1. Post #241
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,822 Posts
    Asus unlocks the prime bootloader
    [release]
    Regarding the bootloader, the reason we chose to lock it is due to content providers' requirement for DRM client devices to be as secure as possible. ASUS supports Google DRM in order to provide users with a high quality video rental experience. Also, based on our experience, users who choose to root their devices risk breaking the system completely. However, we know there is demand in the modding community to have an unlocked bootloader. Therefore, ASUS is developing an unlock tool for that community. Please do note that if you choose to unlock your device, the ASUS warranty will be void, and Google video rental will also be unavailable because the device will be no longer protected by security mechanism.
    [/release]

Edited:

So how can I know if my device can update to 4.0 and if so how can I update it?
    Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0
    xda-developers

Edited:

Worst case I won't be able to login to my SWTOR account before I spend 40+ dollars to contact customer service..
    Nandroid backup literally backs EVERYTHING
    Messing that thing up is practically impossible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #242
    July 2009
    2,865 Posts
    In other news, Avast Mobile Security is an app that I might actually recommend. Amazing anti-theft security, and it's designed to enable extra features if you have root, like a firewall and password protected to avoid unauthorized changes to settings if your phone gets stolen, scans app permissions and shows you what apps might have security issues based upon permissions, the anti-theft app is renamed by you or by a random app name generator and installed in system to require root to delete, alerts you when you might be on a phishing site, and there's call/text blocking.

Oh, and it's completely free with no need to pay for premium versions. It's also possible with root to make it so that factory resets won't wipe settings and the anti-theft portion of Avast Mobile Security.

This is the first time that I've actually felt a need to download any kind of security app. It's fucking amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

3. Post #243
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,753 Posts
    sweet, that takes away the only con for me ( i dont rent videos anyway)
    now the only thing that needs to happen is amazon getting more in stock
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #244
    July 2009
    2,865 Posts
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01...y-for-android/

Here's another review.

Edited:

Oh, and a mismatched MD5 tag will prevent Nandroids from restoring, although some recoveries might let you force a flash even though the MD5 is wrong.

5. Post #245
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,822 Posts
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01...y-for-android/

Here's another review.

Edited:

Oh, and a mismatched MD5 tag will prevent Nandroids from restoring, although some recoveries might let you force a flash even though the MD5 is wrong.
    Yeah I once got a mismatched MD5 tag
    But that usually happens when you mess up the kernel (At least in my experience), so it's still your fault

Edited:

Trying OneCosmic's ICS port
    Didn't like TeamHacksung's one

Edited:

In other news, Avast Mobile Security is an app that I might actually recommend. Amazing anti-theft security, and it's designed to enable extra features if you have root, like a firewall and password protected to avoid unauthorized changes to settings if your phone gets stolen, scans app permissions and shows you what apps might have security issues based upon permissions, the anti-theft app is renamed by you or by a random app name generator and installed in system to require root to delete, alerts you when you might be on a phishing site, and there's call/text blocking.

Oh, and it's completely free with no need to pay for premium versions. It's also possible with root to make it so that factory resets won't wipe settings and the anti-theft portion of Avast Mobile Security.

This is the first time that I've actually felt a need to download any kind of security app. It's fucking amazing.
    No "APP USES ROOT=> APP IS A VIRUS" stuff like in other so-called "antiviruses"?
    And actually focuses on actual security, rather then finding "viruses"?
    Sounds amazing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events

6. Post #246
    July 2009
    2,865 Posts
    No "APP USES ROOT=> APP IS A VIRUS" stuff like in other so-called "antiviruses"?
    And actually focuses on actual security, rather then finding "viruses"?
    Sounds amazing
    I ran a scan, superuser is not reported as a security threat.

Oh, and lockdown mode is turned on by swapping sim cards or sending a text message to the phone. USB Debugging is also disabled when lockdown is on. Mobile data is also forced to stay on, all phone settings are locked out. You can set it so that only two numbers of your choice can have the commands in text activate certain actions, and the entire security system is locked down by a passcode required to active commands over sms or directly on the phone.

7. Post #247
    Fuck Bitches, Get Scritches
    April 2005
    1,277 Posts
    Thinking of returning my Galaxy Nexus for a new one.

Love the phone, but these intermittent lockups and restarts are very annoying... plus the odd "unresponsive lockscreen" thing is very frustrating.

Are phone retailers usually good at exchanging them?

I'm on ICS 4.0.1... not sure when my carrier is getting the 4.0.3 update, or if that would even solve my issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

8. Post #248
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,104 Posts
    I'm trying to boot my phone into recovery but only adb reboot recovery works. If I use volume down + power it takes me into Odin download mode and I can't do anything. How do I get into CWM recovery from boot?
    That's because it's volume up and home
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #249
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    209 Posts
    Thinking of returning my Galaxy Nexus for a new one.

Love the phone, but these intermittent lockups and restarts are very annoying... plus the odd "unresponsive lockscreen" thing is very frustrating.

Are phone retailers usually good at exchanging them?

I'm on ICS 4.0.1... not sure when my carrier is getting the 4.0.3 update, or if that would even solve my issues.
    You should've gotten the 4.0.2 update regardless of carrier. Go here and flash it manually if you want to try it. http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html

10. Post #250
    That's because it's volume up and home
    Are you serious?

11. Post #251
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,763 Posts
    Are you serious?
    Dead serious. You push that volume up button instead and you enter the magical world of recovery
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #252
    I thought I tried that, hmm...

Thank you

13. Post #253
    I'll do whatever you want me to do babe ;)
    September 2011
    1,772 Posts
    when i connect to a wifi, does it automatically disable my 3g connection? or do i have to disable it by myself or is there an app for that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events

14. Post #254
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,763 Posts
    3g is automatically disabled when you're connected to a wifi network, although 3g will be used if the wifi is on but NOT connected to a network
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #255
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,348 Posts
    Nandroid backup literally backs EVERYTHING
    Messing that thing up is practically impossible
    Doubt it works on this thing. This authenticator seems to generate a new unique code every single fucking time it's gets either uninstalled or relocated...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

16. Post #256
    Fuck Arnold Palmer
    April 2011
    8,491 Posts
    is there anyway to fix the Android OS/ System bug thing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

17. Post #257
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,958 Posts
    My epic 4g's charger port broke fully, I can't charge it, anyone know a temp fix? Trying to bring it to sprint but my sister is the person for the account, and she is in Texas right now.

18. Post #258
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,763 Posts
    is there anyway to fix the Android OS/ System bug thing?

What bug?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #259
    September 2011
    1,772 Posts
    3g is automatically disabled when you're connected to a wifi network, although 3g will be used if the wifi is on but NOT connected to a network
    good to know. then i dont have to disable it like i did every time now

20. Post #260
    Fuck Arnold Palmer
    April 2011
    8,491 Posts
    it drains battery reeeeeally fast

also, problem solved, i guess, i did a battery calibration.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

21. Post #261
    April 2005
    1,277 Posts
    ...Argh, what the hell... Galaxy nexus just rebooted and decided to delete my wallpaper?!

Edited:

You should've gotten the 4.0.2 update regardless of carrier. Go here and flash it manually if you want to try it. http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html
    Unfortunately, 'Bell Mobility Canada' has only provided the 4.0.1 update. I've tried my phone's auto-update feature to no avail.

Thanks for the link -- I don't mean to appear noobish, but where can I find instructions for installing the 4.0.2 firmware?

22. Post #262
    July 2009
    2,865 Posts
    it drains battery reeeeeally fast

also, problem solved, i guess, i did a battery calibration.
    If you mean you deleted the batterystats.bin, you're wrong because that only works with coulomb drain meters like HTC phones. You didn't fix the problem at all, and battery calibration is not needed with Samsung phones, and it actually causes a partial wakelock bug that will trash your battery life.

Get BetterBatteryStats from XDA for free or on the Market, and you'll be able to see what is taking up battery life. Skype is notorious for this.

23. Post #263
    September 2011
    1,772 Posts
    ...Argh, what the hell... Galaxy nexus just rebooted and decided to delete my wallpaper?!

Edited:

Unfortunately, 'Bell Mobility Canada' has only provided the 4.0.1 update. I've tried my phone's auto-update feature to no avail.

Thanks for the link -- I don't mean to appear noobish, but where can I find instructions for installing the 4.0.2 firmware?
    flash a custom rom

These links are only for the gsm version of the galaxy nexus, i dont know which one you have

tutorial to unlock bootloader/cwm: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1392310

a good custom rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1361348
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #264
    July 2009
    2,865 Posts
    FYI the best way to fix this is to eliminate both partial wakelocks and update your phone to the latest stable software to ensure that you reduce Android OS usage as much as possible.

Edited:

flash a custom rom
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1392310

That is how you get everything ready for a custom ROM, by the way.

Edited:

These are the drivers you need to install: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1379875

Edited:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1361348

That is one of the more popular ROMs that build off the stock ROM.

Edited:

Holy shit we were literally recommending the same ROM and giving the same exact links fuckin' ninjas I swear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #265
    April 2005
    1,277 Posts
    Wow, thanks guys!

But won't doing this potentially make me lose the warranty on my phone?

Is it worth trying to get it fixed or replaced first, to see if that fixes any of my bugs?

26. Post #266
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,104 Posts
    Icecream everywhere!

CM9 on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and SGSII.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #267

shit guys just got my new phone time to install angry birds

Jokes aside, this is my backup phone for if my HTC desire Z fucks up, and its starting to fuck up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #268
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,104 Posts
    Holy shit ICS is so nice on a tablet!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #269
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,737 Posts
    Icecream everywhere!

CM9 on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and SGSII.
    How is it on the GTab? Is it good enough to use as daily ROM? (Wifi version)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

30. Post #270
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,104 Posts
    How is it on the GTab? Is it good enough to use as daily ROM? (Wifi version)
    If you don't use the camera, yes. It's just SO nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #271
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,737 Posts
    If you don't use the camera, yes. It's just SO nice.
    I guess I don't mind missing the camera, thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

32. Post #272
    September 2011
    1,772 Posts
    Wow, thanks guys!

But won't doing this potentially make me lose the warranty on my phone?

Is it worth trying to get it fixed or replaced first, to see if that fixes any of my bugs?
    if something goes wrong, you just relock your bootloader and reflash your old firmware. just make a nandroid backup (full backup) to be sure to have it.

but its really hard to destroy your phone, once you unlocked it.

only when doing the bootloader unlocking process there is a chance of 0,001% that you destroy your phone. it takes about a few seconds.

33. Post #273
    November 2009
    9,231 Posts
    I am thinking of making a phone hardware thread. I want to make an OP listing down every android phone model.

I know its not needed, but I thought it would be nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #274
    September 2011
    1,772 Posts
    I am thinking of making a phone hardware thread. I want to make an OP listing down every android phone model.

I know its not needed, but I thought it would be nice.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ndroid_devices

do it!

35. Post #275
    November 2009
    9,231 Posts
    Waiting for others to respond

Edited:

Oh and NEW GALAXY PHONE:

[release]

Samsung's 2011 flagship still tantalizingly out of your wallet's reach? Well, you might be tempted by the latest addition to the Galaxy family that's just gone official in Korea. While the shell appears nigh-on indistinguishable from the previously announced Galaxy R, there are some notable spec differences. The M totes a four-inch Super AMOLED screen, not the Super Clear LCD found on the R, while there's also only a single-core 1GHz processor here, not the dual-core Tegra 2 found on its older brother. The camera has also felt the pinch, shrinking from a five megapixel to a three megapixel offering. The Gingerbread handset measures in at just under 10mm thick, while still packing a TV tuner and a metallic body more similar to the Wave series than the plastic-backed Galaxy family. The M moniker places it in the high-end affordable spectrum, according to Sammy's latest naming strategy, priced at around $500, although there's no news on a release outside of its homeland just yet. The phone will arrive in three confusing color options; Platinum Silver [above], Blue Black and Lavender Pink. See whether the specification trade-off is worth it for a dose of Super AMOLED goodness by inspecting the source below.[/release]

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/04/s...-super-amoled/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

36. Post #276
    September 2011
    1,772 Posts
    Waiting for others to respond

Edited:

Oh and NEW GALAXY PHONE:

[release]

Samsung's 2011 flagship still tantalizingly out of your wallet's reach? Well, you might be tempted by the latest addition to the Galaxy family that's just gone official in Korea. While the shell appears nigh-on indistinguishable from the previously announced Galaxy R, there are some notable spec differences. The M totes a four-inch Super AMOLED screen, not the Super Clear LCD found on the R, while there's also only a single-core 1GHz processor here, not the dual-core Tegra 2 found on its older brother. The camera has also felt the pinch, shrinking from a five megapixel to a three megapixel offering. The Gingerbread handset measures in at just under 10mm thick, while still packing a TV tuner and a metallic body more similar to the Wave series than the plastic-backed Galaxy family. The M moniker places it in the high-end affordable spectrum, according to Sammy's latest naming strategy, priced at around $500, although there's no news on a release outside of its homeland just yet. The phone will arrive in three confusing color options; Platinum Silver [above], Blue Black and Lavender Pink. See whether the specification trade-off is worth it for a dose of Super AMOLED goodness by inspecting the source below.[/release]

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/04/s...-super-amoled/
    not a special phone i think
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #277
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,280 Posts
    Looks like a cheap chinese copy of the original SGS2, and the white is damn ugly, especially with the sensor buttons being white too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #278
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,950 Posts
    Repost.

Also, is "rooting" legal?Just curious

What's the best backup app?Titanium backup requires a root and I don't plan on doing whatever that means.

Also, does the remote GPS feature work for anyone on "androidlost"?

Quite good, though Android OS bug is there

It's not as good as other ROMs, but still, during the 8 or so hours I've slept it went down 5%
    Whats up with the android OS bug?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

39. Post #279
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,280 Posts
    Rooting is legal unless there's some super-retarded law that I haven't seen yet. But it's YOUR phone, so what the fuck.
    The only downside of rooting is that you lose warranty, but you can unroot and get warranty back.

Best backup app would be Titanium Backup IMO, but yeah, you just NEED root. Seriously if you want to do anything a little more advanced, root is needed.

No idea about Androidlost, haven't tried it.

Android OS bug: If you look in Battery Stats and "Android OS" is at the top with most percent AND your battery is dying fast - that's the bug. I don't know much more but if you check Google, there's thousands of results.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

40. Post #280
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,950 Posts
    Awesome, thanks.Is rooting complicated?I know there's some stuff about it in the OP, but I never really liked fiddling around with phones (until now mabye )

Rooting is legal unless there's some super-retarded law that I haven't seen yet. But it's YOUR phone, so what the fuck.
    The only downside of rooting is that you lose warranty, but you can unroot and get warranty back.

Best backup app would be Titanium Backup IMO, but yeah, you just NEED root. Seriously if you want to do anything a little more advanced, root is needed.

No idea about Androidlost, haven't tried it.

Android OS bug: If you look in Battery Stats and "Android OS" is at the top with most percent AND your battery is dying fast - that's the bug. I don't know much more but if you check Google, there's thousands of results.
    Oh, cool, that's why my battery is dying fast then.Android OS is apparently using 73% :<
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events