View Poll Results: What do YOU enjoy about Spacebuild?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Building stuff

103 64.38%
  • Coding E2

25 15.63%
  • Space battles!

90 56.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1. Post #1
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    [h2]So why do YOU enjoy Spacebuild?[/h2]

I'm thinking of starting a Spacebuild server and coding in my own doo-dads & restrictions and I'm wondering, why do people play SpaceBuild nowadays?

I remember my time spent on the McBuilds servers and there was 5% action and 95% building and E2 programming. Personally, I'd like to provide some pre-done stuff so people can fly faster, with reduced lag and a fair chance but I'm wondering, will that take all the "zing" out of Spacebuild?

What exactly do people want to do in Spacebuild servers these days?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    But I don't like spacebuild
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 18Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    Then this question is going to be a tough one for you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2011
    255 Posts
    I prefer to just build a ship and fly to other planets and make them habitable, although I'm terrible at doing that because last time it mean that I'd have to keep bringing large water tanks over every so often

5. Post #5
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    Ok, looks like most people like blowing things up and a few like building stuff, looking pretty solid so far.

My big beef with the free method of giving people whatever guns or entities they wish is that they use E2 along with it to make their things omnipotent. That will be one the first things I'd like to change, no mighty death cannons without penalties and limits.

6. Post #6
    Trans genders are gays with mental dis orders
    Dennab
    January 2012
    3,881 Posts
    Space battles, mainly the ones with the massive ships

7. Post #7
    April 2011
    22 Posts
    When I use to host, we would make teams, and build massive ships, and man cannons and repair as we fight and stuff... board enemy vessel and plant bombs and other things. We really took role in those battles.. I miss those days...

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    550 Posts
    because i like to crash
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    Yea, I've been thinking of toying with the "One ship - multiple crew" idea. Sounds like some people might enjoy it.

Looks like the poll is swinging towards half building / half destruction. Interesting...

Edited:

That's another thing I was wondering, do you guys like smaller, more twitchy ships or large hulking ones?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    August 2010
    1,180 Posts
    I gotta say Lua coding for it is the best part for me, its really satisfying.

But, out of these choices, building would be the best part. It allows you to build with more of a purpose in mind than normal sandbox, which makes it far more appealing to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    April 2009
    80 Posts
    Really, the only reasons I like Spacebuild are twofold: 1) Nostalgia 2) No better alternatives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    2,831 Posts
    Shit get's laggy so in all honesty instead of putting a prop limit, limit the number of people on your server.

16 or so?

13. Post #13
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    Shit get's laggy so in all honesty instead of putting a prop limit, limit the number of people on your server.

16 or so?
    Well one of the alternatives I've been toying around with has one single entity acting as the ship's exterior (moving, shooting, being hit) with the ship's interior being simulated elsewhere. This way, there's only one object doing all the hard stuff and lag decreases dramatically.

The poll tells me that lots of people like building so I'd need to make the ship's interior as customizable as possible. Maybe even make the external entity able to have little doo-dads parented to it for some *swag*.

Really, the only reasons I like Spacebuild are twofold: 1) Nostalgia 2) No better alternatives.

14. Post #14
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    2,831 Posts
    If Frontier would come out (Probably never will) that would be the key to a winning Spacebuild.

But if you can, make an optimization script to help cope with the lag.
    It' not the server that lags, it's usually the guests computer/internet having the problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    But if you can, make an optimization script to help cope with the lag.
    It' not the server that lags, it's usually the guests computer/internet having the problems.
    Sorta, kinda. I know what you mean though, I've seen some HUD E2's that cripple an internet connection and sometimes, just the sheer amount of physics updates make it go to hell in a hand basket. The little doo-hicky that I've been doing saves a lot of bandwidth as it cuts down on LOADS of unneeded updates.

16. Post #16
    April 2011
    22 Posts
    Well one of the alternatives I've been toying around with has one single entity acting as the ship's exterior (moving, shooting, being hit) with the ship's interior being simulated elsewhere. This way, there's only one object doing all the hard stuff and lag decreases dramatically.

The poll tells me that lots of people like building so I'd need to make the ship's interior as customizable as possible. Maybe even make the external entity able to have little doo-dads parented to it for some *swag*.

If I aint got shag carpet and some damn good tunes, that vessel aint going anywhere.

17. Post #17
    May god have mercy upon my ennemies.Because I wont
    March 2007
    261 Posts
    Yea, I've been thinking of toying with the "One ship - multiple crew" idea. Sounds like some people might enjoy it.

Looks like the poll is swinging towards half building / half destruction. Interesting...

Edited:

That's another thing I was wondering, do you guys like smaller, more twitchy ships or large hulking ones?

Hulky ones with twitchy ones inside.

18. Post #18
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    Hulky ones with twitchy ones inside.
    Hulky with little dudes inside was EXACTLY the market I was hoping for. Little twitchy drone doohickys rock! When they're not server-crashingly constructed of course...

19. Post #19
    June 2011
    1,066 Posts
    I like it because it provides many laughs when my friends and I get into a box of blast doors, then someone stays out and tosses the the box and people inside into space.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    955 Posts
    I used a self-modified version of ls_rts to fire two mass drivers packets and weld them to a box filled with people (in chairs).
    Space cannon :D

21. Post #21
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    Heh, I still remember spawning a chair and a bathtub, strapping on a thruster sliiigggghtly off center and launching myself off the ramp in Forlorn. SPACE BATHTUB!

22. Post #22
    March 2006
    3 Posts
    Good times were had making ships out of wood and battling for supremacy on planets.

Thing is if you make pre-built stuff It's more space action than space build.

23. Post #23
    September 2008
    186 Posts
    It was the competition altogether. Not just space battles but to see who can colonize and control the planets.

After that, it was how unnecessarily immersive we could make the game. For example, transporting resources using a ship and the grabber tool when it was possible to just physgun the resources over to the planet.

A bit of teamwork and competition made Spacebuild enjoyable (unless the server was unable to handle the projects).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    Ok, it seems that people love the building of Spacebuild.

Which was more important, how the ship looked inside or how it looked from the outside?

Personally for me, it was a mixture of both, Smallbridge let me do that.

25. Post #25
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    Ok, I've been poking my head in and out of some servers and all people are doing is building ships. Most of the time, none of them ever leave the ground. They just stick to a single planet and piece props together. Doesn't that get boring?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    It was only a dollar!
    June 2009
    328 Posts
    Ok, I've been poking my head in and out of some servers and all people are doing is building ships. Most of the time, none of them ever leave the ground. They just stick to a single planet and piece props together. Doesn't that get boring?
    I've seen this everywhere. What I prefer is where the admins actually help set up the wars, just the basics. They give people a set time and people actually get them off the ground. Fighting with a ship that is ramshackle, built in a short amount of time sounds pretty fun, having to make up for ship glitches or handicaps with skill.

27. Post #27
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    I've been mulling over some structures that the server could follow, do any of these tickle anyone's fancy?

# Something along the lines of DOTA. Two bases continually spawning fighters & frigates and sending them at each other. Players take control of capital ships and aid their team until the other base / space station thing is dead.

# Sorta like Terraria / X3 / Battlezone mixed with Spacebuild. Players (all on one team) start with a small, hobbled base and are able to expand by building more of their own bases, killing NPC's and exploring. Killing and looting allows players to find / refine / build new components for their ships or build a bigger & better one.

If any of those sound good to anyone, please say so.

28. Post #28

January 2012
    4 Posts
    When I use to host, we would make teams, and build massive ships, and man cannons and repair as we fight and stuff... board enemy vessel and plant bombs and other things. We really took role in those battles.. I miss those days...
    OH MY GOD! YOUR EMOTICON SHOT HIMSELF IN THE HEAD! SOMEONE CALL FOR HELP!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Late Late x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    November 2007
    1,610 Posts
    I've been mulling over some structures that the server could follow, do any of these tickle anyone's fancy?

# Something along the lines of DOTA. Two bases continually spawning fighters & frigates and sending them at each other. Players take control of capital ships and aid their team until the other base / space station thing is dead.

# Sorta like Terraria / X3 / Battlezone mixed with Spacebuild. Players (all on one team) start with a small, hobbled base and are able to expand by building more of their own bases, killing NPC's and exploring. Killing and looting allows players to find / refine / build new components for their ships or build a bigger & better one.

If any of those sound good to anyone, please say so.

This sounds really awesome, but is it possible, at least within your own realm of ability?

30. Post #30
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    This sounds really awesome, but is it possible, at least within your own realm of ability?
    I can certainly imagine the programming behind it, the tricky thing is thinking of ways to simplify it for the user (and so I dont have to code so much). I've been thinking of having EVERYTHING customizable down to the atom while adding an extreme amount of features but then I realize that I've become carried away. I'm trying to KISS (keep it simple, stupid) while giving a good aim for spacebuilders.

At the moment, I'm digging the minecraft / terraria style. The game could start with the players crashing on an inhospitable or hostile planet and they have to first collect resources to survive, then build a more suitable habitat, then build a shipyard, etc. You know, start with next to nothing and build up further and further until an "endgame" is reached. Should be able to be done while not making it too complex. Makes it a good team activity too.

31. Post #31
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    I'd just like to clarify. Its obvious that people like building in Spacebuild but do you like building up bases, ships & stuff and expanding to space / other worlds or actually piecing together constructions?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,548 Posts
    I always played artillery in these games. Would code a e2 teleport drive and transport heavy payloads directly to th e drivers seat of a ship

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Man, all this spacebuild talk reminds me of that old Freelancer gamemode that was up on a few servers WAAAAY back.

I miss that.

34. Post #34
    Freedom, and sometimes even... epicness.

35. Post #35
    Funquisition Daily Founder
    September 2009
    326 Posts
    Because of the amazing thrill of being able to manually customize everything the way you want in E2 along with the awesome feel of getting as close as you can to a space simulator (that isn't filled with text to speech AIEOU's) all while in the comfort of your cozy home back on Earth!

ALSO DESTROYING OXYGEN SUPPLIES ON OTHER PEOPLES PLANETS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

36. Post #36

January 2012
    2 Posts
    As it have been stated a few times, spacebuild normaly bogs down with lag (massive non-optimiced ships) and crashes that wastes hours of work, I aggre with the premade idea as it would help get the game off the ground.

37. Post #37
    June 2010
    1,601 Posts
    I got a few friends of mine one time to play some spacebuild. I gathered a crew of 4-6 people to help build a space station and the other guys on the planet built a small fleet of ships to attack. It was a shit load of fun.

38. Post #38
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    Ok, I've been taking down pages and pages of notes during my spare time at work at so far it's kinda looking like this:

- A team system kinda like in Terraria. They start off in Free For All mode but can split up into player made teams
    - Ship hulls will be pre-made that include the engines, maneuvering and a resource network hub
    - The hulls can be customized with external bling / doodads and the inside will have sockets for components. This will stop people from going "HURRR 50 FUSION GENS ON A SHUTTLE, BECASUE I CAN!"
    - I've got a way to stop players dying and staying down relative to the ship, still working on it...
    - Stations and planetary bases will also use this "start from a shell" system. This also helps maintain sustainability without having to cheat

Thoughts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    July 2010
    301 Posts
    I would like to play but every server I join I get errors no matter what and nobody is willing to help, I have downloaded about 3 different variations of every spacebuild addon but nothing works.

40. Post #40
    May 2010
    134 Posts
    That also pisses me off; both the errors and pissy people.

There are SO many different SB mods out there, each with their own versions, it's hard to keep track of them.