1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,767 Posts
    Stereotypes are almost impossible to avoid, but never take them too seriously.
    They can come in handy though.
    Absolutely right. Without learning about stereotypes, you'll find it tougher to connect with people and understand where they're coming from.

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,478 Posts
    Absolutely right. Without learning about stereotypes, you'll find it tougher to connect with people and understand where they're coming from.
    Plus they can just be fun to play around with. Like my Asian friends think it's funny when I poke at the Asian stereotypes.

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    110 Posts
    I think stereotypes are necessary insofar as they are how we couch our expectations of other people. A stereotype is effectively a generic personality that we put on someone so we can address our thoughts about them without interacting with them. The way I see it, they're social shortcuts.

But once you actually know someone, applying a stereotype to them is pointless unless you specifically want to spread an assumption to other people.

4. Post #44
    August 2011
    1,185 Posts
    Stereotypes are nothing more than forms of "comedy" based off of certain views of race, gender, or group.They are basically things that play off of basic expectations of people's nationality. They can either be considered funny, or racist, usually depending on where you stand in the situation.

5. Post #45
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    I believe stereotypes aren't necessary, BUT they are ghosts of a more basic function of your neurological processes, for instance if you see five large men dressed in hoodies walking your way in the middle of the night while you're walking home alone for whatever reason.

You're instinctively going to assume these guys are up to no good, it is a neurological function, even if you don't mentally acknowledge them glands are going to release adrenaline into your blood stream to heighten your fight or flight response, regardless of who said people are, perhaps they are just wearing hoodies because it is cold, but to you, they are bad news and your mind makes that leap based on previous experience, perhaps because you've seen shady characters around before wearing hoodies in your neighbourhood.

This is similar to how stereotyping imprints itself, if you see black people as lazy, you're not going to take each black person at face value, you're going to assume they are lazy.

Though they aren't necessary in modern society, I think they are a function of the human brain. It would be the same thing as say you released thousands of people with a distinctive facial tattoo and a stunning ability to lift heavy things, people would assume people with that tattoo on their face would be able to lift heavy things, even though hypothetically anyone could get one just like it.

6. Post #46
    May 2011
    570 Posts
    Stereotypes like saying garry should call his mother "mum" and not "mom"?

7. Post #47
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    Stereotypes like saying garry should call his mother "mum" and not "mom"?
    What the fuck are you talking about??

8. Post #48
    May 2011
    570 Posts
    Go check Garry.tv, he says he doesn't like that stereotype about him, so why not post something about it?

9. Post #49
    January 2012
    42 Posts
    Stereotypes are pretty necessary.

When I'm walking the jumper, and accidently walk into the hood, it's important to keep clear of the negroids or I may get robbed.

10. Post #50
    January 2012
    9 Posts
    Stereotypes are pretty necessary.

When I'm walking the jumper, and accidently walk into the hood, it's important to keep clear of the negroids or I may get robbed.
    Brother, where have they taken you? Who paid the corrupt admin to take you away?

11. Post #51
    Stereotypes are a natural human instinct. If you see a man that -looks- like what you imagine a serial killer to look like, you're gonna avoid them, and whether they are or not, it could end up saving your life.

12. Post #52
    January 2012
    117 Posts
    What do you really mean Are They Necessary?
    stereotypes aren't something you can turn on and off, you cant decide that they are no longer necessary and make them disappear.

However, I believe stereotypes are a lot like you said OP, something either formed through experience or otherwise. They provide a way to assess situations and be better prepared for what could happen. It would be ignorant to ignore stereotypes entirely because they do exist for a reason.

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,609 Posts
    I wouldn't say they are necessary in general, I just think sometimes they have a use such as knowing to be cautious around certain groups of people. Some stereotypes are absolutely useless though.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,855 Posts
    Typically, stereotypes lead to prejudice against an entire group. It's also a sweeping generalization about an entire people where many outliers exist.

15. Post #55
    August 2009
    782 Posts
    Every stereotype has a base, something caused it to exist. One day someone didn't wake up and go "All black people like watermelon!" or "All Irish people are drunks!" there was something that was apparent that made that stereotype exist. I don't believe stereotypes should be used as a basis to judge anyone, use that person's own merit compared to what a stereotype would say to judge them. The only good thing about stereotypes is the possible comedic value in the more strange ones and that they're great comedic fodder because they don't apply to everyone.