1. Post #641
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,443 Posts
    Are you saying that computers are not ruining peoples ability to determine talent? The only real good, authentic music it seems left is the Alternative rock. I'm not a big music judger but I can tell you that all Pop/Hip-Hop/Hard Rock/Rap is all been changed because of the auto-tune (just a basic one not a full blown one).
    What? Seriously, what?

You must be listening to the wrong bands from those genres or you're not listening to what you think you're listening to.

2. Post #642
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,723 Posts
    And a bunch of Alternative Rock uses autotune as well.

3. Post #643
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,228 Posts
    And a bunch of Alternative Rock uses autotune as well.
    yeah but on a computer you can press a button and make music
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #644
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,635 Posts
    computer album generator is the way of the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #645
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,723 Posts
    -don't worry, my sarcasm detector failed me-

6. Post #646
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,228 Posts
    computer album generator is the way of the future.
    yeah i heard david guetta used an auto-tuner to create his last album in one click, i really need to get my hands on that software
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #647
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,635 Posts
    I think some time in the distant future, you can input your own mind into a system. Then with a push of a key it spews out all these different artistic ideas.

There would be no need to do anything and everyone will be happy. :>

8. Post #648
    November 2007
    7,228 Posts
    I think some time in the distant future, you can input your own mind into a system. Then with a push of a key it spews out all these different artistic ideas.

mixing down and mastering thoughts and brainwaves, god that sounds way more interesting than compressing drums

9. Post #649
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Autotune is basically for people who can't sing. In my opinion, people who use autotune shouldn't even be famous. Autotune takes all the talent out of vocal music. I can see maybe some background autotuning, but "artists" like T-Pain that use it constantly honestly just make me sick.

T-Pain is no better than Rebecca Black and almost everybody hated her. I honestly don't see a difference between the two vocally except maybe T-Pain's computer generated vocals sound a little better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

10. Post #650
    November 2007
    7,228 Posts
    Autotune is basically for people who can't sing. In my opinion, people who use autotune shouldn't even be famous. Autotune takes all the talent out of vocal music. I can see maybe some background autotuning, but "artists" like T-Pain that use it constantly honestly just make me sick.

T-Pain is no better than Rebecca Black and almost everybody hated her. I honestly don't see a difference between the two vocally except maybe T-Pain's computer generated vocals sound a little better.
    is there anything you appreciate, or do you just hate everything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #651
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    is there anything you appreciate, or do you just hate everything
    I appreciate talent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

12. Post #652
    November 2007
    7,228 Posts
    I appreciate talent.

the people behind this are not talented?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #653
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts

the people behind this are not talented?
    If they're so talented, they should be able to actually sing without autotune.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12 (list)

14. Post #654
    November 2007
    7,228 Posts
    ...but the singers behind the autotuned songs of daft punk can sing. the idea is to explore new concepts and develop a unique style for an artist- if everyone followed your quota for what music is 'good' then it would all be the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

15. Post #655
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,921 Posts
    Okay I told myself I wouldn't come into this thread again and now I know why. Holy shit...

I just... don't even know anymore. Can't you HEAR that the entire AIM of that song is to be synthetic? If the vocals weren't edited and were completely natural it would just sound plain wrong. What about this?

The entire POINT of that song is that it is autotuned. Are you able to tell that? If it wasn't autotuned then it wouldn't even be remotely the same song.

Drop the fucking pretense that music has some predetermined guidelines on how to make it. Just because guitars and drums and microphones happened to become the norm doesn't mean they are the be all end all of sound creation. It's all just that in the end, SOUND. If someone wants to create a sterile and synthetic emotional atmosphere with their music, then THEY AREN'T GOING TO BE USING UNEDITED VOCALS, ARE THEY? I have no more words for you and please, please stop coming into this thread and ruining my day with your ignorance.

Edited:

Again, what about this?

The entire point of that song is that Thom Yorke spoke the vocals and then autotuned them to compliment the digitalism of the rest of the track.

Edited:

If you're going to tell me the people behind this these songs aren't talented then I cannot take you seriously any longer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #656
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    calling radiohead not talented is just wrong
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

17. Post #657
    November 2007
    7,228 Posts
    yo man if an artist cant play the triangle they arent credible no matter how good their music is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #658
    January 2010
    9,748 Posts
    You'd have a point if the auto-tune was used as a crutch for having a shit singing voice. Instead it's being used as an effect to help blend in with the rest of the electronics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #659
    A Casual Businessman (or something even worse.)
    August 2009
    916 Posts

http://pitchfork.com/news/42362-jeff...ed-instrument/

Deaded posted:
    sorry to break it to you but talent and skill are two completely separate things
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #660
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    You'd have a point if the auto-tune was used as a crutch for having a shit singing voice. Instead it's being used as an effect to help blend in with the rest of the electronics.
    Meh. I'm not saying he isn't a talented singer. What I should have said is that he should actually use his singing voice instead of masking it with a computer. I understand he wants to make it blend, but it just seems to me that it's a waste of a perfectly good voice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

21. Post #661
    January 2010
    9,748 Posts
    Meh. I'm not saying he isn't a talented singer. What I should have said is that he should actually use his singing voice instead of masking it with a computer. I understand he wants to make it blend, but it just seems to me that it's a waste of a perfectly good voice.
    You missed the point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #662
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    dumb shit posted by this guy
    I'm not ignorant. It's my opinion. I never once said that "hurr durr muzik shud be olny wat i say". Music, in my opinion, is about good vocals. Just like how some think good music is a solo on a guitar, I think good music is in vocals. Face it, bro. There is nothing ignorant about having a set opinion.

Edited:

You missed the point.
    I understand the point.

"The usage of the autotune was to make the music as a whole sound better".

You obviously don't understand my point. If he's such a great singer, why does he want to use autotune instead of his voice? I'm not doubting he's a good singer. I just don't understand why a good singer would want to use a computer to mask their good voice.

23. Post #663
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,443 Posts
    I'm not ignorant. It's my opinion. I never once said that "hurr durr muzik shud be olny wat i say". Music, in my opinion, is about good vocals. Just like how some think good music is a solo on a guitar, I think good music is in vocals. Face it, bro. There is nothing ignorant about having a set opinion.
    Of course there's not. It's ignorant to talk rubbish about stuff you don't like, which is what you do.

24. Post #664
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Of course there's not. It's ignorant to talk rubbish about stuff you don't like, which is what you do.
    ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/
    Adjective:
    Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
    Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy".

I use the word ignorant by its true meaning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

25. Post #665
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,443 Posts

Edited:

I understand the point.

"The usage of the autotune was to make the music as a whole sound better".

You obviously don't understand my point. If he's such a great singer, why does he want to use autotune instead of his voice? I'm not doubting he's a good singer. I just don't understand why a good singer would want to use a computer to mask their good voice.
    No you're missing the point still.

They produce music that is specifically designed to sound electronic, geometric and futuristic. Having someone singing in normal vocals would destroy the whole point of the song.

26. Post #666
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    No you're missing the point still.

They produce music that is specifically designed to sound electronic, geometric and futuristic. Having someone singing in normal vocals would destroy the whole point of the song.
    No, I do understand the point. I just said it in different words.

27. Post #667
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,443 Posts
    ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/
    Adjective:
    Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
    Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy".

I use the word ignorant by its true meaning.
    I dunno, I'd say you're pretty ignorant about rap and electronic music. The stuff you've been saying.

There's a difference between having an opinion on something that actually knowing what you're talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #668
    Ask me about my Zimmerman fetish

March 2005
    3,275 Posts
    Whats the point in even arguing with people who think otherwise? I guess there's the desire to change their opinion, but that seems to hardly ever happen, it's something they gotta figure out on their own. rate me late, but it's all quite relative. The majority of my music in my collection isn't even older than 2000, I'm 21 but I just prefer the music made in the last 10 years over anything else.

@deaded

your opinion is practically worthless, as is mine. Music isn't defined by vocals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #669
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    I dunno, I'd say you're pretty ignorant about rap and electronic music. The stuff you've been saying.

There's a difference between having an opinion on something that actually knowing what you're talking about.
    If you would read, I actually changed my opinion about rap. Autotune, no. It's a fact that autotune can mask a terrible voice. I'm not saying the artists I am seeing have a terrible voice. It just depresses me that even if they do have a good voice, they aren't using it to their potential.

Edited:

@dreaded

you're opinion is practically worthless, as so is mine. Music isn't defined by vocals.
    I know music isn't "defined" by vocals. It's just my opinion that great vocals make good music.

30. Post #670
    January 2010
    9,748 Posts
    If you would read, I actually changed my opinion about rap. Autotune, no. It's a fact that autotune can mask a terrible voice. I'm not saying the artists I am seeing have a terrible voice. It just depresses me that even if they do have a good voice, they aren't using it to their potential.
    Again, it's used to fit the the overall sound of the music. Freddy Mercury vocals wouldn't work well in a Death song.

31. Post #671
    I had a real awkward conversation with my dad asking if I could take a picture of him for free games
    December 2009
    1,529 Posts
    It just depresses me that even if they do have a good voice, they aren't using it to their potential.
    You don't think manipulating the vocals to blend and fit better with the song is using their voice to their potential?

32. Post #672
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,723 Posts

Edited:

I know music isn't "defined" by vocals. It's just my opinion that great vocals make good music.
    Name an artist you like.

33. Post #673
    June 2011
    1,000 Posts
    Popular music nowadays is all shit. Watch dazed and confused and it plays all the popular music of that era. And every single song in that movie is now considered a classic. Today's music is quanity over quanity, shits like fast food. With a gem every now and then which is beaten to hell by media and radio before you can even download it yourself. I'm so glad I listen to tap which mostly consist of hardworking artist who release "underground" music that's free. Most rap mixtapes are 10x better than paid for albums because they suit the mainstream demographic to make money. For example rolling papers by wiz khalifa is shit but it was made for America. While his famous kush and orange juice mixtape was made for his "Taylor's" (fans) to listen with quality music and instant classics littered throught the tape. Just my input on this shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

34. Post #674
    November 2010
    1,692 Posts
    Older music seems to have much better quality per quantity because nobody remembers the generic filler quantity over quality shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #675
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,151 Posts
    Autotuned songs can be good if it's used right and in some creative way, however, if it's used wrong then it can be horrible. In my opinion most of the mainstream music you see in the charts that has autotune is horrible, because to me anyway it feels slapped on there. I'm probably biased though because I enjoy a natural voice more, but that's what I think, considering I do still enjoy stuff like Daft Punk and so on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #676
    November 2010
    1,692 Posts
    And on autotuning: new instrumentation is always going to have people using it terribly and as a gimmick. Find artists that are using it innovatively and skilfully then decide if you like it. Don't go and decide you can decide that types of instrumentation are objectively inferior though, because that tends to be really stupid.

37. Post #677
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,679 Posts
    I don't really get whats with people thinking that music has to have lots of talent to be great.
    No it doesn't.
    Thats dumb.
    No matter how its made or how hard it was to make, its still music.
    You shouldn't care about how it was made, but rather how it sounds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

38. Post #678
    August 2005
    3,934 Posts
    I don't think today's mainstream music is as much about music as it is about the person behind the music. Justin Bieber is a good example. What do you think the Justin Bieber fans care mostly about, Justin Bieber or his music?

There is a lot of nice music nowadays, it's just that you have to find it yourself. The mainstream media usually won't hand out it out for you.

39. Post #679
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    Ohh the joys of music sub forum regulars trying to have a discussion with the rest of facepunch. Close this thread and be done with it.

40. Post #680
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,443 Posts
    And on autotuning: new instrumentation is always going to have people using it terribly and as a gimmick. Find artists that are using it innovatively and skilfully then decide if you like it. Don't go and decide you can decide that types of instrumentation are objectively inferior though, because that tends to be really stupid.
    A good example of this is the djent trend.