1. Post #2721
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,908 Posts
    I was thinking about entering a few of my pictures into a local photography contest. I am unsure of which one's I can enter. The categories are, Nature, Portrait, General, Four Seasons and Around the Town.

Can you guys maybe help me decide on which one's I should enter?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

2. Post #2722
    February 2006
    550 Posts
    For starters, do you live in a more urban or rural environment? If you live in the middle of a developed city and don't have a solid means of transportation, getting a good nature shot might be more difficult than around the town.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

3. Post #2723
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,076 Posts
    Go for all of them, and decide which ones you like best after
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #2724
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,426 Posts
    Looking at your photostream, you're probably going to have a stronger chance if you stick with nature.

Honestly they're so broad (general? come on!) I'd enter something into each category. Depending on the rules of course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2725
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,757 Posts
    So it's my responsibility to take the first ever picture of my goddaughter when she's born, potentially tomorrow. Absolutely not shitting myself, and absolutely not looking at Blaze's photo of his sister for a few tips.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

6. Post #2726
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,658 Posts
    Well I'm sure i could help in some way. Are you shooting digital or film?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #2727
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,757 Posts
    Digital, and thank you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #2728
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,426 Posts
    Look at pages 1&2 - finders credit @ blaze a few months ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #2729
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,908 Posts
    Go for all of them, and decide which ones you like best after
    Looking at your photostream, you're probably going to have a stronger chance if you stick with nature.

Honestly they're so broad (general? come on!) I'd enter something into each category. Depending on the rules of course.
    Are there any pictures on my photo stream that you think I should enter in particular? I was thinking about these ones.

IMG_2186-2 small by Bohan Pang, on Flickr

882-2 by Bohan Pang, on Flickr

285-2 by Bohan Pang, on Flickr

010-4 by Bohan Pang, on Flickr

IMG_2890-3 by Bohan Pang, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

10. Post #2730
    April 2012
    3,380 Posts
    The squirrel one is really good; you should enter that one for sure
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #2731
    November 2008
    1,200 Posts
    I asked once before but I'm asking again because I like to 100% what I'm buying is good.

I'm looking to get a remote. I'd say wireless, just for more flexibility. Thoughts on what I should go with? I'm still gunning with my 60D.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #2732
    January 2011
    419 Posts
    I asked once before but I'm asking again because I like to 100% what I'm buying is good.

I'm looking to get a remote. I'd say wireless, just for more flexibility. Thoughts on what I should go with? I'm still gunning with my 60D.
    I've got a set of these wireless triggers, they work great, never had any problems. Had the same batteries in them since I got them about 7 months ago.

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=...s&id=64&pId=64

13. Post #2733
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,076 Posts
    Buying a canon a-1 with a motor grip and 6 lenses for $50. Tired of not having aperture priority, and the grip will give good balance. Can easily offset the cost with the teleconverter it comes with alone :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

14. Post #2734
    November 2008
    1,200 Posts
    Finally got around to using the method Dai posted to remove that pole

Before- (Colors got a bit messed with saving)

After-

Bout I good as I can get it

15. Post #2735
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,076 Posts
    Looks good enough

16. Post #2736
    November 2008
    1,200 Posts
    Photoshop is magic. It's interesting how many other parts of the image you can use to fix other parts.

17. Post #2737
    Filming first budget movie in two days, 2,000$. Excited and bothered same time, tis better b gud.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

18. Post #2738
    Fuck I haven't taken a picture in months
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #2739
    October 2011
    804 Posts
    Same, I've barely picked up my camera all summer.

20. Post #2740
    November 2008
    1,200 Posts
    Filming first budget movie in two days, 2,000$. Excited and bothered same time, tis better b gud.
    Raised the money yourself?

21. Post #2741
    August 2011
    662 Posts
    Fuck I haven't taken a picture in months
    My New Year resolution for 2012 was to take more pictures again. Almost 9 months in and I've used my camera once
    Last resort might be self-portraits, but I really don't like taking them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #2742
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,076 Posts
    A good way to help is to set goals for yourself and try shooting in different styles. Like go for wildlife, or street shooting. Something you don't really want to do will help you grow and find out what you really like
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #2743
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    i'm borderline about continuing with photography atm

past few days i've been going out with my camera and I keep wishing I had it with me because of so many shot possibilities, I think the problem is that when I take it out I feel obliged to actually look, and as such it makes photography feel like a chore rather than something I enjoy, hope that makes sense..

Just had a rant at some guy on reddit because he posted a hdr/clarity abused photo, didn't even bother to correct exposure or anything afterwords so it honestly looked ugly, lots of upvotes on his photo... the few people that said something regarding hdr and abuse got downvoted.. hope my efforts aren't wasted considering it's in a fucking photo criticism section, it's always a shame to see people circlejerk over those kind of photos...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

24. Post #2744
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    lmao some random guy called me a pretentious douche and told me to hang myself with a camera strap

it seems he's alone in that opinion.

25. Post #2745
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,435 Posts
    I was thinking about entering a few of my pictures into a local photography contest. I am unsure of which one's I can enter. The categories are, Nature, Portrait, General, Four Seasons and Around the Town.

Can you guys maybe help me decide on which one's I should enter?
    Hmmm all of your pics seem a bit oversaturated.

Edited:

The squirrel one is really good; you should enter that one for sure
    After straighting it. There really is no way the feeding station can hang that way unless the squirrel gave it a nudge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

26. Post #2746
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,076 Posts
    Inzalous, you shouldn't feel burdened by your camera. Just bring it with and sling it over your shoulder just in case. I take my camera lots of places without taking a single shot, but if there was something I probably would have gotten it. If you have gotten to a point where it's not fun, you need to make it fun again to yourself. And take pictures that you like taking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #2747
    November 2008
    500 Posts
    http://www.tomraworthphotography.com/ I just wondered what everybody thought of my portfolio website I've been updating it alot lately

28. Post #2748
    August 2005
    15,435 Posts
    I don't really like the starting page.

Minimal is cool, but bold is not.

Edited:

The lightpainting is fucking A though, how do you draw so accurately?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

29. Post #2749
    November 2008
    500 Posts
    I don't really like the staring page.

Minimal is cool, but bold is not.

Edited:

The lightpainting is fucking A though, how do you draw so accurately?
    Cheers for the criticism, I will probably change the website at some point I had a free day at college so I decide to give the website a new look, I'm quite liking it at the moment but I'm not sure what else to do to it.

As for the light Painting me and my brothers usually get together and come up with ideas then i draw around them in a pose with a torch. While im at it i might aswell post their flickr's they need more views.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scaircrow/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/josh_harvey/

30. Post #2750
    August 2005
    15,435 Posts
    I don't know if this is reproducable but I clicked one section, came back to it an hour later and clicking another sent me into an endless loading loop.(as in "nothing happened with loading symbol showing")

31. Post #2751
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,908 Posts
    Hmmm all of your pics seem a bit oversaturated.

Edited:

After straighting it. There really is no way the feeding station can hang that way unless the squirrel gave it a nudge.
    How is the saturation relevant to which categories I should enter in? I know a lot of the pictures from my Banff and Jasper trip are over saturated and once I finish my summer homework I'll be re-editing all of them. It's not like there's a category called, "Not Saturated".

Edited:

I initially read your feeding station part wrong. Snip and edit.

Im not going to fucking straighten the feeding station. It doesn't take away from the image at all. I don't know what you're getting at but you sound really fucking arrogant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

32. Post #2752
    August 2005
    15,435 Posts
    I was just saying that the feeding station doesn't hang straight down.

Edited:

Oh and by the way I really like the dove one as it takes a bit of thinking to fully grasp the picture.

33. Post #2753
    November 2008
    1,200 Posts
    Everything is on the right. The left is too empty.

34. Post #2754
    November 2008
    2,302 Posts
    got a fish eye adapter... hey guys.

hey guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #2755
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,076 Posts
    That's not a fisheye adapter it's a round circle maker.

36. Post #2756
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,104 Posts
    That's not a fisheye adapter it's a round circle maker.
    "oh god this fisheye has horrible vignetting"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #2757
    Raised the money yourself?
    Yeah, me and my mates.
    The production was delayed due to location problems, sob.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events

38. Post #2758
    March 2011
    645 Posts
    It's results day for me tomorrow, if I get the results I'm after I'll be treating myself to a 120 film camera
    A nice Kiev 6c

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #2759
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts

I just like it because it reminds me that while macro shots of objects have been done before, you can still come up with some quite nice images even at that scale by creating interesting backdrops and using specific angles. Makes me want to actually be "creative" in the sense that i'm setting a scene with photography

Edited:

Edited:

edit: for the record the images aren't my own, I tried taking photos of mushrooms once, and was no where near as good

40. Post #2760
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,178 Posts
    Just came back from vacationing in Ventura.
    Here's a instagram from out my window. Please don't kill me.

Also, an update on my Argus C3.
    I replaced the shutter-speed dial with a cleaner and less scratched up dial.
    I've replaced the entire lens assembly
    Cleaned it all out...Again

All that's left is calibration, replacing the leatherette, and maybe repaint that shutter lever.

(Clicky)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)