1. Post #1601
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    Well, I have a positive report about our "Fresh Meat".
    They are past their Sniper stage

But they entered the Engie stage.
    God help us.
    They're learning :kiddo:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #1602
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FLIES FETISH
    August 2009
    31,385 Posts

God help us.
    I might actually get good at spy now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1603
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts
    They're learning :kiddo:
    Yes, quite
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

4. Post #1604
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,252 Posts

God help us.
    At least they progressed into a more useful class.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

5. Post #1605
    April 2010
    149 Posts

are you serious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 22Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #1606
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts

are you serious
    I have heard about using stuff you like as you nickname but this is getting ridiculous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

7. Post #1607
    Thaaaat's Whyt!
    January 2012
    1,666 Posts

are you serious
    I was playing on a Saxton Hale server out of boredom, someone's name was Team Fotress 2 Fan... They sounded like the were 6 whenever they talked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

8. Post #1608
    April 2012
    45 Posts
    http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3799/fumbduck.png

I then convinced him to run around as Sniper for 5 minutes trying to thrust his Kukri into someone's spine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #1609
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,823 Posts

God help us.
    That's been around for quite a while imo. Build sentry and dispenser, 2 engis come along and build their stuff beside mine

I know they're trying to help, but I cant seem to get them to understand that, sure, the firepower against a enemy would be higher, but crowded sentries cant shoot very well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1610
    July 2010
    1,646 Posts

I then convinced him to run around as Sniper for 5 minutes trying to thrust his Kukri into someone's spine.
    When I first played I got facestabbed a lot so I always thought you could cut peoples throats or something.

ps, you can use [img] tags for pictures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #1611
    R R E R R R
    October 2009
    5,044 Posts
    My friend is not a beginner but he just joined a highlander team, curious, I joined the match that they were in and saw the entire team get demolished in a public server by random players, it was kinda sad...
    all those =(HOT)= clan tags showing up on the wrong side of the kill feed.
    In other news I leveled up my stranges a lot that match!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #1612
    January 2012
    1,297 Posts
    Earlier today... At the end of the final stage of Thunder Mountain.

Server regular on RED: "Nobody's out there around the cart!"

Little kid on RED: "There was a cart!? What cart?!"

He played the whole 3 rounds with us...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 27Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #1613
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,329 Posts
    I honestly feel bad for players who are BRAND new to the game, the ones that I wind up killing over and over and over again as a spy.

I don't want to discourage them into quitting the game so it gets to the point that I just leave them alone out of sympathy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 23Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #1614
    August 2010
    577 Posts
    I honestly feel bad for players who are BRAND new to the game, the ones that I wind up killing over and over and over again as a spy.

I don't want to discourage them into quitting the game so it gets to the point that I just leave them alone out of sympathy.
    You are not the only one. Sometimes i even train them how to do a airblast, rocket jump etc. Basic stuff and some tips.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #1615
    April 2012
    5,253 Posts

There's been a few times when I've tried to give new players tips. One time one of them was a girl who was trying to play medic. Me and a few others gave her a few tips and suggestions while we were all having a fairly fun round. There was some guy in chat who kept being really smarmy about it and at some point I think he called us white knights or something.

I also once met an F2P who seemed to be really enjoying himself; he was vocal, announced things he saw (Pyro's on cart, Spies, Sentries, etc), and really enjoyed playing scout. I ended up giving him a spare Ellis cap I had. Not a great hat but I figured he might enjoy something simple, reserved and all class. Hell, dude even let me know ahead of time that he was F2P and couldn't give me anything back for it.

Seriously hope that guys still playing and enjoying himself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 23Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #1616
    April 2011
    5,340 Posts
    I was playing on a Saxton Hale server out of boredom, someone's name was Team Fotress 2 Fan... They sounded like the were 6 whenever they talked.
    I've played with them, I'm sure of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #1617
    October 2010
    11,742 Posts
    So I was playing today, an obviously F2P kid is playing Heavy. He had an incredibly annoying high pitched voice (he had a mic) and would say stuff like "i'm beasting them!"

Here's one screen I got of him in chat:
    Quoted for size posted:
    And also in that same game we had one player try to figure out the console, along with our F2P pal Alley, whom I introduced before:
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/54...F6E4939EFEC4A/
    Linked because for some reason FP doesn't want to show the image
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

18. Post #1618
    Thaaaat's Whyt!
    January 2012
    1,666 Posts

Yeah, sometimes if they just got the game earlier that day i'll give them some weapons for their favorite class.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)

19. Post #1619
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    Tom : guys incoming means get ready because someones coming to get intlegence
    Cute. He also was ranting in caps lock about how one of the 600 thousand people using the oh-so-original name of Derpy Hooves used to be on his friends list, which they weren't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #1620
    June 2010
    5,541 Posts
    Cute. He also was ranting in caps lock about how one of the 600 thousand people using the oh-so-original name of Derpy Hooves used to be on his friends list, which they weren't.
    I bloody hate when people name themselves after characters from various sources, it's the pinnacle of unoriginality and isn't a good way to go on about showing that you like something.

It's like if I named myself "M9 Service Beretta" or "Gordon Freeman" or "Marty Stu".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #1621
    Want an apple?
    October 2010
    2,810 Posts
    I bloody hate when people name themselves after characters from various sources, it's the pinnacle of unoriginality and isn't a good way to go on about showing that you like something.

It's like if I named myself "M9 Service Beretta" or "Gordon Freeman" or "Marty Stu".
    As far as I've come to understand, the point of usernames are that they represent your online identity and your interests that had some sort of impact at that time, it might stick to the individual like my username did, but it's just as hard to find original names online as it is in the real world.

It's hard to be original in our current time of age - that comes to anything right from making music or other art to originality in cosmetic loadouts in TF2. I can only agree that having so many people named after their current fandom is just really annoying, but with the internet being such a huge source that it is, it's just not gonna change, ever.

(My username(s) are base around my middle name "Stofberg", and it have just stuck with me since I was a kid. Always been known as Stofberg, Stof or Stoffy.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

22. Post #1622
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    As far as I've come to understand, the point of usernames are that they represent your online identity and your interests or had some sort of impact at that time, it might stick to the individual like my username did, but it's just as hard to find original names online as it is in the real world.

It's hard to be original in our current time of age - that comes to anything right from making music or other art to originality in cosmetic loadouts in TF2. I can only agree that having so many people named after their current fandom is just really annoying, but with the internet being such a huge source that it is, it's just not gonna change, ever.
    Geez, I change my username every other week or month, normally. I've gotta force myself to stick to something for more than that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1623
    THE GRINCH WHO STOLE COSMETICS
    Dennab
    August 2011
    5,740 Posts

That's why you reference something obscure enough to seem very unique.

See: Kilroy.

24. Post #1624
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts
    As far as I've come to understand, the point of usernames are that they represent your online identity and your interests that had some sort of impact at that time, it might stick to the individual like my username did, but it's just as hard to find original names online as it is in the real world.

I came up with my nick in 2 seconds. It's not hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events

25. Post #1625
    April 2011
    7,746 Posts

My nickname is a play on my real name, my sister came up with it when we were kids, and it's a huge part of my identity since then, like my third name. My friends call me Drury too, and I wouldn't ever use any other nickname on the interwebz.

Moral of the story: If you're out of ideas, ask my sister. Just don't be Gordon Freeman #9999
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Slovakia Show Events

26. Post #1626
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    1,874 Posts
    Using names from their fandom to me seems more common among bronies than any other group.
    But it doesn't really annoy me, even though it gets a bit silly if there's 3 Rainbow Dashes on the same server.

But on-topic, a sadly rare event happened yesterday: someone politely told a newbie engie how to turn his teleporters around, and the engie replied with a "Thanks, couldn't figure that out"

No "go back2cod"
    No "press F10"

Just someone answering a question.
    It's sad when something as basic as that is borderline rare.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #1627
    June 2010
    5,541 Posts
    I don't play on F2P populated servers often if at all, but if I do, I'll probably gladly assist people like that who want to know how the ropes work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

28. Post #1628
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    11,726 Posts
    Geez, I change my username every other week or month, normally. I've gotta force myself to stick to something for more than that.
    I didn't even come up with my own name, my very first name was "Mysticscout" (Scout was my favorite class when I began, and Mystic Gohan was the character I liked most in DBZ).
    After that, I named myself "Kirby gosht" (I didn't know how to spell ghost back then.)
    And then someone said "You should name yourself Kirbyfactor"

And so I did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

29. Post #1629
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts
    Using names from their fandom to me seems more common among bronies than any other group.
    But it doesn't really annoy me, even though it gets a bit silly if there's 3 Rainbow Dashes on the same server.
    I knew a guy, he had a cool nick.

Then he became a brony.

Hello Rainbow Day, how are you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #1630
    June 2010
    777 Posts
    6 Fluttershy. My own record.
    And 3 of them sounded like they're 6 year old, or something...
    I am ashamed D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

31. Post #1631
    March 2009
    461 Posts
    6 Fluttershy. My own record.
    And 3 of them sounded like they're 6 year old, or something...
    I am ashamed D:
    I once ran into an entire team with the whole main cast.

Kinda funny though because once i brought it up, some of them talked over the mic and tried doing impersonations. Not very good ones, but funny still.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

32. Post #1632
    June 2010
    777 Posts
    I once ran into an entire team with the whole main cast.

Kinda funny though because once i brought it up, some of them talked over the mic and tried doing impersonations. Not very good ones, but funny still.
    Well, they were a team, right? That's the whole point of the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1633
    September 2011
    1,108 Posts
    I recall when I was new to the game, about two years ago or something, I was an unstoppable name-changing machine. I would change it twice every fucking day. Clearly something was wrong with me. I was an annoying fuckball who did not learn for a long time that people who are friends with you hate that shit.

However, I once changed my name to Private Sprinkle Toast and kept it that way for months. I changed it just once more recently, to Spherithex. Probably not gonna change again in a while.

Looking back on it, I fucking hate myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1634
    March 2009
    461 Posts
    Well, they were a team, right? That's the whole point of the game.
    They were for a while, but then one was autobalanced. They got a bit upset.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

35. Post #1635
    January 2010
    5,095 Posts
    Even when I was a kid, playing Halo PC and shit, I kept to the same name for the most part, and I have since in my ramblings across the internet. I do remember, however, joining a clan early on that got me into the habit of inserting special characters like accents and symbols into my name. I didn't do it too heavily, but looking back it must have been annoying as fuck.
    I usually keep the same name and avatar in places for a long time until I find something that I really want to replace them with; I changed mine just recently because there are a large number of bronies in the servers I frequent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #1636
    Thaaaat's Whyt!
    January 2012
    1,666 Posts
    I recall when I was new to the game, about two years ago or something, I was an unstoppable name-changing machine. I would change it twice every fucking day. Clearly something was wrong with me. I was an annoying fuckball who did not learn for a long time that people who are friends with you hate that shit.

However, I once changed my name to Private Sprinkle Toast and kept it that way for months. I changed it just once more recently, to Spherithex. Probably not gonna change again in a while.

Looking back on it, I fucking hate myself.
    I did the exact opposite. Since I first got steam back in early '07, i've always kept it as Whyt or Whyt546. (except for when I change it as a joke or something)

37. Post #1637
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,213 Posts
    I was an unstoppable name-changing machine ... people who are friends with you hate that shit.
    christ, I'm glad someone's smart enough to know that

I swear, more often than not when I look through my friends list I won't recognise half the names
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

38. Post #1638
    August 2010
    577 Posts
    christ, I'm glad someone's smart enough to know that

I swear, more often than not when I look through my friends list I won't recognise half the names
    Thankfully there is a View Aliases to see what were their previous names
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

39. Post #1639
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,213 Posts
    Thankfully there is a View Aliases to see what were their previous names
    While that's true it's not a great solution, if there's any more than a couple of names you don't recognise it takes too long or if the person is a name changing whore then you might not even see a name you recognise because of all the changes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #1640
    June 2011
    747 Posts
    Ladies and gentlemen, today I saw something I never thought I would see.
    It was Dustbowl, stage one, RED were turtling to hell and back (since it was Dustbowl) and the match was taking forever (since it was Dustbowl) so I decided to go Medic and try to get an uber out.
    I sat in the uber nursery that is the tunnel to the left of the point, waiting for my uber to build up, and stuck to a Demo to try to take out the sentries with a charge.
    Well, you see, RED engy #3 had a particular way of setting up his nest, the sentry was laying directly inside the building so he covered only the exit of the down-stairs from the tunnel, and the outside. And, his teleporter was on the opposite corner of the room, where the small medkit is, I suppose so that BLU would not see it.
    Anyways, I charged up my uber completely, rolled out with that Demo who correctly went down the stairs, and I watched him as he missed a couple of pipes due to knockback. So with half uber remaining, he decided to relaxedly let the sentry fire push him against the wall and lay down stickies at the sentry's feet like nothing was happening. Well, you see, the Sentry happened to push him directly on top of the RED teleporter.
    That's right: I was the one Medic to witness his uber patient get telefragged by a Sniper. A Demo managed to get killed in a small space while completely invulnerable. I don't think the Sniper even realized what he just did, or if the Demo understood what happened. It even took me a second to process it.
    We lost the round because I spent the remaining 3 minutes laughing my ass off in spawn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 27Winner Winner x 6 (list)