1. Post #2321
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,409 Posts
    What's a good way to go about adding artifacts to a photo? (similar to what bopie occasionally does)
    My favorite method is to scan a blank (unexposed) negative - say from the end of a roll - and overlay it with the "lighten" blending option in PS. Results in scratches and scanner dust, and even grain at higher ASA's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2322
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,945 Posts
    Just loaded my first ever roll of 120, some Portra 400, with 4 more rolls waiting to be exposed. I am very excited.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #2323
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,258 Posts
    I just lost that small plastic thing that holds the camera stuck to the tripod.

Fuck, I hate small plastic things that are important. Doesn't matter how cautious you are, it's going to get lost.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #2324
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    That's why I keep mine in a film roll box thing.
    in the worst case you could just put a piece of rubber between the body and the tripod head.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #2325
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,258 Posts
    Found it finally.

In my camera bag which I had searched in 100 times before.

Stupid bag with its billions of pockets and small crevices for stuff to hide.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #2326
    March 2006
    4,142 Posts
    I got to play around with a Red One today.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

7. Post #2327
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    The Leica (microscope) I was talking about:
    (I did not remove the hood because the room was basically plastered in biohazard signs and there where "informational" posters showcasing bacteria. Like the one with a strain of bacteria that would go into your urinal vessel build up there and the more force to remove it would be applied the longer its "tentacles" would get that are holding onto you.)

I suspect that this instructions where made by a Laica fanboy (see 9.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #2328
    The Red One is such a fun camera, but then we loaded the 4k project and thought otherwise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #2329
    March 2011
    644 Posts
    Well my trip to scotland is a bit more planned now. I have a place to stay now in Edinburgh, and my new debit card arrives soon so I can buy my ticket for the bus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #2330
    November 2008
    1,196 Posts
    I got to play around with a Red One today.

Edited:

Sooooooo jelly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #2331
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,281 Posts
    that husky is so fluffy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #2332
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    Oh my, 4k.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #2333
    that husky is so fluffy
    #dogs i wanna hug

Also it's staring RIGHT at the camera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #2334
    March 2006
    4,142 Posts
    that husky is so fluffy
    mine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

15. Post #2335
    May 2010
    5,393 Posts
    Hi, I want to get into amateur photography and have read that you guys suggest film over digital because it teaches you to take better shots(or better said to not waist shots).
    I just wanted to know if anyone knows about or can recommend getting a Canon AE-1 as I have found a pretty cheap one that comes with a lens(I think its just the stock lens that would have come with the camera but I cant afford that much so it should be fine for starting out).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #2336
    May 2010
    5,393 Posts
    Does anyone know if its easy to clean lens fungus?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #2337
    Does anyone know if its easy to clean lens fungus?
    Next to impossible if it's in the inner glass and you don't have watchmaker hands and a complete blueprint/assembly guide of the lens iirc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #2338
    March 2011
    644 Posts
    Does anyone have a Nikon 50mm (AI version) I could borrow, I really want to try out my Nikon EM. Another thing will it work with a M42 adaptor?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #2339
    July 2007
    626 Posts
    Does anyone have a Nikon 50mm (AI version) I could borrow, I really want to try out my Nikon EM. Another thing will it work with a M42 adaptor?
    Won't focus to infinity with m42 lenses because of the longer register distance. Will require optics in your adapter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #2340
    March 2011
    644 Posts
    Won't focus to infinity with m42 lenses because of the longer register distance. Will require optics in your adapter.
    I know that but I don't know if the camera would work with an adaptor at all.

21. Post #2341
    Is it just me or all you needed to shoot a music video in the late 90s/early 00s was a couple squares of suburbs, a dolly and a fisheye lens
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #2342
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    Hi, I want to get into amateur photography and have read that you guys suggest film over digital because it teaches you to take better shots(or better said to not waist shots).
    I just wanted to know if anyone knows about or can recommend getting a Canon AE-1 as I have found a pretty cheap one that comes with a lens(I think its just the stock lens that would have come with the camera but I cant afford that much so it should be fine for starting out).
    Honestly, I'm against film for beginners. Well, not against, but I'd recommend digital first. The reason being, you get instant feedback. You can take 1000 shots of the same subject but with different angles and different settings. This way you get to learn without wasting a single penny on developing. You also don't have to wait to find out about shots. If you've overexposed a shot, you get to fix it right then and there; you'll learn how to correctly adjust for different situations without worrying about burning through film.

The downside is the upfront cost. You can get a whole host of film equipment for dirt cheap. You'll have to drop some serious cash if you want a solid beginner's setup (although you can find some good deals if you look around). So if you are really committed and think photography is for you, I'd go digital. Learn about being conservative and getting the right shot after you actually learn to take photos.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #2343
    March 2006
    4,142 Posts
    Plus if you start off with film and stick to it for a long time, you turn painfully pretentious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #2344
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    have you edited your DP there Jaanus? or have those big eyes always been there (only just noticed them today)

Edited:

looking to buy a new dslr in between 1000 and 2000 AUD, not really sure what I should get though..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #2345
    April 2011
    3,176 Posts
    Jaanus, do you really have a television show? I need to watch it

Edited:

the more i think about it the more i think you may have been kidding...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #2346
    March 2011
    644 Posts
    Just remembered I acquired an oldish scanner from a skip and it seems to work. Later on I'll try to make some modifications to try and scan negatives.
    Its a HP Scanjet 2400.

Its not that bad at scanning 4x6s

Test Scan by CommunistWolf, on Flickr

27. Post #2347
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Are Red one's actually capable of taking stills? I've always been under the impression that they're broadcast quality (or above really) video cameras and aren't used for photography.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #2348
    November 2009
    1,188 Posts
    does anyone else feel bad about their pictures after looking at bopie's?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #2349
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    does anyone else feel bad about their pictures after looking at bopie's?
    Yes everytime I look at his picture I think Why don't my pictures look so hipstalicious
    aka no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Zing Zing x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #2350
    November 2009
    1,188 Posts
    Yes everytime I look at his picture I think Why don't my pictures look so hipstalicious
    aka no
    wat
    i thought this was hipster:

31. Post #2351
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    (It was sarcasm/a joke/whatever the fuck)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #2352
    April 2012
    3,361 Posts
    have you edited your DP there Jaanus? or have those big eyes always been there (only just noticed them today)

Edited:

looking to buy a new dslr in between 1000 and 2000 AUD, not really sure what I should get though..
    I don't know the cost in Australia, but what about the Pentax K-5, or the K-30 when it's out? Since you're using Pentax already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #2353
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,258 Posts
    wat
    i thought this was hipster:
    I think that looks pretty clusterfuck. But it still has its beauty, even if it's vague.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #2354
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    I bought a new tv few days ago. It was only 100 euro's for a 32" full hd tv. Only downside was it had no standard to stand on and I can't order one.
    Are wall-mounts universal?

35. Post #2355
    February 2006
    550 Posts
    Not exactly universal, but the wall mount I have is adjustable. Specifically, it's a series of rails which you can slide to match the brackets, screwholes, or what have you on the back of your TV. I'd look for something like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #2356
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    I bought a new tv few days ago. It was only 100 euro's for a 32" full hd tv. Only downside was it had no standard to stand on and I can't order one.
    Are wall-mounts universal?
    would it not be a VESA mount?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #2357
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    would it not be a VESA mount?
    That's the four-screw mount thing right? Because I'm not sure. I have a Philips 32pfl5405h/12
    It's a shame I can't just order a new stand
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #2358
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    That's the four-screw mount thing right? Because I'm not sure. I have a Philips 32pfl5405h/12
    It's a shame I can't just order a new stand
    yeah it is

also one thing led to another and i made this

39. Post #2359
    May 2010
    5,393 Posts
    Honestly, I'm against film for beginners. Well, not against, but I'd recommend digital first. The reason being, you get instant feedback. You can take 1000 shots of the same subject but with different angles and different settings. This way you get to learn without wasting a single penny on developing. You also don't have to wait to find out about shots. If you've overexposed a shot, you get to fix it right then and there; you'll learn how to correctly adjust for different situations without worrying about burning through film.

The downside is the upfront cost. You can get a whole host of film equipment for dirt cheap. You'll have to drop some serious cash if you want a solid beginner's setup (although you can find some good deals if you look around). So if you are really committed and think photography is for you, I'd go digital. Learn about being conservative and getting the right shot after you actually learn to take photos.
    I know its not the idea type of camera but would something like a high-end 2007 Samsung S-series or Panasonic Lumix cameras be any good?

40. Post #2360
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    I don't know the cost in Australia, but what about the Pentax K-5, or the K-30 when it's out? Since you're using Pentax already.
    yeah, i was considering getting the k-5 for that reason, haven't heard about the k-30 before though, will look into it

well fuck, the k-30 is gonna be 900usd (according to some sites, 1100aud by the looks of it if I buy it from australian sources though) with the 18-55mm lens, will probably get that. I really dig pentax cameras and it's not like i'm doing any professional stuff that'd require more than 16mp anyway, + would get to keep using these lenses that I really love that i've got laying around, and it'd still be an upgrade from what I have now. Will probably get this, thanks for pointing it out