1. Post #1481
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,675 Posts
    After fooling around with my camera settings and reading a couple light reads on photography last weekend, i've started to seeing everything in reflections.
    Like, concentrating on glass windows during a bus ride, seeing if I could frame something interesting, or looking at someone with those awful full mirror sunglasses and thinking only about how they act as an interesting fisheye kinda thing.

Oh, if only I could take my DSLR with me everywhere I go.
    I totally know what you mean.

Maybe get a small bag for your camera? You could make a little photo project of photographing reflections you see in everyday life creatively.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1482
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    Man I wish it was easy to become well known

Edited:

on that note it's my goal to one day get to a point where i'm a moderately well known photographer
    have a loooooong way to go to get there though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #1483
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,226 Posts
    Street photographer Eric Kim recently posted a list of 100 tips for photography, some cool stuff to keep in mind.

Eric Kim posted:
    1. Just because someone has an expensive camera doesn’t mean that they’re a good photographer.
    2. Always shoot in RAW. Always.
    3. Prime lenses help you learn to be a better photographer.
    4. Photo editing is an art in itself
    5. The rule of thirds works 99% of the time.
    6. Macro photography isn’t for everybody.
    7. UV filters work just as well as lens caps.
    8. Go outside & shoot photos rather than spending hours a day on photography forums.
    9. Capture the beauty in the mundane and you have a winning photograph.
    10. Film isn’t better than digital.
    11. Digital isn’t better than film.
    12. There is no “magic” camera or lens.
    13. Better lenses don’t give you better photos.
    14. Spend less time looking at other people’s work and more time shooting your own.
    15. Don’t take your DSLR to parties.
    16. Girls dig photographers.
    17. Making your photos b/w doesn’t automatically make them “artsy”
    18. People will always discredit your work if you tell them you “photoshop” your images. Rather, tell them that you process them in the “digital darkroom”.
    19. You don’t need to take a photo of everything.
    20. Have at least 2 backups of all your images. Like they say in war, two is one, one is none.
    21. Ditch the neck strap and get a handstrap.
    22. Get closer when taking your photos, they often turn out better.
    23. Be a part of a scene while taking a photo; not a voyeur.
    24. Taking a photo crouched often make your photos look more interesting.
    25. Worry less about technical aspects and focus more on compositional aspects of photography.
    26. Tape up any logos on your camera with black gaffers tape- it brings a lot less attention to you.
    27. Always underexpose by 2/3rds of a stop when shooting in broad daylight.
    28. The more photos you take, the better you get.
    29. Don’t be afraid to take several photos of the same scene at different exposures, angles, or apertures.
    30. Only show your best photos.
    31. A point-and-shoot is still a camera.
    32. Join an online photography forum.
    33. Critique the works of others.
    34. Think before you shoot.
    35. A good photo shouldn’t require explanation (although background information often adds to an image). *
    36. Alcohol and photography do not mix well.
    37. Draw inspiration from other photographers but never worship them.
    38. Grain is beautiful.
    39. Ditch the photo backpack and get a messenger bag. It makes getting your lenses and camera a whole lot easier.
    40. Simplicity is key.
    41. The definition of photography is: “painting with light.” Use light in your favor.
    42. Find your style of photography and stick with it.
    43. Having a second monitor is the best thing ever for photo processing.
    44. Silver EFEX pro is the best b/w converter.
    45. Carry your camera with you everywhere. Everywhere.
    46. Never let photography get in the way of enjoying life.
    47. Don’t pamper your camera. Use and abuse it.
    48. Take straight photos.
    49. Shoot with confidence.
    50. Photography and juxtaposition are best friends.
    51. Print out your photos big. They will make you happy.
    52. Give your photos to friends.
    53. Give them to strangers.
    54. Don’t forget to frame them.
    55. Costco prints are cheap and look great.
    56. Go out and take photos with (a) friend(s).
    57. Join a photo club or start one for yourself.
    58. Photos make great presents.
    59. Taking photos of strangers is thrilling.
    60. Candid>Posed.
    61. Natural light is the best light.
    62. 35mm (on full frame) is the best “walk-around” focal length.
    63. Don’t be afraid to bump up your ISO when necessary.
    64. You don’t need to always bring a tripod with you everywhere you go (hell, I don’t even own one).
    65. It is always better to underexpose than overexpose.
    66. Shooting photos of homeless people in an attempt to be “artsy” is exploitation.
    67. You will find the best photo opportunities in the least likely situations.
    68. Photos are always more interesting with the human element included.
    69. You can’t “photoshop” bad images into good ones.
    70. Nowadays everybody is a photographer.
    71. You don’t need to fly to Paris to get good photos; the best photo opportunities are in your backyard.
    72. People with DSLRS who shoot portraits with their grip pointed downwards look like morons.
    73. Cameras as tools, not toys.
    74. In terms of composition, photography and painting aren’t much different.
    75. Photography isn’t a hobby- it’s a lifestyle.
    76. Make photos, not excuses.
    77. Be original in your photography. Don’t try to copy the style of others.
    78. The best photographs tell stories that begs the viewer for more.
    79. Any cameras but black ones draw too much attention.
    80. The more gear you carry around with you the less you will enjoy photography.
    81. Good self-portraits are harder to take than they seem.
    82. Laughter always draws out peoples’ true character in a photograph.
    83. Don’t look suspicious when taking photos- blend in with the environment.
    84. Landscape photography can become dull after a while.
    85. Have fun while taking photos.
    86. Never delete any of your photos.
    87. Be respectful when taking photos of people or places.
    88. When taking candid photos of people in the street, it is easier to use a wide-angle than a telephoto lens.
    89. Travel and photography are the perfect pair.
    90. Learn how to read a histogram.
    91. A noisy photo is better than a blurry one.
    92. Don’t be afraid to take photos in the rain.
    93. Learn how to enjoy the moment, rather than relentlessly trying to capture the perfect picture of it.
    94. Never take photos on an empty stomach.
    95. You will discover a lot about yourself through your photography.
    96. Never hoard your photographic insight- share it with the world.
    97. Never stop taking photos
    98. Photography is more than simply taking photos, it is a philosophy of life
    99. Capture the decisive moment
    100. Write your own list.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

4. Post #1484
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Besides that nice list, can someone give me a few pointers in photography?
    I'm getting a higher-end Point and Shoot (Equal capability DSLR was out of price range, and can't afford extra lenses yet). I plan on buying a small tripod, GorillaPod maybe.

Anyways, does anyone have any pointers so I don't get noisy, blurred messes? I know to keep the ISO as low as possible to avoid static, and the lower shutter speed normally means less blur but a bit more dark.

Should I keep the ISO on auto?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #1485
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,245 Posts
    Pass it on from me, Ed. A worldwide competition finalist deserves a little congratulations i think.

The prize is to a destination of any choice with a pro photographer as your mentor.

The question i just couldn't answer was where?

Where would you go?
    I think somewhere in Eastern Europe or Central Asia. Somewhere round the Caspian or Black Sea would be incredible I think.

Edited:

Street photographer Eric Kim recently posted a list of 100 tips for photography, some cool stuff to keep in mind.
    I think we should all take note of number 8.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #1486
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    Besides that nice list, can someone give me a few pointers in photography?
    I'm getting a higher-end Point and Shoot (Equal capability DSLR was out of price range, and can't afford extra lenses yet). I plan on buying a small tripod, GorillaPod maybe.

Anyways, does anyone have any pointers so I don't get noisy, blurred messes? I know to keep the ISO as low as possible to avoid static, and the lower shutter speed normally means less blur but a bit more dark.

Should I keep the ISO on auto?
    keep your shutter speed above(below? you know what I mean) 1/60, anything like 1/30 will start giving you motion blur unless you have a tripod, keep your iso under 3200 if possible (it's okay to push it but for me anyway I start getting noise)

lower your aperture if you can, if you're just using a point and shoot that might not be an option though...

if you're still having blur/noise issues, idk what to tell you, point and shoots are probably better at autofocus (never tried to manual focus one) and make sure you don't leave your macro setting on while using it for normal shots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1487
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,226 Posts
    I think we should all take note of number 8.
    me especially :P
    i'm guilty of spending more time reading about cameras than shooting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #1488
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    also @pickwickian, yeah that actually gave me a bit of a reminder that i'm not gonna get any better by just sitting here, but i'm supposed to be working on my assignment(was supposed to get a fair bit of it done over the holidays, did absolutely none of it..) and school starts tomorrow
    I could go out and get the shots I want right now, or I could continue the work I just started a bit ago and not get myself into shit tomorrow(i'll still get into it anyway, but less so).. it's a bit of a trade off

of course posting on facepunch probably isn't helping, but i'm using it as a bit of a source (along with flickr and other various sites atm) for some of the research on it, trying to find similar images and some other things
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #1489
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    keep your shutter speed above(below? you know what I mean) 1/60, anything like 1/30 will start giving you motion blur unless you have a tripod, keep your iso under 3200 if possible (it's okay to push it but for me anyway I start getting noise)

lower your aperture if you can, if you're just using a point and shoot that might not be an option though...

if you're still having blur/noise issues, idk what to tell you, point and shoots are probably better at autofocus (never tried to manual focus one) and make sure you don't leave your macro setting on while using it for normal shots

Thank you!

This is the camera by the way.

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.221644300
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #1490
    April 2012
    170 Posts
    I don't know what advice to give now that Kodak's gone bust.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

11. Post #1491
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    it's a shame really, they made some nice point and shoot cameras with lots of settings considering
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1492
    April 2012
    170 Posts
    If you can pick that Kodak up cheaper and still have a full warranty on it, go for it.

If not, look at others with similar specs. Olympus and Nikon make some nice pseudo-DSLR point and shoots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

13. Post #1493
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Got it for $138. Free technically, it was a birthday gift.

14. Post #1494
    That tip list was nice, expect the one where he says 'Print your photos, that'll make you happy'. It'll eat my wallet and I'll be sad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #1495
    November 2008
    2,340 Posts
    That tip list was nice, expect the one where he says 'Print your photos, that'll make you happy'. It'll eat my wallet and I'll be sad.
    agree'd, the bits about giving prints to friends and framing photos etc has got me inspired to do just that :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #1496
    April 2012
    170 Posts
    Got it for $138. Free technically, it was a birthday gift.
    Oh man you did well.

17. Post #1497
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,226 Posts
    agree'd, the bits about giving prints to friends and framing photos etc has got me inspired to do just that :)
    yeah i'm going to make some prints this weekend, and i have some film prints i want to send to people. i'm also trying to make a photo album of my film pictures since prints for me are $3 for 24
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #1498
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Are there any shots I just shouldn't take? Like, my phone is loaded with random pictures of things ranging from the cheese aisle at Publix, to a dog taking a dump in someones yard.
    My phone was my only camera until recently.

19. Post #1499
    April 2012
    170 Posts
    Take photos of anything you like... it's up to you... you'll filter out the terrible ones when it's time to share the ones you're proud of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #1500
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    should take low angle macro shots of the dog's shit with the sun low on the horizon in the background

that'd look both cool and disgusting
    edit:
    make the shit the landscape
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

21. Post #1501
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,675 Posts

Shot handheld, but at ISO HI1, hence the meganoise.

Not creative photography so I'm putting this in the OT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

22. Post #1502
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    damn, I really do wish to see an aurora one day, I imagine they're quite the sight

23. Post #1503
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,245 Posts

Shot handheld, but at ISO HI1, hence the meganoise.

Not creative photography so I'm putting this in the OT.
    I can't imagine what that must have been like, viewing it from a plane.
    Incredible Roll_
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #1504
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,701 Posts
    do you have a higher resolution of that one dude?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #1505
    I think my error is taking photography as not much more than a hobby when I have the tools to start seriously learning it.
    Problem is, the only places that teach photography here are like, courses and colleges. The courses are expensive as fuck and I'm still not in college.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

26. Post #1506
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,979 Posts
    I think my error is taking photography as not much more than a hobby when I have the tools to start seriously learning it.
    Problem is, the only places that teach photography here are like, courses and colleges. The courses are expensive as fuck and I'm still not in college.
    Learn by looking at and taking more good photos. Develop your own particular taste for photos, style, etc. Looking at bad photos is also good, as it helps you if you understand what is making the photo bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1507
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,672 Posts
    So I am contemplating taking out a loan for a refurbished MKII
    I want to start my own business of sorts as there are hardly any good photographers in my area. Having a full frame as well as my current pentax k-x should be a good start on it.

Gonna try to do some business with a local photographer later on today and see how I can perhaps get my foot in the door.

28. Post #1508
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    been doing editing for a video, i just discovered pluraleyes and it's saved my fucking life honestly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #1509
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    hey man my photography work is just hobby work, you don't have to "learn it" from other places so much as you have to learn it on your own. Learning techniques and theory is helpful, but you can only learn to appropriately frame certain things by actually trying it out, multiple times and in different ways etc.

Just because the theory says this, doesn't mean it always looks good, etc.

Edited:

it's sort of like learning an instrument, instructions can help but the only way you "learn" it is by actually doing it yourself

you can't just watch instructions and do nothing, that doesn't achieve anything etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #1510
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    So I've only used a few rolls of B&W film and I wanna try out my ME Super with color. Any suggestions on which brand of color film to get? And I can still get negatives developed at wallgreens or the Camera Company right? Because I can only develop B&W in the dark room here at school.

31. Post #1511
    March 2011
    653 Posts
    I would say use Ektar if you like vivid colours (I love ektar)
    Fuji Superia X-tra 400 isn't too bad
    and the Kodak colorplus has good colours but is rather grainy

also avoid fuji c200 the colours are very dull
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #1512
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,226 Posts
    titles are $1, should i buy a title

33. Post #1513
    November 2008
    2,340 Posts
    I might buy one and put my name backwards.. idk think it might look cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1514
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,226 Posts
    i don't know what i would make mine, probably something stupid that would look stupid
    maybe i'll make it HQRSE

35. Post #1515
    HQRSE, oh wow.

nostalgy flashes me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #1516
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,226 Posts
    my avatar is a horse it's perfect

37. Post #1517
    I was kinda wondering this but I wouldn't know what to put in my new title

Edited:

Motherfucker, why is namechange still $20, I wanna fix the caps and underscore on my name :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

38. Post #1518
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    I would say use Ektar if you like vivid colours (I love ektar)
    Fuji Superia X-tra 400 isn't too bad
    and the Kodak colorplus has good colours but is rather grainy

also avoid fuji c200 the colours are very dull
    Uh, Ektar has the most neutral colors from what I have seen. Superia X-tra 400 is actually pretty good. Nice saturation, not super grainy and pretty cheap.
    Buy some Ektar 100 and some Superia 200 or 400. Those are some films I like
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #1519
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    Uh, Ektar has the most neutral colors from what I have seen. Superia X-tra 400 is actually pretty good. Nice saturation, not super grainy and pretty cheap.
    Buy some Ektar 100 and some Superia 200 or 400. Those are some films I like
    Ektar is super saturated, super contrasty, and has a general orange-y tinge, or at least in the ~15 rolls of it I've shot.

Portra on the other hand is super neutral, lowish contrast and huge tonal range.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #1520
    November 2008
    2,340 Posts
    guys, my mum just told me to take some nice photos of my cat because he has been booked in to be put down tomorrow morning. I feel like my camera is tainted now :(

also, because the images are going to be blown up i set up a few brenizers but i dont have photoshop at all so would anyone mind doing the automerge for me if i emailed them the files?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)