1. Post #1
    RSN
    August 2008
    563 Posts
    A very possible reason why muscular people (especially men) are more sexually attractive to us is the need to be protected. A woman's brain was set to find a man who could protect her from the dangers of the Stone Age. Therefore, she finds the muscular man more attractive. Another part is the inhibited need to reproduce. If the man looks healthy his genetics are probably so too.

Now what i wonder about is this: In the romanticism, women were most likely attracted to the pale, fat people because they knew why they where fat and pale; they were rich and did not need to have muscle or tan. This makes me wonder. In the romanticism people probably had a great need to be governed financially, which was something they could by being with a wealthy man. In the Stone Age it was different; they needed protection.
    Now, in the Modern Age, people are most likely sexually attracted to a muscular man (not saying that anything else is impossible) rather than a man expressing extreme wealth.

All this is sexually speaking, not on the personal level. I want your opinion on what determines a (wo)man's sexual attractiveness nowadays. I hope I wasn't too unclear.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,889 Posts
    Muscularity tends to indicate strength and fitness in a human being, a trait that is highly desired by our subconscious. We recognize it as visible power, and people find themselves attracted to those who have more muscle(usually).

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2009
    3,687 Posts
    It's what the media puts on people to think what they should look like.

Most media portrays healthy, attractive and successful men as being strong and powerful.

on the flip side, a lot of media portray woman as being fragile and normally second in command to a man similar to one described in what I said above. (with a few exceptions).

I could blah on about stereotypes and whatnot, but most people would get the general gist of it.

4. Post #4
    April 2010
    1,953 Posts
    Muscularity tends to indicate strength and fitness in a human being, a trait that is highly desired by our subconscious. We recognize it as visible power, and people find themselves attracted to those who have more muscle(usually).
    That pretty much sums is up.

5. Post #5
    RSN
    August 2008
    563 Posts
    But we have to dig a little deeper. WHY is it muscular men that portray power and strength? I think this has something to do with our subconsciousness, rather than the media.

Edited:

That pretty much sums is up.
    He did not answer the real question though. It was still a very good point though.

6. Post #6
    April 2010
    1,953 Posts
    Muscular men portray power and strength because they ARE powerful and strong.

7. Post #7
    RSN
    August 2008
    563 Posts
    In the modern society they aren't necessarily powerful, though?

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,290 Posts
    With a prime directive to breed, humans generally select the mate that appears to have the best genetics. Genetics can and do define facial appearance and muscle growth.

9. Post #9
    April 2010
    1,953 Posts
    In the modern society they aren't necessarily powerful, though?
    The modern society is, well, modern. For tens of thousands of years muscular meant powerful, and we still didn't grow out of it.

10. Post #10
    RSN
    August 2008
    563 Posts
    The thing is: I think we have grown out of SO many other things. Even physical changes have been made. So I don't see why evolution has not changed this, as it would be a lot more beneficial for us? That is how i see evolution. The adaption of ones circumstances.

11. Post #11
    April 2010
    1,953 Posts
    It is happening. It's just very slow.
    The longer you keep a bad habit, the longer it takes to stop doing it.

12. Post #12
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    17,354 Posts
    Evolution is slower than human development, so we're still chained to anachronistic designs.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,092 Posts
    Being muscular is usually associated with courage and determination, the ability to start something and then complete it, while obesity is associated with laziness. There are exceptions, of course.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,688 Posts
    Society dictates attractiveness, as their values create and ideal identity which is considered highly desirable for that culture. It's easy to brush it off through a biological standpoint, but that in itself ignores the subjectivity and the evolution of attractiveness. As the OP mentioned, attractiveness has changed over time, during the middle ages for example being rotund was a sign of wealth and was a desirable trait. Biological imperatives do play a part in aesthetics of humans but a smaller one than people presume

15. Post #15
    April 2010
    1,953 Posts
    Society dictates attractiveness, as their values create and ideal identity which is considered highly desirable for that culture. It's easy to brush it off through a biological standpoint, but that in itself ignores the subjectivity and the evolution of attractiveness. As the OP mentioned, attractiveness has changed over time, during the middle ages for example being rotund was a sign of wealth and was a desirable trait. Biological imperatives do play a part in aesthetics of humans but a smaller one than people presume
    Even then, when you could choose between a fat rich royalty and a muscular rich royalty, the first choice for pretty much anybody would be the muscular one.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,688 Posts
    Even then, when you could choose between a fat rich royalty and a muscular rich royalty, the first choice for pretty much anybody would be the muscular one.
    That's quite a big assumption you've got going there, seeing as you are subjectively judging something through the lens of your society

17. Post #17
    April 2010
    1,953 Posts
    That's quite a big assumption you've got going there, seeing as you are subjectively judging something through the lens of your society
    That's a good point, but the romanticized part of the middle ages is still muscular knights in shining armor. I don't know if it was that like that then or just recently, though.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,681 Posts
    other than the reasons people have already said (courage, determination, and the primitive ideal set), i personally think muscular people just look cool as hell. they have actual features to their body, rather than being lanky or bulbous, both of which are boring looks to me (fat people usually being stinky and lazy as well, really not fun to be around compared to someone not as fat in my experience)

strong friends are just good to have overall, it's nice to be around someone who could in the event of you moving, for example, can actually help you move, rather than get in the way, and in general be a weak little shit whose getting their greasy chip-eating fingers on my expensive furniture

19. Post #19
    April 2010
    2,366 Posts
    I wonder what the human mind would find attractive, if we didn't have the media shoving pictures of skinny girls and muscular guys at us. Now, I like muscular men as much as the next guy, but I'm not into skinny girls, I like em curvy, but I wonder if that'd be different If my mind was never polluted by the media.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,474 Posts
    Might just come from genes, the more muscular a guy is the more likely he would be able to protect you, it would be important in early stages of human life.

21. Post #21
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Slim muscle body = healthy body

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    695 Posts
    I believe this has to do with evolution. Females would prefer mating with a muscular male, because he would have the most chance of surviving, meaning that his genes would also give her children the most chance of surviving etc.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,703 Posts
    I don't really find muscular women particularly attractive. If anything it's a little unattractive to me (because it seems like such a masculine trait, probably).

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,090 Posts
    It's because the media says that it is, same as how the media says that women have to be super skinny and have immaculate facial features to be attractive. You will find that what people found as attractive has changed over the years.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,168 Posts
    They're not to me

I think the 'attractiveness' of Hollywood style muscular men and supermodels is more a product of our culture.

And personally, I don't think either look that good, real people look much better.

Edited:

Oh I'm too slow, carcarcargo said it all.

26. Post #26

January 2012
    3 Posts
    Being muscular is usually associated with courage and determination, the ability to start something and then complete it, while obesity is associated with laziness. There are exceptions, of course.
    I couldn't agree more. I have this opinion too, since I started working out, I understood that we need to be insistent and we get to have other extra motivations for being always in the mood for training. Women like that determination from guys and will be more comfortable standing with that strength, healthy and attractive guy.

27. Post #27
    Dennab
    September 2011
    1,790 Posts
    Because it's sexy.

28. Post #28
    April 2010
    1,953 Posts
    Because it's sexy.
    ...And why is it sexy?

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,326 Posts
    they aren't
    i mean i bit of muscle is fine, but no loads

30. Post #30
    I GOT A TITLE TOO!!!
    July 2010
    2,963 Posts
    Its in our instincts.
    A female looks for muscles for protection.

A male looks for big breasts that can feed our kids, and big thighs to carry them.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,655 Posts
    it's a matter of personal preference. some guys like small tits, some girls like small femine men.

32. Post #32
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Attraction is largely subjective.

I know this at least because some people prefer the exact opposite of muscular bodies.

33. Post #33
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,095 Posts
    I don't really prefer muscular women. Me and my subconscious (my dick) are not really attracted to it.

Edited:

Attraction is largely subjective.

I know this at least because some people prefer the exact opposite of muscular bodies.
    Yup, it's very subjective.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,090 Posts
    Its in our instincts.
    A female looks for muscles for protection.

A male looks for big breasts that can feed our kids, and big thighs to carry them.
    Um, women aren't naturally weak you know, it's all a societal construct.

35. Post #35

January 2012
    3 Posts
    ...And why is it sexy?
    If you really want to know it all, you will have to study some psychology...

36. Post #36
    I GOT A TITLE TOO!!!
    July 2010
    2,963 Posts
    Um, women aren't naturally weak you know, it's all a societal construct.
    I didnt say women are weak, what i meant was that a female often would choose the stronger male for both protection and to make the baby carry his ''stronger'' genes.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,090 Posts
    I didnt say women are weak, what i meant was that a female often would choose the stronger male for both protection and to make the baby carry his ''stronger'' genes.
    But that doesn't make sense since surely if this whole thing was "strong genes" related (which is bollocks any way since strength is determined by environmental factors not genes) surely men would always want strong muscled women since they would also be genetically viable. The idea is just bullshit, the reality is that it is all down to media and social constructs.

38. Post #38
    They are? Most girls I know find too much muscle disgusting, without even a terribly high bar for too much.

39. Post #39
    July 2010
    2,005 Posts
    The thing is: I think we have grown out of SO many other things. Even physical changes have been made. So I don't see why evolution has not changed this, as it would be a lot more beneficial for us? That is how i see evolution. The adaption of ones circumstances.
    Evolution isn't some kind of intelligent being, you know.

40. Post #40
    October 2010
    10,393 Posts
    Same reason we want to find women with bigger boobs. Bigger boobs = can breastfeed the baby