1. Post #8921
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,327 Posts
    I've always found it funny that the whole black mesa event happened to begin with. I mean, Lambda labs had a working teleporter that they used regularly, don't you think when they caught word of sector c's tests, the would have been like: "Hey don't fuck around with that xen crystal stuff. Shits volatile yo."

The crystal that the G-Man brought in was different from the other ones probably.
    And because you were the one who put the crystal into the machine in the first place, All of the grunts who were sent to Black Mesa think the entire thing is your fault. (They actually think you did it on purpose as sabotage)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #8922
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,449 Posts
    I've always found it funny that the whole black mesa event happened to begin with. I mean, Lambda labs had a working teleporter that they used regularly, don't you think when they caught word of sector c's tests, the would have been like: "Hey don't fuck around with that xen crystal stuff. Shits volatile yo."
    Naw, they were getting aware of the fact that the crystals stored immense amounts of energy, which is why they needed to analyse it in Sector C. G-man gave them a botched version, somehow powerful enough to create a dimensional rift on its own, and shit hit the fan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

3. Post #8923
    June 2012
    5,933 Posts
    personally I prefer half life 2s hev suit much much much more than BM's.
    Meh, I would always get HEV skins for HL2 because I felt it looked way too much just like...regular gloves
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #8924
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,724 Posts
    You were testing materials involving teleportation, not specificaly teleportation.

Anyways. I think the blood splattering on weapons is a good idea, but i don't think they did it right. It should be finer. Because it just looks realy bad with giant puddles of alien yellow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #8925
    February 2009
    3,896 Posts
    The crystal that the G-Man brought in was different from the other ones probably.
    And because you were the one who put the crystal into the machine in the first place, All of the grunts who were sent to Black Mesa think the entire thing is your fault. (They actually think you did it on purpose as sabotage)
    No I mean Lambda labs, they guys who have a working teleporter to xen, who are around this stuff all the time, didn't think to mention to sector c that just shoving a huge sample of xen crystal into something designed to funnel energy into it, was a BAD idea?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #8926
    June 2008
    3,554 Posts
    No I mean Lambda labs, they guys who have a working teleporter to xen, who are around this stuff all the time, didn't think to mention to sector c that just shoving a huge sample of xen crystal into something designed to funnel energy into it, was a BAD idea?
    They've done it before. When one of the scientists says 'this is the purest sample we've seen yet' it implies they routinely analyze Xen crystals this way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

7. Post #8927
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,449 Posts
    The different sections weren't just working on whatever they could get their hands on, Breen (and sub-admins, probably) would be the ones arranging the different experiments. It's not even certain that the experiment would have gone wrong if they hadn't been delivered a rigged sample by G-man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8928
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,845 Posts
    Why is everyone saying that G-Man intentionally caused the resonance cascade with a rigged sample? When was this confirmed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #8929
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,403 Posts
    Because if he did, he's a huge dick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #8930
    April 2007
    259 Posts
    Why is everyone saying that G-Man intentionally caused the resonance cascade with a rigged sample? When was this confirmed?
    It was confirmed in Episode 2, Eli mentions it to Gordon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #8931
    Does he think that or is he sure?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

12. Post #8932
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,944 Posts
    Does he think that or is he sure?

Ignore the uploader's need to nod at everything they said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #8933
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,449 Posts
    It's actually only implied that it was rigged. Eli says that the sample they used in the anti-mass spectrometer was delivered by the G-man, who whispered (that's pretty sinister right) to him "Prepare for unforeseen consequences."

I don't know if it was actually modified by the g-man, or if he just strolled to Xen and found a really potent crystal, but the resonance cascade was definitely intentional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

14. Post #8934
    June 2012
    5,933 Posts
    I kinda wish they redid the old vortigaunt sounds. In the first one I thought of them just as weird, creepy aliens but all I think of when I kill them now is all that praise they gave the freeman (and of the black guy doing their voices). Almost makes me feel like in HL2 they shouldn't be praising him so much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #8935
    few words to create space
    January 2009
    8,083 Posts
    Hm, Nihilanth's chamber is actually pretty humble for the leader of Xen. Just a huge cave with spikes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #8936
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,845 Posts
    Oh, I totally forgot about that part of the conversation where he said that G-Man brought in the crystal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #8937
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,944 Posts
    Oh, I totally forgot about that part of the conversation where he said that G-Man brought in the crystal.
    Conversation?
    So now talking at Gordon and assuming he understands is considered conversation?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

18. Post #8938
    June 2012
    5,933 Posts
    Hm, Nihilanth's chamber is actually pretty humble for the leader of Xen. Just a huge cave with spikes.
    Well maybe because Xen isn't their homeworld, he could have possibly been using it as a temporary place, being oppressed and hiding from the combine and all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #8939
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,845 Posts
    Conversation?
    So now talking at Gordon and assuming he understands is considered conversation?
    Well, uh... the guy playing the game was nodding a lot so... yeah sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

20. Post #8940
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    I kinda wish they redid the old vortigaunt sounds. In the first one I thought of them just as weird, creepy aliens but all I think of when I kill them now is all that praise they gave the freeman (and of the black guy doing their voices). Almost makes me feel like in HL2 they shouldn't be praising him so much.
    They're enslaved though. Notice how they're all wearing these green metal shackles? And how the Vortigaunts in HL2 don't, except that one by the trainstation who is sweeping the platform floor while the Combine soldiers watch? Yeah.

Nihilanth is enslaved just like the Vorts; he wears metal shackles, propped up on a floating device and trapped in a chamber without escape. Come to think of it, the surgery marks on his belly, his unnatural anatomy and the metal parts attached to him makes him seem like a synth (bio-engineered creature filled with machinery). The Combine is nose-deep into everything relating to the resonance cascade, they just aren't named.

Edited:

Also regarding the Vortigaunts praising you, they do have one rather interesting line that goes something like "We cannot forget those whose cords you severed. Forgiveness is not ours to bestow". While you slaughtered them by the hundreds while they were enslaved, you ended up liberating their entire race in the end by killing Nihilanth, so them respecting you makes some sense after all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

21. Post #8941
    Stardust crusader
    March 2009
    2,861 Posts
    -snip-

22. Post #8942
    few words to create space
    January 2009
    8,083 Posts
    Nihilanth is enslaved just like the Vorts; he wears metal shackles, propped up on a floating device and trapped in a chamber without escape. Come to think of it, the surgery marks on his belly, his unnatural anatomy and the metal parts attached to him makes him seem like a synth (bio-engineered creature filled with machinery). The Combine is nose-deep into everything relating to the resonance cascade, they just aren't named.
    I'm not sure if I'm right about this, it's mostly pieced together from different sources. I thought Nihilanth escaped the Combine and went to Xen. Those shackles are just a reminder he was a slave to control lesser slaves. And about the Resonance Cascade. I thought that was move by the Gman. Nihilanth's safe haven was revealed and he could no longer hide from the Combine because such an event could not go unnoticed by them. He then decided to take over Earth maybe because it would make a better battlefield.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #8943
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,449 Posts
    We already have it from Marc Laidlaw that the Combine didn't know about Earth until the portal storms that occurred after Nihilanth died. And that Nihilanth was in exile on Xen. Plus, the G-Man orchestrated the entire thing, and he and his employers control Xen by the end of Half-Life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

24. Post #8944
    June 2012
    5,933 Posts
    Oh man, the garg is so awesome. I spawned a ton of marines and a squad leader in the back and then the garg in an open area, and for some reason he decided to kill two guys then focus on killing the leader.

So instead of burning all the marines to a crisp, he literally ran through them all, stepping on them and exploding each of them into a million pieces until he got to the leader and burned him alive :D

Also yeah, I know they are enslaved, forgot about the vortigaunt comment about not forgiving though

EDIT:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

25. Post #8945
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,423 Posts
    Ignore the uploader's need to nod at everything they said.
    I actually have a odd habit of doing this in games. I'll even do it with friends.

26. Post #8946
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,403 Posts
    Evidently, The original Half Life will start to play random music if you have a CD in the drive when you're playing it. I was confused as hell when I started the tram sequence and started hearing this:

And by the way, I decided to buy the Half Life 1 anthology because I played black mesa.

Edited:

I'm just starting Half Life now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #8947
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,397 Posts
    Don't remember where I got this from but I think much of Black Mesa is an old military installation/ICBM launch facility. I imagine a bit of everything in the facility such as the silos, the rail infrastructure, storage areas and probably much of the computer equipment is from those days.
    I think it was mentioned it was from the 50s.

I can't remember anything in HL1 that suggested they were using old equipment (other than Eli's line about the equipment not being meant for what they were using it for) like they are in Black Mesa.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #8948
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    I think it was mentioned it was from the 50s.

I can't remember anything in HL1 that suggested they were using old equipment (other than Eli's line about the equipment not being meant for what they were using it for) like they are in Black Mesa.
    Well the place IS littered with big bulky tape drives (began seeing use in the 50's and onward), which was used commonly for storage until hard drives became cheaper:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

29. Post #8949
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,091 Posts
    Well the place IS littered with big bulky tape drives, which was used commonly for storage until hard drives became cheaper:
    At the same time, they're mostly in the older and/or abandoned parts of the facility.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who is confused about whether or not parts of the "older" facility (esp. a lot of On a Rail, Apprehension, and Blast Pit) are abandoned are not? Sometimes it just seems really confusing to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #8950
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    What is the issue with this question regarding the age of their equipment, really? Am I missing something here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

31. Post #8951
    June 2012
    5,933 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #8952
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,845 Posts
    I would have loved to see some actual battles that looked something like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

33. Post #8953
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    I would have loved to see some actual battles that looked something like that.
    That's what I love about Opposing Force; it had several of those. One even involving a Black Ops Apache!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

34. Post #8954
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,450 Posts
    Still waiting for the mod that bulks up HECU soldiers and makes them short-sleeved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 4 (list)

35. Post #8955
    June 2012
    5,933 Posts
    I would love for someone to make SNPCs of these guys for GMOD. Having combine vs HECU vs Agrunts and gargantuas would be awesome.

Dumb-ass grunt medic had to turn around in the midst of battle like an idiot and look away from the battle. Ruined this otherwise cool shot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #8956
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,034 Posts
    So a friend of mine that never played half life 1 (and in fact has a hatred of valve games purely to spite me ) is trying Black Mesa, and he keeps raging out and getting stuck constantly because "I can't ever fucking tell if doors are locked or not."

So I tell him that most doors that are locked have no handle or, if they're the automated kind, have a red light on them instead of a green one.

And that's when we both remember...

he's fucking colorblind and can't tell green from red.

Whelp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Funny Funny x 32Friendly Friendly x 6Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #8957
    re-skin it for him so the lights are different colors
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

38. Post #8958
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,854 Posts
    Why does Barney always call houndeyes horrors, they're so adorable, almost like cats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 15Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #8959
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,944 Posts
    So a friend of mine that never played half life 1 (and in fact has a hatred of valve games purely to spite me ) is trying Black Mesa, and he keeps raging out and getting stuck constantly because "I can't ever fucking tell if doors are locked or not."

So I tell him that most doors that are locked have no handle or, if they're the automated kind, have a red light on them instead of a green one.

And that's when we both remember...

he's fucking colorblind and can't tell green from red.

Whelp.
    Tell him to try turning his eyes off and then on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

40. Post #8960
    June 2012
    5,933 Posts

"The bridge looks pretty sturdy to me"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24Winner Winner x 3 (list)