1. Post #1
    October 2011
    294 Posts
    So i got this new comp.
    I'm watching the newegg build video series... i'm on the second video at 8 minutes and 9 seconds
    lowering the tension arm
    http://youtu.be/d_56kyib-Ls?t=8m9s

Why is my tension arm so... fucking tense? I try to lower it ... but then i hear this suddle grinding
    The guy in the video doesn't seem to have any trouble. and i don't hear any grinding on the video... wtf is going on?
    Dammit. Ijust had all these sexy parts bought ... wtf ?

Edited:

dammit what do i do?
    i'm so scared :(. i bought these parts 3 days ago... and now i cant even put my comp together -_-' fml

Edited:

lost patience... just let it crunch :/

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,365 Posts
    * Make absolutely sure you are lining up the notches on the CPU itself with the notches on the slot you are lowering it in to; these show you how to orient the CPU
    * Make sure (if there is one) to remove any placeholder plastic within the slot
    * Make sure there's no debris or anything else sitting where you're placing the CPU
    * The guy in the video knows what he's talking about and did it exactly how you should

Yes, the tension arm does require a bit of force to push down. It does seem a bit scary pushing down so hard on such a delicate part, but that helps the CPU maintain good, even contact.

Make sure the metal plates pushing down on top of the CPU are hooked properly onto the screw. The grinding noise you're hearing could be the plate scraping against that screw.

If in doubt, take a picture and show us the area if possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2011
    294 Posts
    shit. well i let it crunch.... should i get my webcam out and reocrd this shit? i'm scared as fuck right now?

i turned on the power supply with the supplemental and the... bigger thing connected (i don't have a g-card) ... uhm... so i turned it on. i switche on this thing that said TPU when i turned on the poewr supply.. i see a red and a green dot

are we still good?

Edited:

getting webcam now

Edited:

http://tinychat.com/keysle#

4. Post #4
    October 2011
    294 Posts
    thanks for all the helps guy

5. Post #5
    July 2009
    3,692 Posts
    Do you get a beep from the motherboard when you turn it on? Have you turned it on?

But no, it shouldn't really... crunch... at least that's not how I would describe it. It's like a metal on metal scrape sound in my experience, but never a crunch.

Edit:

Also are you ONE HUNDRED PERCENT sure you put it in right. You should reseat it, and triple check everything is as it should be. Read the manual for your motherboard if you have to. Although if you have no bent pins on the CPU, you should be good to go.

6. Post #6
    June 2010
    914 Posts
    I've also heard about this crunchy thingy, but mostly about the earlier i5.
    People said it crunched when they putted it in place, and when they put tension on it. They also said it wasn't a problem, and it worked fine.

7. Post #7
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    it's just the pins being pressed down a little, it's fine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    January 2010
    38 Posts
    Same happened with mine, it's not a crunch, it's more of a shhh as the pins get pushed in. It's fine.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    189 Posts
    Mine done the same, it's not a nice sound.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    I just installed an i5 and had the same thing, but assumed it was harmless and it was.

11. Post #11
    April 2010
    2,543 Posts
    I just installed an i5 and had the same thing, but assumed it was harmless and it was.
    Thanks everyone - i have an I5 comeing here... this info is good to know before hand
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,657 Posts
    Mine did this too a little bit, just do it smoothly and don't force it.

13. Post #13
    October 2011
    294 Posts
    Crunch :3

Edited:

i love all yall.

ALLA YALL