1. Post #761
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,260 Posts
    I think that he means that the stuff looks more modern
    I don't see how, look at the monitor on the left, or the flipped over one between the vorts:

What about these monitors:

Or the size of this TV, yeah it's a flatscreen, but it's huge:

Plus the Devs said the interfaces on the computers will be based off Windows 98.

Edited:

Also according to the Overwiki, the Black Mesa Incident most likely happened in either 2003 or 2008.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

2. Post #762
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,058 Posts
    Also according to the Overwiki, the Black Mesa Incident most likely happened in either 2003 or 2008.
    What super secret government science facility uses tape reels in 2008?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

3. Post #763
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,978 Posts
    But it's a Government Research Facility, they'd probably have all the top of the line stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9 (list)

4. Post #764
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,043 Posts
    The Black Mesa Research Facility was built in and on top of a decommissioned 1950s military complex from the Cold War era. By their own admission, the equipment was old and being used to perform tasks beyond their intended capabilities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Zing Zing x 13Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #765
    October 2010
    11,814 Posts
    I don't see how, look at the monitor on the left, or the flipped over one between the vorts:

What about these monitors:

Or the size of this TV, yeah it's a flatscreen, but it's huge:

Plus the Devs said the interfaces on the computers will be based off Windows 98.

Edited:

I'm pretty sure that it was well established that Half Life took place in the late 90s/early 2000s based off of the equipment and stuff

Edited:

The Black Mesa Research Facility was built in and on top of a decommissioned 1950s military complex from the Cold War era. By their own admission, the equipment was old and being used to perform tasks beyond their intended capabilities.
    That doesn't mean they would use long outdated computer equipment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

6. Post #766
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,260 Posts
    Did we just go from "It's too new!" to "It's too old!" in the same damn subject?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

7. Post #767
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,714 Posts
    how these guys got more funding then Aperture the world will never know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #768
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,260 Posts
    how these guys got more funding then Aperture the world will never know
    Probably because AS would just blow all their funding on grinding up moon rocks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #769
    July 2007
    7,714 Posts
    Probably because AS would just blow all their funding on grinding up moon rocks.
    at least they have stuff like modular test chambers, antigravity platforms, fully function artificial intelligences, tractor beams, vaporization fields, and portal technology that doesn't cause an apocalypse when used. And they had the portals for 50 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 5Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #770
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,588 Posts
    at least they have stuff like modular test chambers, antigravity platforms, fully function artificial intelligences, tractor beams, vaporization fields, and portal technology that doesn't cause an apocalypse when used. And they had the portals for 50 years.
    Crazy with a twist of lemon.

Literally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #771
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,852 Posts
    Did we just go from "It's too new!" to "It's too old!" in the same damn subject?
    It's too not done
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

12. Post #772
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,352 Posts
    Crazy with a twist of lemon.

Literally.
    It wasn't as crazy when Cave was no longer in charge, and atleast they made several huge technological achievements.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #773
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,555 Posts
    Well they managed to teleport people and not just particles,which is a big ass technological achievement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events

14. Post #774
    May 2011
    53 Posts
    I think it will be out by April 18th 2013.
    Or was it April 17th 2014? I wrote it down somewhere....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #775
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,260 Posts
    In Portal 2 canon. Portal 2 retcons a shitload from Half-Life / Portal 1. Hell, practically the entire story is a retcon of everything that was known before.

Whether or not they still have all that stuff in Half-Life's canon, I'm not sure.

Edited:

Well they managed to teleport people and not just particles,which is a big ass technological achievement.
    Black Mesa teleported people too. How do you think they got to Xen?

16. Post #776
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,974 Posts
    In Portal 2 canon. Portal 2 retcons a shitload from Half-Life / Portal 1. Hell, practically the entire story is a retcon of everything that was known before.

Whether or not they still have all that stuff in Half-Life's canon, I'm not sure.

Edited:

Yeah but they have to use xen as a dimensional slingshot of they want to teleport from one point to another on Earth. Aperture just straight up has portal technology that makes holes from one point in space to another.

Without accidentally causing an evil alien overlord to enslave humanity, I might add.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 17Zing Zing x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #777
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,437 Posts
    Yeah but they have to use xen as a dimensional slingshot of they want to teleport from one point to another on Earth. Aperture just straight up has portal technology that makes holes from one point in space to another.

Without accidentally causing an evil alien overlord to enslave humanity, I might add.
    It wasn't using Xen as a dimensional slingshot that caused the accident, it was the insertion of the Xen crystal into the Anti-Mass Spectrometer that caused it. So their teleportation method worked just fine (and in HL2 as well).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

18. Post #778
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,260 Posts
    Plus it's very strongly implied that the Resonance Cascade was Gman's doing, and the Science Team were just unwitting pawns.

Edited:

Apparently tape reels are good for data storage because they're cheaper, easier to store, and last longer than the alternatives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

19. Post #779
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,352 Posts

Edited:

There is no seperate Canon. Portal 2 is part of the Overall Half-life canon, they take place in the same universe. It didn't really retcon anything from Half-life 1, just Portal 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #780
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,555 Posts
    oh hey another one

"I care so little now about black Mesa that I came into the thread and took the time to post about how little I care about it"
    The fact that I lost my hype for playing it doesn't mean that I won't support the mod or care.I am just pointing out the fact that it's taking a really long time.I know that I am bitching and I also acknowledge the fact that the devs have personal lifes but god damn it it's taking it too long.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events

21. Post #781
    October 2010
    11,814 Posts
    It actually is pretty crazy how much useful and innovative stuff Aperture made, I suspect that it's because they're really bad at marketing the stuff that did them in

Edited:

You can't have them take place in the same universe and then have them not. Once it's done, it's done unless they bring out some plot magic like Aperture being sent to another dimension because portals screwing up or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #782
    April 2011
    2,636 Posts
    If this actually gets released I'm gonna be impressed and surprised. In the mean time I will be waiting for Phobos which has actually been in development for a month longer than BMS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #783
    May 2011
    3,013 Posts
    All of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 9 (list)

24. Post #784
    July 2007
    7,714 Posts

Edited:

It's not out of question that the Enrichment Center from Portal 1 was a seperate, older area that they stopped using, like the Enrichment Shafts. The only real retcon is the hallway in front of GLaDOS, and maybe her design. The cube at the very end has the same design from 1, so that means it, and probably everything else, wasn't truly retconned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

25. Post #785
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,437 Posts
    It's not out of question that the Enrichment Center from Portal 1 was a seperate, older area that they stopped using, like the Enrichment Shafts. The only real retcon is the hallway in front of GLaDOS, and maybe her design. The cube at the very end has the same design from 1, so that means it, and probably everything else, wasn't truly retconned.
    What he meant was that the entire story retconned everything previously known. Which is why I doubt it is part of the ongoing canon, and think of it more as an offspring.

Edited:

I recommend 'a history of aperture science' on game informers portal 2 hub as an example of what the timeline looked like before Portal 2 was released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #786
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,978 Posts
    Actually, after obtaining the dual portal gun in Portal 2, you do travel though the final test chamber of Portal 1, which has some of the new panel arms in it, so the chambers are a bit of a retcon. The gun is found in the furnace GLaDOS tried killing you in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #787
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,107 Posts
    apparently according Ram one of the Security Guard lines are something like "Hey, catch me later. You, me and Calhoun will go get that beer he owes you."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #788
    leaked footage

lolnotreally
    it's a lamp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 14Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #789
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,260 Posts
    apparently according Ram one of the Security Guard lines are something like "Hey, catch me later. You, me and Calhoun will go get that beer he owes you."
    He was joking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

30. Post #790
    October 2010
    11,814 Posts
    He was joking.
    How the hell is that a joke?

31. Post #791
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,107 Posts
    I don't think he was.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

32. Post #792
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    leaked footage

lolnotreally
    it's a lamp
    barnacle´s hangover? :s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

33. Post #793
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    leaked footage

lolnotreally
    it's a lamp
    obviously we get to play as Steve the Barnacle killing people as they walk by in the new version of Black MEsa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

34. Post #794

April 2011
    231 Posts
    And now no wonder why geeks can't get laid...

Herpson : "honey, this is my -eh eh- bedroom".
    Derpina : "it's dark, I can't see".
    Herpson : "oh Wait, that's the surprise".
    *activates Barnacle lamp*
    Derpina : "KYAAAAA" *runs away, trips and breaks her neck on thé stairs*
    Judge : "Ye now condemned to 20 years for first degree murder"
    Herpson : "meh, was so near to lose my virginity, damn you Valve"

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling" - verynicelady))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 45Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #795
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,838 Posts

Oh great, it's you again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 23Informative Informative x 2 (list)

36. Post #796
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Oh great, it's you again.
    But now he's making pictureless rage comics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 28Zing Zing x 1 (list)

37. Post #797
    July 2009
    6,021 Posts

Who the hell let you back in here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

38. Post #798
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,852 Posts

>disparages "geeks"
    >uses "herp" and "derp"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

39. Post #799
    June 2010
    4,464 Posts
    >disparages "geeks"
    >uses "herp" and "derp"
    >uses "KYAAAAAA"

this isnt a fucking anime
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #800
    July 2007
    7,714 Posts
    And if you're gonna use an accent use "lé" instead the "thé"

You managed to take something incredibly stupid but hard to fuck up and fucked it up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 2 (list)