1. Post #1641
    June 2010
    5,667 Posts
    Spies can use telefrag for their advantage. You see, many engies are dumb enough to stand ON the teleporter while removing the sapper instead of NEXT TO IT, so the spy can place a sapper on the tele entrance, step on it, standing on the entrance and wait for the engie to remove the sapper, teleporting the Spy and killing the Engie standing on the tele in the process and then proceeding to sap the ex-engie's shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #1642
    June 2009
    634 Posts
    I honestly feel bad for players who are BRAND new to the game, the ones that I wind up killing over and over and over again as a spy.

I don't want to discourage them into quitting the game so it gets to the point that I just leave them alone out of sympathy.
    I've been there too. On one doublecross game I avoided killing a new player (it was his first match) because I wanted his experience to be enjoyable. If he were playing with people who did nothing but beat him he might feel discouraged from playing. :c

I remember when I first started playing I was a complete dumbass. My aim was balls and I wouldn't strafe when using the shotgun. I'd just run directly at my enemy while shooting. Eventually I began to question the wisdom of this strategy and revised it accordingly.
    I recall when I was new to the game, about two years ago or something, I was an unstoppable name-changing machine. I would change it twice every fucking day. Clearly something was wrong with me. I was an annoying fuckball who did not learn for a long time that people who are friends with you hate that shit.

However, I once changed my name to Private Sprinkle Toast and kept it that way for months. I changed it just once more recently, to Spherithex. Probably not gonna change again in a while.

Looking back on it, I fucking hate myself.
    I had a series of names myself before just settling on Lord Twinkle. People usually misread it as Lord Twinkie though.

Can't say I mind though.

I've done a bunch of name-changes within a day once. There used to be a glitch where a Medic with the amputator could heal people, and then disconnect from the server, and anyone he was healing with the taunt while he left would have regenerating health. I kept coming back to the server under a new name to heal a friend because the healing stacked (on an incredibly obnoxious 24/7 2fort server with a rude community) and I had a different name every time as to not arouse suspicion. It would change from HOT STICKY FLUIDS to narutoXsasuke556 and all sorts of other horrible things/inside jokes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1643
    June 2011
    747 Posts
    Spies can use telefrag for their advantage. You see, many engies are dumb enough to stand ON the teleporter while removing the sapper instead of NEXT TO IT, so the spy can place a sapper on the tele entrance, step on it, standing on the entrance and wait for the engie to remove the sapper, teleporting the Spy and killing the Engie standing on the tele in the process and then proceeding to sap the ex-engie's shit.
    I never thought I would have to see an ubered demo get telefragged, though. You know, by the other team's teleporter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #1644
    September 2011
    670 Posts
    I went with the same name as my FP account, until I chose a fake clan and username based on one of my favorite games. And if anyone can honestly name that game without looking it up, I love you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

5. Post #1645
    August 2009
    689 Posts
    My username is pretty original (I've googled it several times, all the results lead to me). It's not very creative, though: It's my just IRL nickname (real name William, of course) with 2600 from the Atari 2600 slapped on the end.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1646
    June 2011
    747 Posts
    I am a 9600 bauds modem
    Why are we talking about usernames, though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

7. Post #1647
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts
    I went with the same name as my FP account, until I chose a fake clan and username based on one of my favorite games. And if anyone can honestly name that game without looking it up, I love you.
    Fake clan- the only way I will ever be able to get in one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 5Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #1648
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,252 Posts
    I ounce had a spy sapping my teleporter entrance. I walk on over to the tele to unsap it because whenever I unsapped the exit and repaired it, he'd come right back to the entrance and sap it again. I see him just as he saps my tele again and I try to whack him with my wrench. He starts trying to stab me though, so his disguise is dropped. Then, while mindlessly flailing my wrench around, I manage to unsap my tele as he was standing on it. He was teleported, undisguised, right into the line of sight of my sentry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Winner Winner x 16 (list)

9. Post #1649
    June 2011
    583 Posts
    I ounce had a spy sapping my teleporter entrance. I walk on over to the tele to unsap it because whenever I unsapped the exit and repaired it, he'd come right back to the entrance and sap it again. I see him just as he saps my tele again and I try to whack him with my wrench. He starts trying to stab me though, so his disguise is dropped. Then, while mindlessly flailing my wrench around, I manage to unsap my tele as he was standing on it. He was teleported, undisguised, right into the line of sight of my sentry.
    I will not make a *puts on sunglasses* joke, even though it seems like a goot ime for one. Too damn cliché. But yeah. Silly spy.

I telefrag even good engies. The thing is, the radius in which the telefrag does damage is rather large. To be outside of it, you have to know the exact edge of the wrench's repair range. It's very precise. However most new engies will find a tiny corner, stand on their tele, and surround themselves with a sentry and dispenser, and lock themselves in not knowing that I can jump on their head and stab them, or telefrag them. The other thing is for a new engy to stand between their sentry and dispenser. You decloak, stand up, undisguise, and it will shoot them while trying to shoot you through the dispenser. Re-disguise, and proceed to sap their shit and watch them ragequit engineer and switch to W+M1 spycheck pyro. That's when I relent and wait for them to switch to engy again, then I proceed to make them rage more for LOLZ. Best done on alltalk servers.

I will admit I'm very harsh on new players. No offense to any F2Ps here, it's just my playstyle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

10. Post #1650
    Slayer of long titles
    March 2011
    1,373 Posts
    I thought spies couldn't teleport if they're not disguised.
    Can they?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events

11. Post #1651
    July 2011
    3,279 Posts
    I thought spies couldn't teleport if they're not disguised.
    Can they?
    They can. It doesn't happen so often because it's a pretty stupid move for a Spy, also common sense would tell you that it probably doesn't work that way, but Spies can take any team's teleporter, disguised or not.

You can also take enemy teleports while disguised as someone from your own team. It's a lot of fun, confuses the heck out of people when they get telefragged by an enemy via a friendly teleporter, even better if it was the teleporter they built.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 6Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #1652
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,374 Posts
    I had a friend who once formed a TF2 clan called "Dynasty". He had played 3 days and then decided we should go comp. We formed a bunch of 6 people, with one of them being a pub player who happened to be the younger brother of another clanmate. Since my connection was shit, I never joined the only match we only got.

They got stomped. Hard. Towards the end of the match, the clanmates were calling each other fags and any insult they could come up with, the kid took the wrong classes on wrong situations, it was the most horrible thing I've heard from my friends.

You can also take enemy teleports while disguised as someone from your own team
    Holy shit, really? I've got to try this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #1653
    July 2011
    3,279 Posts
    Holy shit, really? I've got to try this.
    Yep, discovered that was possible when I got telefragged by a 'friendly' Soldier on my own teleport
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #1654
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FLIES FETISH
    August 2009
    31,549 Posts
    I do this a lot.

It's fun as fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1655
    January 2010
    5,329 Posts
    Ok, I don't get this: I'm by no means a new player, but I don't really... explore alternate modes of playing, I guess. Aside from when I get weapons that necessitate a change in play style, anyway. But what's all this about W+M1 pyros? Is there a button layout that's superior to the pyro default?

Edit: I don't understand how this is funny! I must know what is better than W+M1!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 2 (list)

16. Post #1656
    October 2010
    5,289 Posts
    I came across a F2P heavy exploring the map yesterday.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)

17. Post #1657
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    963 Posts
    I remember and how I first got my username. I was bored as fuck and decided I needed a catchy name which stuck with me, so I figured "Well, flowers and most plants have some pretty interesting names, so why not chose one of those?" I quickly looked up a big list of all known flowers and found one which I found to be pretty and catchy: Primrose. This was about 2 years ago and I had never even heard of the Hunger Games. I've still yet to even read yet all I know is there's some girl in it with the name Primrose.

To this day I refuse to change my name; no matter how many times someone goes "lol. Primrose, hunger games much?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #1658
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    6,205 Posts
    I remember and how I first got my username. I was bored as fuck and decided I needed a catchy name which stuck with me, so I figured "Well, flowers and most plants have some pretty interesting names, so why not chose one of those?" I quickly looked up a big list of all known flowers and found one which I found to be pretty and catchy: Primrose. This was about 2 years ago and I had never even heard of the Hunger Games. I've still yet to even read yet all I know is there's some girl in it with the name Primrose.

To this day I refuse to change my name; no matter how many times someone goes "lol. Primrose, hunger games much?"
    why would they care?
    youre just that one more random user
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Zing Zing x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1659
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,252 Posts

Well, if you don't plan to read the books, it's interesting to note the following spoiler.    Prim dies a horrible tragic death in the last book. It was the worst book in the series anyway and I practically skim-read it so I can say I read it.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #1660
    Well, if you don't plan to read the books, it's interesting to note the following spoiler.    Prim dies a horrible tragic death in the last book. It was the worst book in the series anyway and I practically skim-read it so I can say I read it.   
    Yes, god the last book was horrible. Just a cop-out. Kill everyone important and have an anticlimactic ending.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #1661
    July 2010
    4,096 Posts
    my steam name started from one i'd prefer not to say due to it being extremely dumb and the fact that if you search it on google you come up with all this terrible shit i signed up for

then i was on an earthbound kick back in 2010 so i changed it to "mashroomized" which was a typo that was made in the game (it was supposed to be mushroomized i assume) then one of my friends said "your name should be just shroom" so i changed it to shroom

then about 6 months back someone called me "shrome" instead of shroom, a typo i guess, then i ended up changing my name to that since it's more ~unique~

there's the story of my name have a merry day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #1662
    July 2011
    3,279 Posts
    My initials are Baz, so I generally go by some variation of that around the net. Though I'm currently Mudkip Maestro on Steam, a friend called me that during a fancy text message conversation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

23. Post #1663
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,374 Posts
    My original Steam name is the same as my Facepunch account name. It was based on a Disney show.

Then I changed it to a nickname my friends seemed to have come up with.

It's my real name with no vocals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

24. Post #1664
    June 2010
    960 Posts
    Funniest quotes from the "Fresh Meat" v3: "How i got my nickname"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

25. Post #1665
    Want an apple?
    October 2010
    2,910 Posts
    Funniest quotes from the "Fresh Meat" v3: "How i got my nickname"
    After starting this off topic discussion by accident, I actually made a thread in Fast Threads. It's pretty interesting to hear about people's past - at least I think so. Anyways...

On a Valve server yesterday, I dominated 3 people, defended the Intelligence twice and made a guy ragequit from playing Sticky Jumper Demoman with the Boot-Legger and Frying Pan on 2fort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

26. Post #1666
    August 2010
    589 Posts
    I have just killed a Scout with Market Gardener while both of us were in mid air. I've rocket jumped while he doube jumped from the roof. His reaction:

I am not even arabian
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

27. Post #1667
    R R E R R R
    October 2009
    5,236 Posts
    Pff, you and your names. I have a designation instead.
    Haven't regretted it in the past decade.

Someone's uber was... disappointing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

28. Post #1668
    June 2009
    634 Posts
    An Engineer built his sentry next to mine. I asked him to move it and this was his response.

He timed out before I could even ask what the hell that meant.

EDIT TIME:
    After doing some research (googling), I have learned that the "Dompteur" is the Wrangler's French name. I'm sure a lot of people here knew that, but I didn't. I guess this guy didn't know the English name for it. Still an odd thing to alert people to.
    Another one:

This obgiviteve is our top priority.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #1669
    R R E R R R
    October 2009
    5,236 Posts
    An Engineer built his sentry next to mine. I asked him to move it and this was his response.

Another one:

Dompteur is french for the wrangler.

fuck your edit time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #1670
    June 2009
    634 Posts
    Dompteur is french for the wrangler.

fuck your edit time.
    Yeah, I just caught that and edited. I didn't know at first though and was confused.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

31. Post #1671
    The Pain Train's a-comin! Woo woo!
    August 2010
    1,140 Posts

The Scout has nothing to worry, for the obgiviteve will pretect him at all costs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1672
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts

EDIT TIME:
    After doing some research (googling), I have learned that the "Dompteur" is the Wrangler's French name. I'm sure a lot of people here knew that, but I didn't. I guess this guy didn't know the English name for it. Still an odd thing to alert people to.
    Well, the french name is still okay. But if you translate the german name back into english, you get "Sentry Whisperer".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 26Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1673
    July 2011
    3,279 Posts
    Well, the french name is still okay. But if you translate the german name back into english, you get "Sentry Whisperer".
    That would be an amazing use of a nametag, shame I don't really like to use the Wrangler.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1674
    Are there any other strange/funny foreign names of weapons?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #1675
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,569 Posts
    Thinking about the Engineer treating his sentry like the Dog Whisperer does to train dogs amuses me greatly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

36. Post #1676
    ASK ME ABOUT MY SAM 6420 FETISH
    July 2011
    691 Posts
    Thinking about the Engineer treating his sentry like the Dog Whisperer does to train dogs amuses me greatly.
    "Don't reason with it, don't argue with it, just dominate it"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

37. Post #1677
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    The French Manmelter is named the Fissionneur, which could be called the Splitter in english, I find that quite weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

38. Post #1678
    April 2011
    5,480 Posts
    The French Manmelter is named the Fissionneur, which could be called the Splitter in english, I find that quite weird.
    The Fissionneur? It should be called that in English, sounds awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #1679
    January 2010
    5,329 Posts
    The Fissionneur? It should be called that in English, sounds awesome.
    Again, great weapon tag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #1680
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts
    You know what's very strange? The Czech version keeps the original names.
    And trust me, Czech translators have a fetish for poor translated names.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events