1. Post #8681
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,142 Posts
    Anyone know if we will be able to update and use our beta client for the release? Or will we have to download everything again?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malta Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #8682
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    Bullet had a few questions to ask, so I thought I'd post here for the rest of ya to learn from.

Bullet100 posted:
    Ok I can't stand this...

Your screenshots you took during this beta event astounded me. I always try to make artistic and beautiful screenshots but I can never seem to get them right! I'm interested in how you made yours look so good and how you line up the shots to make them so interesting. I remember you telling me in-game about how you open up the JPG's as RAW, but what exactly do you do to make them pop?
    Adjustments are made per-picture, but my process goes pretty straight down the line once you get into RAW, especially with CS6. The raw process in CS5 has a few more sliders, but they ultimately do the same things. The new flow just combines some into being positives/negatives on a single slider, instead of two sliders that both just go positive but contradict each other.

Since you ask about it below, let's open this picture. Here you see it straight from the game-

and here's some 100% size snips

so, what we'll do is open it in RAW format, by going to "File > Open As...", and choosing the RAW format, which is the ridiculously long line of filetypes. Hard to miss. You then find your jpg (only works on jpg, so you'll have to convert to a full quality jpg from other formats if you want this to work), and opening it up.

alrighty, I'm not going to explain what everything does, so I'm just going to sweep through what I did. One thing that I've been using in particular is the Clarity amount, though; it sharpens the image up a bit, but don't blast it all the way up (or any other slider). Side-note, turning it to negatives gives a soft and hazy look.

Your process should be simple- start from the top and work your way down, observing how each slider affects the image and finding a point you like. I prefer to play with black level first to get a deeper contrast to start with, though you can do whatever. White balance shouldn't be an issue at this point, leave it alone.

this picture didn't appear to change much, but there's a bit more contrast, and the shadows are brought out so you can see better detail in the underside of the bridge, without it looking unnatural. Also, the clarity is up, which really boosts the look of the stone and detailed underside of the bridge-

0 clarity (no adjustment)

+44 clarity (my setting)

This image is so beautiful but I'm curious how you made the Depth of Field blur?
    This is actually a plugin I have for photoshop, which I got to help enhance pictures taken with less-than-favorable conditions like overbright sunlight where I can't shoot with an open aperture, but I want that creamy soft background anyways. I could spend a few hundred on neutral denisity filters to mount on my lenses and allow me to open up my settings with the actual shots, but the advantages of the software are better for the fact I can enhance things like photos out of cell phones or point-and-clicks, or screenshots.

The software is Alienskin Bokeh 2. Before we open the plugin (there's a 15 day trial if you want to poke at it), you'll need to make a selection mask; This is an area you'd like to remain in-focus nomatter what, like a cut-out in front of the soon-to-be-smoothed background. I simply used the polygonal lasso to make a selection of this area.

(highlighted so you understand which part is 'inside' the selection-

I highlighted more than just the character because it would look really unnatural if for some reason the bridge (as it gets closer) and that monument got more out of focus like the background to the left, since the focus gets blurrier the farther away something is from your focal point.

In the program, I made two falloffs:
    -one 'planar' mask, which has a sharp center focus and gets blurrier until you reach the end (solid line and two dotted lines in the below shot)
    -one 'half' planar with just one direction of going sharp to blurry, which was to help sharpen up the stone wall at the bottom, though I didn't like how it came out last time.

Here's a shot of the masks, where white is sharp focus and black is the heaviest level of the bokeh effect. Normally in the program it shows you the final blurred result but you've already seen that-

How did you get your camera angle like this image?
    four shots, at 90 degree angles from each other, looking as straight down as I could, though there was obviously a bit of angle in there.

Simply did a photomerge in photoshop (also found in the File > Automate menu)

when you merge images that came in at different angles (and it recognizes the parralax), it'll actually apply perspective changes and lay them together properly, but this means you're going to have some parts of the picture you can't include in the final composition without adding some more picture in between gaps

Do you take hundreds of screenshots to get a few good ones? Kind of like our group shot where we had certain perfect timing moments that only one shot would be perfect
    for the group shots, I was definitely snapping away to find the right bits to different pictures. Sometimes it's best to do that than rely on catching the perfect single picture, though it still requires timing and method to catch the right bits. "Spray and Pray" methodology can actually be done right, though usually it's seen as a terrible crutch.

The final edited group shot is made up of four different shots hand-painted together. Yes, I said painted, I actually did brushwork to blend and modify things.

[Sorry for all the crazy questions but these have been bothering me all weekend]

I understand that your a professional photographer. I'm an amateur photographer myself but still have a lot to learn. So I understand the basics of compositions and how lighting alters the environment. I also know that this is a skill that takes experience and time to master, but I plan on taking a lot of pictures (you should see my current gaming screenshot folder). Anyways you don't have to spill your secrets to me or you don't have to answer at all. I'm really just showing my fascination towards your work.

Thanks
    always happy to answer questions and give tips. <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 10Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #8683
    Obsessive Screenshot Disorder
    December 2005
    7,376 Posts
    oh my god thank you! <3

I will try these techniques out once I get home! I got to grab CS6 and get some plugins for it too. Have any recommendations for that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #8684
    CRUSHER OF DREAMS AND EATER OF SKITTLES
    August 2007
    5,615 Posts
    I've been thinking, I have a few friends that I would like to invite to the guild but they don't browse Facepunch. I'm wondering if you guys are bothered by this at all?

I'm thinking that we should create a Guild Rank for Facepunchers and another for Non-Facepunchers for friends of Facepunchers (if that makes sense at all).

GOD EMPEROR OF THE UNIVERSE
    "Mighty/Sexy" Officer
    Facepunch Member
    Fixed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #8685
    December 2005
    7,376 Posts
    I remember someone asking about this a few pages back:

"Guild halls will not be included in the initial release of Guild Wars 2; they will be implemented some time later."
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...47#entry887047
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #8686
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,879 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #8687
    December 2005
    7,376 Posts
    Oh god I can't wait to upload the video I got of all those bots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #8688
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,879 Posts
    Oh god I can't wait to upload the video I got of all those bots.
    They where awesome. I got attacked at one point and they swarmed him and dropped all the reflective shields.

And they where pointing me around to apples to eat.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #8689
    August 2007
    5,615 Posts
    So... is it out yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #8690
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    So... is it out yet?
    yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #8691
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,961 Posts
    Daijitsu: He's art mod for a reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #8692
    August 2007
    5,615 Posts
    yay

Edited:

Daijitsu: He's art mod for a reason.
    He's not a mod, he's a spaghetti ruiner.

13. Post #8693
    December 2005
    7,376 Posts
    MY SPAGHETTI! RUINED!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #8694
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    quoting because I can't get enough of it

this is how we will feel until release
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #8695
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,961 Posts
    I'M DROWNING IN A SEA OF MY REGRET AND LAMENT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #8696
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,580 Posts
    So... is it out yet?
    1 month

17. Post #8697
    December 2005
    7,376 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 2 (list)

18. Post #8698
    June 2010
    1,813 Posts
    I was the gigantic black guy, lol.

Edited:

The best part is he is a mesmer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #8699

December 2011
    606 Posts
    Who else was running on a beta-only key, not pre-order? My girlfriend says she had something crazy like 4,000 gems on her account (with the beta key we got earlier in the thread). I assume they wanted them to try out the gem store since they couldn't buy gems for an account that doesn't exist
    I had none, I got key from curse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #8700
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    Longing to play this, haven't played the beta or anything but it looks great. Been trying to get into MMORPG's, WoW and Rift to be specific. Plenty of good ones upcoming though, City of Steam, Rift 2 and this. Definitely gonna get this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #8701
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts

Edited:

you know, that's a thought I was having.

I don't RP, but when I make a character I actually think about the background and concept of them. I kind of work in a little backstory on why they are their class, and fit that to what they are and how they look.

I know the game doesn't focus on racial bonuses to classes, so every player is just as good as the next so long as they know what they're doing, opening up the personalization aspect much more since you're not restricted to making a specific race character so you're a percentage better at a class if you don't want to

but I always want a nice aspect of believability to the character if I work it out. Like, my asura isn't a physical fighter, they're too small and weak. Clearly I'd prefer magic and tech for them, and lore-wise they obviously fit that degree.

-Humans would be all-around, I can't imagine what they wouldn't do to some degree. Probably first choice to me if I want to go thief or engineer. I've got a thief character I'd like to start early on, beta glitched her out on me though.

Norn would clearly dominate more physical classes like warrior and guardian, though necromancer isn't too far fetched sounding to me

Charr in lore are based around industrialism, though I can't really see them as engineers; they feel too bulky and probably too clumsy with those claws for much other than large industrial things, much less gadgets and such. I'd see them going more into the warrior and ranger classes, avoiding magic. Maybe a thief if I can secure the Katia Managan name

Sylvari would be a major magic class, clearly elementalist, mesmer and ranger fit in at first thought. Thief sound pretty interesting in concept as well, they're sleek in design and- being made of nature- feel like they'd be very stealthy in nature settings.

Of course we're going to have intentional joke combinations, like asura who tank hard as warriors, gigantic black mesmers, sylvari flamethrower engineers, maybe even charr hunters with a cat would seem kind of a joke in itself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #8702
    January 2012
    1,825 Posts
    I remember someone asking about this a few pages back:

"Guild halls will not be included in the initial release of Guild Wars 2; they will be implemented some time later."
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...47#entry887047
    That's a bummer to know they won't be out at release, but it's good to know that they will actually still be put in at some point. Thanks for answering my question!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #8703
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    oh my god thank you! <3

I will try these techniques out once I get home! I got to grab CS6 and get some plugins for it too. Have any recommendations for that?
    yes you need all of this color control open on your window at all times in order to be considered pro even if it obstructs your view when you're not using it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #8704
    Chief Gunnery Sgt. of the SS Shitpost
    March 2009
    16,446 Posts
    I didn't realize there was a Facepunch guild during the BWE :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #8705
    January 2011
    2,301 Posts
    At higher levels I think people will be used to it, but I found I was running away from Charr in the beta even though they were the same level as me. Wheras with Asura I rushed right in.

So which is better, the illusion of being stronger or the benefit of hiding from view as the smallest size possible?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #8706
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    At higher levels I think people will be used to it, but I found I was running away from Charr in the beta even though they were the same level as me. Wheras with Asura I rushed right in.

So which is better, the illusion of being stronger or the benefit of hiding from view as the smallest size possible?
    let's just make the entire guild charr and pvp, running around as a solid pack. Tsunami of terror
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

27. Post #8707
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    6,959 Posts
    let's just make the entire guild charr and pvp, running around as a solid pack. Tsunami of terror
    all asura, zerg rush the enemy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #8708
    January 2010
    2,725 Posts
    all asura, zerg rush the enemy
    Asura thieves.

29. Post #8709
    August 2007
    5,615 Posts
    Charr in lore are based around industrialism, though I can't really see them as engineers; they feel too bulky and probably too clumsy with those claws for much other than large industrial things, much less gadgets and such. I'd see them going more into the warrior and ranger classes, avoiding magic. Maybe a thief if I can secure the Katia Managan name
    UHHHHH...

Reserved it in GW1 so I could have a female charr elementalist that is a chef, so I can make my own alcohol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

30. Post #8710
    January 2012
    1,825 Posts
    Mud wrestle for it.

31. Post #8711
    x 1 (list)
    September 2011
    11,432 Posts
    Asura thieves.
    Or a pack of massive Norn Mesmers

Use Mass Invisibility to maintain stealth until you can surround an enemy, then suddenly reappear and destroy them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #8712
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    UHHHHH...

Reserved it in GW1 so I could have a female charr elementalist that is a chef, so I can make my own alcohol.
    You have officially earned it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #8713
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    5,259 Posts
    you know, that's a thought I was having.

I don't RP, but when I make a character I actually think about the background and concept of them. I kind of work in a little backstory on why they are their class, and fit that to what they are and how they look.

I know the game doesn't focus on racial bonuses to classes, so every player is just as good as the next so long as they know what they're doing, opening up the personalization aspect much more since you're not restricted to making a specific race character so you're a percentage better at a class if you don't want to

but I always want a nice aspect of believability to the character if I work it out. Like, my asura isn't a physical fighter, they're too small and weak. Clearly I'd prefer magic and tech for them, and lore-wise they obviously fit that degree.

-Humans would be all-around, I can't imagine what they wouldn't do to some degree. Probably first choice to me if I want to go thief or engineer. I've got a thief character I'd like to start early on, beta glitched her out on me though.

Norn would clearly dominate more physical classes like warrior and guardian, though necromancer isn't too far fetched sounding to me

Sylvari would be a major magic class, clearly elementalist, mesmer and ranger fit in at first thought. Thief sound pretty interesting in concept as well, they're sleek in design and- being made of nature- feel like they'd be very stealthy in nature settings.

Of course we're going to have intentional joke combinations, like asura who tank hard as warriors, gigantic black mesmers, sylvari flamethrower engineers, maybe even charr hunters with a cat would seem kind of a joke in itself
    For engineers, I think the only race that doesn't fit is the Sylvari, as their society is mostly based on biological processes; Their homes are grown from plants and their weapons, clothing and armour and so forth are grown instead of forged (at least the sylvari high end stuff). I wouldn't be surprised if they imported firearms, swords and axes from human territory. Charr focus on the seige and warfare side of engineering, humans I would think would look towards delicate items or just general engineering (considering how much ground they have lost, fortification design would be a big industry). The Norn too require engineers to build their holds and forge new weapons technologies to scratch Jornmag's tooth. And the Asura don't really seem to be engineers so much as powerful mages who seek to automate their empire.

For elementalists there isn't really any race that doesn't fit, although I think there would be a lot more elementalists among the Flame Legion compared to the other legions. And I'd imagine there would be a lot more Asuran elementalists than engineers.

Warriors and guardians also don't speak to any one race as it is a dangerous world out there. While the idea of Asuran soldiers in heavy armour sounds funny their size does help in PvP (harder to spot, although that doesn't count for much).

For thiefs I don't think it would fit with the Norn's ideals. Whereas Asurans would find a thief's skillset befitting their intellect and provide them with a method to prove their problem solving abilities. And the Charr's Ash Legion is essentially a very large intelligence agency.

For rangers, the odd man out is the Asuran as they are more about controlling their surroundings than being one with them. On the flip side, I think Sylvari fit the ranger role very well. The ranger meshes well with the Norn's strong individualist nature and Charr scouts would probably all belong to a ranger cadre.

For mesmers I can see a lot of Asura putting their intellect to use in trickery and shenanigans whereas I think the Charr and Norn would prefer a more straight forward brawl. I'm not sure about the Sylvari but I think it would involve poison and hallucinatory spores.

Necromancers I'm not sure about, but I think the Charr would have a higher number of them in an effort to combat the Ascalonian ghosts.

I've left out Humans from the majority of that since they have been typecast into generalists by most games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

34. Post #8714
    December 2005
    7,376 Posts

Edited:

Dude you should have seen my face when I first saw you next to my Sylvari... You're so fucking huge (that's not what she said).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #8715
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,580 Posts
    how do you tell if an account is beta only?

36. Post #8716
    June 2010
    1,514 Posts
    how do you tell if an account is beta only?
    did you pay for it? If you got it in a competition it is most likely a beta only pass, which competition did you win it from.

god i need to log in fast when the game comes out i cant reserve my name for gw2 because gw1 doesn't accept one word names.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #8717
    December 2005
    7,376 Posts
    did you pay for it? If you got it in a competition it is most likely a beta only pass, which competition did you win it from.

god i need to log in fast when the game comes out i cant reserve my name for gw2 because gw1 doesn't accept one word names.
    Yeah I'm going to do the same thing! Got all my characters planned so I can do it quick:

Don't judge me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 2Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #8718
    June 2010
    1,514 Posts
    the deadline for name reservation is July 31. just for other peoples reference. Have they said anything about adding in dance animations, i feel like dance syncing was a huge community booster in gw1.

I was so busy having fun in pvp i completely forgot to take some good screenshot's of my chars.

39. Post #8719
    December 2005
    7,376 Posts
    Crap I just realized that some of my names won't work because they will be reserved from GW1 by other characters! Augh now I got to rethink of two more names.

I hate coming up with names. What would you guys call me besides Bullet?

40. Post #8720
    October 2009
    1,865 Posts
    Yeah I'm going to do the same thing! Got all my characters planned so I can do it quick:

Don't judge me.
    I actually have a video of my character creation >_>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)