1. Post #1601
    September 2011
    251 Posts
    WTMP?

Edited:

Is there any WAMP variant that uses Tomcat instead of apache?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #1602
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts

~serious~ companies also use stuff like jenkins or hudson http://jenkins-ci.org/
    aren't jenkins and hudson CI servers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1603
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,942 Posts
    aren't jenkins and hudson CI servers
    yeah, I'm pretty sure a part of CI is deploying too (correct me if I'm wrong)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

4. Post #1604
    Yeah but you don't use CI just to deploy, and you don't always use your CI server to deploy. I don't like the idea of letting CI deploy to production, personally.

Edited:

https://github.com/capistrano/capistrano
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

5. Post #1605
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    867 Posts
    You know where forums have http://forum.com/threads/ID/ID, how does that work without using a GET request?

Like a webpage can use http://google.com/search without using a directory listing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #1606
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,194 Posts
    You know where forums have http://forum.com/threads/ID/ID, how does that work without using a GET request?

Like a webpage can use http://google.com/search without using a directory listing.

I'm assuming PHP - you'll need to do this with rewrite rules on your web server. Here's a simple example if you're using Apache:

The .htaccess files points everything to the index.php script (the entry point):
    https://github.com/codeguy/Slim/blob/master/.htaccess

The router maps the actual request to resources on the application:
    https://github.com/codeguy/Slim/blob...lim/Router.php

What's basically happening is the router reads from $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] (which contains the full address the user request) and figures out what to do with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Portugal Show Events

7. Post #1607
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,348 Posts
    Is there an addon for Firefox that lets you run websites as if you're running different version of Firefox or Internet Explorer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Curacao Show Events

8. Post #1608
    September 2011
    251 Posts
    Is there an addon for Firefox that lets you run websites as if you're running different version of Firefox or Internet Explorer?
    Search for user agent switcher or something like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #1609
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,348 Posts
    Search for user agent switcher or something like that.
    Wouldn't that just change what it's identified as? This is going to be used for testing, so I want it to actually run the website as IE, or as Firefox 3.5 etc..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Curacao Show Events

10. Post #1610
    September 2011
    251 Posts
    Wouldn't that just change what it's identified as? This is going to be used for testing, so I want it to actually run the website as IE, or as Firefox 3.5 etc..
    Oh right you mean like that. Well there's this thing for IE that you can use - http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #1611
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,154 Posts
    Is there any WAMP variant that uses Tomcat instead of apache?
    I just installed XAMPP and then got their Tomcat "plugin" (I can't think of what it actually is). Best of both worlds it seems. Quite easy to set up too.

12. Post #1612
    FZE
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,180 Posts
    Is there any reason to build a mobile version of my website under a separate URL (for example, m.website.com) that my main site (www.website.com) redirects to instead of having a device-detecting script on my main site serve up a different style sheet for mobile browsers?

The consensus I seem to have found while researching search engine optimization is that you’re better off having your one website (www.website.com) provide a different style sheet optimized for smartphones instead of sending smartphones to m.website.com to avoid duplicate content and splitting your results. One video, however, released by Google, advocates the multiple URL approach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY9h3G8Lv4k

His justifications seem irrelevant to my purposes, but if there’s a good reason to use multiple URLs instead of multiple style sheets, it greatly behooves me to hear it.

Thanks for your help in advance. Also website.com is not my website, but FP URLs it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

13. Post #1613
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    469 Posts
    is it allowed to sell hosting for users here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

14. Post #1614
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,205 Posts
    Other people do, so I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #1615
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    867 Posts

Not when you remove copyright/watermarks.
    It should be "Web design by Sebastian Rosenkvist"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

16. Post #1616
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    469 Posts

Not when you remove copyright/watermarks.
    It should be "Web design by Sebastian Rosenkvist"
    thats not the site im gonna use for it

but if he dont want people to remove watermarks why did he add it to the config in wordpress?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

17. Post #1617
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,367 Posts
    Is there any reason to build a mobile version of my website under a separate URL (for example, m.website.com) that my main site (www.website.com) redirects to instead of having a device-detecting script on my main site serve up a different style sheet for mobile browsers?

The consensus I seem to have found while researching search engine optimization is that you’re better off having your one website (www.website.com) provide a different style sheet optimized for smartphones instead of sending smartphones to m.website.com to avoid duplicate content and splitting your results. One video, however, released by Google, advocates the multiple URL approach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY9h3G8Lv4k

His justifications seem irrelevant to my purposes, but if there’s a good reason to use multiple URLs instead of multiple style sheets, it greatly behooves me to hear it.

Thanks for your help in advance. Also website.com is not my website, but FP URLs it.
    I have no experience in that topic, but would't that depends on whether or not you want the mobile site to display everything your full-size site does?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

18. Post #1618
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,137 Posts
    thats not the site im gonna use for it but if he dont want people to remove watermarks why did he add it to the config in wordpress?
    I would not buy hosting from you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #1619
    FZE
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,180 Posts
    I have no experience in that topic, but would't that depends on whether or not you want the mobile site to display everything your full-size site does?
    No, I don't want it to display everything the main site does, and that's the problem I'm hitting right now with my brilliant one-URL-two-stylesheets plan. I need to maintain our main website's search optimization but the documents, and especially the HTML, need to be so different for each version of the site that I don't think this solution's going to work.

I guess what I should instead be asking is, is there a way to keep a second website, m.domain.com, which now looks like my only option, from interfering with www.domain.com's presence on search engines when they contain largely the same content and keywords?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

20. Post #1620
    October 2007
    847 Posts
    Since I know nothing about javascript, can someone be a bro and fix up this script I used to use that is broken because of youtube updates? Thanks for your time guys.

http://pastebin.com/Py1iV6fA

21. Post #1621
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,205 Posts
    Since I know nothing about javascript, can someone be a bro and fix up this script I used to use that is broken because of youtube updates? Thanks for your time guys.

Do you have something like Firebug? And what's the error?

22. Post #1622
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,137 Posts

Your jQuery selectors are off (You need to start your selector with a "#" if it's an ID or a "." if it's a class. Plus you don't have jQuery embedded anywhere in there so the code won't work until you do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

23. Post #1623
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,205 Posts
    Your jQuery selectors are off (You need to start your selector with a "#" if it's an ID or a "." if it's a class. Plus you don't have jQuery embedded anywhere in there so the code won't work until you do.
    He's right, but keep in mind to exclude those prefixes when selecting elements by tag name.

24. Post #1624
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    I've written a PHP script which pulls a random set of data from a database, and I'd like to know how to echo this onto a page with AJAX/Javascript. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

25. Post #1625
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    I've written a PHP script which pulls a random set of data from a database, and I'd like to know how to echo this onto a page with AJAX/Javascript. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    ajax.php

<?php
    header('Content-Type: application/json'); // jQuery will check for this header and decode the json.

echo json_encode(array(
        'hello' => 'world',
        'foo' => 'bar'
    ));

script.js (requires jQuery)

Code:
    $.ajax('ajax.php', function(data){
        alert('Hello ' + data.hello + '!');
    });
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

26. Post #1626
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    ajax.php

<?php
    header('Content-Type: application/json'); // jQuery will check for this header and decode the json.

echo json_encode(array(
        'hello' => 'world',
        'foo' => 'bar'
    ));

script.js (requires jQuery)

Code:
    $.ajax('ajax.php', function(data){
    });
    Sadly, I'm not able to use jQuery (University workshop task) and I'd like to learn how it's coded in pure PHP/Javascript/AJAX.

Thanks for the quick response though.

27. Post #1627
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    Sadly, I'm not able to use jQuery (University workshop task) and I'd like to learn how it's coded in pure PHP/Javascript/AJAX.

Thanks for the quick response though.
    Cross-browser AJAX is a pain in the ass because many browsers implement it differently and you end up having a spaghetti code of try and catches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1628
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Here's a XMLHttpRequest wrapper that works in most browsers: http://www.quirksmode.org/js/xmlhttp.html

In use:

Code:
    var json = (sendRequest('ajax.php', function(req){
        return JSON.parse(req.responseText);
    }))();

29. Post #1629
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    214 Posts
    Cross-browser AJAX is a pain in the ass because many browsers implement it differently and you end up having a spaghetti code of try and catches.
    It's not that bad.

Code:
    // From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMLHttpRequest#Support_in_Internet_Explorer_versions_5.2C_5.5_and_6
    if (typeof XMLHttpRequest == "undefined") {
      XMLHttpRequest = function() {
        try {
          return new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP.6.0");
        } catch (e) {}
        try {
          return new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP.3.0");
        } catch (e) {}
        try {
          return new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
        } catch (e) {}
        //Microsoft.XMLHTTP points to Msxml2.XMLHTTP and is redundant
        throw new Error("This browser does not support XMLHttpRequest.");
      };
    }

var client = new XMLHttpRequest();

client.onreadystatechange = function() {
      if (client.readyState == 4 && client.status == 200) {
        var data = JSON.parse(client.responseText); // Include json2.js from https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-js
      }
    }

client.open('GET', 'ajax.php', true);
    client.send(null);
    Should work in all major browsers (including IE 6), assuming that you've included json2.js (otherwise replace JSON.parse with eval).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

30. Post #1630
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    JSON encode/decode is native in modern browsers but some older ones (ie6, ie7) don't support it. You'll need to include a javascript implementation for it.

https://github.com/douglascrockford/...aster/json2.js

Include it if it doesn't exist:
    Code:
    (function(w,d){
    	w.JSON || d.write('<script src="js/json2.js"><\/script>')
    })(window, document);

31. Post #1631
    August 2010
    112 Posts
    Can I ask questions that are not about the actual programming, but about the layout and stuff here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1632
    Gold Member

April 2009
    726 Posts
    Can I ask questions that are not about the actual programming, but about the layout and stuff here?
    Yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

33. Post #1633
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    I can't really use external libraries, so jQuery is out of the question. Sorry guys.

34. Post #1634
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    Of course.

Edited:

I can't really use external libraries, so jQuery is out of the question. Sorry guys.
    They didn't post jQuery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #1635
    August 2010
    112 Posts
    With all of the knowledge I had, I made this page. As you can see it's pretty simple still, but the microphone fills up a little of the emptiness I think.

Unfortunatly, the other pages are still so empty in my eyes.

Any ideas how to fill a bit of the space left up? Thanks in advance!

(the pictures will be replaced.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

36. Post #1636
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    With all of the knowledge I had, I made this page. As you can see it's pretty simple still, but the microphone fills up a little of the emptiness I think.

Unfortunatly, the other pages are still so empty in my eyes.

Any ideas how to fill a bit of the space left up? Thanks in advance!

(the pictures will be replaced.)
    Make the menu or the content field larger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

37. Post #1637
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    They didn't post jQuery.
    Oh? I thought they used an external library though.

38. Post #1638
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Oh? I thought they used an external library though.
    Nope. Just a few functions is all. Even if one of us posted a library, you could just rewrite your own from the source as example. Think a little bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #1639
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,197 Posts
    Nope. Just a few functions is all. Even if one of us posted a library, you could just rewrite your own from the source as example. Think a little bit.
    You're right. My apologies!

I've figured it out in the mean time. If you want me to I'll share what I did.

40. Post #1640

February 2012
    131 Posts
    You're right. My apologies!

I've figured it out in the mean time. If you want me to I'll share what I did.
    A share would be nice * interested face* :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events