1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,203 Posts
    Well I will be waiting instead of upgrading now. Besides, I need to study for classes ha. Will be looking to get a 3570k or 3770k depending on budget and needs then.

New boards too. Sweet.

http://lenzfire.com/2012/01/ivy-brid...l-8-2012-2012/

Intel’s next generation processor, code named as Ivy Bridge is expected to release by April 8 2012. Ivy Bridge is made with 22nm technology and 3D Tri-Gate transistors, integrated with DirectX11 and LGA 1155 support.

Sorry if double post, I didn't see a similar thread. If so, call me blind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 13Informative Informative x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    I think I'll swap mine for a 3770k probably since it's the same socket and all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    cant wait, I'll finally be able to get past this shitty AMD athlon x2 by april.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,205 Posts
    I'm definitely going to get the 3570K, been waiting for a year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Internet Detective (HBIED certified)
    August 2007
    7,224 Posts
    Christ, the price jump from the 3770 to the 3770k is quite something considering that all you get from it is 0.1GHz base clock and unlocked multipliers. Looks suspiciously like they're taking advantage of their market dominance
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,290 Posts
    Christ, the price jump from the 3770 to the 3770k is quite something considering that all you get from it is 0.1GHz base clock and unlocked multipliers. Looks suspiciously like they're taking advantage of their market dominance
    but i ned more gherz for best fps in counterstrike!!!! :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 25Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    I like to consider the cost difference over the life of the product. it's like a 35-40 dollar difference. spread over many months or years. It's like a tacobell taco per month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    I want to see the benchmarks first before I become excited.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,166 Posts
    Still only 4 physical cores? Come on intel release some 8-6 core modules like amd has, my vm's need it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Still only 4 physical cores? Come on intel release some 8-6 core modules like amd has, my vm's need it
    The 4+ cores is for Xeon and the E series. If you want 6-8 cores go Xeon based on SB-E or IB-E
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,166 Posts
    The 4+ cores is for Xeon and the E series. If you want 6-8 cores go Xeon based on SB-E or IB-E
    Not cost effective, I can get a 16 core CPU from amd at the price of a 6 core with a Xeon. Oh well, stickin with amd for a bit longer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21 (list)

12. Post #12
    Not cost effective, I can get a 16 core CPU from amd at the price of a 6 core with a Xeon. Oh well, stickin with amd for a bit longer
    Point is, they have them, I didn't realize you were concerned about cost. The current line up are already very fast for the majority of their user base. If you need more cores, they are available, just not in the mainstream line up.

Not defending lack of cores as I'd love an octocore IV-E for like 400bucks.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,290 Posts
    Lots of the cores in AMD products are only half-cores or something. They will share resources and are more like hyperthreads than actual cores.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,166 Posts
    Point is, they have them, I didn't realize you were concerned about cost. The current line up are already very fast for the majority of their user base. If you need more cores, they are available, just in the mainstream line up.

Not defending lack of cores as I'd love an octocore IV-E for like 400bucks.
    Yeah this would be for my dev clusters, my production shit is mostly 80/20 amd/intel, and those come from dell at a better price

Edited:

Lots of the cores in AMD products are only half-cores or something. They will share resources and are more like hyperthreads than actual cores.
    Bulldozers run at 1FPU per 2 cores thus only 4 cores can be addressed at any single time, while it is better to have a physical core process data then a HT the FPU bottlenecks it

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,829 Posts
    Still holding strong on my QX6850
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,266 Posts
    Was going to get a sandy i5 but I think I'll wait a few months
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,459 Posts
    the best $200~ cpu doesn't really look all that much better than my 2500k

i mean its like a whopping 100 mhz better

Edited:

oh fuck i forgot about the 3d transistors and the 22nm thing

fuck i want the new chip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    the best $200~ cpu doesn't really look all that much better than my 2500k

i mean its like a whopping 100 mhz better

Edited:

oh fuck i forgot about the 3d transistors and the 22nm thing

fuck i want the new chip
    Thats what I was saying at first too, especially since current i5 and i7 prices will drop which would made me think "Why even get the new ivy bridge?" Till I saw the 3d transistors and 22nm architecture.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,203 Posts
    Going from a 65nm Q6600 to a 22nm will be mind blowing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,121 Posts
    Can't wait to upgrade from my Phenom 9600 2.3GHz

I'm going to start saving and go all out

It might sound excessive but I'm thinking a i7 3770-K, 24 gb RAM, and a motherboard should only run me ~$650
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #21

June 2011
    492 Posts
    Thats what I was saying at first too, especially since current i5 and i7 prices will drop which would made me think "Why even get the new ivy bridge?" Till I saw the 3d transistors and 22nm architecture.
    Rumors said Intel could have made the chips alot more aggressive on it's base clocks, but Intel decided not to ( since it most of its chips pull away from AMD's latest ) and just rather focus on power efficiency and new technologies.

Edited:

Going from a 65nm Q6600 to a 22nm will be mind blowing.
    Going from a 65nm to a 32nm processor is already mind blowing enough.

I can't imagine what the 3D tri-gate transistors will be like though, hell, if the numbers are as good as the shrink to 28NM for GPU's I can't imagine what it'll be like on CPU's

22. Post #22
    lady godiva's giant vaginas
    May 2005
    1,868 Posts
    I'm amazed just how fast processors are getting even better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,724 Posts
    Glad they didn't change sockets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

24. Post #24
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,481 Posts
    Glad they didn't change sockets.
    This, I just hope now that they will add support for Ivy Bridge in the popular P8Z68 motherboard series
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,829 Posts
    What kind of change does 22nm and 3D transistors actually do, assuming the GHz stays the same between this and a standard 65nm chip today?

26. Post #26
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,481 Posts
    Lower power consumption/heat dissipation and faster performance
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,459 Posts
    less power consumed = less heat = more overclock gigahurtz
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    April 2009
    290 Posts
    This comes out the day after my birthday, what a fantastic coincidence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    910 Posts
    Awesome. Totally not upset that I just got a 2600k. Yup, nope. Not upset at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,019 Posts
    Damn 22nm... That's only ~200 silicon atoms wide.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Show Events Winner Winner x 14Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    915 Posts
    I will wait until AMD releases their second Bulldozer CPU before I will make a decision before I will buy IVY.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,557 Posts
    I will wait until AMD releases their second Bulldozer CPU before I will make a decision before I will buy IVY.
    Why?
    wikipedia posted:
    AMD says that this 2nd-generation FX-series processor, code-named Piledriver, would offer up to 20% to 30% better performance increase under digital media workloads.
    So 20%-30% faster if the claims are indeed correct. I'll assume they are despite the growing pile of not so accurate claims from AMD's PR department.

Now the estimates for Ivy Bridge
    wikipedia posted:
    Intel's performance targets (compared to Sandy Bridge):
    Up to 20% increase in CPU performance.
    Up to 30% increase in integrated GPU performance.
    So 20% increase in performance over Sandy Bridge. Now because these are percentage values they are based upon the original CPU performance values. Increasing Bulldozer performance by 30% will not make it faster than Sandy Bridge performance increased by 20%.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,374 Posts
    How will the integrated GPU perform compared to a GeForce 8800?

Edited:

Intel is apparently releasing a new LGA 2011 processor too, and it's cheaper than the 3770k. Are there any disadvantages?

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    889 Posts
    I still have an old C2Q Q8200.
    Shall I wait for Ivy Bridge or buy a i5-2500K?

35. Post #35
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,852 Posts
    Can't wait. Still on a Q6600. I'll probably move to the 3570k. Already got my RAM.

Edited:

Damn 22nm... That's only ~200 silicon atoms wide.
    Damn. When they say microchip, they don't lie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,203 Posts
    I still have an old C2Q Q8200.
    Shall I wait for Ivy Bridge or buy a i5-2500K?
    Just hold out. It's only a 3 months away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,910 Posts
    I should really upgrade from this Athlon x2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,759 Posts
    So excited for the 3770k

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    774 Posts
    Ivy sounds so much more sophisticated than Sandy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,829 Posts
    less power consumed = less heat = more overclock gigahurtz
    Why didn't they just increase the base GHz then?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)