1. Post #481
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,948 Posts
    what
    with hallowed armor you should get defense that's in the 50's
    Three more armor as in three more than adamantite. Besides, I'm a mage so it went from 28 to 31 total defense. Comparing the Warrior variants of both adamantite and hallowed... hallow has 50 compared to adamantite's 46. 4 more armor negates 2 more damage, which is absolutely nothing at that point.

I mean, I'm only complaining because there is literally nothing to do after grinding so long to get such good armor, not to mention the fact that the general set bonus is worse than adamantite's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

2. Post #482
    PERKELE
    May 2009
    6,031 Posts
    Three more armor as in three more than adamantite. Besides, I'm a mage so it went from 28 to 31 total defense. Comparing the Warrior variants of both adamantite and hallowed... hallow has 50 compared to adamantite's 46. 4 more armor negates 2 more damage, which is absolutely nothing at that point.

I mean, I'm only complaining because there is literally nothing to do after grinding so long to get such good armor, not to mention the fact that the general set bonus is worse than adamantite's.
    Well, the warrior set is quite amazing. 19% more movement and melee speed and way more melee damage from helmet+shirt+pants stats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

3. Post #483
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,948 Posts
    Well, the warrior set is quite amazing. 19% more movement and melee speed and way more melee damage from helmet+shirt+pants stats.
    Adamantite is 18% more movement/speed, so it will literally make no difference unless the weapon you are using does over 100 damage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #484
    Gold Member

August 2008
    2,913 Posts
    What in the world are you talking about?

Also this game has, hands down, the most disappointing end I've ever experienced in any game. A friend and I have been playing practically non-stop for the past 4 days and it just... ends. I realize they're adding more things, but there should be at least something like "With full Hallowed armor you can teleport with a spell costing 200 mana to a room above the map that says YOU WIN" and gives you a gold name on all your characters or something.

I mean seriously, 50.4 hours in the span of a few days and all I get is some armor that is WORSE than the previous incarnation? I don't know about you guys, but I think a constant 6% additional damage is much better than a 7% chance to potentially do more damage, let alone getting a grand total of THREE MORE ARMOR!
    What armor is worse than the previous one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

5. Post #485
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,774 Posts
    4 more armor negates 2 more damage, which is absolutely nothing at that point.
    Imagine it in the long run. If you get hit 10 times, it negates 20 damage. That means you can take 200 more hits before you die. (My math may be incorrect, if so, please correct me)

Also, I am a mage, but the headgear is useless, my defense is now 65 with the reforged accessories.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

6. Post #486
    February 2009
    2,740 Posts

Also this game has, hands down, the most disappointing end I've ever experienced in any game. A friend and I have been playing practically non-stop for the past 4 days and it just... ends. I realize they're adding more things, but there should be at least something like "With full Hallowed armor you can teleport with a spell costing 200 mana to a room above the map that says YOU WIN" and gives you a gold name on all your characters or something.

I mean seriously, 50.4 hours in the span of a few days and all I get is some armor that is WORSE than the previous incarnation? I don't know about you guys, but I think a constant 6% additional damage is much better than a 7% chance to potentially do more damage, let alone getting a grand total of THREE MORE ARMOR!
    Get every item
    Fight every boss and invasion and the Dungeon Guardian simultaneously
    Kill the Destroyer with a Vilethorn
    Get rid of all the corruption in a world

There's still much to do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Arab Emirates Show Events

7. Post #487
    September 2009
    2,081 Posts
    Get every item

There's still much to do
    my favorite is making a shitload of explosives and attempting a mission to plant them in the nearest hallow/corruption near you and blowin all dat shit up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #488
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,774 Posts
    I have yet to see anyone purifying the world, or just neutralizing it.

Edited:

my favorite is making a shitload of explosives and attempting a mission to plant them in the nearest hallow/corruption near you and blowin all dat shit up
    Are you Blanca?

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,697 Posts
    If you're looking for huge projects to keep you going, here's one:

Make huge Parliament in Terraria.

Rig with explosives.

Que the 1812 Overture.

????????

Profit!(Or entertainment, at the very least.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

10. Post #490
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,118 Posts
    How does one beat the destroyer alone? I've got full adamantite but this those bosses are crazy

11. Post #491
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,526 Posts
    Do you have 400 Life? Having as much health as possible could help. Maybe the legendary "Crystal Storm" could come in handy too...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #492
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,118 Posts
    Do you have 400 Life? Having as much health as possible could help. Maybe the legendary "Crystal Storm" could come in handy too...
    I've had 400 health since before I fought the eater or worlds, I've decided to try using a chainsaw (makes sense I think)

13. Post #493
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,697 Posts
    I've had 400 health since before I fought the eater or worlds, I've decided to try using a chainsaw (makes sense I think)
    Full Adamantite Armour and 400HP should protect you well enough. Remember to use Regen/Ironskin potions, and Soup.

As for weaponry, I recommend spamming a Phasesaber at him. You shouldn't have much trouble with him then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

14. Post #494
    Zar
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,154 Posts
    I want to play Terraria real fucking bad, but fucking framework will not work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

15. Post #495
    September 2009
    2,081 Posts
    i wish the explosions were more climatic. a slight little boom and a big hole is boring. i want it to be loud and have all sorts of fire and smoke and shit

16. Post #496
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,774 Posts
    Maybe the legendary "Crystal Storm" could come in handy too...
    Mythical, how is hitting the boss with a book supposed to help?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 3Useful Useful x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

17. Post #497
    April 2011
    3,355 Posts
    why is there hallow everywhere on my noob server

Edited:

and by noob server i mean

76.104.37.41:7776 <<< NEW PLAYERS ONLY
    76.104.37.41:7777

Join these guys.
    PM Me your name in Terraria for the password.
    both servers have different passwords

18. Post #498
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,948 Posts
    I honestly don't see how you guys can justify the obscene amount of time getting Hallowed takes by saying "but it has more than 50 defense!". Seems all you guys want to do is ignore whatever I say and throw that back out there.

Adamantite
    Hallowed

I mean, it wouldn't bother me if it was just one of those "next step up" armors, but this is the best of the best and it takes several hours of grinding resources to get. If the process of collecting it was fun, I wouldn't have a problem, but there's an extent to how fun getting ore is.

Imagine it in the long run. If you get hit 10 times, it negates 20 damage. That means you can take 200 more hits before you die. (My math may be incorrect, if so, please correct me)

Also, I am a mage, but the headgear is useless, my defense is now 65 with the reforged accessories.
    200 hits implies that each hit would need to do less than 2 damage, otherwise there's the 400 of your health. Say you get hit 52 damage every time with adamantite. With the hallowed armor, it'd be 50 damage every hit. You could get hit nearly 8 times with adamantite, and... exactly 8 with Hallowed. Thing is, nearly every enemy end game has potential to do that or more, so it's really not much of a difference.

Get every item

There's still much to do
    Yes, but it doesn't really add anything to the game. That's like saying "Ok, you've beaten the campaign in this game, now do it again blindfolded with a pistol"

I know the game doesn't really END, but there's a point to where you can't get any better equipment and when you get to that point, there's nothing much left to do.

Getting every item is one valid point, but it takes so much grinding to get the last items it's not worth it if I'm never going to use them. Killing all the bosses is really pointless except to get resources, once you've already beaten them 4 or 5 times to get Hallowed. Killing the Destroyer with Vilethorn would be a slightly interesting challenge, but it'd just be like a normal battle that was harder because of the weapon. And finally: I'd get rid of corruption if there was a reason for doing it. I spread Hallowed everywhere and got corruption way down, only to find out later there is no reason for doing so unless you want to decrease the ability of collecting certain resources such as rotten chunks.

19. Post #499
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,222 Posts
    I found cobalt armour to be a waste, I actually get better defence (+2 I think) by mixing it with my old molten armour set.

I think they should be at least 10 defence better than the previous tier, making it really worth getting them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #500
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,774 Posts
    I started hard-mode with molten armor and got raped until I got cobalt.

21. Post #501
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,283 Posts
    How does one beat the destroyer alone? I've got full adamantite but this those bosses are crazy
    Personally, I think it's easier to kill Skeletron first. I beat him with mythril armor and a cobalt repeater with unholy arrows (helps massively if you can find a heart dispenser or two.) If you can kill Skeletron, you can make a flamethrower, which is the easiest way to kill the Destroyer. Oh, and once you've killed the Destroyer you can build a megashark, which I've found to be pretty much the only way I can solo the Twins.

Also, I have to agree about the complaints against Hallowed armor. It just feels like such a marginal improvement over adamantite considering the work it takes to get it.

22. Post #502
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,578 Posts

What the hell is wrong with you? The game is supposed to be fun to play why did you grind it '4 days non-stop' if it was just for some digital reward?

Go play world of warcraft or something if you want to play something which isn't fun just to get some shitty title or something that shows how much time you wasted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Zing Zing x 4 (list)

23. Post #503
    I randomly change my avatar every week or so
    September 2010
    5,228 Posts
    Anyone else notice that the "Possessed Armor" is the old cobalt armor from before it was replaced with Jungle Armor?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 7Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #504
    Saged, Hidden, Reported, Filtered & Called the cops
    June 2008
    4,418 Posts
    ugh why is hard mode so retardly hard, giving stupidly high damage to basically all NPCs isn't justifiably a hard mode
    I know it's probably because of the fact that me and my friend just have shadow armor, but we're having our asses handed to us by EVERYTHING, when they do 50-60 damage to us and we do 30-40 damage
    it made us stop playing for the night and now I just want to go "fuck it" with the game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #505
    January 2009
    1,610 Posts
    ugh why is hard mode so retardly hard, giving stupidly high damage to basically all NPCs isn't justifiably a hard mode
    I know it's probably because of the fact that me and my friend just have shadow armor, but we're having our asses handed to us by EVERYTHING, when they do 50-60 damage to us and we do 30-40 damage
    it made us stop playing for the night and now I just want to go "fuck it" with the game
    The developers are kind of masochistic. Plus; it's supposed to give you a terrifying sense of urgency. Especially with the corruption/hallow spreading basically EVERYWHERE ten times as fast.

26. Post #506
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,948 Posts
    What the hell is wrong with you? The game is supposed to be fun to play why did you grind it '4 days non-stop' if it was just for some digital reward?

Go play world of warcraft or something if you want to play something which isn't fun just to get some shitty title or something that shows how much time you wasted.
    A reward wasn't what I wanted at all. A nice ending is what I wanted. That's part of the reason I DON'T play games like that. It was fun, up until about half way into hard mode. At that point, it's just grinding for resources to get armor that's a mediocre amount of better. The title was more for a sense of closure since, once you get the best items, you're basically in limbo with nothing else to do. Open ended games are cool, but I don't understand how games like Terraria and Minecraft don't get more flack for not having any sense of an ending. If a movie just ended abruptly halfway through something, it wouldn't get good reviews.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #507
    February 2009
    2,740 Posts
    A reward wasn't what I wanted at all. A nice ending is what I wanted. That's part of the reason I DON'T play games like that. It was fun, up until about half way into hard mode. At that point, it's just grinding for resources to get armor that's a mediocre amount of better. The title was more for a sense of closure since, once you get the best items, you're basically in limbo with nothing else to do. Open ended games are cool, but I don't understand how games like Terraria and Minecraft don't get more flack for not having any sense of an ending. If a movie just ended abruptly halfway through something, it wouldn't get good reviews.
    Minecraft has an ending but noone cares about it because it's a building game really
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Arab Emirates Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #508
    September 2009
    2,081 Posts
    i want the mohawk cobalt helmet back

as like, a mimic drop or something. only the helmet

29. Post #509
    I randomly change my avatar every week or so
    September 2010
    5,228 Posts
    What sort of purpose would an ending in Terraria serve? There is no plot to Terraria outside of "Okay, you've been dropped in some random land with nothing but basic tools, survive". You don't have any true objective besides that. There is no storyline in Terraria, you aren't collecting things for any sort of ulterior purpose, and there is no magic superitem you can make that summons a final boss. If you really wanted to, you could just build a house and defend it forever with basic tools, never advancing.

The point of Terraria is that you set your own goals. Nothing is forced upon you in Terraria. If you just want to make a bunch of molten stuff and never unleash hardmode on the world you can do that. If you want to reach the point where you can solo all the hardmode bosses then there's nothing stopping you. If you just want to mine a shitton of silt and make a tower out of that that works too.

Terraria wasn't built with the concept of an "end" in mind because it's a sandbox. The whole point of sandbox games is "You've been placed in this world, do with it as you will." Terraria isn't a movie that ends randomly halfway through, it's a movie that keeps playing until you leave the movie theater.

Even if the Devs placed in an "end", it would probably feel very forced and dumb. Have you seen Minecraft's ending? Now there's an example of an ending out of nowhere, placed there just to be able to say "Hey guys, it's an ending!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

30. Post #510
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,948 Posts
    I suppose that's a good point, and I didn't consider that. I just felt that getting all the final stuff would feel a bit more rewarding, or would at least have some sort of purpose. The first time I played Terraria was shortly after it came out, and beating Skeletron was very satisfying because you could get the best stuff before facing him, and he was sort of a "Ok, you've beaten the strongest dude, go make the world yours".

The Souls thing is what really gets me about hardmode. You don't get the best equipment until after beating all of the final bosses, with nothing to really use them on except the same bosses you just beat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #511
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    446 Posts
    I suppose that's a good point, and I didn't consider that. I just felt that getting all the final stuff would feel a bit more rewarding, or would at least have some sort of purpose. The first time I played Terraria was shortly after it came out, and beating Skeletron was very satisfying because you could get the best stuff before facing him, and he was sort of a "Ok, you've beaten the strongest dude, go make the world yours".

The Souls thing is what really gets me about hardmode. You don't get the best equipment until after beating all of the final bosses, with nothing to really use them on except the same bosses you just beat.
    Your name is so fitting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

32. Post #512
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,697 Posts
    Really, Terraria and Minecraft are both games where you have to make your own fun, and if you can, you'll have a great time. Problem is, so many people are so accustomed to linear games, so when they obtain the best items, they sit down, throw their toys at the wall, and moan "I'm booored! Entertain me!"

Minecraft is a perfect example of why these games do not need, nor should they have, endings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

33. Post #513
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,283 Posts
    If a game has numbers in it, I will instantly get bored once I have the highest one. That's why I only play games with letters...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #514
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,526 Posts
    Well, there's always an alternative concerning getting the numbers; make the level cap very high indeed, or give the player more things to do, like a big overarching quest that takes multiple sessions to complete.

Also does anyone else think the default duration of Potion Sickness is a tad too long? 60 seconds is an easy amount of time to die in, whereas 40 seconds would probably be a bit more reasonable. But hey, I guess that's what the Philosopher's Stone is for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

35. Post #515
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,948 Posts
    Really, Terraria and Minecraft are both games where you have to make your own fun, and if you can, you'll have a great time. Problem is, so many people are so accustomed to linear games, so when they obtain the best items, they sit down, throw their toys at the wall, and moan "I'm booored! Entertain me!"

Minecraft is a perfect example of why these games do not need, nor should they have, endings.
    In Minecraft, building is a lot more fleshed out and lasts far longer than in Terraria though. Once you beat the bosses, you're pretty much done unless you want to continue to explore for items which is... pretty boring in itself.

36. Post #516
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,774 Posts
    In Minecraft, building is a lot more fleshed out and lasts far longer than in Terraria though. Once you beat the bosses, you're pretty much done unless you want to continue to explore for items which is... pretty boring in itself.
    So you are saying a game where you just find diamonds and win is better than this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

37. Post #517
    October 2008
    2,421 Posts
    So you are saying a game where you just find diamonds and win is better than this?
    If that's what you think the goal of minecraft is I suppose that's one downside to sandbox games.

I suppose it depends, I spent a massive amount of time improving and redoing my base, including trying to prepare my base for hardmode (which actually went well, aside from hallow spawning in my base). It's actually really nice as I can build when I want then I can go kill shit if I need a break from building.

Not to mention, I think terraria looks a lot better than minecraft, which makes building more rewarding to me.

38. Post #518
    February 2009
    2,740 Posts
    Why are you grinding in a sandbox exploration side-scrolling-shooter build/mine-em-up(games like this should be called that from now on)in the first place?

Edited:

When is 1.2 hurry up I want more contentCOUGHCOUGHMOREBOSSESCOUGH

Also I broke every shadow orb in my world and all the shadow orbs of one small world's corruption and I still don't have a Vilethorn I wanna farm for demon scythes already Jesus
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Arab Emirates Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

39. Post #519
    March 2011
    223 Posts
    Well, an ending could be destroying all the corruption and the hallow, and live in a completely forest-jungle-sea type of area. But that is still not the end, that is where you start over.

40. Post #520
    April 2008
    697 Posts
    Supreme anger. Went to reforge my Angry Demon Wings. Got Angry Demon Wings...
    52 gold for nothing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)