1. Post #801
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    912 Posts
    >This isn't 4chan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 20Disagree x 6Informative x 4Useful x 3Friendly x 3Funny x 1Winner x 1Zing x 1Late x 1Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #802
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    And if you're gonna use an accent use "l" instead the "th"

You managed to take something incredibly stupid but hard to fuck up and fucked it up
    Given that he's French, he might actually be mocking how rage comics use "l" wrong constantly. Although, given the rest of his behavior, I think that may be giving him a gigantic benefit of the doubt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

3. Post #803

July 2011
    185 Posts
    If black mesa is ever to be released, i hope that the mod team never decides to create anything again. waiting nearly 8 years for an awesome mod is just torture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #804
    October 2008
    437 Posts
    If black mesa is ever to be released, i hope that the mod team never decides to create anything again. waiting nearly 8 years for an awesome mod is just torture.
    What if The developers of black mesa source and the developers at Valve are having a contest on who can delay their games the longest?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

5. Post #805
    February 2010
    6,102 Posts
    Given that he's French, he might actually be mocking how rage comics use "l" wrong constantly. Although, given the rest of his behavior, I think that may be giving him a gigantic benefit of the doubt.
    An insult to french people like me!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 10Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #806
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,713 Posts
    that would be actually pretty cool if he had remembered to add the image beforehand
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #807
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    1,964 Posts
    What if The developers of black mesa source and the developers at Valve are having a contest on who can delay their games the longest?
    Replace Diablo 3 with Black Mesa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 19Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #808

April 2011
    231 Posts
    the "th" was that automatic Iphone corrector's fault.
    "th" means "tea" in your langage. When I tape "the", it corrects in "th". Sometimes I'm just bored of correcting the correction.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #809
    March 2011
    1,556 Posts
    "th" means "tea" in your langage. When I tape "the", it corrects in "th". Sometimes I'm just bored of correcting the correction.
    i can speak for this man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #810
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,713 Posts
    oh that's what it means in English? well thanks I didn't know that

I wonder why
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

11. Post #811
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,060 Posts
    Half-Life's MP5 sound is the most satisfying thing ever.
    I'd have to agree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

12. Post #812
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,472 Posts
    I'd have to agree.
    It sounds great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

13. Post #813
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,060 Posts
    I remember my attempts to replace the SCAR sound in L4D2 with them.

Unfortunately it failed horribly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

14. Post #814
    November 2008
    1,114 Posts
    I really do miss Goldsrc. Probably because I spent quite a number of my childhood years playing HL1 and it's mods.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

15. Post #815
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,825 Posts
    I really do miss Goldsrc. Probably because I spent quite a number of my childhood years playing HL1 and it's mods.
    Sven Coop for life
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

16. Post #816
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    Play Cry of Fear. Goldsrc with modern graphics. Best thing ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #817
    March 2011
    1,556 Posts
    Goldsrc with modern graphics.
    no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #818
    November 2008
    1,114 Posts
    Play Cry of Fear. Goldsrc with modern graphics. Best thing ever.
    But part of my love for Goldsrc IS the older graphics. Not that I hate Cry of Fear or anything though, because it really is fucking spectacular. I'm still trying to work my way through it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #819
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,773 Posts
    Old graphics have a tendancy of spooking the shit out of me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #820
    July 2009
    5,957 Posts
    For some reason, old graphics are easy on my eyes. I enjoy the lush graphics we have today, but then I take a look at Half Life 1's graphics and feel refreshed.

It's probably just nostalgia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

21. Post #821
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,059 Posts
    For some reason, old graphics are easy on my eyes. I enjoy the lush graphics we have today, but then I take a look at Half Life 1's graphics and feel refreshed.

It's probably because older games didn't support bloom, before every hero in every game had apparently never seen the sun before because walking outside on a mildly cloudy day runs the risk of burning your corneas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #822
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,025 Posts
    We got rid of sarevokh again. We must build a secret hideout before he comes back. Stock food, supplies and water.

We will need it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Turkey Show Events Funny Funny x 11Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #823
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    We got rid of sarevokh again. We must build a secret hideout before he comes back. Stock food, supplies and water.

We will need it.
    just don't feed the troll
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #824
    April 2011
    2,608 Posts

I think it has more to do with the fact that the simpler architecture and lighting more of a clean look to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

25. Post #825
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,060 Posts
    Syphon Snake posted:
    Raminator posted:
    Syphon Snake posted:
    How can this be? i've been waiting for this mod since i was like 13. I'm 20 now!!!
    Shit, waiting for the mod since you were thirteen. I've been working on the mod since I was nineteen. I'm now twenty-six.

I started mapping when I was thirteen.
    Holy shit.. Yeah.. You probably want it done with. Sorry.

I do believe he just got told.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #826
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,879 Posts
    Well maybe, Raminator, you wouldn't have to work so hard if you didn't discard all your progress every five years.

Just a tip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Useful Useful x 1 (list)

27. Post #827
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,522 Posts

Also what's suprisingly awesome is the fact in half-life you create any type of enviroment and it won't remind you of half-life 1 and black mesa.For example the mod Wanted which is based on the wild west,feels like a totally different game,gunman chornicles(space shizzle),they hunger etc.In half-life 2 every fucking mod makes me feel like I am playing half-life 2 all over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #828
    ALPHA MALE
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,541 Posts
    Also what's suprisingly awesome is the fact in half-life you create any type of enviroment and it won't remind you of half-life 1 and black mesa.For example the mod Wanted which is based on the wild west,feels like a totally different game,gunman chornicles(space shizzle),they hunger etc.In half-life 2 every fucking mod makes me feel like I am playing half-life 2 all over.
    I'm glad someone else feels this way, and that Natural Selection 2 is on a different engine besides Source. Every game that's tried to come out on Source always felt off. Every Source mod feels the same. I don't know what it is about Source, but it has a very specific feel and that feel is getting old. If NS2 ran on it I'd probably cry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #829
    November 2010
    1,115 Posts
    Also according to the Overwiki, the Black Mesa Incident most likely happened in either 2003 or 2008.
    If it was in 2008, it would be a good chance that they were using Windows Vista. Maybe that's the true cause of the Resonance Cascade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 16Zing x 3Agree x 2Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #830
    December 2009
    1,345 Posts
    So then why doesn't the mod seem to be getting anywhere?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

31. Post #831
    I'm glad someone else feels this way, and that Natural Selection 2 is on a different engine besides Source. Every game that's tried to come out on Source always felt off. Every Source mod feels the same. I don't know what it is about Source, but it has a very specific feel and that feel is getting old. If NS2 ran on it I'd probably cry.
    Its cause all the mods are lazy on source, so they don't change the sounds; the player speeds; anything.
    While people on the older engines must work a lot harder to bring people back and play the older game engines, so they add more sounds, change a lot more stuff, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

32. Post #832
    support my deus ex fanfiction
    November 2009
    1,199 Posts
    Its cause all the mods are lazy on source, so they don't change the sounds; the player speeds; anything.
    While people on the older engines must work a lot harder to bring people back and play the older game engines, so they add more sounds, change a lot more stuff, etc.
    I just fucking LOVE it when people use Source to it's full advantages. Dear Esther and Nuclear Dawn are two games that really hit is well on modifying the engine to make it feel not like a Source Mod.

And then there's Dino D-Day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #833
    September 2009
    3,721 Posts
    I just fucking LOVE it when people use Source to it's full advantages. Dear Esther and Nuclear Dawn are two games that really hit is well on modifying the engine to make it feel not like a Source Mod.

And then there's Dino D-Day.

Im sorry, Dear Esther felt EXACTLY like a source mod. a really slow, sluggish, pretentious source mod...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Disagree x 16Zing x 2Agree x 1Optimistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #834
    June 2011
    2,912 Posts
    Well, in this case, Joel Nielsen did replace almost every soundeffect in Black Mesa with his own created sound effects.

So I guess it will feel at least a bit different.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #835
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,060 Posts
    I'd say the general feel and appearance of the engine does it too, the way it handles lighting, visuals, physics, etc. Brushwork is also a significant part of it too imo, it's often very very easy to tell if a map was made in Hammer by looking at terrain and buildings. I'd also add textures to the list of things they don't change, since by seeing the same textures all the time, of course it's going to feel the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

36. Post #836
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,686 Posts
    They use a lot of the same prop textures, which is probably why it seems more HL2 like than otherwise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #837
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    17,897 Posts
    the BMS team also replaced most decals like bullet holes and blood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #838
    March 2012
    147 Posts
    So then why doesn't the mod seem to be getting anywhere?
    Because you're impatient.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

39. Post #839
    I'd say the general feel and appearance of the engine does it too, the way it handles lighting, visuals, physics, etc. Brushwork is also a significant part of it too imo, it's often very very easy to tell if a map was made in Hammer by looking at terrain and buildings. I'd also add textures to the list of things they don't change, since by seeing the same textures all the time, of course it's going to feel the same.
    Yes, many parts of source are also hard-coded, they can be gotten around; but it takes some hacky work on the side of developers.

Sounds are some of the first things that tell me its source; in the nuclear dawn trailer I could instantly tell it was source when he walked into a building where there was a metal floor; other than that the only thing that made me see it was source was the crappy LOD system it default forced and the way they coded the view-models. Both of which are a fairly easy fix.

Also all the default animations are starting to look a little stale and stiff, I think Black Meas made new meshes and animations pretty early on though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

40. Post #840

December 2011
    50 Posts
    Mar 1 2012 - Discussion with Michael Tannock on Moddb:

-How's the mod goin'?

Pretty well, though we're still making huge graphical improvements to keep the game up to date until we release it. One of the things we've done is add carefully balanced fog to all of our maps, so everything's looking far more real and impressive now.
    I assume the surprise you're referring to is the website change? I don't know why that hasn't happened yet, because as far as I know it's ready.
    - I thought: the new website will come with the soundtrack two weeks before release???

That's still the plan.
    - so Black Mesa is nearly finshed and ready for a release in a couple of weeks?

The website update still has to happen first, sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Poland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)