1. Post #2361
    September 2009
    2,151 Posts
    Here I come to read about news on BMS and people complaining and instead I find a discussion on that awful mod
    Damn, I don't see the purpose of checking facepunch first to see if there is any valuable information about BMS.

You have a twitter account?? "Follow" Black Mesa.
    You have a Facebook account? "Like" Black Mesa.

Every dozen of posts, there is a jerk posting "oh hi, I've seen posts, I thought news or release, well I'm disappointed". Well, okay, understood (for the millionth time).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2362
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts
    The water looks like something imported from goldsrc.
    Wait, that's water?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #2363
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,150 Posts
    Wait, that's water?
    it's shit-water is what it is

speaking of which, you have to wonder why a caustic and apparently radioactive canal full of this shit-water burns clean through a suit designed for exploring crazy-ass places like Xen but apparently can't damage the plastic sheathing on the underside of an airboat built from taps and rusty spoons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

4. Post #2364
    June 2010
    2,479 Posts

speaking of which, you have to wonder why a caustic and apparently radioactive canal full of this shit-water burns clean through a suit designed for exploring crazy-ass places like Xen but apparently can't damage the plastic sheathing on the underside of an airboat built from taps and rusty spoons
    It's weird, sure, but it's there as a gameplay mechanic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #2365
    October 2010
    11,825 Posts

I'd imagine the suit is alerting Gordon to danger because he doesn't have his helmet to provide full protection. Even Valve's official HL2 art shows him without it, so we can assume he lacks it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2366
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,408 Posts

The same way a 9mm pistol can penetrate several inches of heavy body armour, but is stopped dead by a cm thick piece of sheet metal.

Edited:

I'd imagine the suit is alerting Gordon to danger because he doesn't have his helmet to provide full protection. Even Valve's official HL2 art shows him without it, so we can assume he lacks it.
    He does have a helmet, it's just not in concept art because it obscures his iconic face. If he truly lacked a helmet, then he would have died of severe radiation poisoning within seconds of entering the Citadel Core chamber.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #2367
    The best headhumper of the galaxy.
    January 2012
    2,937 Posts
    The same way a 9mm pistol can penetrate several inches of heavy body armour, but is stopped dead by a cm thick piece of sheet metal.

Edited:

He does have a helmet, it's just not in concept art because it obscures his iconic face. If he truly lacked a helmet, then he would have died of severe radiation poisoning within seconds of entering the Citadel Core chamber.
    Well, when you put the Hev Suit on in HL1 and 2, you don't see a helmet on the suit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #2368
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,428 Posts

Edited:

he doesn't wear a helmet what are you smoking. even the retail cover shows that.

Edited:

and actually i agree, why the fuck does the canal water damage freeman even though the suit is made exactly for the purpose of stopping that? it's a Hazardous Environment V (i don't know what the V stands for lol, maybe vest). but oh well, hl2 is a great game anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 4 (list)

9. Post #2369
    Dennab
    June 2012
    352 Posts
    he doesn't wear a helmet what are you smoking. even the retail cover shows that.

Edited:

and actually i agree, why the fuck does the canal water damage freeman even though the suit is made exactly for the purpose of stopping that? it's a Hazardous Environment V (i don't know what the V stands for lol, maybe vest). but oh well, hl2 is a great game anyways.
    The V in HEV stsnds for -vironment. Because the E stands for the En-. So, that's why it's just Hazardous Environment suit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #2370
    October 2009
    9,439 Posts

Edited:

It's a roman numeral
    Haz Suit Mark V
    Mark 5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

11. Post #2371
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    It's a roman numeral
    Haz Suit Mark V
    Mark 5
    The HEV MK IV was called "HEV" as well, so I don't really think that works. It might be Hazardous Environment Suit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #2372
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,451 Posts
    It's a roman numeral
    Haz Suit Mark V
    Mark 5
    The HEV Mark V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

13. Post #2373
    October 2010
    11,825 Posts

Like I suggested, since the suit can apparently check the vitals of the person wearing it maybe it can tell that he's not wearing his helmet and it warns him of the damage being done to him
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2374
    October 2009
    9,439 Posts
    The HEV Mark V
    That's not the point. V means 5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 23 (list)

15. Post #2375
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,451 Posts
    no

Hazardous EnVironment suit mark five
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

16. Post #2376
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,144 Posts
    I took a photo of my Half Life manual (Which is signed!!) just to prove you wrong.

(This is when it's a Mark IV suit)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

17. Post #2377
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,964 Posts
    http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/HEV_Suit

The HEV Suit,[1] or Hazardous Environment suit, often called the "hazard suit" for sake of convenience, is a full-body hazardous materials suit developed at the Black Mesa Research Facility, designed for Black Mesa scientists to protect them from radiation, energy discharges, and blunt-force trauma during the handling of hazardous materials and to protect them from the effects of traveling to Xen as part of Survey Teams.
    I mean, for sake of consistency I think it's safe to go with Hazardous Environment Suit. Still, googling "EV" and searching for "EV" on Wikipedia never brings up Environment.

EDIT: You ninja.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

18. Post #2378
    October 2009
    9,439 Posts
    ...Ooooooh, he was mixing up HEV with what he said, riiiight...
    I thought I remember Kleiner saying Mark 5, and, so...

Gotcha. I was wrong. Sorry!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Late Late x 1 (list)

19. Post #2379
    June 2012
    5,936 Posts
    You don't read roman numeral 5 out loud as "V" If that were true, when you slip on the suit it would say

"Welcome, to the H. E. 5"

It doesn't, in HL1 it says

"Welcome, to the HEV Mark IV hazardous Environment suit..."

The "V" in HEV was never meant to be a 5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

20. Post #2380
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,894 Posts
    Last week we were arguing about Gordon's ponytail, this week over if the V is for (EnVironment Suit, or 5.

I wonder what next week will be? What Gordon's prescription is for his glasses?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #2381
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,379 Posts
    Last week we were arguing about Gordon's ponytail, this week over if the V is for (EnVironment Suit, or 5.

I wonder what next week will be? What Gordon's prescription is for his glasses?
    He has no prescription. They're just those cheap "reading glasses" you buy at corner stores.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

22. Post #2382
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,408 Posts
    "Welcome, to the HEV Mark IV protective system, for use in hazardous environment conditions..."
    Fixed it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #2383

April 2011
    302 Posts
    No news from the BMS forums?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista France Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #2384
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,423 Posts
    He has no prescription. They're just those cheap "reading glasses" you buy at corner stores.
    Mr. Friendly was designed to be able to pound the ground, knocking off Gordon's glasses and making his vision blurry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Late Late x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #2385
    June 2012
    171 Posts
    Its 2012 and not released, wasn't this annouced in 2008 or 2009? Since then I was worrying if my PC could handle it, but now my new one can. Hopefully it will still be worth the wait.
    My PC can handle HL2 or CS:S on max except water and AA, won't this be the same graphics? I thought that I cannot be afraid of my PC not handling this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events

26. Post #2386
    September 2009
    2,151 Posts
    Mr. Friendly was designed to be able to pound the ground, knocking off Gordon's glasses and making his vision blurry.
    That's an interesting mechanic. I never thought about Gordon's glasses when playing, that would have been a great element of surprise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #2387
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,423 Posts
    It was scrapped because it would have been hard to do with the Goldsrc engine.

And I know that's late, I was just saying that he probably doesn't have reading glasses if everything would be blurry when he takes them off (even though they do look sort of like cheap dollar store glasses).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #2388
    October 2009
    9,439 Posts
    You don't read roman numeral 5 out loud as "V" If that were true, when you slip on the suit it would say

"Welcome, to the H. E. 5"

It doesn't, in HL1 it says

"Welcome, to the HEV Mark IV hazardous Environment suit..."

The "V" in HEV was never meant to be a 5
    Yeah, I know. I thought he meant like HEV mark V, not HE V. Alrighty. Let's go back to the bullsquid, now, shall we.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #2389
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,423 Posts
    'Welcome to the H.E.V Mark IV protective system, for use in hazardous environment conditons.'

I wonder if Gman's case will have the briefcase and gun and stuff that it had in HL1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #2390
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,408 Posts
    Well, when you put the Hev Suit on in HL1 and 2, you don't see a helmet on the suit.
    Okay new theory, Gordon is a ghoul so he's just immune to radiation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic x 2Zing x 1Dumb x 1Funny x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #2391
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,423 Posts
    Your vision would be tinted if you had the helmet on, though. Gordon has a completely clear viewpoint, no blockers or anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

32. Post #2392
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,408 Posts
    Your vision would be tinted if you had the helmet on, though. Gordon has a completely clear viewpoint, no blockers or anything.
    I think that's the most ridiculous argument I've heard so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #2393
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    I think that's the most ridiculous argument I've heard so far.
    Gordon doesn't wear a helmet. Look at the fucking art for the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

34. Post #2394
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,842 Posts
    Gordon doesn't wear a helmet. Look at the fucking art for the game.
    please explain how he survived the radiation in the citadels core chamber
    or how he survived xen when all other hev units sent there had helmets on them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #2395
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,009 Posts
    Then by that helmet logic, Gordon doesn't wear glasses because his entire filed of view is clear, people who wear glasses know that it's all blurry outside the lenses. That would be a feature I'd like to see in the next game, or in any game really. Can we just accept that Gordon can see the Combine?

And above, Xen Fauna had no issue between Earth and Xen, therefore, the atmospheres are similar, and Barney went there too, he didn't wear any kind of full facial shield respirator contraption, just his standard issue helmet. (Which I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, but BS was very lacking in armor, I swear there was next to none.) The Citadel radiation is harder to explain though, but in neither game do we see a helmet with Gordon's suit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 5Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #2396
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,342 Posts
    Then by that helmet logic, Gordon doesn't wear glasses because his entire filed of view is clear, people who wear glasses know that it's all blurry outside the lenses. That would be a feature I'd like to see in the next game, or in any game really. Can we just accept that Gordon can see the Combine?
    As I recall there was going to be an enemy in HL1 that would have been able to knock Gordon's glasses off/askew, but then they realized that it would have sucked from a gameplay standpoint.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 5 (list)

37. Post #2397
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,408 Posts
    And above, Xen Fauna had no issue between Earth and Xen, therefore, the atmospheres are similar, and Barney went there too, he didn't wear any kind of full facial shield respirator contraption, just his standard issue helmet. (Which I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, but BS was very lacking in armor, I swear there was next to none.)
    This I can agree with, Xen is survivable without a helmet. There's even a Scientist in lab coat there in the first game, for whatever reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

38. Post #2398
    DFC
    September 2011
    278 Posts
    Is there really THAT much radiation in the citadel core? The stalkers do fine in there and I doubt they can take much more than a normal human (though I'm sure the radiation eventually kills them off after extended exposure and they are replaced)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #2399
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,009 Posts
    Gordon's suit could've protected him enough that the radiation wasn't damaging, like lead blankets for an X-Ray, on a much bigger and more lethal scale.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #2400
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,569 Posts
    Mr. Friendly was designed to pound more than the ground.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 22Agree Agree x 3 (list)