1. Post #2721
    June 2012
    5,810 Posts
    The only reason I posted that example is because it happened quite often in the game, whether it be squad...get...freman, or squad..on..me, etc. I never said that HL1's HECU speech always sounded like it consisted solely of fragmented speech. In fact, there was a very good reason my post said "Real people don't spend half their time saying one-word sentences"

Sure, the "half their time" may be an exaggeration, but do you honestly think of all my times playing half-life I've never once noticed that the system that strings together words actually does work? Don't assume I don't know when something works just because I illustrate when it doesn't work.

Regardless, the voice system for HECU was designed that way, and sometimes it does sound authentic and like they are naturally saying those things, and sometimes it does in fact sound like fragmented phrases.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #2722
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,043 Posts
    I had Photoshop open anyway, so bam:
    I guess "brightness" is a bit of a misnomer. I apologize for using the incorrect term. I was specifically referring to the black "levels" being crushed. I don't know all the technical details to explain it, so here's an example I threw together in Photoshop:

Left is unaltered, right is with blacks crushed to an adequate degree. I did not touch the saturation level. The difference in the color you might see is solely a result of crushing the blacks. I believe this is fairly accurate to what's displayed in the Black Mesa video. There's no real way to fix or reverse the change after the fact since crushing the black levels causes a lot of information loss in the image.

Keep in mind that in your animated image, we can see the Episode Two blood particle effect on the right side of the screen. In your desaturated screen, the blood becomes an unnaturally dull brown which we know isn't correct as seen in Episode Two and most other Orange Box-based Source mods. Hence, I still posit that the darkness is a result of the black levels being crushed and nothing more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #2723
    June 2012
    5,810 Posts
    So, then I guess we were technically just using the wrong terminology to describe what happened in the video right? Because I noticed that about the desaturated blood as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #2724
    I guess "brightness" is a bit of a misnomer. I apologize for using the incorrect term. I was specifically referring to the black "levels" being crushed. I don't know all the technical details to explain it, so here's an example I threw together in Photoshop:

Left is unaltered, right is with blacks crushed to an adequate degree. I did not touch the saturation level. The difference in the color you might see is solely a result of crushing the blacks. I believe this is fairly accurate to what's displayed in the Black Mesa video. There's no real way to fix or reverse the change after the fact since crushing the black levels causes a lot of information loss in the image.

Keep in mind that in your animated image, we can see the Episode Two blood particle effect on the right side of the screen. In your desaturated screen, the blood becomes an unnaturally dull brown which we know isn't correct as seen in Episode Two and most other Orange Box-based Source mods. Hence, I still posit that the darkness is a result of the black levels being crushed and nothing more.

Yeah, usually when the black spectrum gets crushed, so does the white spectrum aswell.

Have another crushed example.

-- Non crushed.
    -- Crushed black / white.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

5. Post #2725
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,907 Posts

Yeah, I get you.

The point I was trying to make was that the video all together was messed up and unreliable for what he was looking for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #2726
    Golden Egg
    June 2010
    836 Posts
    It's supposed to be an homage to half-life. It's a reimagining of it on the source engine.
    "Homage" and "reimagining" are the key words to pay attention to. Gameplay elements can be reimagined as well! New gameplay mechanics to consider! A near-total reinterpretation of a classic game; familiar, but fresh and modern.

Black Mesa reimagines Half-Life. It is not a remake of Half-Life.

If BM was intended to be a remake, this "no iron sights" stance would make more sense. Remakes are generally expected to be faithful to the original material, for better or worse additions that aren't strictly enhancements upon the original material are often frivolous. But a remake would also mean honoring Valve's dated design decisions, including the periods of troublesome level/puzzle design, or say, the position of the eyes on the bullsquid. (Who remembers THAT argument?)

Remakes and and Reimaginings/Homages are different. HL1 isn't some holy grail, immune to being tampered with. You guys gotta accept that things are going to be changed, and try to be open-minded about such changes. Who knows, you might even LIKE the changes!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 22Agree Agree x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #2727
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    I agree with 3noneTwo here, what he said basically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree x 2Artistic x 2Disagree x 1Informative x 1Friendly x 1Funny x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #2728
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    I agree with 3noneTwo here, what he said basically.
    That's what the green checkmark is for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 9Funny x 4Zing x 2Late x 1Informative x 1Useful x 1Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #2729
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,070 Posts
    Also keep in mind that the gameplay video shows that shooting is literally exactly the same as the original game WITHOUT using the iron sights (none of the whole super-inaccurate-unless-aiming-down-sights-COD-stuff), so it's not like the game is forcing you to use them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #2730
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    Just more evidence to support that the devs have no idea who they are making this mod for.
    Perhaps you're wrong and they know exactly who they're making the mod for and you're just upset that they're not making it for picky elitist douchebags.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #2731
    June 2012
    1,563 Posts
    I watched the gameplay trailer earlier, seems cool.
    Not a big fan of iron sights, I'm not going to use them. Also I'm glad the maps aren't carbon copies, I just did a hl1/opfor and a quarter of blue shift replay recently and it'd feel really samey

I'm looking forward to walking around black mesa before shit hits the fan, fuck those scientists man, they didn't even want to know you before the experiment, and now all they want is for you to save their asses

Edited:

also for people bitching about voice acting
    fuck yall, nit pickers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #2732
    June 2011
    2,962 Posts
    If the player wouldn't have used the zoom function of the .357 I bet the feedback would be a lot more positive.

Apart from the voice acting of course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

13. Post #2733
    Do I look like I speak squirrel?
    November 2010
    2,278 Posts
    The video ends with the PA system saying "20 seconds remaining until launch."
    OrderOfDagon posted:
    Exactly -- what's 20 seconds in Valve Time? Anyone here an accountant?

So the video says the launch is in 20 seconds, and the video publisher's name is Valve time.
    So let's measure it in Valve time:

According to this chart -if you click on the full link- "any minute now" is translated into 5 days Valve time.
    Considering 20 seconds is approximately a third of a minute, a third of 5 days would be have to be measured in hours; five days is 120 hours.

So a third of 120 hours is 40, which means... the mod will be released in 40 hours!

Pack your bags, bitches!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Thailand Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 11Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2734
    June 2008
    485 Posts
    The video ends with the PA system saying "20 seconds remaining until launch."
    I want to believe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #2735
    June 2011
    2,962 Posts
    It's pretty damn impressive what they have done considering that they aren't professionals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #2736
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,153 Posts
    It's pretty damn impressive what they have done considering that they aren't professionals.
    What makes someone a professional? Game developers have always been psychiatrists, engineers, pizza delivery guys etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

17. Post #2737
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,489 Posts
    I just want this finished goddamn it. I honestly couldn't care less if what I saw in the video got released right now. At least it'll give me hope that something that is supposed to come out in Two Thousand Never actually came out and maybe Ep. 3 will too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

18. Post #2738
    June 2012
    1,563 Posts
    I must be the only one who doesn't give a fuck about ep3
    I just don't really see the big obsession with the hl series, I liked the first one, and I like opfor, but I didn't really like hl2 or it's episodes

Edited:

well I mean the gameplay was good but it just wasn't what I was looking for really
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2739
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,351 Posts
    While i am looking forward to this mod and will definitely play it, lots of little things annoy me about it. Mostly the devs attitude towards it and all the stupid changes they keep making. Things like removing the Radio-filter from Grunts, making the announcer less Robotic, changing the turret completely, making the alien grunt look nothing like the original, moving the eyes of the Bullsquid, making Black Mesa seem like a really high-tech, safe, well-maintained place to work etc.

They are all little things but some of them change the feel of the game, like they think they know what fits half-life better than Valve. There was no point changing them. I understand it's a re-imagining and not a recreation but they were fine as they were, they should stick as close to 'canon' as possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #2740

April 2011
    302 Posts
    Yeah, they said "we will stay FAITHFUL to HL, we won't add Vance, baby Alyx, Shephard, Combine references, etc..." in a word they don't want to make an HL remake "self-conscious" of Gearbox extensions and what happen in HL2 (and what was retconned such as putting Magnusson in the same room as the microwave casserole),

but dafuq with all these gameplay changes. I'm sorry but that damn ironsight it's so Call of Duty-like, that's just dumb.

Dammit, if they're going to do so many changes, they could really add everybody character which fits in the canon story, even from mod's (oh hi Declan Walker, oh hi Just Barney, oh hi Gordon McGinley...).

Of course the mod looks pretty and all, but I've a really weird feeling about that "we won't change anything of what Valve did" optic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17 (list)

21. Post #2741
    June 2011
    2,962 Posts
    Vance and Kleiner are the only ones who appear in the game. Magnusson doesn't, aswell as Alyx and Shephard.
    This is a reimagination of Half Life, not a 1:1 remake.
    Yes they are making many changes but almost all of them can be turned off, they are optional. That's why they made a submenu called "Game Options".
    The .357 is the only one with the iron sights.

recent:

Nothing was cancelled as a result of "community backlash". Our plans have changed recently, but those changes had nothing to do with people complaining about Facebook or Twitter, or us releasing screenshots instead of the game. We're not reading too much into any negativity that may have been generated, and we're not giving up because someone on the internet said something mean about us. I think there's just been a miscommunication somewhere at some point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #2742
    June 2012
    1,563 Posts
    Vance and Kleiner are the only ones who should appear in the game
    Alyx isn't even born by then, or perhaps she is I dunno and if she was she'd be like 3 or whatever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

23. Post #2743
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,351 Posts
    Vance and Kleiner are the only ones who should appear in the game
    Alyx isn't even born by then, or perhaps she is I dunno and if she was she'd be like 3 or whatever
    A photo of Azian and Alyx was the only thing Eli managed to escape Black Mesa with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

24. Post #2744
    June 2011
    2,962 Posts
    Raminator clears things up:

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/sh...&postcount=164

Raminator posted:
    There have been too many posts for me to reply to individually, but I'll go over the basic points I've seen crop up a bunch of times. I'll try to address everything as transparently as I can, because there's a lot of misinformation floating around.

Is this a leak? Was it released intentionally?

We had always been planning to release gameplay video(s) as part of the social media campaign, and we'd always hinted as such. Unfortunately, we ran into some difficulties while we were wrapping up the build (including several severe FPS drops and crashes) that delayed our plans for the media campaign and any gameplay videos. Once we got those sorted, we started to try to figure out what we could show off; the video that was posted to YouTube was a rough first cut outlining some possible action.
    Someone showed someone else something they shouldn't have, and that someone else decided to share that something with the internet. And here we are today. Bottom line is that sooner or later, you were going to see what you saw; that's why we haven't tried to cover everything up or get it taken down. There's no conspiracy, we don't have any ulterior motives.

How old is the build of the game?

The build featured in the video is between four and five weeks old. The art assets, level design, lighting, sound effects and music, voice acting, weapons, gameplay mechanics, etc. are all basically final. You won't be seeing very many changes between what's in the video and what's in the final product.

Is the music actually in-game?

The music in the second half in the video is the actual song from the level, it hasn't been overlaid afterwards. It syncs up well with the action because it's been designed to; the song was specifically written for this area. The audio quality of the YouTube video doesn't do it justice though, and it sounds like the game's music volume was turned up too high while the video was recorded.

Why are there iron-sights in the game?

You can look down the sights of the .357 for a slight zoom and increase in accuracy at the expense of your rate of fire. It was a mechanic that was present in Half-Life: Deathmatch, but we've brought it into the singleplayer to help solidify the weapon's role. We've added an option to the main menu to completely disable that functionality, as a result of the feedback we've received from the video.

The .357 and crossbow are the only weapons that you can use the sights on, and they're for decent gameplay reasons. We aren't casualising or consolifying the mod; you don't have regenerating health, there aren't chest-high walls, you won't get strawberry jam on the screen when you're hurt, etc.

Why does everything look like crap?

The compression YouTube applies has blurred and darkened everything, even at 720p settings. You lose a lot of stuff like the scanlines on the HUD, the stars twinkling in the sky, the moonlight illuminating the launch pad and the hologram illuminating the control bunker, any real texture detail, outdoor characters, etc. I've got the original video at 1080p, and everything looks fine.

Why is the voice acting so bad?

Everything is intentional; the soldiers are meant to sound like over-the-top movie bad guys. We're not interested in trying to get you to empathise with the enemies.

Will this affect the plans for further media or the release?

It has, we're actually going to be moving some things forward. Time has never been on our side.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 23Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

25. Post #2745

April 2011
    302 Posts
    How old is the build of the game?
    The build featured in the video is between four and five weeks old
    Lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 25Funny Funny x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #2746
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    We've added an option to the main menu to completely disable that functionality, as a result of the feedback we've received from the video.
    NOW EVERYONE CAN BE HAPPY.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #2747
    September 2009
    3,730 Posts
    So thats what they're showing off? Im not really complaining I loved what I saw, just...not what I heard. Mainly the vanilla Hl2 sound files they said they replaced.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #2748
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    So thats what they're showing off? Im not really complaining I loved what I saw, just...not what I heard. Mainly the vanilla Hl2 sound files they said they replaced.
    no, that's a rough draft of what they were planning to show off. also, why would they record a door being opened if they already have it? do you think that would sound different? should metal on metal be different? they replaced a SHITLOAD of vanilla hl2 files. they just didn't replace the ones that didn't need replacing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #2749

May 2010
    161 Posts
    I'm not sure if the bad voice acting will help me to hate the enemy...I thought there are other ways how to achieve this, instead of rly bad voice acting...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

30. Post #2750
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,351 Posts
    Everything is intentional; the soldiers are meant to sound like over-the-top movie bad guys. We're not interested in trying to get you to empathise with the enemies.
    Things like this annoy me about the Mod. They aren't supposed to be like over-the-top movie bad guys. The dev team think they know best and everything they do is perfect. They don't seem to care about staying true to the original game or listening to the community much.

I am not saying the entire mod is going to be bad, i will enjoy it. There's just lots of little things that i don't like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 6Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #2751
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    They don't seem to care about staying true to the original game or listening to the loud militant members of the community much.
    FTFY.

Most people don't give a damn what shape the turret is or where the bullsquid's eyes are or whether freeman is listening to the marines speaking or if he's somehow hacked into their radio broadcasts.

In any case, the marines do sound like over-the-top movie bad guys.
    Why don't you have another listen?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 20Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #2752
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,351 Posts
    FTFY.

Most people don't give a damn what shape the turret is or where the bullsquid's eyes are or whether freeman is listening to the marines speaking or if he's somehow hacked into their radio broadcasts.

In any case, the marines do sound like over-the-top movie bad guys.
    Why don't you have another listen?
    They don't sound like over-the-top movie bad guys to me. At least not to the level of BMS. They should stay close to the original game/canon and not change things pointlessly when they were fine before. The "loud militant members of the community" are just the ones who don't want the dev team to make stupid changes that no one wants.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree x 13Agree x 8Dumb x 2Funny x 2Zing x 1 (list)

33. Post #2753
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    They don't sound like over-the-top movie bad guys to me. At least not to the level of BMS.
    Then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that because they sound ridiculous to my ears. Especially when they get to the Ms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #2754
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,666 Posts
    If you guys don't like the new voices, you could wait for someone to create a addon that replaces Gay Solid Snake with Radio Chatter Gruff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #2755
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,838 Posts
    I actually like this decision, it might just be me but I love cheesy OTT bad guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #2756
    June 2012
    1,563 Posts
    To be perfectly honest I don't care what the bullsquid looks like, or the turrets, or the magnum
    but I'm dissapointed about how the marines sound if that's them. The HECU are my favourite part of HL1, they're integral
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #2757
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    They should stay close to the original game/canon and not change things pointlessly when they were fine before.
    They haven't changed anything because there's nothing existing to change. It's not like they could have imported the previous voice acting into their game. They've over-exagerated a couple of aspects while making the new version but that's just artistic flair. You're treating this like it's a perfect HD recreation of the holy grail of games that is Half Life when it's totally not that.
    It's a bunch of people's interpretation of what half life might have been like if made today.
    If you can't take that this means they're going to change things, you probably should get out of the kitchen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #2758
    June 2012
    1,563 Posts
    I don't really care too much it'll still be fun
    people worry too much
    is this going to be free or am I going to have to steal it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #2759
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    63,452 Posts
    The song sucked, the voice acting sucked, but the rest of it looked really good. Like, I'm not gonna lie when I see bad shit in the game, if it's bad it's bad. But I also think pretty much anything is forgivable considering it's a MOD being made for FREE. Will happily accept and forgive some bad shit in it. Besides, most of it looked pretty good. It looks really fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 20Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #2760
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,351 Posts
    They haven't changed anything because there's nothing existing to change. It's not like they could have imported the previous voice acting into their game. They've over-exagerated a couple of aspects while making the new version but that's just artistic flair. You're treating this like it's a perfect HD recreation of the holy grail of games that is Half Life when it's totally not that.
    It's a bunch of people's interpretation of what half life might have been like if made today.
    If you can't take that this means they're going to change things, you probably should get out of the kitchen.
    The site says "Black Mesa is a complete re-creation of the game Half-Life, utilizing the Source engine. Black Mesa will let you re-visit the world that started the Half-Life continuum."

It says it's a re-creation, although that doesn't seem to be what it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)