1. Post #321

April 2011
    231 Posts
    Hey, maybe the Great List of Those Mods changing from Free to Retail will expand with Black Mesa, who know. 3 Source Mods in less than a year have chosen to become "indie" softs,
    namely Dino D-Day chosing to "kill" his promising SP mode to focus on a retail MP mode (which nobody plays around any more)
    and the "art mod" Dear Esther who chose to make you pay to get bored,
    and finally, recently, Ivan's Secrets, who made it from Source to Alien Swarm to... CryEngine... But I'm more comprehensive about him because the developer stated clearly that he wants to make his first steps in the "true" gaming industry with his soft... (even if I still thinks he will completly alienate his fanbase by choosing to port a "free" game into "retail")...

How much time before BMS developers completly snap and sell their 69,99 $ "mod" on indiedb, huh...

Talk me about how greed is good, Richard Gecko.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #322
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,833 Posts
    Ivan's Secrets, who made it from Source to Alien Swarm to... CryEngine... But I'm more comprehensive about him because the developer stated clearly that he wants to make his first steps in the "true" gaming industry with his soft... (even if I still thinks he will completly alienate his fanbase by choosing to port a "free" game into "retail")...
    what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #323

April 2011
    231 Posts
    Uh, oh yes, you didn't know that I guess. Jlea has posted it on the mod's moddb page, and it is a full article on planetphillip.

Yes, now you can call yourself ButtHurtED...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #324
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,593 Posts
    Uh, oh yes, you didn't know that I guess. Jlea has posted it on the mod's moddb page, and it is a full article on planetphillip.

what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

5. Post #325
    I wish I had a tentacle hand. Japan would pay billions for some real-life tentacles.
    February 2009
    4,535 Posts

Well that was random. Anyways, I don't see BM becoming not-free. They've said that it would be free for 6 years now, and that it wouldn't change. They know they're losing fans due to the extremely long wait, they won't try to lose more by asking for money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #326

April 2011
    231 Posts
    Don't you find a bit strange why there is no more Ivan's secrets topic anymore?

Well, have a guess, I understand the moderators and Jlea didn't want to have 100 page of insult-trollage garbage. But that's the way it is.

Moreover, this is the fourth mod going retail, if I count the PHANTASM mod for Doom 3, which is now developed into a full game.

I don't know if all those Minecraft/Limbo/other indies' success has completly mindf*cked many people, but it seems some people want to have a part of the money cake... Sigh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16 (list)

7. Post #327
    I wish I had a tentacle hand. Japan would pay billions for some real-life tentacles.
    February 2009
    4,535 Posts

Well, have a guess, I understand the moderators and Jlea didn't want to have 100 page of insult-trollage garbage. But that's the way it is.

Moreover, this is the fourth mod going retail, if I count the PHANTASM mod for Doom 3, which is now developed into a full game.

I don't know if all those Minecraft/Limbo/other indies' success has completly mindf*cked many people, but it seems some people want to have a part of the money cake... Sigh.
    BM website posted:
    IS IT REALLY FREE?

Black Mesa is a free modification; The developers will never charge you for playing mainly because we wouldn't want to make people pay to play, but also because it would be illegal to do so. As long as you have a copy of any source engine game on steam, Black Mesa will cost you nothing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Zing Zing x 2 (list)

8. Post #328
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts

i'm just picturing you as the conspiracy theorist and everyone else citizens that are completely confused at your statements
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

9. Post #329
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,833 Posts

youre about as full of sources as to how my ex girlfriend is anorexic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Informative Informative x 2 (list)

10. Post #330
    May 2011
    1,914 Posts
    youre about as full of sources as to how my ex girlfriend is anorexic
    JLea commented on the Ivan's Secrets' ModDB page, and it looks like sarevokh is right. Ivan's Secrets is being released as an indie title on CryEngine 3.

I don't think that Black Mesa will go down the same route, seeing how they're basing their mod off of Valve's plot and story. Only way I could see it potentially happening is if Valve contacts them, but the developers have already denied any rumors of that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #331
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    this mod died for me in 2009
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #332
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,909 Posts
    oh boy 200+ posts i wonder if it's releas-NOPE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Late Late x 1 (list)

13. Post #333
    April 2007
    259 Posts
    God damn I see so many of these posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

14. Post #334
    February 2009
    4,535 Posts
    Wow a new post I wonder if it doesn't contain the same joke that ha been made 200+ times befo-NOPE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #335
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,159 Posts
    I thought that IS just died
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #336

April 2011
    231 Posts
    I wonder also what's the point of doing a remake of Half-Life 1 without adding any "new" elements from HL2.

I mean, it would have been cool to see the administrator Breen in a lab coat, a pre-level with Barney and Gordon running through the vent shafts to reach Kleiner's lab, a baby Alyx, etc etc...

I know BMS team want to stay "true" to the original (however, they're still re-designing the levels...) but it could have been "self-conscious" of HL2 elements, I mean, they could have included the retconned elements so BMS would have really been a really interesting mod which could easly remplace the original.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17 (list)

17. Post #337
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    I wonder also what's the point of doing a remake of Half-Life 1 without adding any "new" elements from HL2.

I mean, it would have been cool to see the administrator Breen in a lab coat, a pre-level with Barney and Gordon running through the vent shafts to reach Kleiner's lab, a baby Alyx, etc etc...

I know BMS team want to stay "true" to the original (however, they're still re-designing the levels...) but it could have been "self-conscious" of HL2 elements, I mean, they could have included the retconned elements so BMS would have really been a really interesting mod which could easly remplace the original.
    Black Mesa is a better version of Half-Life: Source, which is terrible.

It's supposed to be a remake, for example, it's like Hollywood's concept of rereleasing a movie 20 years later but without changing the plot and everything from the original movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

18. Post #338

January 2012
    25 Posts
    The point is to have original Half-life with pretty graphics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events

19. Post #339
    November 2010
    532 Posts
    New media from a developer's facebook:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 15Informative Informative x 3 (list)

20. Post #340
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,714 Posts

I know BMS team want to stay "true" to the original (however, they're still re-designing the levels...) but it could have been "self-conscious" of HL2 elements, I mean, they could have included the retconned elements so BMS would have really been a really interesting mod which could easly remplace (good job) the original.
    they have a younger Kleiner and Eli, happy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

21. Post #341

April 2011
    231 Posts
    To terminate this off-topic about the Ivan who has no secrets, I will just quote a former IS team :

I doubt this will be released at all, i’ve been a member of the team for awhile now, the mod was lacking in structure, most of the team were scrambling to make good assets, without clear guidelines, goals. before the mod went retail we had literally NO story planned out, no maps. no real gameplay at all, some good features, I mean, we had several versions that were scrapped, at one point jamie put loads of efforts into a co-op version of it, then scrapped it for little to no reason.

it’s a bit of a shame really, i can only hope jlea finally puts some effort into guiding the mod, getting design down before actual execution.
    See?? The modding world is slowly falling into the depths of the dark side of capitalism!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13 (list)

22. Post #342
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    God damn I see so many of these posts
    And every time one is posted, then a few people respond to it, the unread post count rises again for everyone, someone posts about how they see so many posts but it's not out yet, and then the cycle repeats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #343
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,441 Posts

mmmmmm... facebook quality jpgs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #344
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    See?? The modding world is slowly falling into the depths of the dark side of capitalism!!!
    now your starting to sound like jesse ventura or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #345
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,142 Posts

I hope the reason the textures looks like ass was from the image quality or the setting be on low.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #346
    August 2011
    1,047 Posts

Does anyone else thinks this looks like shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 36Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

27. Post #347
    Facepunch's Resident Game Center CX Expert
    November 2010
    10,912 Posts
    I blame facebook's jpeg compression
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

28. Post #348
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,833 Posts
    I blame facebook's jpeg compression
    and the horrible labcoat texture
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #349
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,747 Posts
    and the horrible labcoat texture
    Looks like the same one from half life
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

30. Post #350

April 2011
    231 Posts
    Actually, I think it's less shitty than Duke Nukem Forever.

But now, judging by the quality, I know this won't ever go retail, what a relieve, EH???!!!???

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling / Shitposting. STOP" - Swebonny))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24 (list)

31. Post #351
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,554 Posts

But now, judging by the quality, I know this won't ever go retail, what a relieve, EH???!!!???
    You are not a good troll, you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

32. Post #352
    August 2011
    1,047 Posts
    I mean the background textures honestly aren't that bad but it looks like the gun is being held 10 feet away from the camera and the scientist looks like he's had 30 facelifts
    Also oh my jesus that desk and tie

Did anyone else notice the weird bar-like thing on the wall to the far right? Literally looks like an HL1 texture
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #353
    Do I look like I speak squirrel?
    November 2010
    2,278 Posts

The FOV looks way too high in that shot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Thailand Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #354
    October 2010
    11,810 Posts

can you just go away

either you're a troll or dumb, either way we don't need you in this thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #355
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,410 Posts
    To terminate this off-topic about the Ivan who has no secrets, I will just quote a former IS team :

That's pfoot. He was never on the team, infact he just constantly posts troll comments on anything I do.

http://www.moddb.com/members/jlea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

36. Post #356

December 2011
    1 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late x 21Funny x 7Agree x 2Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #357
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,833 Posts
    I mean the background textures honestly aren't that bad but it looks like the gun is being held 10 feet away from the camera and the scientist looks like he's had 30 facelifts
    Also oh my jesus that desk and tie

Did anyone else notice the weird bar-like thing on the wall to the far right? Literally looks like an HL1 texture
    you do realize that desk is work in progress right
    it doesnt even have a texture

Edited:

also the problem isnt with the facemaps
    its the environment - it doesnt look as gritty as it should be
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

38. Post #358
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,451 Posts
    It reminds me of that other Source mod called Operation Black Mesa where everything looked WAY too flat, clean and simpilistic and generally gave off a weird looking effect at times.

Did I mention it used HL1 textures too? It was a weirdly done mod.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Arab Emirates Show Events

39. Post #359
    July 2009
    6,005 Posts

An accurate representation of the people waiting for this mod. Tired, bored, and dieing of old age.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 40Informative Informative x 2Zing Zing x 2 (list)

40. Post #360
    June 2011
    2,943 Posts
    When I'm looking at the other screenshots they have released, months ago, this looks like shit. And this one is even new. Maybe the user took the screenshot with lower settings, because his pc couldn't handle it. It was the case at some screens from Atomic Punch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)