1. Post #9881
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,997 Posts
    For some reason I just didn't like the vorts at all in BM.

It didn't feel like they appeared often enough, they looked shiny and friendly (at odds with their shooting lightning at you) and they seemed to die wrong in my opinion, but thats probably because i'm so accustomed to the "GRRAAAAGGGH" and fall over animation from the original.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

2. Post #9882
    October 2010
    11,791 Posts

It didn't feel like they appeared often enough, they looked shiny and friendly (at odds with their shooting lightning at you) and they seemed to die wrong in my opinion, but thats probably because i'm so accustomed to the "GRRAAAAGGGH" and fall over animation from the original.
    And as it's been said so often already, they fire so quickly that it feels like you just have to take their hit and finish them off quickly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #9883
    June 2012
    5,694 Posts

I took the HL1 vort sound effects and put them straight in BM. They seemed so dull to fight with HL2 voices.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #9884
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,744 Posts

I saw a thread on the BM forums that suggested that the vorts have a more threatening idle animation. As it is, they just sort of stand there casually, but they should be using the combat animations from Episode 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

5. Post #9885
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,281 Posts
    Games where I'm forced to kill sentient beings, like other humans or, in this case, enslaved aliens, fill me with a sense of remorse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 17Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #9886
    September 2009
    7,013 Posts
    Games where I'm forced to kill sentient beings, like other humans or, in this case, enslaved aliens, fill me with a sense of remorse.
    Doesn't help that the vorts you briefly see during the resonance cascade basically come up to you and then start doing their little bow / greetings thing to you, either as foreshadowing of the future aid and freedom or out of an initial 'we come in peace'.

Then you kill lots of them. Because Black Mesa is hell on Earth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #9887
    May 2011
    2,436 Posts
    I really don't like how much faster vortigaunts shoot in BM. They were slower in HL1 so you could have time to get out of the way of their attack, because there's no real way to dodge it.

There's one bit in the BM version Surface Tension where you drop down a hole, and there are two vortigaunts already waiting to jump you. There's no cover and there's pretty much no way to avoid getting damaged without knowing that they'll be there ahead of time. Stuff like this is on the same level as the imp doors from Doom 3 when it comes to cheap enemy placement.
    If thats the part I am thinking about, you can get past it without getting hit. The second you land sprint at them and shotgun them both in the face. They usually can't react in time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

8. Post #9888
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    23,877 Posts
    Because Black Mesa is hell on Earth.
    this is completely off-topic and irrelevant but after the dev team is done with Xen i wish, oh how i wish that they or at least some of them would work to create a Source version of the original DOOM or DOOM II
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9889
    June 2011
    579 Posts
    this is completely off-topic and irrelevant but after the dev team is done with Xen i wish, oh how i wish that they or at least some of them would work to create a Source version of the original DOOM or DOOM II
    Please. I miss DOOM. My only gripe will likely be not being able to run around at like 24 km/h or however fast doom guy ran.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

10. Post #9890
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,744 Posts
    If thats the part I am thinking about, you can get past it without getting hit. The second you land sprint at them and shotgun them both in the face. They usually can't react in time.
    Yeah, but that's a very specific thing that requires you to already know that they're going to be there, so that doesn't make it any better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #9891
    May 2011
    2,436 Posts
    Yeah, but that's a very specific thing that requires you to already know that they're going to be there, so that doesn't make it any better.
    Unless you play like me where the second I see anything, I sprint at it and attempt to shotgun it in the face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 3 (list)

12. Post #9892
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,744 Posts
    Unless you play like me where the second I see anything, I sprint at it and attempt to shotgun it in the face.
    Except that there's a good chance you won't see them right when you drop down the hole. You have to already know that they're going to be there. And they're a good distance away, so you'd need to immediately sprint in the right direction to close the distance and use your shotgun, with no margin for error.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #9893
    June 2012
    5,694 Posts
    Part 1 of a video interview with Joel Nielsen

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

14. Post #9894
    May 2011
    1,678 Posts
    I appreciate his approach to his work not to mention that he didn't sit on his ass and actually refined his work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

15. Post #9895
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,759 Posts
    I really don't like how much faster vortigaunts shoot in BM. They were slower in HL1 so you could have time to get out of the way of their attack, because there's no real way to dodge it.
    You actually can dodge the vortigaunt's zap attacks out in the open in HL1 if you bunny hop fast enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

16. Post #9896
    July 2012
    3,493 Posts
    There's no way to make them fire slower?

Players want to avoid taking damage, not tank it and rely on medkit placement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #9897
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    Its called dodging it. here's how to kill them:

1. get their aggro
    2. wait for them to charge
    3. sprint to cover
    4. sprint to their face and blast them

this is how I beat the game on hard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #9898
    June 2012
    5,694 Posts
    You actually can dodge the zap attack if you move fast enough without cover, but it's very hard.

Part 2 of the interview

Check out 9:45 :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #9899
    July 2012
    3,493 Posts
    In Half-Life, you don't play as a soldier, or a mercenary, but a MIT graduate with not much prior training, fighting for his life.

I'd love to see a casual player try to play this game with that in mind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #9900
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,769 Posts
    In Half-Life, you don't play as a soldier, or a mercenary, but a MIT graduate with no prior training, fighting for his life.

I'd love to see a casual player try to play this game with that in mind.
    I don't think they'd really care. Being a scientist has no effect on gameplay so to them it wouldn't really matter, you'd just pick up and play anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

21. Post #9901
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,612 Posts
    MIT graduate with no prior training
    wrong

assault course
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

22. Post #9902
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,769 Posts
    wrong

assault course
    And he gets trained with military hardware in the hazard course too (MP5/M4A1 with M203)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

23. Post #9903
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,164 Posts
    I think Gordon might have had some previous NRA shooting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #9904
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,759 Posts
    He built a fucking potato cannon when he was fucking 8 years old ffs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

25. Post #9905
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,164 Posts
    He probably found intelligent life in the universe.
    But it was so frightening he never talked about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

26. Post #9906
    The Savior of FP
    May 2010
    5,629 Posts
    Half life 3 potato based rail gun confirmed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

27. Post #9907
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,164 Posts
    Half life 3 potato based rail gun confirmed.
    Weapons Trailer:

A lone combine stands in a field of dead rebels.
    The whole world slows around him as his head is destroyed completely by a potato cannon.
    HALF-LIFE 3: HERO BEGGINING
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

28. Post #9908
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,744 Posts
    Its called dodging it. here's how to kill them:

1. get their aggro
    2. wait for them to charge
    3. sprint to cover
    4. sprint to their face and blast them

this is how I beat the game on hard
    We've been over this. They should fire slower so you have a bit more time to take cover, because as it is, you don't have much time at all. And at the part I mentioned, there is no cover to take, so it's pointless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #9909
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,759 Posts
    Half-Life 3: Return to Black Mesa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

30. Post #9910
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,823 Posts
    And he gets trained with military hardware in the hazard course too (MP5/M4A1 with M203)
    That's true. But AFAIK he still hasn't had real military training. Target practice and obstacle course are only a small part of military training; it takes months of basic training to actually forge the discipline to be able to handle yourself in a life-and-death situation while maintaining clarity of mind and physical calm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

31. Post #9911
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,164 Posts
    HALF LIFE 3: FULL LIFE CONSEQUNCES
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #9912
    June 2012
    5,694 Posts
    We've been over this. They should fire slower so you have a bit more time to take cover, because as it is, you don't have much time at all. And at the part I mentioned, there is no cover to take, so it's pointless.
    Well actually, I just replayed that part, and you can go back down the hallway and behind the fence quick enough to not take damage, but it requires insanely precise timing, which is way too much anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #9913
    April 2011
    1,407 Posts
    Half-Life 3: Return to Black Mesa
    If you like smoldering craters than you're in for a treat!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

34. Post #9914
    June 2012
    5,694 Posts
    New video!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 16 (list)

35. Post #9915
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,744 Posts
    That jumping puzzle looks a bit iffy to me, and I'm not a big fan of having to block the gas flow with the barrels, since nothing like that was implemented in the rest of the game. It could get a bit confusing. Also I still really don't like how he tests the maps with that really weird config he has going.

Other than that, it looks pretty awesome. I like how he improved that huge battle outside.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

36. Post #9916
    He built a fucking potato cannon when he was fucking 8 years old ffs.
    it was a tennis ball cannon

at age 6
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #9917
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,940 Posts
    I'm not a fan of the jump puzzle either, seems very indirect, especially the part where you walked on the edge of the small pipes. Would've never thought of that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #9918
    June 2012
    5,694 Posts
    That jumping puzzle looks a bit iffy to me, and I'm not a big fan of having to block the gas flow with the barrels, since nothing like that was implemented in the rest of the game. It could get a bit confusing.
    True, but he did say he's looking for a way to make it more logical, so we will have to see how that goes.

Wow, for some reason I almost forgot how basic some of those areas looked in the original.

I also like the addition of the sniper for the rooftop scene.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

39. Post #9919
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,744 Posts
    I'm not a fan of the jump puzzle either, seems very indirect, especially the part where you walked on the edge of the small pipes. Would've never thought of that.
    Yeah, if I made it into the room like that, I'd just think "was I supposed to do that?". Also, that glass looks like it shouldn't be breakable, so I probably wouldn't have tried hitting it for a while.

And avoiding that sniper while also having to turn that wheel looks a bit awkward. I'm trying to imagine what Gordon would actually look like while doing that.

40. Post #9920
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,769 Posts
    That's true. But AFAIK he still hasn't had real military training. Target practice and obstacle course are only a small part of military training; it takes months of basic training to actually forge the discipline to be able to handle yourself in a life-and-death situation while maintaining clarity of mind and physical calm.
    That is very true, but I think that Gordon might have hung around the range with Barney to hone his shooting skills. As for the not freaking out part, they probably give you at least some discipline training in the Hazard Course (you are not really good to anyone if you freak out the first time you see an enemy) We don't really know how lengthy the hazard course would be in real life. They might give you like a few weeks of training (I wouldn't train someone for ten minutes and then expect them to preform hazardous operations, potentially on other worlds)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)