1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts
    DO NOT FORGET TO RATE "THE VMAN" FOR THE TORNADO. FULL CREDIT TO THE TORNADO EFFECTS. I ONLY MADE THE PHYSICS!

Expected Release Date: RELEASED! http://www.mediafire.com/?kp7z2av9vdqd0y2

This map is the second of four, of the Gmod Tornado Maps
    1) Tornado Alley, gm_tornadoalley - Basic tornado, medium play area, small detail, very dark
    2) Tornado Highway, gm_tornadohighway - New tornado, 3 tornadoes, massive play area, medium detail
    3) Tornado Valley, gm_tornadovalley - New tornadoes, 3 tornadoes, medium play area, major detail
    4) Tornado Nightfall, gm_tornadonightfall - New tornadoes, 3 tornadoes, large play area, medium detail, night time

FEATURES:
    - Weather Station (Custom Doppler radar textures to warn of approaching tornadoes).
    - Tornado Warning Alarm (Player-operated switch to activate a custom siren to warn of approaching tornadoes).
    - F1 Tornado (Sprint speed, destruction hits and is over in 2-3 seconds)
    - F3 Tornado (Walking speed, destruction is devastating)
    - F5 Tornado (Walking speed, destroys 1/2 the map by the time it de-spawns)
    - All buildings are destructible
    - Dark atmosphere for an eerie feeling, however bright enough to see.
    - Admin room with the ability to spawn an F1, F3, F5, or turn off tornado spawning to allow for peaceful repair/building. (Only accessible with Noclip)

HOW THE TORNADO SPAWNS:
    1) The timer is set randomly, it can spawn anywhere between 2 minutes between tornadoes, and 15 minutes.
    1b) To turn the timer off, hit the PAUSE button in the Admin Room
    2) The timer will determine whether or not an F1, F3, or F5 is to spawn. This value is completely random, and not even I can determine which tornado is going to spawn.
    3) Once the timer fires, the sequence begins.
    4) All other timers disable to prevent multiple tornado spawning (the map would bug and lag with multiple tornadoes active).

TORNADO SPAWNING, PART 2:
    5) The Doppler radar inside the weather station, whether the station has been destroyed or not, will display a custom made map. The larger the red and purple gets, the higher chance of a tornado.
    6) The Doppler will say "TORNADO WARNING" when there is less than 1 minute to the tornadoes appearance. If you are not in the weather station, you won't know it's about to spawn.
    7) The tornado spawns, and will last for anywhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes. You will not know what size tornado will spawn until its appearance.
    8) The tornado disappears, and all of the F1, F3, and F5 tornadoes timers will reset, picking a new random time and tornado to spawn next.

Progress Videos:
    - Release Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_IR-eykYE

'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner x 37Mapping King x 16Funny x 3Dumb x 2Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2009
    545 Posts
    I very much look forward to this map. I like the warning system aspect of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    May 2009
    449 Posts
    Looking great so far, may I ask what happened to rp_terminal?

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts
    Looking great so far, may I ask what happened to rp_terminal?
    It's not gone forever. Just temporarily paused. I've never made an RP map and it's a major project.

5. Post #5
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    I think the tornado could use a debris cloud around the bottom. Would there be any way to make the tornado shape and strength random? I figure that'd take a buttload of new coding, though.

Keep up the awesome work! Tornadoalley is a load of fun, and this one will be too.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts
    yeah, everything I do except textures is all vanilla because I'm not sure how to mod or code.

I'll work on a debris cloud for sure, or at least give it an attempt.

7. Post #7
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,830 Posts
    this looks pretty awesome

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,571 Posts
    Will be neat if it functions the same as gm_tornadochase did.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts
    Will be neat if it functions the same as gm_tornadochase did.

Point isn't to recreate tornadochase, but to create something unique and just as good. Tornadoalley and Tornadohighway do just that. This is the same basic tornado as gm_tornadoalley, my first map, but it's been recreated to be more of a column shape.

A new video has been posted.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,346 Posts
    You know not saying your map is bad, but im pretty sure people would probably enjoy a smaller map with a generally smaller tornado with more detail added. That is just me though, I would rather have a real looking map with a tornado that runs over randomly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,136 Posts
    Hey, how would you like a custom particle system for the tornado.

I've got a little experience with the particle editor:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 17Artistic Artistic x 4Mapping King Mapping King x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts
    You know not saying your map is bad, but im pretty sure people would probably enjoy a smaller map with a generally smaller tornado with more detail added. That is just me though, I would rather have a real looking map with a tornado that runs over randomly.
    Any feedback is good, appreciate the feedback! This map will be focused on being a large open map, but you've definitely inspired me to work on a more detailed smaller map. I had given it a moments thought in the past when making gm_tornadoalley, but a few people said they wanted a larger map so this one was born. I do have a smaller map tucked away in my maps folder, and I'll definitely revive it after this map is finished.

Vman -

I have sent you a private message in regards to that. I would love to work together to make an amazing product.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,872 Posts
    VMan is the most amazing particle artist I have ever seen. His work for the 2week mod in particular was absolutely beautiful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    This is going to be great.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,136 Posts
    Workin workin

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts
    Thread has been updated. Check the progress videos!

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,571 Posts
    Seems like the tornado needs to look more thick near the base.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    ~Tital~
    July 2009
    1,194 Posts
    Hah cool.

19. Post #19
    I like to faps while I make maps
    December 2009
    1,451 Posts
    That's awesome. It's really realistic imo, especially for Source.

20. Post #20
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    It seems a little too short. Maybe try a darker colour? It comes across as a little transparent. -actually the rotation is perfect now that I look at it closer- It's -fantastic-, but those couple things stand out to me.

I think a great thing to look for inspiration would be the F5 [the last tornado] from Twister.

Either way, it looks great! Just my two cents.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,136 Posts
    It seems a little too short. Maybe try a darker colour? It comes across as a little transparent. -actually the rotation is perfect now that I look at it closer- It's -fantastic-, but those couple things stand out to me.

I think a great thing to look for inspiration would be the F5 [the last tornado] from Twister.

Either way, it looks great! Just my two cents.
    Gonna make multiple types of tornados. That one is something like an F3/F4. F5 will be massive, trust me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    Gonna make multiple types of tornados. That one is something like an F3/F4. F5 will be massive, trust me.
    Oh my God YES I love you forever.

I am excited for this map. I'm blaring the Twister Score and I know I'll be playing it when I drive something into a tornado.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts
    Yep. The hard part is going to be setting up the trigger_push for each of the different tornado sizes. BUT, it will be done. The way I'm setting up the map, each tornado of each size can be spawned at any time. All tornadoes will be entirely random. Meaning, you may have 3-4 tornadoes at once... Hopefully not, right?

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,136 Posts
    Ok, so check this out. Here's the F3 tornado, right?

And this is the F5

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 7Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    ~Tital~
    July 2009
    1,194 Posts
    Stop! time!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 9Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    Now if only I could figure out how to get the tornado sounds from Twister in-game...

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,136 Posts
    Now if only I could figure out how to get the tornado sounds from Twister in-game...
    Funny you should mention that:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts

We've already imported those sounds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    "F1 in the drainage ditch" section. Awesome. Could barely kinda hear the Jeep in the background, but no biggie. [I am such a loser for knowing this, and I could also hear the barn getting hit too. Also awesome. It'll add more to the atmosphere.]

I'll probably make my first forays into sound editing by adding some of the F5 "roars" in somehow [for myself hurf].

Keep up the good work! This map is turning out awesomazing. If only there was a '95 Dodge Ram model out there...

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,571 Posts
    Maybe try taking a look into cinematic physics with some of the buildings. So they get ripped to shreds without a high performance demand.

Edited:

Also another thing that has me worried is have the water. You essentially are drawing the tornado twice.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,872 Posts
    I ONLY MADE THE PHYSICS!
    What is this supposed to mean?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,571 Posts
    What is this supposed to mean?
    It means he didn't make the particle effect. He added the trigger_push and all that to the actual tornado particle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts
    Also another thing that has me worried is have the water. You essentially are drawing the tornado twice.
    Yep, the water caused skippyness issues. It was removed.

34. Post #34
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    I cannot wait to see the F5 in action.

Also, Rory, is there any type of guide out there to make something like your tornado probe? I'm still a noob at wire.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts
    You might be able to find a wire guide. Mine is very simple, it's a speedometer to a two way radio to the monitor.

It took me a few hours to learn wire but if you follow some of the tutorials on the wire wiki, you should be able to get it. My probe is extremely simple.

The map is on it's final stretch. We're touching up the scenery, making the buildings destructible, touching up the 3d Skybox, and Vman may add a few more particles.

Expect a release next week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,621 Posts
    is there any way you can make the drain pipe a little more round instead of stop sign shaped?

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts
    is there any way you can make the drain pipe a little more round instead of stop sign shaped?
    Not without ruining the integrity of the displacements around it. Can't make them small enough to hold to the pipe already as it is. The world would poke through it, there will be gaps, etc.

38. Post #38
    January 2012
    166 Posts
    Hopefully this gets finished unlike Monkeyjoe's tornado map

39. Post #39
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    There is no doubt in my mind that this will be finished. The first map came out, and it looks like this one is near completion. So I say there's nothing to worry about, bro!

Unless his hard drive dies or something. MAKE BACKUPS ON FLASH DRIVES
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    240 Posts
    Hopefully this gets finished unlike Monkeyjoe's tornado map

It's almost finished right now. We just have to add a few more things. Also, there is more than 1 person who has copies of the map in case I do get the "abandonment fever". So if I do abandon this, someone else has it.

Unless his hard drive dies or something. MAKE BACKUPS ON FLASH DRIVES

Backed up two times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)