1. Post #761
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,204 Posts
    i don't know if you guys have been following mirrorless stuff, but olympus has a new camera coming out soon

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Interc...s_3109924011_6

which it looks pretty cool (fake prism is a bit large imo), but aside from weather sealing it didn't seem to me like much of an improvement over current stuff they have, especially considering the sensor is the same as the panasonic gx1 (which has worse image quality than the g1 according to many, the first m4/3rds camera they made).
    then i saw this video, and if you are a mirrorless user, you will appreciate how fast this thing is focusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=b-WLvEvqMZE#!

sorry for direct links, embedding them didn't work for me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #762
    September 2008
    1,514 Posts
    i don't know if you guys have been following mirrorless stuff, but olympus has a new camera coming out soon

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Interc...s_3109924011_6

which it looks pretty cool (fake prism is a bit large imo), but aside from weather sealing it didn't seem to me like much of an improvement over current stuff they have, especially considering the sensor is the same as the panasonic gx1 (which has worse image quality than the g1 according to many, the first m4/3rds camera they made).
    then i saw this video, and if you are a mirrorless user, you will appreciate how fast this thing is focusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=b-WLvEvqMZE#!

sorry for direct links, embedding them didn't work for me
    Looks like a really nice camera IMO, but yeah it's essentially an Olympus EP-3 with a built-in viewfinder, higher FPS burst rate, better sealing, and a new sensor.

Also I think they're different sensors as Panasonic lists the sensor on the GX1 at 16 megapixels, and Olympus lists the OM-D at 16.1 megapixels.

And I'm still sad that Olympus teased everybody by using the OM name only to release a M4/3 camera. I would LOVE to see Olympus come out with an APS-C or fullframe OM mount DSLR.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #763
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,204 Posts
    oh sorry if i was wrong on the sensors, i thought i read something that they were the same. but yeah it does seem similar, but that autofocus is fucking crazy. like, it's so damn fast. isn't it only a couple hundred more than the ep3? would make it worth it for weather sealing and viewfinder, though it's still half the dots of the nex 7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #764
    September 2008
    1,514 Posts
    It's only $100 more than the EP-3, which isn't bad considering that buying the detachable VF-2 viewfinder (which is the same as the one that's built into the OM-D) would cost an extra $250. Even though the viewfinder is half the dots you still can't see the pixels so I don't think it matters much.

5. Post #765
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,204 Posts
    then that's not a bad price at all damn. comparing both body only though? i know it's $1300 with the new 12-50mm lens, which sounds like a cool lens too because of the weather sealing. i like that the mirrorless market is becoming more serious and something that could be professional. even if you don't like the nex 7 it's clear to see that it put pressure on the rest of the market. very exciting time to buy a camera

6. Post #766
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,909 Posts
    I need to check this section more consistently
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #767
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,665 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #768
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    so hardcore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #769
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,665 Posts
    I've never seen someone gopro that hard before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #770
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,204 Posts
    fuck that looked painful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #771
    October 2010
    2,100 Posts
    I've never seen someone gopro that hard before.
    Pfft.

Not attached to him though, the wuss.
    fuck that looked painful
    [NSFL]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2916868&type=3
    Oh man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #772
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,594 Posts
    Four rolls of 35mm color film for $14, good price? Or should I put another four minute into my drive and visit a camera shop.

13. Post #773
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,647 Posts
    Four rolls of 35mm color film for $14, good price? Or should I put another four minute into my drive and visit a camera shop.
    what brand/iso? If it's something annoying like fujifilm 800 you'd be better off finding a walgreens/camera shop regardless of price
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #774
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,972 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

15. Post #775
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,594 Posts
    what brand/iso? If it's something annoying like fujifilm 800 you'd be better off finding a walgreens/camera shop regardless of price
    CVS/store brand, 400 iso

16. Post #776
    April 2009
    833 Posts
    I got 400 iso fujifilm xtra for about 16 dollars for 8 rolls at walmart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #777
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #778

June 2011
    492 Posts
    You got to be fucking kidding me right?
    People with their mommy's kit lens DSLR and Video camera think they can start a photography business?

Oh, here's the link to the video.

http://vimeo.com/37220097

I spot some nice pictures, but nothing special or out of the ordinary, and this person has the audacity to say "Impress me, then maybe you can intern?"

EDIT: Yup, my assumption was right, typical DSLR with kit lens. ( No offense to those who carry one )

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

19. Post #779
    I don't think I understand
    The photos in the video are sub-par though, also fucking horrible watermarks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #780

June 2011
    492 Posts
    I don't think I understand
    The photos in the video are sub-par though, also fucking horrible watermarks
    That's exactly what I thought too, and he has the audacity to call me out>?

21. Post #781
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,647 Posts
    he's ok at photography, but it all looks generic. It's a "hey you're good, can you print off a few of these so we can have them at the airfield office, the guys'd love it" kinda good, but not really enough to dive into naming a business and making a promo video, let alone getting testy with you like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #782
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,647 Posts
    when I grow up I wanna be a stock photography model

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

23. Post #783
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,487 Posts
    FYI

there might be some auroras today & tomorrow, so if you live in the northern areas, go get some purdy photos

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

24. Post #784
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,243 Posts
    Just presented my dissertation results in front of my lecturers, post grads and undergrads.
    Aced it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

25. Post #785
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,697 Posts
    Just presented my dissertation results in front of my lecturers, post grads and undergrads.
    Aced it.

I remember you saying about that mate. Well done.

Also are you gonna put up the rest of that roll of film, i remember you taking some shots when you came to london that i haven't seen up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #786
    I now own my first piece of professional photography equipement:

a four dollar UV filter I bought to protect my d3100's lens
    that has arrived before I buy the actual camera
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #787
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,685 Posts

Reassembling the Canon EOS 1N I got off frag4life to fix (broken lens detection lever).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #788
    Mmm, expensive equipment guts.

Edited:

I now own my first piece of professional photography equipement:

a four dollar UV filter I bought to protect my d3100's lens
    that has arrived before I buy the actual camera
    Update: It's also too big to use as a monocle so it's COMPLETELY USELESS at the time being
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #789
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,909 Posts
    anyone have any tips for ski/snowboard photography?
    I'm going on a ski trip and I'd like to take some nice photos
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #790

June 2011
    492 Posts
    Well, somewhat good news.

Seems like I'm going to intern / get a job. Refer to what I posted above. I'll try and refrain myself from referring facepunch, but that is going to be incredibly hard. Luckily... these people know people, so I should be able to get some work done.

I now should really start compensating for fullframe now. gah, haven't even taken pictures in 3 months.

EDIT, maybe not as good as I thought:

"Everything looks great and like something we are looking for. As you can kinda tell we are in the beginning stages of the "company" and we will need you available some weekend to have meeting and go over things such as advertisements, protocol, billing, etc.
    As I can see you are into both photography and videography which are the main things we are doing which is great. Right now Jason and I have two projects we are working on that are non profit and we can try to get something like that set up for you. We want to do this so we have some examples to show people.
    Now another thing is we will only get paid by going out and doing work, so this means you have to take it upon yourself to go out and find work. I will try my best to get your name out there on Facebook also. I will msg you more about this later on.."

"Love the work btw! Still trying to figure out how to get that one Dland picture(the slow shutter speed or whatever)"

I lold.

31. Post #791
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    anyone have any tips for ski/snowboard photography?
    I'm going on a ski trip and I'd like to take some nice photos
    Do it during the day time, unless you have a good flash. Take off your snowboard/skiis when you're taking a picture. If it's bright enough, the snow should do a good job of reflecting light allowing you to bump up your shutter more than normal.

32. Post #792
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,243 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

33. Post #793
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,204 Posts
    Help she's stealing my friends
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #794
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    so for my photography class I gotta do 2 different projects, one about heritage environment promotion (along the lines of tourism) one about a social issue (homelessness, drug use.. that kinda thing)

thinking for tourism doing national parks, split final image into three sections, using an image from multiple areas in each section and a tourist standing in the middle of the three images

for social issue thinking of doing some vintage looking black and white images of homeless people, but having them transperant or something to highlight how people just ignore them i guess

pretty straight forward ideas, but having trouble thinking outside of the box for either, the only other thing I could think of for "social issue" is highlighting social drinking and it's potential problems by showing it in a situation you'd usually expect to see something like crack or heroin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

35. Post #795
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,697 Posts

oh my god this made me laugh
    it's someone i know, for her photography project

she used me without my permission
    it's like photo rape
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #796
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,647 Posts
    it's like photo rape
    bending you over the kitchen sink via puppet warp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

37. Post #797
    This title is totally OVERKILL™!
    November 2011
    8,540 Posts
    Photography class gave use 7 subjects to take photos off during the 1 week break next week.

"Someone waiting", "Someone who just left", "Someone who wants to be alone", "Falling feeling", "Rising feeling", "Upslope hill", "Downslope hill".

I can do the last 4, and MAYBE (with some luck) I can snap some shots in town for everything else. Either way these subjects are cryptic as fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events

38. Post #798
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    someone waiting - bus stop
    someone who just left - someone leaving a building/walking out the door
    someone who wants to be alone - use a friend, get them to go into a really closed in pose (like fetal position) or yourself for that and the above..
    or, crowd of people behind a subject who's standing on their own or something, idk.
    falling feeling, rising feeling, not really sure how i'd do those
    the other two are obvious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #799
    This title is totally OVERKILL™!
    November 2011
    8,540 Posts
    Neat. Don know why the idea of a bus stop didn't come to me earlier. I think I'll avoid using a model for the sake of making the shot look natural.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #800
    November 2008
    2,337 Posts
    setting off for a few days to london tonight, hopeful to get some good candids and some architectural shizz :) going to loads of museums and galleries too, gonna be awesome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events