem is that the space between the boxes is a little more than 5px. Does the line break add more than a "letter space"? And how to fix it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

20. Post #2300
    October 2011
    2,125 Posts
    use http://jsfiddle.net/ please.

21. Post #2301

22. Post #2302
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    Need some help here :)

I have 4 boxes created with a div, they all have display: inline-block; and they are listed with a line break between them in the HTML document. The parent div have letter-spaceing: 5px;.
    The problem is that the space between the boxes is a little more than 5px. Does the line break add more than a "letter space"? And how to fix it?
    Fighting the Space Between Inline Block Elements

Edited:

I think you can guess by that link that display:inline-block; is the problem and is adding more space between elements.

23. Post #2303
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,426 Posts
    Ya, I'v tried some tricks like that. However. I want the spacing, but I want it to be what I set it as, not more. Anyways, as the article said, I can just float em.

edited: Is it another way than creating a new id for the last box to remove the margin-right?

edit2: Is it possible to justify divs like you can do with text?

24. Post #2304
    October 2011
    54 Posts
    Ok so someone PLEASE help me with this, I don't think it should be too hard.

Basically, how do I get that nav bar to go all the way across the web page?

Thanks!

25. Post #2305
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,426 Posts
    Ok so someone PLEASE help me with this, I don't think it should be too hard.

Basically, how do I get that nav bar to go all the way across the web page?

Thanks!
    try
    width: 100%;

26. Post #2306
    October 2011
    54 Posts
    Woah, Now this has happened

Also I removed the margin and padding, but theres still that tiny gap at the sides.

Thanks for your help

EDIT:

Ok so the width in my 'ul#list' is 100% and the width in my 'ul#list li a' is 25%. I managed to get this...

27. Post #2307
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    http://jsfiddle.net/6J3pK/2/

Study some pseudo-classes they are useful some times

28. Post #2308
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,426 Posts
    Woah, Now this has happened

Also I removed the margin and padding, but theres still that tiny gap at the sides.

Thanks for your help

EDIT:

Ok so the width in my 'ul#list' is 100% and the width in my 'ul#list li a' is 25%. I managed to get this...

ohh.. ur doing it like that.
    Make a div with the background and bottom border, then make those links inside that div :)

29. Post #2309
    October 2007
    1,574 Posts
    Hello, is there any sort of Web Developing Tools, that can be accessed via browser plus it has ftp+storage?

So you can upload to remote server via online storage+online ftp tool and edit files (like html, php) at will?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

30. Post #2310
    September 2011
    253 Posts
    Hello, is there any sort of Web Developing Tools, that can be accessed via browser plus it has ftp+storage?

So you can upload to remote server via online storage+online ftp tool and edit files (like html, php) at will?
    Most shared hosting comes with tools like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #2311
    October 2007
    437 Posts
    How many times can you put an array inside of an array in PHP?
    Because I'd love to see 100 arrays inception style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

32. Post #2312
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    How many times can you put an array inside of an array in PHP?
    Because I'd love to see 100 arrays inception style.
    -snip wrong-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

33. Post #2313
    October 2007
    437 Posts
    Answering my own question, turns out PHP will only handle 3 arrays in each other at most.
    After 3, they return null and var_dump() just shows 4 arrays with the fourth one having a value of "...". Not trusting var_dump(), I wrote a loop to go through the arrays and it only showed 3.

Edited:

And I'm sure that any amount beyond 10 would have smokey the bear making an example out of you and saying something about "Only you can prevent logic fires."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #2314
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    Answering my own question, turns out PHP will only handle 3 arrays in each other at most.
    After 3, they return null and var_dump() just shows 4 arrays with the fourth one having a value of "...". Not trusting var_dump(), I wrote a loop to go through the arrays and it only showed 3.

Edited:

And I'm sure that any amount beyond 10 would have smokey the bear making an example out of you and saying something about "Only you can prevent logic fires."
    What?
    As far as I am aware, PHP does not limit the number / composition of arrays in any way (and doing so would be quite silly). Of course, you are still limited by the amount of memory that is actually available on the system.

35. Post #2315
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,691 Posts
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not limited, or if it is, it's limited by a huge number.
    I just tried array inside an array times 12 and it works perfectly fine.

36. Post #2316
    Web developer
    May 2008
    2,707 Posts

Edited:

I would recommend using print_r instead of var_dump for multidimensional arrays. print_r handles them much better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

37. Post #2317
    June 2012
    549 Posts
    If I just want to put up a simple site using something like WordPress, would it be worth it to get my own VPS? I get a feeling that it perhaps will be useful in the future anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

38. Post #2318
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    If I just want to put up a simple site using something like WordPress, would it be worth it to get my own VPS? I get a feeling that it perhaps will be useful in the future anyway.
    If you want to spend a bunch of money just for fun. If you just a simple site that uses almost anything in resources go to a shared, if need bigger resources and you're getting a lot of visitors (a lot a lot) then yes.

39. Post #2319
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,080 Posts
    Ok so, I need to make an admin panel for a project I'm working on. Since I can't design for shit, I was planning on going with twitter's bootstrap. Anyone wanna try and talk me out of it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #2320
    October 2007
    437 Posts
    Ok so, I need to make an admin panel for a project I'm working on. Since I can't design for shit, I was planning on going with twitter's bootstrap. Anyone wanna try and talk me out of it?
    Bootstrap isn't very liquid in terms of design and it is very recognizable.