1. Post #1
    September 2010
    446 Posts
    I have always wanted to do an explore but never really considered actually doing one for real until the last week.

So I read a few urbex reports on Terry's (as York is my local area) and me and my friend had a look when we had a spare 20 mins to find access. Came back today, and started our first explore! :cool:

Nervous wasnt the word, but we pressed on and had an interesting few hours exploring! :thumb

Looking at previous reports from last year, wow, the place has been trashed so much more, especially the office-type block nearer the front! Seems that someones put alot of windows through and nicked alot more stuff.

Access was very simple and there were many ways in to the different buildings, something I didn't expect. We explored every part with ease, the warehouse at the back, the main 4 story building, clock tower, offices and the various storage buildings etc.

Heres some facts:

"Process info from the Conservation Area Character Appraisal about the site: Originally goods were loaded in at the top floor and manufacturing processes cascaded downwards. The blended beans were roasted, cracked and winnowed, then taken to the nibbing machine where the ‘nib’ of the bean was extracted, this being the part used for chocolate making. The nibs were ground to produce the cocoa mass, at which point other ingredients such as sugar or milk were added as required. The result was a paste which was refined several times. The next process was ‘conching’ where the mass was stirred for many hours at a constant temperature, to produce a smooth cream. In the enrober department the chocolate was added to the various fillings, and the results were then foiled, packaged and dispatched. These processes, once carried out in the factory building, were more recently transferred to the ground floor of the factory and the 1970s building opposite.

The original Terry shop in York (owned by the Berry family, which Joseph Terry married into in 1823) is now the Swarovski shop in St Helen’s Square. It has “TERRY” inlaid below the windows and engraved on the building frontage."

Pressing on, here are the photos...

I hope you liked, all photos are thanks to my mate who came along and is equally passionate about getting into this stuff more.

EDIT: Y U NO Auto RESIZE?
    EDIT 2: Images resized :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2010
    93 Posts
    Woah that's awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    December 2011
    139 Posts
    Awesome!

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,310 Posts
    Trust the chavs to right " r u dizzy blud"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

5. Post #5
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,468 Posts
    Why did someone have to graffiti over the terry's chocolate orange mural? :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    November 2011
    40 Posts
    What the hell is Terrys Chocolate? Is this something from the east?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,735 Posts
    I hope you guys didn't set off those fire extinguishers... unlike someone else we know...................
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8

May 2007
    60 Posts
    I kept hoping a pic would turn up of some oompa loompas :O
    or atleast, you know, a room with graffiti of it |:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,474 Posts
    Were there any abandoned chocolate oranges?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    September 2010
    446 Posts
    Why did someone have to graffiti over the terry's chocolate orange mural? :(
    some idiot must of done it, it was a real piece of art and painted so well.

Edited:

What the hell is Terrys Chocolate? Is this something from the east?
    Google it my friend. It was a chocolate company who made confectionary, mainly the "Chocolate Orange" which was segments of chocolate in an orange shape. This factory was used until a company called Kraft bought out Terrys and moved production to Europe.

Edited:

I hope you guys didn't set off those fire extinguishers... unlike someone else we know...................
    Of course we didnt, that goes against the Urban Exploration spirit! Take only pictures, leave only footsteps and all that.

Were there any abandoned chocolate oranges?
    Nothing left anymore. I have read some reports of visits early last year and there was some chocolate bars left. But the place has been left security free and unsecured for years now so the place is bare.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    2,843 Posts
    Wow, looks awesome. Wish I lived somewhere remotely close to York.

12. Post #12
    September 2010
    446 Posts
    Wow, looks awesome. Wish I lived somewhere remotely close to York.
    Yorks a very nice place, but not for Urban Exploration. This is pretty much the only place of interest anyone visits, me and my friend are trying to find more interesting places to go after seeing a few boarded up shops and such so keep tuned! :D

13. Post #13
    November 2011
    40 Posts
    Ahh makes very much sense. I actually vaguely remember it from my really young childhood, even though I'm not European

14. Post #14
    May 2010
    347 Posts
    What date was the paper from?

15. Post #15
    July 2010
    301 Posts
    Damn, I am jealous. Not only because of how great the place and views are but also because every place I go to is pitch black. I cannot see shit and always need to use a flashlight 24/7. It is a fun feeling kinda breaking into a building and it is all dark. The first time I explored I had to shimmy across a ledge, bust a lock and jump through a window, best day of my life.

16. Post #16
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    8,995 Posts
    No urbex would be complete without finding a swastika made by some chav

17. Post #17
    November 2008
    2,277 Posts
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/onesize...7628231785283/

oh hey, this is where i do all of my light painting! amazing location isnt it!

where abouts in york do you live, if you dont mind me asking?

18. Post #18
    I tried to pay a prostitute for a hug, but she turned me down because I'm a huge faggot.
    July 2010
    2,920 Posts
    Nice site! Good pictures.