1. Post #2321
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    9,670 Posts
    I don't think voting should be compulsory, because it means dumb people vote, and our government gets crapper
    They can not vote if they want to, but they must show up on the day...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

2. Post #2322
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    762 Posts
    They can not vote if they want to, but they must show up on the day...
    Which is just a massive waste of time for everybody involved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2323
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    9,670 Posts
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/pl...611-205gp.html

What a mad dawg

Not really... it means their vote counted. If there's a 99% turnout, and 95% of votes recorded, it means 5% did not vote for a party or person.

4. Post #2324
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,881 Posts
    Compulsory voting means it's more a game of keeping everyone not pissed off at you. You don't do stupid things that will alienate voters because a huge amount of them are swing voters with no decision making beyond who feels better.

Better than non-compulsory such as in the US where it's more about building a block of motivated supporters with enough effort to go and vote and ignoring everyone else. With most people not interested in politics completely abstaining, the game is ruled by those who are passionate, which is most often the fanatics.

5. Post #2325
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,307 Posts
    Fining me if I don't vote alienates me, I tell you what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

6. Post #2326
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    Fining me if I don't vote alienates me, I tell you what
    Isn't it like a $40 fine?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #2327
    You don't have to vote if you're out of the country and can't get to an embassy or have medical reasons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

8. Post #2328
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,881 Posts

9. Post #2329
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,206 Posts
    $20 isn't bad, compare it to a speeding/parking ticket or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #2330
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,000 Posts
    I still need to change my address.

11. Post #2331
    Not a very good Member
    January 2010
    2,398 Posts

god forbid you would have to go out of your way for 5 minutes to a polling station, located practically everywhere.

12. Post #2332
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,536 Posts
    Mandatory voting is still stupid in my opinion, if you're not interested to vote you shouldn't vote at all. Let the votes come from people who actually care about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #2333
    April 2005
    9,670 Posts
    Mandatory voting is still stupid in my opinion, if you're not interested to vote you shouldn't vote at all. Let the votes come from people who actually care about it.
    Then don't vote... just attend and blank vote.
    Look at America. The lack of compulsory voting results in completely polarised / extreme parties, because only people interested vote.

Is it really that hard to spend 30mins of your day about 3 times over 3 years?

Edited:

Devodiere already covered it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2334
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,727 Posts
    Jesus Christ, the 24 weather forecast was just being displayed on SBS with 'O Fortuna' playing over the top.

Needlessy epic. By far the most dramatic weather forecast I've ever observed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #2335
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,206 Posts
    Actually if you don't want to drive to the polling booth, just do a postal vote.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #2336
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    No because then the apathetic but assuredly moderate upper middle class suburban vote won't exist and we'll get a bunch of Katters and Milnes running the country rather than anything particularly representative.

17. Post #2337
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,716 Posts
    So it's fucking windy here 125kph not fun

18. Post #2338
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,958 Posts
    Does anyone else think that the speed limits in our country are to slow, particularly on free ways and long interstate roads? Look at Europe, they only have to get 100kms to the next major city and thy do (depending on where it is in Europe) anything from 130 to unlimited. While we in Australia, where the next major city is 800km away do 110km all the way.

Instead of having some arbitrary 110 limit, we should have a limit based on the road and number of users. A decent free way could be 150-160. An outback deserted road could also be that seeing as their is no one else to smash into.

They had an unlimited speed limit on outback roads in the NT for ages and it worked out fine, though they dragged it down to 130 recently

19. Post #2339
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2009
    3,687 Posts
    I love how the media made this storm look like a fucking category 8 Cyclone when it'll probably just be a bit more windy then your normal storm.

20. Post #2340
    April 2005
    9,670 Posts
    Does anyone else think that the speed limits in our country are to slow, particularly on free ways and long interstate roads? Look at Europe, they only have to get 100kms to the next major city and thy do (depending on where it is in Europe) anything from 130 to unlimited. While we in Australia, where the next major city is 800km away do 110km all the way.
    Our roads are shit compared to Europe, but getting there.

Have a read of this article: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=au

Instead of having some arbitrary 110 limit, we should have a limit based on the road and number of users. A decent free way could be 150-160. An outback deserted road could also be that seeing as their is no one else to smash into.
    Not anymore. There was once a day when the drivers were relied upon to decide a reasonable speed, but they soon realised that they could not do so, drivers are stupid and will kill themselves, and thus decided to fall back to a speed limit. There's no place in the world that has a freeway of over 140KM/h (minus Germany of course) - that amount is unrelastic.

As for 110, it's not so arbitrary, there are factors why that limit is such, and not higher. Specifically, none of our major roads connecting cities are completely "grade-separated". The previous article will explain it more.

21. Post #2341
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,782 Posts
    Doing 110 on the freeways around Sydney is a good way to flip your car when you go over the high wind areas

22. Post #2342
    April 2005
    9,670 Posts
    Doing 110 on the freeways around Sydney is a good way to flip your car when you go over the high wind areas
    It feels scary when you've got 100+km/h gusts coming in from the side while travelling at speeds, but I doubt it's that dangerous for a car, which has a low centre of gravity.

23. Post #2343
    July 2006
    6,958 Posts
    Our roads are shit compared to Europe, but getting there.

Have a read of this article: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=au

Not anymore. There was once a day when the drivers were relied upon to decide a reasonable speed, but they soon realised that they could not do so, drivers are stupid and will kill themselves, and thus decided to fall back to a speed limit. There's no place in the world that has a freeway of over 140KM/h (minus Germany of course) - that amount is unrelastic.

As for 110, it's not so arbitrary, there are factors why that limit is such, and not higher. Specifically, none of our major roads connecting cities are completely "grade-separated". The previous article will explain it more.
    But there are roads that would be suitable for more than 110km/h. Maybe a lot aren't, but I can name 2 straight away, just in Adelaide that are very safe and very well maintained

24. Post #2344
    April 2005
    9,670 Posts
    But there are roads that would be suitable for more than 110km/h. Maybe a lot aren't, but I can name 2 straight away, just in Adelaide that are very safe and very well maintained
    What would they be? I'm doubtful that they would - we simply don't have the funds to increase the roads over 110KM/h, while still maintaining safety.

25. Post #2345
    July 2006
    6,958 Posts
    The Southern Expressway and the Princes Highway (The Princes Highway would only be like that for the first 100km out of Adelaide, after that it turns to shit)

26. Post #2346
    You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
    January 2007
    1,961 Posts
    Gonna be part of the World Record Attempt at ANZ Stadium for Origin tonight, should be fun.

27. Post #2347
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    6,994 Posts
    Compulsory voting is why the National Sex Party do so well every election.

Well, better off than any political party named the National Sex Party has any right to be..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

28. Post #2348
    July 2006
    6,958 Posts
    The Sex party have some very good views
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #2349
    April 2005
    9,670 Posts
    The Southern Expressway and the Princes Highway (The Princes Highway would only be like that for the first 100km out of Adelaide, after that it turns to shit)
    Both are not capable of faster speeds.

The Southern Expressway has too much traffic for it (suburban freeways are never higher than 100, and inner city freeways 80), plus light posts near the edge of the road with no crash barriers, and it's not properly marked due to it being reversible (exits being on the right).

The South Eastern Freeway has no central barriers where the median is unlevel, central areas to allow emergency vehicles to do U-turns (these must be locked for higher speeds, due to the huge risk when being used), no emergency lane in some places (vehicles would be required to stop on the road if they break down).

Then there's the issue with drivers...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

30. Post #2350
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    i never understood road science

been to counties with worse roads, better speed limits than here
    been to countries with better roads, slower speed limits (that don't seem to be enforced)

still can't understand why a good chunk of the hume is 110, you can do a lot faster than that safely in a good car, but I guess you can't make money from distance over time cameras then

31. Post #2351
    July 2006
    6,958 Posts
    Both are not capable of faster speeds.

The Southern Expressway has too much traffic for it (suburban freeways are never higher than 100, and inner city freeways 80), plus light posts near the edge of the road with no crash barriers, and it's not properly marked due to it being reversible (exits being on the right).

The South Eastern Freeway has no central barriers where the median is unlevel, central areas to allow emergency vehicles to do U-turns (these must be locked for higher speeds, due to the huge risk when being used), no emergency lane in some places (vehicles would be required to stop on the road if they break down).

Then there's the issue with drivers...
    I don't agree. They're at the same level as German Autobahns, and I'm not asking for an unlimited speed limit.

32. Post #2352
    April 2005
    9,670 Posts
    still can't understand why a good chunk of the hume is 110, you can do a lot faster than that safely in a good car, but I guess you can't make money from distance over time cameras then
    See the article posted previously. It'd be nice to see the Hume 130KM/h, but there are good reasons why it's not. Specifically, there are intersections in the road.

I don't agree. They're at the same level as German Autobahns, and I'm not asking for an unlimited speed limit.
    Nowhere near dude!
    This is a pretty average chuck of the South Eastern Freeway.

U-Turn spot, no crash barriers, trees in the verge, before that, an unguarded bridge.

This is a pretty average older autobahn road, with a limit of 130KM/h.

Note the central crash barriers the whole way, the level pavement in the emergency lane, crash barriers along the side for the most part, level road.

Another thing the Germans have an advantage in: are drivers actually give a shit. Lane discipline is important at high speeds, and currently we have none. We have tailgating galore, right lane hogs, overtaking on the left, people who sit in the middle. It's all part and parcel of higher speeds.

Edited:

Double crash barriers too

33. Post #2353
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,000 Posts
    I don't think my car could go over 110km/h. I've had it up to that and it was struggling.
    So having higher road limits would just be dangerous for smaller cars with smaller engines, especially the whole crazy with small cars like the 'smart' cars and getz and so on.

34. Post #2354
    April 2005
    9,670 Posts
    How would it be dangerous? It's a speed limit. Keep left unless overtaking.

If a speed limit was 130KM/h, I'd only be going 120KM/h because my car revs too high otherwise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #2355
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,000 Posts

If a speed limit was 130KM/h, I'd only be going 120KM/h because my car revs too high otherwise.
    Even if you keep left, other cars can still over take, even if they're not going the speed limit.
    And having cars pull out going slower into a lane of fast moving cars seems unsafe to me.

36. Post #2356
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts

yeah pretty much ^

drove this little piece of shit across japan, speeding 20-30kmh over the limit most the time on expressways (mainly to keep up with others speeding around me) I found this to be commonplace, especially in rural areas. Ridiculously low speed limits that nobody adheres to, but apparently some areas have some kind of % allowance on excess

felt kinda safe, engine did it pretty tough

Edited:

Even if you keep left, other cars can still over take, even if they're not going the speed limit.
    And having cars pull out going slower into a lane of fast moving cars seems unsafe to me.
    they can keep up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #2357
    April 2005
    9,670 Posts
    Only because of how you're used to it. As we do it now, tailgate tailgate tailgate, oh a chance, cut infront, tailgate tailgate.

If we have higher speeds, we need more patience and larger spaces. It's not dangerous. I hate to use the autobahn as an example, but on the unrestricted sections, why aren't there constant crashes?

They don't pull out into traffic, they're patient, and wait for faster cars to go past them before pulling out into the overtaking lane.

38. Post #2358
    July 2006
    6,958 Posts
    See the article posted previously. It'd be nice to see the Hume 130KM/h, but there are good reasons why it's not. Specifically, there are intersections in the road.

Nowhere near dude!
    This is a pretty average chuck of the South Eastern Freeway.

U-Turn spot, no crash barriers, trees in the verge, before that, an unguarded bridge.

This is a pretty average older autobahn road, with a limit of 130KM/h.

Note the central crash barriers the whole way, the level pavement in the emergency lane, crash barriers along the side for the most part, level road.

Another thing the Germans have an advantage in: are drivers actually give a shit. Lane discipline is important at high speeds, and currently we have none. We have tailgating galore, right lane hogs, overtaking on the left, people who sit in the middle. It's all part and parcel of higher speeds.

Edited:

Double crash barriers too
    Oh look, another part of the freeway.

Ta dah

Most of it's good, there are a few crap places that could be fixed, all they need is crash barriers

Have you ever driven on the Southern Express way? It's like this for the entire length. For those who can't go fast on it, just go slow, and drive in the left lane

Edited:

yeah pretty much ^

drove this little piece of shit across japan, speeding 20-30kmh over the limit most the time on expressways (mainly to keep up with others speeding around me) I found this to be commonplace, especially in rural areas. Ridiculously low speed limits that nobody adheres to, but apparently some areas have some kind of % allowance on excess

felt kinda safe, engine did it pretty tough

Edited:

they can keep up
    Apparently in Japan they can't fine you for speeding unless that have a picture of your face while you're speeding, a picture of your car isn't enough. Would explain why everyone goes fast.

On another topic. Despite what people think, road death have been falling a lot for years:

Australia had 43 deaths per 100,000 vehicles in 1980, while now we have 5 deaths per 100,000 vehicles. Germany has 7 per 100,000

39. Post #2359
    April 2005
    9,670 Posts
    Oh look, another part of the freeway.

Ta dah

Most of it's good, there are a few crap places that could be fixed, all they need is crash barriers

Have you ever driven on the Southern Express way? It's like this for the entire length. For those who can't go fast on it, just go slow, and drive in the left lane
    That's exactly the same link as what I posted? Still looks like crap compared to the Autobahn.
    And yes, I have driven on that freeway. It's fine for 110KM/h, but until they fix it up, by closing the U-turn bays, levelling out the emergency lane, crash barriers along the whole path, they're not going to up the speed limit to 130KM/h.

Not because people don't want to, but because the safety features aren't there.

On another topic. Despite what people think, road death have been falling a lot for years:

Australia had 43 deaths per 100,000 vehicles in 1980, while now we have 5 deaths per 100,000 vehicles. Germany has 7 per 100,000
    Deaths per 100,000 vehicle is a bad statistic to use - it doesn't really give you much information. We are behind Germany and other European countries on road safety, and we're falling behind fast. While they're improving, we're not.

Australia's road toll per 100,000 is about 6.5, compared to the UK's statistic of 3.5 or Germany's 4.

Over the last 10 years however, Australia's road toll has only fallen slightly (1.9%) comapred to other European countries, which are around the 4-8% mark.

http://www.atcouncil.gov.au/document...20_15Aug11.pdf

There are so many things to do in this country before we're capable of higher speed roads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #2360
    Gold Member

March 2005
    4,417 Posts
    It's never going to happen for decades but I'd love better road surfaces. I don't know if car drivers notice this shit as much as a bike rider but a lot of the roads I travel on are just awful. Shit's scary when you're cruising at 100km/h and narrowly miss a pothole. Don't think I want to get my front wheel caught up in one of those, and when they fill them in they're still pretty bad.

Also with regard to mandatory voting, if you don't enroll for the first time you'll never be fined most likely. They don't give a shit about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events