1. Post #2361
    November 2008
    2,241 Posts
    I know its not the idea type of camera but would something like a high-end 2007 Samsung S-series or Panasonic Lumix cameras be any good?
    Lumix G2 is the camera I have and i've had no complaints with it thus far! performs well up to about ISO 1200 and the kit lens that comes with it is really sharp. Controls all work really smoothly once you get to know them and its small body is hella light and doesn't feel like a burden at all (i found when using a friends 550D that it felt really heavy and clunky and huge but then again I've never had a larger camera before so I'm just used to my tiny little G2). The only niggle I ever have a problem with is that the colours and sharpness are increased when looking through the viewfinder purely because its an LCD display of what the camera see's not a periscope type viewfinder, thats why it's a mirrorless system, and this saddens me when I go to load up photos in photoshop and they are a bit duller than I remember so most photo's that aren't in hella dynamic light need to be processed to be a bit darker and bit higher contrast in my opinion.

Other than that I'm so happy I got it because it has served me so well since I got it last september!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #2362
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,060 Posts
    I'm going on vacation to the Dolomites in a week. And I need some advice if there are any tips or tricks when shooting in such environments.

Anything would help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

3. Post #2363
    November 2008
    2,241 Posts
    wide angle lens and a small aperture :)

4. Post #2364
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,060 Posts
    Well the widest I got is an 18mm.

But at what f stop are we talking when we're talking "small" here? 3-7?

5. Post #2365
    November 2008
    2,241 Posts
    that would probably be fine for landscapes, nooooo no no small as in a high number, f/16+ so you get everything in focus!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2366
    May 2010
    5,381 Posts
    Lumix G2 is the camera I have and i've had no complaints with it thus far! performs well up to about ISO 1200 and the kit lens that comes with it is really sharp. Controls all work really smoothly once you get to know them and its small body is hella light and doesn't feel like a burden at all (i found when using a friends 550D that it felt really heavy and clunky and huge but then again I've never had a larger camera before so I'm just used to my tiny little G2). The only niggle I ever have a problem with is that the colours and sharpness are increased when looking through the viewfinder purely because its an LCD display of what the camera see's not a periscope type viewfinder, thats why it's a mirrorless system, and this saddens me when I go to load up photos in photoshop and they are a bit duller than I remember so most photo's that aren't in hella dynamic light need to be processed to be a bit darker and bit higher contrast in my opinion.

Other than that I'm so happy I got it because it has served me so well since I got it last september!
    sorry, by my comment I meant the compact line of cameras
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #2367
    November 2008
    2,241 Posts
    just taken a look at them, seem rather over-priced tbh

8. Post #2368
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    part of me wants a gf1 with m42 glass or something snazzy like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #2369
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    part of me wants a gf1 with m42 glass or something snazzy like that
    Using m4/3 is the most fun I've had shooting digital, nothing comes close other than film, especially for candid photography.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #2370
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    Micro 4/3 are the funnest I've found to shoot with so far, nothing comes close other than film, especially for candid photography.
    compact as well, would be good fun

11. Post #2371
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    compact as well, would be good fun
    Legacy variety is part of the fun aswell though.

12. Post #2372
    November 2008
    2,241 Posts
    I usually use my g2 with a m4/3 to K-mount and throw on my dads old 50mm on (manual everything only) probably the closest thing possible to film and I love it.

13. Post #2373
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    I'm a mental klutz. So I just saw a beautiful scene outside (frost winter, yellow creamish white sunlight mixed with pale blue frost) and I managed to dig up a memory card, so after shooting all I could outside and nearly burning my hand due to frost, I came back inside, sat down, and toyed idly with the camera. I was suppose to copy some pictures on the internal memory to the stick. Instead I formatted the stick.

Anyways, is it normal to P mode to severely underexpose stuff?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

14. Post #2374
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    if its bright white outside, yes because the camera thinks its overexposing even if it looks fine to you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #2375
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    No, I mean when switching to manual the meter was way underexposed, so the camera did know it was underexposed.

16. Post #2376
    November 2008
    2,241 Posts
    all the different modes on mine are independent of eachother so that may be why?

17. Post #2377
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    No, I mean when switching to manual the meter was way underexposed, so the camera did know it was underexposed.
    I'm a little confused here, what does manual settings have to do with you taking pictures in P mode and getting under-exposed pictures?
    Your camera meters the scene. There are a few different metering modes. You have ones where your camera meters the whole scene and gives an average exposure, you have metering modes where you camera only meters a small portion in the middle of your scene etc. Whatever metering mode you choose, the camera picked up on the white frost/snow and thought it was very bright outside, therefor it set the shutterspeed too fast/aperture too small.
    Next time, try a different metering mode. Meter for the sky or an average of the scene and lock those settings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

18. Post #2378
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    I had an identical scene, with P and M mode both using the same metering settings. Yet P underexposed the shot while I could expose it properly with M and not ruin the shutter speed or ISO.

19. Post #2379
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    sorry if this is like spam or something i know it's shitty of me but my mum just jumped in and got me a sandisk extreme so i feel i owe her

https://www.facebook.com/wisepropert...al_comments=14

can you like the comment supporting "susan reid"? i know it's a sad appeal but you know me no shame.

20. Post #2380
    April 2012
    3,342 Posts
    sorry, don't have facebook.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

21. Post #2381
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    sorry, don't have facebook.
    not a problem!

22. Post #2382

June 2012
    4 Posts
    Paleo Recipe Book - Brand New Paleo Cookbook
    Brand New Paleo Diet Cookbook With Over 370 Recipes.
    Come visit me to learn more about Cookbook

(User was permabanned for this post ("Advertising" - verynicelady))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Moldova, Republic of Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #2383
    November 2008
    2,241 Posts
    voted cue :)

24. Post #2384
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    thanks! appreciate it :)

25. Post #2385
    November 2008
    2,241 Posts
    no worries pal, always happy to help :)

26. Post #2386
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,060 Posts
    So I go to my deviant art page and then I see this

Soo I was painting thinking "I need a northern sky thats..with trees and green and gorgeous.." but half of me wanted to paint the Third Eye photo Ive been dreaming of...anyways I decided to look up photos that could give me an idea of the northern lights~ when I saw your photo I looked and saw the eye of the phoenix or your little icon and thought "dude I need to say hi" :).

sorry if it seems weird but I just wanted to say hello from the Sierra Nevadas and I love your work. Maybe we could be friends =D.

o_o

27. Post #2387
    April 2012
    3,342 Posts
    So I go to my deviant art page and then I see this

o_o

lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

28. Post #2388
    March 2011
    635 Posts
    Lets say I was going to climb a crane or onto a rooftop in the middle of the night in Edinburgh. What lenses should I take?

I have a 28mm,35mm,50mm,58mm,135mm, and a 28-70 zoom lens I also have a 2x tele-converter.
    So far I'm thinking the 28-70 with a teleconverter would be the best choice, because it would give me about a 60-140mm lens, which should be good for most things. Any thoughts on this?

29. Post #2389
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    Lets say I was going to climb a crane or onto a rooftop in the middle of the night in Edinburgh. What lenses should I take?

I have a 28mm,35mm,50mm,58mm,135mm, and a 28-70 zoom lens I also have a 2x tele-converter.
    So far I'm thinking the 28-70 with a teleconverter would be the best choice, because it would give me about a 60-140mm lens, which should be good for most things. Any thoughts on this?
    take the 28-70 rather than the individual ones, I also have a personal liking for the 135mm lenses. you can use it to tilt shift if it has manual aperture.Take the 2x converter IF you can fit it with you, otherwise you should be right with those two (opinion)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

30. Post #2390
    May 2010
    5,381 Posts
    Going to spain in a couple of weeks (this is where the initial interest in photography came as I wanted to capture moments with my friends plus where im going as some really nice rural areas) and so have managed to get a Samsung L600 (AKA L60) from the bay for 10.50 Ideally I would like to have gotten a DSLR or CRC(I think there called that) but then again I would have had to fit it in handluggage along with my clothes so I couldnt really go for anything big anyway.
    Anyway I have looked at some specs and it seems like a pretty nice camera so hopefully It will allow me to learn atleast the basics :D

Edited:

BTW has anyone used Shotwell or Digikam as an alternative to lightroom? If so would you recommend any?

31. Post #2391
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    BTW has anyone used Shotwell or Digikam as an alternative to lightroom? If so would you recommend any?
    DigiKam is great. I like to write notes in the description boxes and licensing, and also use tags to organize all my photos (filenames are just numbers), and then use the Flickr and Facebook plugins to up.

So while I was trying to fall asleep last night I was thinking about crop factors. I've been thinking about getting a Pentax k-r and according to Snapsort there's some kits that come with an 18-55mm lens, but due to the camera's 1.5x crop factor that'd make it 27-82mm wouldn't it?

32. Post #2392
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    so I just figured out what bulb exposure is for, feel retarded for thinking 30s was the maximum exposure time on the dslr i'm using now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #2393
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,605 Posts
    Going to spain in a couple of weeks (this is where the initial interest in photography came as I wanted to capture moments with my friends plus where im going as some really nice rural areas) and so have managed to get a Samsung L600 (AKA L60) from the bay for 10.50 Ideally I would like to have gotten a DSLR or CRC(I think there called that) but then again I would have had to fit it in handluggage along with my clothes so I couldnt really go for anything big anyway.
    Anyway I have looked at some specs and it seems like a pretty nice camera so hopefully It will allow me to learn atleast the basics :D

Edited:

You're not going to get any nice pictures off a Samsung L600, sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

34. Post #2394
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    You're not going to get any nice pictures off a Samsung L600, sorry.
    I dunno man, my current camera is a TL350/WB2000. I can get decent shots off it, unless you zoom in.

Can you shoot in RAW, Richy? If so, do it.

Edit: I googled 'Samsung L600' and it came up with 'Samsung TL220'. What.

35. Post #2395
    May 2010
    5,381 Posts
    I dunno man, my current camera is a TL350/WB2000. I can get decent shots off it, unless you zoom in.

Can you shoot in RAW, Richy? If so, do it.
    Well the only spec details I can find are for the L60, AFAIK there are small differences between the L60 and the L600 but the L60 only allows jpeg.
    either way, up until now I have always used my phones camera so compared to that im sure they will be nice.

Edited:

Edit: I googled 'Samsung L600' and it came up with 'Samsung TL220'. What.
    Yea I know, I only found out that its similar to the L60 because I went on the samsung support and when downloading the L600 manual it was actually the manual for the L60.
    This is the actual one I have bought

36. Post #2396
    May 2012
    223 Posts

I realize that I've been a bit of a dick recently, and I apologize, but Bopie has been extremely rude to pretty much everyone on this forum. Personally, I think there are much better photographers in this forum like QuickSnapz, Daijitsu, LatinGeek, Inzalonus, Moarfunz, Kabstrac, and many more.

(User was banned for this post ("did you not learn the first time" - daijitsu))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

37. Post #2397
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts

I realize that I've been a bit of a dick recently, and I apologize, but Bopie has been extremely rude to pretty much everyone on this forum. Personally, I think there are much better photographers in this forum like QuickSnapz, Daijitsu, LatinGeek, Inzalonus, Moarfunz, Kabstrac, and many more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #2398
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    I realize that I've been a bit of a dick recently,
    Get the fuck out. You don't have been a dick you are one.
    If you are fighting with someone don't post snippets from the conversations along with an "apology"...
    Anyone can just take a part from a heated conversation and make the other look bad and this is neither constructive nor good for the community. What you are trying to do is win some people over to help you fight for your opinion. Shit like this destroys communities.
    I might not have been here for a long time but I respect most of the people here, it doesn't matter on what skill level, as long as they try to help the community and don't act like deviantart kids who can't take criticism but prefer voting eachother up just for the sake of webfame masturbation.
    Even when someone is rude while giving criticism you don't know why, maybe the had a fucked up day or something like that, try to see what they had to say and replay to them that you felt it was unnecessary rude.
    Mature up and don't get so easily offended on the internet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #2399
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,184 Posts
    ART HARDER NEXT TIME.

You're a bad example to the many of us who art hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

40. Post #2400
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Stop bickering and get back to making art with light.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)