1. Post #1
    July 2008
    490 Posts
    Don't know if this debate was done before, but I'll start one in the hope of getting a conclusive answer on the topic. Relationships boyfriends and girlfriends. Is it easier for a girl to get a boyfriend or is it easier for a guy to get a girlfriend.

In my opinion I think it's easier for a girl to get a guy. Of course it may be a bias, but guys have to do so many things in order to get a girl. The girl just has to have some sort of looks, and just say "Well I want this guy or not." So let the conclusion be devolved by Facepunch !

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Generally the guy is the aggressor so to speak, the one to first talk to and continue on talking, and in some instances, talk first, ask out, pay for shit, plan shit (sometimes), and overall just start everything. So I'd say girls have it easy as shit.

3. Post #3

August 2007
    318 Posts
    I think it's easier for girls, but then again I might be a bit biased.

I think in general, it's always easier for a girl to get a boyfriend than for a guy to get a girlfriend.

If a guy is ugly, the girls might not go for him.

If a girl is ugly, she can go for the ugly guys.

4. Post #4
    July 2008
    490 Posts
    I agree with above statements. Because it is easier the girl just waits for the guy unless your ugly in which case bad luck.

5. Post #5
    September 2011
    868 Posts
    I would say it is easier for the girls as if a guy is too keen clearly they think your after sex.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member

December 2006
    2,632 Posts
    If you take a large sample it's probably equal for both.

The girl just has to have some sort of looks, and just say "Well I want this guy or not."
    This is a pretty sexist way of looking at it and it definitely isn't true.

7. Post #7

August 2007
    318 Posts
    If you take a large sample it's probably equal for both.

This is a pretty sexist way of looking at it and it definitely isn't true.
    Someone hasn't seen High School Musical.

No but honestly, I think it's different from person to person.

8. Post #8
    October 2008
    3,391 Posts
    I think it really depends, but in general, girls have it slightly easier because they just have to wait for a guy to ask them out. If that doesn't happen, they can ask a guy out themselves, and society won't berate them as much as a guy who waits for a girl to ask him out.

9. Post #9
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    It's harder for girls. You just said it yourselves. I girl typically only has to look good.
    Women have more qualities that they value as much as, or even more, than looks.

Getting laid is not the same as having a relationship.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,609 Posts
    I think it's tougher for guys if they lack confidence. Not that I agree with it but typically the guy is the one who makes the first move, a guy who is lacking confidence is at a major disadvantage when girls expect him to approach them first. Girls of course usually need to present themselves well in order to attract attention but even some the fat and unattractive girls I went to school with seem to be doing alright.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,448 Posts
    I think in terms of 'asking out' the the socially awkward guy has a horrible time, but the confident guy has it easy. I've never seen a girl ask a guy out (I know it happens though).

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,845 Posts
    Obviously it depends on the people involved (both male and female) but I reckon if you were to do a survey on hundreds of relationships, overall the guys would have a harder time than the girls.

Of course, it's hard to make a judgment because we (assuming most of the posters in this thread are male) can't see it from the woman's perspective.

In my experience from the two serious relationships I've had (I won't count the other, less serious ones) one girl was very shy and the other made a game of it, so I would say I had a harder time in both.

13. Post #13
    October 2010
    5,668 Posts
    It's not harder for neither in the end.

Just answering the title question.

14. Post #14
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,718 Posts
    Girls are judged more than guys, especially with appearances, so it's only easy for a few and the rest have it rough.

15. Post #15
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    It's not harder for neither in the end.

Just answering the title question.
    This makes sense. After all, it takes two to have a relationship. :)

And if women have higher standards than men, then it goes both ways.
    Men have to try harder to live up to the standards.
    Women have to look harder for suitable men.

16. Post #16
    October 2009
    1,847 Posts
    Stating an observed inequality between men and women /= sexism. In western society, women usually play the passive role in the process of starting up a new relationship, while men usually play the active role. This probably stems from the fact that young women have less of a sex drive than young men, which causes a few possible issues, from "he only wants to have sex with me" to "I can afford to be picky because I can basically pick and choose." This means that a guy looking for a relationship has to constantly take risks, whereas a girl doing the same just has to pick and choose. Obviously this is not a universal rule, but it holds true surprisingly often.

My own life contains both an example of this in play, and an exception to the rule. I was friends with my now-girlfriend for years before we started dating. I had a huge crush on her the entire time, but I didn't tell her simply because I was afraid of rejection, and happy enough just to be with her even as a friend. As it turned out she had a crush on me for a while too, but she assumed I wasn't interested since I didn't ever show any signs of being into her. After a long, LONG time she started having those feelings again and decided to go all-in and ask me out, defying the traditional gender roles.

So in short, starting a relationship is complicated, but because of the way our society is put together, most of the responsibility to act often falls upon the male.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,167 Posts
    I think the problem is that for a girl it's much harder to be rejected if she asks a guy out and makes her move, since most of the time the man will be willing to at least try something.

18. Post #18
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    It's not that hard for a guy if he just has his balls dropped and is confident that he REALLY wants to spend time with the girl he's aiming for. I would probably do this more often if I only found someone interesting. Maybe my standards are too high, but I just don't see people that I want to know better.

Maybe I'm starting to get asexual, who knows. Just trying to contribute a bit.
    Also, Paravin, I didn't know you were in Mass Debate.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,478 Posts
    Having helped lots of friendgirls with relationship problems, I'm pretty sure it's about equal.

20. Post #20
    January 2012
    34 Posts
    I don't see how it's "hard" to get into relationships, maybe it's difficult if you have Asperger Syndrome and are crippled by the concept of spending time with someone you enjoy being with. Therefore this argument is flawed from the get-go.

21. Post #21
    July 2008
    490 Posts
    An argument cannot be flawed at all. Your simply stating your facts, and contending it with another person. So all in all I don't see the point. Anyway your just simply saying your opinion the argument and debate was about is it easier for genders, not is it hard to get a relationship. To be honest quite frankly I think relationships have to due with confidence, and confidence comes with age. Which is why you see younger relationships just falling over on their faces, and older relationships lasting quite longer.

Maturity, and other factors determine these attributes I guess.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,771 Posts
    Probably the girl has it easiet. If a girl pinned a guy onto a bed randomly, he'd probably be ok with it and let it go.
    If he pinned a girl to a bed however, it'd be crazy and probably get him bitched at.

Edited:

But that's a case-by-case thing

23. Post #23
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    the concept of easiest confuses me.
    how do we objectively say something is the easiest when no-one can be both genders at the same time?

24. Post #24
    May 2011
    1,230 Posts
    Honestly in general I think girls have it easier, and in general they're more manipulative and able to control hormone filled teenagers (and adults) who think with their dicks.

However, the experience differs from person to person, there will be some guys who have it easier than some girls, it just depends on who you are.

25. Post #25
    June 2010
    464 Posts
    If he pinned a girl to a bed however, it'd be crazy and probably get him bitched at.
    That's because that's a step towards sexual assault/rape.

Unwanted touch is unwanted touch.

26. Post #26
    Tabasco Lord
    September 2005
    9,127 Posts
    You can't really just narrow it down like this.

27. Post #27
    IT WAS ONLY $1 SO WHY NOT BUY A TITLE?
    March 2007
    3,102 Posts
    Don't know if this debate was done before, but I'll start one in the hope of getting a conclusive answer on the topic. Relationships boyfriends and girlfriends. Is it easier for a girl to get a boyfriend or is it easier for a guy to get a girlfriend.

In my opinion I think it's easier for a girl to get a guy. Of course it may be a bias, but guys have to do so many things in order to get a girl. The girl just has to have some sort of looks, and just say "Well I want this guy or not." So let the conclusion be devolved by Facepunch !
    Girls can be less attractive and still have more luck. To give you an example, I'm not too bad looking and neither is my female friend. She does however have large breasts but she doesn't dress to show this off.

We both tried a dating site and she had 60 pages in her inbox after a few weeks. I had like 3 girls respond out of the many I messaged (None messaged me).

In short, in getting a companion, girls have it a lot easier. Plus, it's socially acceptable for girls to cover up their faults (Make-Up) but Men are expected to be muscular, fit, and be naturally good looking.

We're also expected to be financially well off because it's the social norm to pay for your girl's dinner, etc.

28. Post #28
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    but plenty of girls have trouble finding a relationship.
    the misconception here is that girls will go for just anyone which really just isn't true.

29. Post #29
    Extraction Point
    July 2006
    8,161 Posts
    It's easier for attractive people.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,474 Posts
    It isn't 'easier' for either gender. It's solely based upon individuals and their traits.

However, I will say that it's easier for men to be involved in multiple relationships without being judged negatively by their peers.

31. Post #31
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,832 Posts
    There may be aspects that are easier for each gender, but I'd reckon it's overall 50/50.

32. Post #32
    March 2010
    1,733 Posts
    For getting laid, it's easier for a girl.. for maintaining a relationship, it's just as hard/easy for both guys and girls.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    15,471 Posts
    the concept of easiest confuses me.
    how do we objectively say something is the easiest when no-one can be both genders at the same time?
    The least amount of effort

34. Post #34

October 2011
    63 Posts
    Easier for girls.

35. Post #35
    November 2008
    869 Posts
    Because men usually ask women out, it's harder for men to start a relationship. Though I dunno, maybe it's hard for the woman to wait for the one who will ask her out.
    Really depends on the case, but I guess that building up confidence to ask someone out 'is' harder than waiting for someone to ask you out.

But damn, asking someone out sure feels good for the very few first times. Adrenaline rush and all that, I guess it gets easier and duller.

36. Post #36
    January 2012
    61 Posts
    usually the guy has to take initiative to ask the girl out. So the guy.

37. Post #37
    July 2007
    1,038 Posts
    I personally feel that there is an equal amount of weight upon both genders.

Males: The first thing that comes to mind is confidence. The male is usually the one to instigate the communication with the female and with that they are the ones that face judgment. Now there are many males who don't have a lot of confidence which makes it a lot harder for them to ask out girl. The other problem males face is the simplicity of which they live their lives. Males don't ask for much but at the same time don't expect much either for the most part which will lead onto my argument at the bottom.

Females: Females are the choosers but what allows them the capability to do this is their appearance towards males. Females have to endure the constant struggle to make themselves look extremely presentable towards males which is hard to do. The other problem is that females tend to be much more emotional than their male counterparts which is what leads them to beg for attention or try to gain acceptance.

The reason that both genders have an equal amount of trouble is that they have attributes that conflict with each other. The females relentless need for comfort doesn't connect with the males need for simplicity. Once a male is in a relationship it is more or less cruising on from there unless they are unable to cater to the needs of the female which is why they tend to cheat (both genders).

I probably just rambled off topic but I hope that gets my point across.

38. Post #38
    This is extremely subjective to who is the one looking for a relationship.
    Like, god, this guy must have SUCH trouble getting girls

and on the other hand, these girls can get whoever they want

Even beyond appearance, the personality and who they actually are is also important. Gender is a minor factor.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,214 Posts
    First off OP, define relationship.

Secondly no matter how ugly you are as a girl, chances are there is some guy out there who would sex you up.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,478 Posts
    My girlfriend made a move before I did because she was worried I wouldn't.